Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bxfenns posted:

I've been looking forward to this ever since the game first released! I can only hope that this game contains nearly as much Sully as 3 did.
So good luck and all that.

This game succeeds in having a fairly even amount of supporting characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

The only thing frustrating about this LP is going to be waiting for the first few chapters. The game starts out slow and its like a show that works better as a binge watch over waiting week after week.

Uncharted 4 was definitely taking some cues from The Last of Us. It's definitely got that TV show pacing, with lots of slower moments and transit with dialogue padding out the action sequences. I think it's in a good way, though. All of the dialogue really helps sell the characterization and story.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WFGuy posted:

It wasn't even necessarily a Deadly bullet wound - considering Babyface Nate here, there's a very good chance that this chapter takes place chronologically before UC1, so Sam's just going to heal over the passage of time. It would explain why Drake never talks about his brother - he feels guilty about Sam's 'death' - and it's also a form of storytelling they haven't exactly done before, so it keeps it interesting.

The Panama prologue is specifically 15 years before Uncharted 4. Assuming everything in the present takes place in each game around the time the game was released, the Panama sequence would have been 2000 or 2001, years before he ever met Elena.

It's pretty clear that the orphanage sequence takes place before Uncharted 3's kid flashback. After what goes down with Sam and Nate on the motorcycle, Sam leaves like he said he would and Nate escapes the orphanage to become a world-traveling runaway until Sully finds him.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Danaru posted:

You know that felt like an unreasonable amount of effort put into betraying Vargas :saddowns: Dude just wanted some pirate treasure, and instead they repeatedly tried to cut him out, then just murdered him outright.

Yeah he was a sleazebag, but dang :saddowns: What a way to go out

I get the impression that Nate was a hell of a lot less moral in his earlier treasure hunting days. He, Sam, and Rafe teamed up to find Avery's haul because they'd become multi-millionaires overnight if they succeeded. Vargas was a stooge they'd give a token bribe to in order to get access to the clues, and that's all. The Drakes clearly thought that killing him was incredibly excessive, but they were fine with cutting him out of the main share.

Even when we first met Nate in Uncharted 1, he's still kind of an rear end in a top hat. He stops Elena from getting valuable footage because it "wasn't in the contract", endangers the reporter tagging along with him by going out into pirate-infested waters without a permit and just expecting to shoot his way out of any trouble, and abandons her to try and keep her from getting involved in their trip to find El Dorado. It looks like it takes the El Dorado adventure and finding a companion in Elena Fisher to get him to actually start chilling out. Even then, their relationship is strained throughout all the games because of Nate's inability to stay too long on the safe side.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ariong posted:

Next to the wedding album is an ancient figurine depicting an elephant that is probably worth tens of thousands of dollars. They're using it as a bookend.

I think Chip and Ironicus were serious about how the Drakes pay for everything: when they get short on cash, they just sell off some trinket he picked up and get 4 or 5 figures.

Actually, don't salvagers make pretty good money?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm kind of surprised about the fact he hasn't seen Sully in two years. Does that mean face to face or no contact completely?

It's been a few months (I played it the day it came out and beat it ASAP), but I think face-to-face. I can't see such close companions totally falling out of contact for years, but Sully's still living the Sully life and Drake has settled down.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Onmi posted:

I don't think Drake is going to travel to Egypt to kill an immortal vampire.

This has made me kinda want to see The Mummy (the Brendan Fraser one), but with the cast of Uncharted for the humans instead.

That was a fine movie.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Arashiofordo3 posted:

Haha, God that was a good film.

It's even more fun to watch it with the commentary, as you get the director and main special effects guy discussing pretty much every scene in detail and anything interesting or funny that happened while filming. Like during the scene where Evelyn knocks over all the library shelves with the ladder, they point out that it's very obviously a male stuntman during the wide angle shots on the ladder and talk about how they were amazed to get such a complex shot of the shelves toppling in one single take.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HEY SULLY! LOOKS TO ME LIKE THE BOAT CAME FROM UP RI-VER!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

Hey you guys know like most 90s/00s movies, The Mummy had a cartoon based on it?

I literally don't remember anything else other than "it exists", but I think it might be a very distant 2nd best in the "spin-off cartoon based on a movie" genre.

Are we forgetting Jackie Chan Adventures?

quote:

Jackie Chan, an amateur archeologist, would prefer to quietly do his work for the local university, but fate has dealt him another hand. When he finds a shield containing a talisman, he runs afoul of The Dark Hand, a criminal organization led by a man called Valmont and guided by the spirit Shendu. Jackie and his family must cooperate with a secret law enforcement organization, Section 13, to counter the threat, and must face dangers that will demand all of Jackie's daring and skill in martial arts to overcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcmpjIfb0OQ

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Cleretic posted:

They make a killer trivia night team.

Now I really want the Uncharted: Home Life game that also includes Nate, Charlie, and Chloe bar hopping and drunkenly playing trivia games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Hatrocious posted:

Expressing my appreciation for Drake hanging the shotgun off himself with a strap instead of sticking it to his back with magic velcro

This is one of my favorite things. I literally can't think of one other game with a dynamically animated sling. Part of it is that it's been so hard to dynamically animate that kind of thing without a lot of glitches and clipping errors, especially with all the other poo poo this game is spending processing power animating.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chip missed it, but around 9:15 in the second video you can hear cars roaring off. In that position you can see the front of the estate, and you can see all the sports cars parked in front speeding away.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

achillesforever6 posted:

Well the story is that Nadine was originally a White South African, but they changed her to black and liked the look and since Laura was already doing mocap and VAing for it they decided to keep rolling with it.

From what I remember, they actually hadn't decided at all on the appearance for Nadine when she was cast. It was only after they had already hired their favorite audition that they decided on a black character, and you can't exactly go up to the person you hired and go "Sorry, we really liked you and were about to pay you but we decided that your voice isn't black enough."

For what it's worth, the IMDB voice cast list shows that they hired a rather diverse cast outside the handful of main characters.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I caught this on the Gex stream and thought everyone needed to see it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I am absolutely down for fanart.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

double nine posted:

Given these are ancient mechanisms that are built to stay closed, would you want to risk getting locked in with the treasure and whatever ancient evil protects it?

Does The Mummy count as the closest we've gotten to an Uncharted movie?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

double nine posted:

You mean other than Indiana Jones?

I'd argue that O'Connell is closer to Drake than Indy is. He mixes the "roguish handsome" style with more overt comedy and a more youthful appearance. Indy's sense of humor is much more understated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta80dsMPsYM

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Bruceski posted:

In that vein, I'd like to see the bad guy's lair when he's told Bond is in the area, some flunky just drops their stuff and walks out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peVkL3ILbNo

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Here's the real version of that flintlock pistol/flashlight:

Still not as boss as this Luger "Night Pistol", carried by the Hitler Guard who patrolled the bunker where Adolf made his final stand:

The gun takes advantage of the fact that human skin is slightly conductive: the grip has brass plates on it that toggle the light on when the gun is held. The light clips on and was carried separately, meant to be mounted on the pistol after removing it from the holster. Only two are known to exist and they're worth around $184,000.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

paragon1 posted:

Aiming with early smooth bore gunpowder weaponry is more of a vague concept than a concrete practice. Even if you do take careful aim your range is going to be like, a little over a hundred yards at best. And that's with a long barreled weapon.

It's why armies that used those kinds of weapons tended to bunch up into really big groups and get really close to each other.

Well, sort of. Smoothbore firearms can actually achieve excellent accuracy, not quite on par with rifled guns but still good enough that you'll hit what you're aiming at within typical combat ranges for your pistol or musket.

The problem is that this is dependent on a properly sized bullet that tightly fits into the bore. Black powder is notoriously dirty when burning, so every shot further clogs the barrel with soot. Armies got around this problem by issuing bullets that were grossly undersized; the Brown Bess musket used by both sides in the American Revolution was nominally .75 caliber, but was issued with a .69 caliber ball. You could keep loading these small balls (shush) down the barrel for a dozen or more shots without needing to clean the gun, at the cost of having absolutely abysmal accuracy. Hunters and target shooters were able to afford cleaning their guns in between each shot, so they could use tightly fitting balls (shush) that went in a straight line most of the way.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shoeless posted:

I was under the impression that using a spherical shot rather than the more aerodynamic bullet designs we have today also contributed to the poor accuracy.

That's correct, but you can still get appreciable accuracy out of a smoothbore firing round shot as long as the bullet is fitting tightly. Not as good as a rifle, but better than "Can't reliably hit a man at 100 yards" as typical military muskets with undersized bullets shot.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Digging around it was apparently for night hunting, but exclusively at close range.

The estimated value starts only around $965, which is surprisingly little for what looks like a pretty rare piece of equipment.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There actually is some incredible detail with the guns in this game, even though some of the fictional weapons Naughty Dog designed that will appear later on are weird and probably shouldn't function the way they do in the game. Like when Drake is reloading a shotgun with loose ammo, you can actually see him shoving shells into the magazine tube instead of just miming it.

Another really good game for photo mode is The Order: 1886. Debate all you want about its quality (I personally enjoyed playing it), but it was clearly meant as a PS4 graphics showcase. Every part of the guns is lovingly detailed, down to being able to see more rounds in the magazine through the ejection port if you go into photo mode right after shooting.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chiefnewo posted:

If everyone who comes leaves with a penny, and one penny is enough to shift the scales, is there someone nearby who is regularly going back to fill the scales with new pennies? Do they have to solve the puzzles each time or is there a back door?

Considering how many pirate corpses litter the place, I'd imagine the number of pirates who actually succeeded was pretty low compared to the number of takers. There probably is a back door though, otherwise the pirates would have to walk back through every trial and you'd need someone to sneak in and reset all the traps. Makes more sense for the traps to automatically reset themselves and the successful pirates exit out the back.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Not to HYPE UP OR ANYTHING but the next few chapters are probably my favorites in the game and made me enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would initially.

And later on the game gets even better!!

Agreed. Scotland takes a long time and is mostly platforming, but we're about to get into some of Uncharted 4's best segments. Not to spoil anything, but we get some epic environments that really take advantage of the PS4's power and one of the best action sequences the series has ever had.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CheeseThief posted:

"...Paradise awaits"

I don't know much about Madagascar but is King's Bay a nice tourist destination? Is this just going to be the pirate retirement village?

Unironically yes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This map is absolutely gigantic and gorgeous. Such a long driving section would probably be painful in a lot of other games, but the dialogue and different interactive areas like the winch segments and climbing towers break it up.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

David D. Davidson posted:

So chip how did you get your hands on a preview copy of Final Fantasy XV?

Although in all seriousness this was my favorite part of playing the game just Nate driving around with Sam and Sully shooting the poo poo a nice little breather amid all the exciting setpieces.

I feel like Uncharted 4 is one of the most "real" games I've ever played, in the sense that the characters feel like real people. Obviously you have to make concessions for things like "Why do they just murder 45 people in a day and not seem even a little bothered by it?", but otherwise it's one of the absolute best games for making the characters relatable and authentic. The dialogue is virtually non-stop and rarely or never repeats, and the crew discusses just about anything under the sun. It's possible to get a nearly perfect sense of who a particular character is from the dialogue, without having to force any explanations with "As you know" segments.

One of the other games that comes to mind with how authentic the characters feel is The Last of Us, which happens to be by the same team.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

So Chip mentioned how weird the ammo for the musket bandoleer looked. This is how musket cartridges normally appeared:

Originally a "cartridge" in firearm terms referred to this little package. It's a paper wrapper with a bullet and enough gunpowder for a single shot; you tear open one end with your teeth, pour a little gunpowder into the priming pan (when percussion caps came on the scene in the mid-19th century, you skipped this step), pour the rest of the powder down the barrel, then flip the nearly empty cartridge around and shove it down bullet first (the paper acts as wadding to help with even propulsion of the bullet). It's much faster than loading from a flask of powder and a loose bag of bullets.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The "muff pistol" is called that because it was a little lady's pistol meant to be hidden in her muff, her furry hand warmer.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Uncharted 4 is a special case because the game does this weird thing where the reticle at large is not actually where the next bullet will go. There's that weird dot that shows up inside the reticle that makes it much more confusing for me.

I think the recoil reticle was interesting and I don't recall seeing it in any game before. It's actually probably the most realistic representation of firearm recoil I've seen in a third-person shooter.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, the next video has probably my favorite action set piece in the Uncharted series. It's up there with the train level.

It's also probably the closest any video game has come to emulating the final chase scene of Mad Max: Fury Road.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Really Pants posted:

If this might only be the second-biggest Naughty Dog set-piece, what's the other one?

It's sort of a combination of set pieces from past games, so it's hard to say which ones are bigger in terms of length or scale. The train level and cruise ship sinking are definitely huge in scale and the desert convoy from 3 is pretty similar to the latter half of this scene, but it's debatable which one takes longer to get through.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Man, I can't wait for Chip to LP Watch_Dogs 2.

Links are :nws:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

citybeatnik posted:

So it's entirely too late at night and I can't sleep so...

http://pirates.hegewisch.net/money.html

https://www.measuringworth.com/calculators/ppoweruk/

Treating that as correct, tossing the 800 pieces of eight in to that calculator gets you ~£111,600.00 in today's money (which could be as little as 27,900 depending on the exchange rate). That's ~$140k. Seems really god drat high.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/currency/default0.asp#mid

This gets you ~£69k for 2005, which in turn is ~£92k (~$114k). Still kind of high but if it's enough to put you out of the business forever it's a decent enough nest egg I suppose.

That's making some hefty assumptions of course.

http://www.w3r-us.org/history/library/seligreptde6.pdf

One pound sterling was work 2.5 to 3.5 pieces of eight (320 to 229 pounds for the pieces of eight) per this document which puts it closer to the £27,900 mentioned above. Which is ~35k. Seems more reasonable.

http://projects.exeter.ac.uk/RDavies/arian/current/howmuch.html

This has a bunch of nifty costs from various periods. Which is where I found this: http://pierre-marteau.com/wiki/index.php?title=Prices_and_Wages

To give you an idea of what that's worth in wages for the time period. It's around what a barrister would make in two or three years or what a skilled textile worker would make in a decade.

Keep in mind all the math being done is while I'm bored/sleep deprived.

It helps that money back then was worth more than it is now in some ways, as the cost of living was far lower. The equivalent of $30,000 would get you a lot farther in 1700 than it does in 2000.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The "second biggest" line is actually a running gag across the whole Monkey Island series.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jetrauben posted:

My big problem with this whole sequence is that it's yet another Cyclopean edifice constructed by our comparatively rag-tag alliance of pirates. It's an escalation that seemingly owes more to the game being the fourth in the series than the actual narrative.

I mean, what is this, the fourth megaconstruction they've built, including elaborate puzzle mechanisms and incredibly sophisticated architecture? It's one thing to expect magnificent architecture and puzzles from an ancient superhuman Tibetan kingdom or an accomplished, possibly-supernaturally-aided city-state deep in the Arabian desert in nearby lands. They had time, and we can't really guess at what sorts of incredible feats these civilizations would have been capable of.

It's quite another for a group of pirates to construct incredible wonders rivalling any of the greatest works of architecture of their day not only on a nearby island (and really, what was the purpose of the watch towers and chambers on Madgascar proper? Libertalia isn't even on the same landmass, so what is it guarding from?) but on a second nearby island, just to decorate their staging area. This stuff would have taken months! Years! And even if we assume they were recruiting people, each of these pirate ships would have held maybe fifty to a hundred people tops?

I mean, Libertalia wasn't intending to be recruiting people for centuries, presumably. This was all an elaborate sales pitch for the most part. The Scotland puzzles - ok, they make sense, sort of; they're just expanding on existing caverns beneath an existing cathedral, and constructed out of basalt. But the Madagascar tower sequence and this one feel like they're not narratively justified in how elaborate they are.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, and its environments are beautiful. The story is otherwise really good. But it feels like the game has one or two megaconstruction chapters too many, basically. In its desire to be a globe-trotting narrative, it chose a poor MacGuffin in (comparatively) so-far-as-we-know mundane treasure?

The bas-reliefs' story of the founding of Libertalia suggests that the pirate captains pooled their treasure and then built Libertalia. The trials could have been a later addition when they got settled and decided to start recruiting more.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jetrauben posted:

Thanks. It's less that it's a question of plausibility and more that the eventual payoff isn't proportionate to the quest itself. Questing for Shambhala or El Dorado or Iram of the Pillars has a grandeur to it that explains why people would build these incredible megaconstructions, Libertalia is just a pirate utopia containing mere money. Like, all the measures taken here to test applicants feel a bit overblown given what's actually being protected is to all appearances just a mundane, if enormous fortune.

I have to be careful because I've already beaten the game and don't want to spoil anything.

My personal view on Libertalia is that it's what the Drakes keep calling it: a pirate utopia. The myth goes deeper than simply all the pirates shoving their gold in a big building and wandering off to die in battle. The blueprints and diorama suggest a serious effort to make a hidden city utilizing their riches, which can be used as a home and a base for further pirating.

Rather than just another Money Pit, it's an attempt at civilization of sorts. It's a city of its own, just with an economy based on raiding and subsistence farming rather than trade of any kind. The trials suggest that the founders wanted to see Libertalia grow, but at least initially only wanted a handful of the toughest and smartest pirates to join.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Chip Cheezum posted:

Hey everybody, just a little heads up. I'm gonna be leaving for Disney World tomorrow, so there aren't going to be any updates until the 12th or 13th at the earliest. I hear one of the restaurants there looks a lot like Uncharted 2.

There's a ton of themed restaurants, but Animal Kingdom has an Asia section that will give you flashbacks to all the Nepal stuff.

• Locked thread