Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I'll admit, I won't be surprised if Nathan's real surname isn't Drake, and that he has - at best - a tenuous tie to Sir Francis from his mother's side. I always got the feeling it was just a story he made up, and his fascination with treasure hunting and explorers/adventurers seems to support it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

GSD posted:

Panama was not a Viceroyalty :argh:

Well, according to Wikipedia, Panama was part of the Viceroyality of Peru until 1821, so :shrug:

Also, are you really expect historical accuracy from a series where the first game included a Nazi submarine somehow having ended up at the top of a waterfall in South America?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

morallyobjected posted:

is there some reason Sam's existence doesn't make sense other than goons not liking it? like he's not my favourite character in the series, but having your brother get shot in a prison and presumably die as far as you know seems like a perfectly reasonable excuse to have not mentioned him at all after it happened, so I can't think of a scene in the first three games that it "ruins"

I think it's mostly because, despite this being the fourth game in the series, this is the first time there has ever been any mention of him. It's especially egregious because the last game had a short section dealing with Nate when he was young (I want to say maybe 13 or 14), and he looked to be living alone and probably on the streets.

Sam also looks to be taking the role usually played by Sully, i.e. older, mentor-type figure who helps Nate out in his adventures. The players know Sully, because he's been in every game so far.

Though Sam might be more accepted if Sully had gotten killed off in the last game, which I'm 95% sure was the initial plan, but I guess that didn't go over well with testers or something.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

fool_of_sound posted:

They've pretended to kill Sully in every game thus far.

Yeah, but I felt like they made a big point of examining his and Nate's relationship, especially with the flashback to how they first met. And I'd swear there was a running theme of how old he's getting. That's practically code for "this character is going to die."

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Yeah, I feel like in UC2 the blue sap stuff had some benefits (like longevity or something) and that the "turns you into a snarling monster" bit only manifested later.

As for UC3, given how Nate had his weird trip after drinking the water maybe once, I think just about everyone who was in or entered the city died pretty quickly. Hence how it got a reputation for being cursed or whatever.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

General Ironicus posted:

You want some dissonance? How about comparing today's Amish to the Radical Reformers they descend from. My wife and I started a history podcast a few months ago, and there's a new episode out today!

Podbean / RSS / iTunes / Stitcher / Google Play Music

This time we talk about the Anabaptists, a movement of related Protestant sects dating back to the early days of the Reformation. Are our civil liberties inspired by people who dropped out of the society they protect? How can small communities survive in isolation, and how could they survive without isolation? Why are people living in modernity fascinated by those who chose not to be?

/shameless plug

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
I think we learned something important here:

Elena is an exclusively old-school gamer. I mean, come on, the only console is an original PS1, none of this emulator, backwards-comparability nonsense.

Why doesn't she have her own game yet?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

morallyobjected posted:

I would play the gently caress out of a game of Elena going around to places for her travel guides and running into unexpected problems

Personally, I'd want more of what she was doing in Uncharted 2 - the investigative reporter going after international criminals and whatnot.

RareAcumen posted:

I want a Chloe spinoff, since it seems she's still doing the interesting game stuff instead of settling down and having a family.

Yeah, but wouldn't that basically be just another Tomb Raider game? I mean, Claudia Black is awesome and all, but I'd want a bit more in a game.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

How, exactly? I'm not entirely sure what'd change from playing as Nathan to Chloe.

Well, here's my logic:

The Uncharted games are basically Tomb Raider, but with a male protagonist, so doing an Uncharted game with a female protagonist would be a bit redundant.

Then again, the Tomb Raider games are basically Indiana Jones but with a woman, so the Uncharted games are only relevant because there aren't really many Indiana Jones games in the first place.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Spalec posted:

I'd totally play an Elena-centric adventute game as she does her photojournalist thing. No shooting guns or anything, just exploration and photography.

Either that or a Sully dating sim.

I could easily see a Sully dating game turning into the video game version of one of those "two dates on the same night" sit-com episodes. With Nate being the best friend helping Sully pull it off. I love it.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

double nine posted:

Also IT'S AN AIR TANK NOT AN OXYGEN TANK. One is for first aid the other for breathing under water. This is not difficult people.

If we're getting pedantic, can I just point out that it's not really "Nate's" salvage company - the name is Jameson Marine Inc (you can see it on the sign @13:22). Jameson is the Black guy Nate was talking to. Nate's maybe co-founder or something.

Also, am I the only one who finds it interesting that Nate's big objection to the proposed treasure hunt is that they don't have permits, given how this series began?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And what happened then? That's right, he got shot at by a bunch of pirates. and met his future wife

He has a wife to think about now! Adventure, bah. Excitement, bah.

Hey, that didn't stop him last time.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Delirare posted:

I was really close to tears at the end of the video. And then the dread started seeping in. What could happen to change the life they have there. Sure, Nate has this longing look and might be a bit of a thrill seeker... please don't let anything bad happen to them.

Calm down. This is an adventure franchise, not a thriller or horror franchise. Nothing too bad is going to happen to Nate or Elena - that's not how the genre works. I mean, they've fake-killed Sully three times now.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

kalonZombie posted:

*two

He was never fake killed in Uncharted 2. He was barely in Uncharted 2 at all.

No, three. They fake killed him twice in Uncharted 3 - once at the beginning and once at the end.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Yeah, I'm thinking worst case with this Malaysia job is they get thrown in prison for illegal salvage (I doubt a Malaysian prison could be any worse than a Panamanian one), or more likely get the salvage confiscated and pay a hefty fine. With the typical Drake adventure, he could get killed any number of ways.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Frantically mashes X

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
RE: "Why is it slimy?"

I'm going to go with because it's old, and this place is clearly gets pretty wet.

Also, what does it say about me that I thought "yeah, pirate code" right before Nathan made that joke?

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

I still think that Rafe voice needs work. :colbert:

Yeah. Personally, I think Rafe sounds like a knock-off Steve Buscemi.

CJacobs posted:

edit: I mean, unless Elena and Drake bought a PS1 because they were feeling nostalgic that is. Maybe the PS1 is another ancient treasure, just like it is today.

I thought we established way back when that Elena is a hard-core old-school gamer like that. And that that PS1 is probably the same one she got way back when it was new. At least, that's the conclusion I came to.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Personally, I'm taking this as conclusive proof that Elena got one of those animal tracking chips implanted under Drake's skin at some point.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

SpookyLizard posted:

Also i thought Evelyn would end up being Rafes grandmother of something.

I was expecting her to end up being Nate's great-grandmother (i.e. their mom was the daughter mentioned in Edward's letter). It would explain how and why she had all those journals - she'd finally made a familial connection, only for it to be taken away. But I guess that would have been too tidy, not to mention the plot-hole over why Nate and Sam weren't living with her.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
That would have been my guess as well. She's built up a brand, so she/her publisher would want to hold on to that.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Clarste posted:

It's pretty obvious that they aren't related because Evelyn clearly knows who Cassandra Morgan is and gave no indication whatsoever that they might be related.

While that's true, Cassandra being Evelyn's granddaughter would have made some sense. It would explain how Cassandra's journals ended up in Evelyn's house, and her sudden change of heart upon learning that Nate and Sam are her kids. Yes, having them just be colleagues also works, but also continues to highlight Evelyn's failure - she might be rich and famous, but at the cost of her family. Having Cassandra be Evelyn's granddaughter allows for her to have learned from her mistakes, and connected with what family she had.

As for why Papa Morgan didn't drop Sam and Nate off with Evelyn (assuming he didn't die suddenly), as well as why he sent her journals to Evelyn instead of keeping them, it's possible that he got sick of Cassandra's obsession, and wanted to keep their kids away from it as much as possible (though, clearly that didn't work). Again, we only have Sam's interpretation of events - he may have only seen his mom taking them around the world on cool adventures, not that she was constantly uprooting her family ("why bother [unpacking]? We'll just be gone in a month."). And that would again echo the general theme of the game - people wrecking their lives because of their obsessions, rather than finding contentment with their current status.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

morallyobjected posted:

Sam tells Nate that someone bought a bunch of their mom's old stuff. it didn't just wind up there for no explained reason. she bought her protege's stuff because she was brilliant and she had some affection for her

Let me clarify - it would be a better explanation for how her stuff ended up there. Yes, they were proteges, but I think Cassandra being Evelyn's daughter gives them more weight - she wasn't just someone Evelyn worked with, she was the only familial connection Evelyn had.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

Rigged Death Trap posted:

And if they were related and worked so closely before youd think the boys would have been introduced at some point.

Given their in-game relationship, you'd think Cassandra would have introduced them to her. They're clearly interested in all this stuff, so they'd love to hang out in a cool mansion/museum while their mom and Evelyn discuss stuff. Hell, you'd think she would have at least mentioned Evelyn at some point. On top of that, if Evelyn is so drat famous (which she looks to be) how is it that neither Sam nor Nate appear to know anything about her?

drat, there's a lot of plot-holes in this. Maybe I should stop thinking about it.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
So, what, she spent possibly years researching the whole "Drake had secret kids" and all that stuff about Avery's treasure, and then just gave it up? But not enough to avoid teaching her kids all about historical figures and Latin? And despite teaching them all that, she never talked about her own past, like when she worked with a super-famous adventurer/archaeologist lady? Because that's the kind of a big deal.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Fine. Whatever. I'm tired of arguing about this.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Apep727 is George Lucas.

Wow. gently caress you too, dude.

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016

akulanization posted:

grow a thicker skin dude.

Sorry if I don't respond well to someone insulting me in the middle of an increasingly annoying argument. And in a thread where I got put on probation for making a joke.

Also, you need to drop the sanctimonious attitude, dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apep727
Jun 18, 2016
Okay, I'm going to get a bit personal here:

I'm an aspiring writer. I want to write fiction, and get paid for it. I want to see stuff with my name on it in book stores and libraries. I like writing, and like to think that I'm pretty good at it.

So when you jokingly compared my narrative sensibilities to George Lucas's (and I think we all know which of his movies you're referencing) I got offended. You might have meant that as a joke, but it's not funny to me. You're not just making fun of my opinion, you're making fun of a core part of who I am.

But hey, you got a chuckle out this, and that's all that really matters, right?

Screw you, you goddamn troll.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread