Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Being the nit picky poo poo I am, my favourite thing is "this game is full of details" as we pan past Child Nate's world map with the "Russian Federation" on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's about right that the best of Uncharted! intro scene has basically no Uncharted 3.

but it barely has any Sully so it's bad.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I despise when things do the thing they did with Sam here, in all honesty. Not the being shot thing, the "incredibly important family member who suddenly exists" thing. It's never smart, well written or interesting. It always comes across as something they decided well after the fact, which is probably because that's always the case. There's not much reason why you couldn't have had Sam be a family friend or acquaintance of some import.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The memory card for the PS1 is a little small, the controller plug is way too big and the triggers on the DualShock 1 are PS3 ones. :colbert:

Give respect to the best PlayStation, the PlayStation 1 please Naughty Dog

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Of all the bad ideas Drake has had in these games, and it might be like a 100:1 Bad:Good ratio, lying to his wife at the end there is probably the worst. What a moron that dude is.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm glad Sully is back, but man, the pacing in this segment is glacial. I'm sure the exploration Chip went contributes to that too, but there seems like there's a lot of padding here. They're only supposed to have 10 to 15 minutes here.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Good dad Sully telling Nate to get his poo poo together with his wife is good, once the best, always the best.

I don't think the weather in Scotland is ever fine though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bobjr posted:

Drake doesn't know Nadine, he knows of her from Sully, and like Sully is going to let an attractive woman go on without meeting Victor Sullivan.

Why'd you think the line went dead for while? :wink:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I think someone should go back through and get a counter running for every time a hand hold you climb on any fashion gives way and you almost fall to your inevitable death but don't and see if it comes out higher than Nate's kill count for the game.

(say, a pole you swing on falls out of the wall almost, or the window ledge breaks off but you drop and you hang on a gap one nate length below)

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 22, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sure it's based on the original etymology, but we've been using "kak" as slang for "poo poo" for as long as I've been alive here in northern England but I had no idea it actually meant anything in any other language.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This level must have a solid hour of straight up walking and zero difficulty platforming. This level sucks. Sure, it looks alright, but that's about all it has going for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How did he know the Cross+Scale trick would even work?

He obviously never tested it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bobjr posted:

I thought he noted the floor and you see him talking to Sam when Nadine is trying to get a hold of Rafe. That or Nate just knows he's a natural at destruction.

I meant Avery.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sully is no racist. There are women of all races for him to lech on so he can't bring himself to dislike any of them.

Scotland was pretty lovely in terms of just travelling to places. This place at least makes it interesting in its interactivity. Cars are fun.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A lot of the stuff that seems to make people gush about this game does nothing for me, but the bit with the car sliding off the cliff and becoming something you platform on and stuff for a little while is very drat cool.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is a weird game really.

They've put so much attention into so many little things about it that show they do give a gently caress about nailing tiny details, a whole lot of them, but there are so many that make zero sense. Like the Russian Federation map in the intro (or whenever Kid Nate orphanage was) despite the fact it wouldn't exist at that point, or the 200 year old notes of paper that aren't at all badly aged or damaged. A cave or a bag isn't going to protect your rickety rear end old paper for 200 years on an island in the middle of Madagascar.

The guide wheels C+I have pointed out on the crates a bunch where they really wouldn't be, and the fact that no human life has passed these places and disturbed things in areas that 100% would have had foot travel. There's no way on earth that this archipelago in the latest ep wouldn't have been picked clean by people. It's all well and good saying "secret treasure hunt!" and poo poo, but we have god-drat helicopters and drones. They can't hide this from a birds eye view. Then of course there's the "haha! rubble blocks the way again!" entry point.

Obviously, they want to have things like notes able to be found, but I think they can do a bit more to be inventive about their actual locations, or level design as a whole.

Naughty Dog have talented artists, but I'm very much unsold on the world building. The Last of Us was probably better for this, and the fact they care make the misses, which are quite frequent, sting more than they ought to.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 19, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

That only really excuses a handful of the things though, it's not necessarily something they're trying to push especially hard in this one too. They're giving a more realistic vibe than 1 to 3.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mostly a tone thing, really.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why does it skip the cool bit????

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Watch_Dogs 1 should have been about Aiden trying to complete a single day without life taking a dump on him for being an insufferable prick, culminating in a boss battle against God which you simply can't win because Aiden is just that much of a prick.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

stunning penmanship for a dying man.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The long lost city of Libertalia, which one Samuel Drake believes he discovered after 300 years, but was actually discovered by some dude in Kentucky loving around on Google Maps a couple of years ago.

'cos there's no way that place is hiding in the age of satellites.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Apep727 posted:

I thought we established way back when that Elena is a hard-core old-school gamer like that. And that that PS1 is probably the same one she got way back when it was new. At least, that's the conclusion I came to.

She wouldn't have knock off dual shocks if she were an hardcore old school gamer.

Say no to MadCatz

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have two fully working fat PS1's, one that is a Frankenstein made from dead friends that works fully*, a slim that is fine and the 2 dead friends hanging about so I can donate their organs to Frank if he needs them.

Not that I ever play any of them nowadays.

*No idea how.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Even considering the living PS1's I have now, I'd say my experience with Sony consoles is overall negative when it comes to their long livedness. I've had a bunch of dead PS1s growing up, 3 or 4 dead PS2s thanks to lovely disc drives. I had the old only works upside down PS1 too, naturally.

The only PS2 I still have is a slim and it has a very, very finicky memory card slot 1 and very bizarre issue where it refuses to read dual layer DVDs unless I push above the memory card slot area with a fair degree of force. After it boots doing that, it reads without issue until it's powered off.

Both fat PS3s I had sounded like wind turbines and eventually got dead blu-ray drives. The slim (not the ugly rear end final slim revision) I have now works fine and runs silent. The PS4 I used to have in the house before it moved out with my brother works fine and runs very quietly, which I'm lead to believe is kinda rare for a launch PS4.

I just put it down to planned obsolescence.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lots of people/countries eat horses.

Not good if they slip it in your value brand lasagna without telling you though...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bot 02 posted:

"Article five: Don't abandon your allies"?

Libertalia wasn't destroyed, it just became modern-day NATO.

A needless relic of the past that is causing a lot more aggro than it warrants? yeh kinda

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

"These guys don't kill anyone in cold blood, it's just not their style"

Hmm...

Nate would be totally dead from that fall at the end too, if the cliff didn't do his neck in, the water would drown him.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Dec 29, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sam's an horrible person. Rafe's an horrible person who is 100% guaranteed to get his comeuppance. Nadine is an horrible person who is increasingly without consequence for her shittiness to the point where she's probably getting away with everything. Nate's an horrible person who is 100% guaranteed to get away with everything. Sully is a good person. Elena is also a good person who is married to a man-child and deserves better (aka Sully). The problem is that the game frames Sam and Nate as likeable when they're pretty much not. It's hard to care about Sam at all because of the whole sudden brother thing. The villains are always meant to be interchangeable but protagonists in sequels aren't.

Sully's like my boy Colonel Campbell, just with a bit worse voice acting and less "remember that time in Uncharted 2 that he was an AI".

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 30, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Correct in everyway except all the wrong bits on line 2 (all of line 2)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Two physically strong (see: mountain climbing with ease without gear) people like Sam and Nate who are practised in fighting would beat the gently caress out of 99% of people on earth in a 2 on 1 situation. The 1% would be actual professional fighters who are extremely skilled at fighting and fully trained for it. They'd knock the poo poo out of Nadine. Doubting that aspect of the game isn't exactly strange and it's definitely not some stupid "you're just reinforcing that women should be eye candy in games things" like that dude on the last page said.

It's not even a case of being good at fighting. It's a case of Nate grabs person, Sam punches person because person can't defend themselves. There's not much nuance in a 2 on 1.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 30, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Oh cool, we're talking about what real people in the real world who can really fight this well and climb stuff this easily again.

Now let's talk about how none of the supposed 'Good Guys' seem to have any value for human life, as Nathan shoves a man off a cliff and jokes 'Enjoy the trip!' as he crashes on sharp outcroppings of rock. The HR department's eyes growing more haggard as the sudden spike in deaths force them to stay another three days.

You need 5 minutes I reckon, honestly.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chip Cheezum posted:

So before we get back to seeing what Nathan Drake's up to, let's check out something I'm extremely hyped for: Nier: Automata! The demo's been out for a week or so now, but I've just now been able to get time to record it. It's...... really good. Like holy moly.

A Look at the Nier: Automata Demo

I'd be really surprised if there's not something in Very Hard mode that makes it realistically beatable by excellent players. Kind of like Revengeance is Rising is 100% a gimmick difficulty.

Either way, this demo owns and I'm too hyped for the full thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The animations are super charming too and show more personality and character than most characters I've seen in other games, despite the fact 2B's a robot and not a person.

Like, Uncharted 4 definitely tonks NieR Automata on its face animations every time, but I'd take all the rest of NieR's incidental and combat ones over U4's despite U4's animation game being (rightly) universally praised.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Sam gets out of the horrors of two weeks in Colombian jail and finds that his little brother got adopted by a cigar box in human form.

The best boy by any other name

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was actually kind of digging this entire chapter despite not really being into this exploration based stuff in general but the entire "lol i'm gonna drop dead now" thing really takes a shine off the whole thing. It was a chill chapter where they find out about mom and an old friend set them on their way, it doesn't need a dramatic end, it works as a motivation piece without it. And people say ND are the only people who can write good games.

Oh and then they get betrayed by the magic handholds of convenient breaking suddenly. Shameful. Also stop saying Nathan's name in earshot of the cops when you're on the run Sam.

and I hope Nate was a bit more vague and evasive about the bit where he left an old woman to die to his wife.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 5, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

There was an entire police department there and a bunch ran into the house, I'm sure they found her.

Of course they would, and he also clearly didn't want to do it, but he did do it and it's a really scummy thing even in the circumstances. It's the kind of thing you neatly lie around if you're telling a story in real life. You'd definitely forgive him either way, he was a kid. You'd just never actually expect anyone to slip that nugget of info in.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

standard owl posted:

Middle-aged white men and their emotional problems are so, so far removed from my life and perspective that I am basically watching this LP like an anthropologist studying an isolated tribe. yes this includes Sam, Nate, and gently caress I guess Rafe too? What's up with that guy?? Of all of Chip and Ironicus's LPs so far, this has probably helped me understand old white men the most. Watch_Dogs actually hurt my knowledge more than anything, but I'm really looking forward to MGSV: the Phantom Manpain to round the whole experience out.

You need video games to see middle-aged white men?
Cus there's a bunch of them, I'll introduce you to some.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 6, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The internet always delivers in one way or another :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chip Cheezum posted:

Let's get back to it! Nate has one thing in common with Barry Burton... and that's sluice gates.

And not the bit where he is the greatest video game character of all time, sadly :smith:

• Locked thread