Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
holy poo poo look at that real time clothing wrinkling o-o

Ground floor for a chip LP gently caress yeh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What did we, as a society, do to deserve naughty dog? I thought the house at the start of Last of Us was detailed and awesome, this is just... Jesus.

All the little details, the warmth, the obvious joy and chemistry the VA's have, the gorgeous mocap, the loving EATING. Like, them just eating their little bowls of... Chicken pasta?... looked more real than what you see in some actual live action media.

And I was getting all teary eyed too. Just... Nate is semi-retired, happy, in love, and content to live what ever is left of his life as it is now despite the occasional pangs of longing for the good old "lets murder truckloads of mans and steal treasure" days.

Nate is a real people :ohdear:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nathan no dont like to elena :(

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlestheHammer posted:

"Elena I have a brother who I thought died but didn't."

" Nate that is very contrived".

"Elana we've destroyed ancient civilizations like three times over the past decade. How is me having a lost brother any more contrived."

"Well you never mentioned him"

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Elana would be better armed if warned that there may be psychopathic south american drug lords out for the blood of anyone connected to the Drake name. Like, she can take care of herself. If she is aware she needs to take care of herself.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is a lot of loot you didn't have to hawk questionably obtained legendary relics OR destroy immeasurably ancient civilizations for, good job!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In ten thousand years, after we've created extinction level events with our lifestyle, life will emerge from the Hudson once more, and Victor Sullivan will be there to greet his oozing brood.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

skullhead tethyis posted:

when's that Wednesday update coming?

once the grabs which breed in great Sul-E-Vahnz wake form the night sky, then the time will be right for the consummation of the marriage.

Fish Noise posted:

Sully Stranding?

this went over my head

FAKE EDIT: damnit chip way to update right when I was making a cthulhu joke about updates

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Okay. The one singular thing that has most impressed me by far, graphically, is the incredibly complex shadows they have. I only realised exactly how complex when they were in the vents. You can see bright areas of reflections on the vents being blotted out by a shadow, but because there are so many light sources, the shadow is still very blurred and negligible dimming of the surface, in what appears to be real time, on all four of the sides of the vents.

:psyduck:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Good dad Sully telling Nate to get his poo poo together with his wife is good, once the best, always the best.

I don't think the weather in Scotland is ever fine though.

I, personally, like to imagine the second half of the conversation went like this.

Drake: Love you, bye!
Elana: *click* that no good lying bastard, he's going to Scotland.
James Cousin of Jeff: How do you know?
Elana: He originally planned a week, now he added three more. So he did a reverse Scotty, which means he doesn't want me to think about Scotland, which means he's going there. Get into the plane!

MEANWHILE

Drake: Heh, reverse Scotty, works every time.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samovar posted:

Limoncello is very, very good.

But I don't get the joke with the crepes?

Oh; I LIKE the costume design of Nadine; she says she feels out of place - she's the only woman wearing trousers in the whole level.

Rich douchebag acts like rich douchebag. He is privately informed he is a rich douchebag acting like such by a guy he buys a crepe from, and then ruins that mans life because he's a rich douchebag.

Then he flubs the story while trying to tell it to his rich douchebag friends.

I agree with Ironicus that it was a good conversation in every way. The levels in it are :allears:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Samovar posted:

Oh. I thought it was a pun in French.

I suppose you could make one with crepe and creep.

And also, as a native French speaking (though from the godless new france and not super amazing home country of napoleon and the metric system), his accent is not HORRENDOUS, but it is very noticeable and anyone with a passing familiarity with the language can tell he's an anglo, probably a brit.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

Quebecer? I'm told that accent sounds as odd to True French as the English one does to Americans.

It does. You can usually very easily spot a european french from a north-american french with accents as you could with an American and a Brit.

Getting a better fix on regional accent/dialect is harder, but it's also similar to the english equivalent.

My paternal grandmother went to Paris once with my mom, and she was trying to order "a tarte au poire" (peach pie/cobbler). Now, she is very heavily Montrealer, and her R's tend to roll a fair bit, so when you have R's close like that it can sort of muddy your phrase.

However, the parisian waiter literally kept going "I do not understand your silly accent" to her. So it was a stream of "Une tarrrrte au poirrre" and "Quoi" in a vicious cycle of french and parisian smug that nearly cratered france.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bruceski posted:

Impressive. I took French in high school and spent a couple of weeks there so naturally I assumed I was pretty good at it. Tried to show off to a French guy at summer camp and he was almost physically hurt by how bad my accent was. Basically the only difference between me and the game's anecdote is I didn't break anyone's kneecaps. And of course that was back when I was actively using the language. These days I just try to keep "I'm sorry, my French is very bad, it's been [X] years since I've used it" memorised should the need to communicate ever show up.

Man, now I want to hunt down an old commercial from the 90s or early 00s. I can't recall what it was for, but the punchline was a prasebook-using tourist saying "je voudrais faire une achete" in not only bad pronounciation but also a full American Southern drawl.

Oh god he butchered the last word. Translation, he said "I want to make a purchasing", basically. Achete is what you use for a past tense or just a different sentence structe. "je voudrais acheter" would be the proper way of saying that. In the structure you wrote, he should say "Achat", pronounced like "a-sha", or "a cat" in french.

But if you want to see the biggest differences between the languages, just look at the swears. French (from france) swears tend to be similar to english ones; scatological, sexual, descriptive this. poo poo, balls, whore, whorehouse, etc.

Quebecois swears are entirely religious. Host (Ostie), Tabernacle (Tabarnak!), Chalice (Calisse/Kaliss/cawliss depending on accent and how you wanna spew it), and so on. It's just a weird and fascinating aspect of language and culture that is great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUGW0jszPzo

Uncharted; Bringing people together over linguistic and grammar trivia. :eng101:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

standard owl posted:

Hey, you know there was at least one new character where everybody else wasn't all, "It's been a while after our long and storied past together, full of interesting anecdotes that will only be alluded to."

Jeff!

And most of the bad guys. So not knowing Drake before an adventure means you die.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SlothfulCobra posted:

If only there was a simple word or phrase to refer to when the demands of the story and narrative conflict with the needs of the gameplay. Maybe some kind of academic-sounding thing with a latin rootword.

maybe make it a chievo

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

On a side note this game is loving gorgeous, I honestly am impressed at how good Naughty Dog is at taking systems to their absolute limit. Crash had a ton of poo poo that they did with it that was stretching that console too, iirc.

i dread the day where naughty dog is bought out by a megapublisher and destroyed

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Veotax posted:

They were brought by a megapublisher, they're owned by Sony.

Sony isn't EA, Ubi, or Activision tho.

for one thing, Sony probably understands the idea of "These guys make games that sells consoles for us"

I mean, poo poo, the number of PS4s we unloaded because of the Last of Us HD re-release was staggering at times (We had two bundles when I still worked at Target. the GTA V one and The Last Of Us. I would always recommend the latter)

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xinder posted:

I finished rewatching all of the Uncharted 3 LP and now I'm here to yell at Chip for being a drat dirty liar. We never got those Uncharted 3 mp videos.

:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grapplejack posted:

29 ... Then Sully got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Nathan. 30 But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Nate, save me!”

31 Immediately Nathan reached out his hand and caught him. “Aw,” he said, “Kitty got wet?”

Your ideas intrigue me and I would like to subscribe to your publication.

• Locked thread