Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Venice. I've done decent with Trade, but would love to see actual examples of managing trades routes, light ship fleets and merchants in play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Sweden sounds good. It's challenging, but still explainable. Venice might help with explaining trade, but you'd sacrifice explaining most of the rest of the game unless you play for years and years. :v:

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

:dukedog:
College Slice
I'll be closing voting tonight...sometime. As of now, voting stands at:

Sweden - 14
Venice - 8
Ottomans - 3
Castile - 2
Brandenburg - 1
England - 1
Poland - 1
Portugal - 1
Popes - 1

Edit - I have also added a list of currently planned updates to the OP. I've seen some experienced EU4 people here, so if you have any criticism of the update order or other suggestions for improvement please don't hesitate to call me out.

Dreissi fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 11, 2016

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
As someone who would really like to get into EU4 but has no goddamn idea where to start, thanks in advance for this.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

Grizzwold posted:

As someone who would really like to get into EU4 but has no goddamn idea where to start, thanks in advance for this.

Ditto, it was a similar Let's Play that got me into Crusader Kings II so here's hoping this'll teach me how to wrap my head around EUIV. Also, a last minute (and probably irrelevant) vote for England.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Friesland

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
Poland must into space.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

venice

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
venice

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

AdventFalls posted:

Poland must into space.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Venice is the truest path

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

I'm going to have to ask for Venice here.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice

AdventFalls posted:

Poland must into space.

Well I'm very sorry, but Poland CANNOT into space! Välkommen to the introductory nation of the EU4 guide, Sweden!

Excuse me, Sweden!

I am flying halfway around the world early Saturday morning, so the first update will not be ready until Monday at the earliest. The first update will include the following topics:

An introduction to the user interface - there's a lot of numbers and buttons - too many in fact for the introductory update. We will go over some critical UI elements in this session and introduce others as they become relevant to our nation (we specifically will not be covering different map modes, trade, and the military overview tab).

Provinces - when you lose all of these, you die. There's a lot more to go over though!

Introduction to diplomacy - as Sweden, we either have to remain slaves in the unjust Kalmar Union (which we aren't going to do, no votes this time), or we are going to find allies to support our struggle for independence. We will review wars for independence, royal marriages, alliances, and how royal marriages can lead to personal unions (the subservient status we find ourselves in at the beginning of the game).

A question about images from here on out:

Earlier (I believe in the sand-castle), someone complained about posting the images in this thread as thumbnails - the idea was that screenshot heavy LPs are a pain to read when you have to constantly click on the image. Full size images seem, well...too big. Thread, if you want thumbnails back they are yours to have.

If there's some happy medium, I can also go in and play with the resolution to make the images less expansive.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
rude. venice was coming from behind.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

this is a stickup posted:

rude. venice was coming from behind.

:agreed:

Rodnik
Dec 20, 2003
Venice, but I'm sorry you should probably play in the professional paradox mapgoons league for a few games before you start showing off your chops kiddo. You are just going to embarrass yourself unless you prove yourself against us.

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice
Sorry everyone, I couldn't bring myself crush the will of the people.

Rodnik posted:

Venice, but I'm sorry you should probably play in the professional paradox mapgoons league for a few games before you start showing off your chops kiddo. You are just going to embarrass yourself unless you prove yourself against us.

Are you saying Venice is a good intro multiplayer nation? I'm confused.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011
Not really, but if you're good at it you can very much make it work:

This is exactly why you should do the LP as Venice!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Venice is fine, okay.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Well this is certainly going places.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Screenshots:

I'd go for a resized but not thumbnailed if it still keeps the font easily readable. That one above there is way too large.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Yeah, I meant you should put up images resized to a forums-friendly size. This is often done by cropping out irrelevant parts of the screen for whatever you are showing. Full-size is too big.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I realize this is too late now, but I'm going to be contrarian here and say that Venice is an awful country to start an introduction to EUIV with.
What you are looking for when you are explaining the game to newcomers are countries that forgive you some bumbling around in the early game, because most people new to the game will try to replicate the game that the LPer played. As such countries like England, France or Castille are usually your best options: England can just retreat to the British isles and turtle up, France is France and doesn't give a poo poo and Castille has the dominant position on the Iberian peninsula and a good chance to PU Aragon.
Sweden can work, but may be finnicky to replicate for newcomers, since you need to get out of the PU and that can be quite tough, depending on how some of your neighbours fare. Sweden is in a pretty vulnerable position that makes it hard to replicate. For the same reason Venice is an awful start, since you need to be pretty familiar with all mechanics of the game to get income graphs like the one shown earlier.
I'd recommend playing as France, since it easily allows a hybrid playstile where you can dip into HRE politics, colonialism, land wars and sea wars while being one of the strongest starts in Europe.

Also: regarding images you should crop the images to what you want to show and if you want to show a big map shot, then you can timg those single screenshots.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

france is loving boring unless the player isn't any good

Dreissi
Feb 14, 2007

College Slice
Thinking about it this morning - big map shots are going to be pretty rare, so I'll keep resolution as is and cropping should take care of the problem.

Also - and I'm embarrassed to say I didn't think of this before starting - I just thought to look up the old CK2 text guide in the archives. I'm going to do my best and take some lessons from that - it's pretty great.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

france is loving boring unless the player isn't any good

You do realise that this is going to be an introductory LP, not a narrative or challenge one, right?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How about a compromise, we fill Venice with Ikeas?

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

sheep-dodger posted:

You do realise that this is going to be an introductory LP, not a narrative or challenge one, right?

This vote is kind of a catch-22: only people who have already played a fair amount of EU4 are likely to vote, but they probably don't remember what new players are actually looking for. New players might be watching the vote, but they wouldn't want to risk voting for a country that isn't fun, since nobody likes a boring LP, even if the end result is playing as a complicated country that dissuades them from playing.

Sweden isn't really hard to play when compared to the minor states (like Aragon and Scotland), but it requires an early finesse that makes it an awkward choice at best. Venice is...an odd duck.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

you can introduce pretty much everything in terms of controls and concepts with either Venice or Sweden - what can France do that either of those countries cannot?

seriously while knowing nearly zero about EU4 you can fire up France 1444 and be juuuust fine.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

seriously while knowing nearly zero about EU4 you can fire up France 1444 and be juuuust fine.

I've got a friend who wants to play EUIV since he's seen me (and a group of others) play it but has no idea how to play. I'll ask him if he's willing to do it, and to take a few screenshots of the results.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thetruegentleman posted:

This vote is kind of a catch-22: only people who have already played a fair amount of EU4 are likely to vote, but they probably don't remember what new players are actually looking for. New players might be watching the vote, but they wouldn't want to risk voting for a country that isn't fun, since nobody likes a boring LP, even if the end result is playing as a complicated country that dissuades them from playing.

Sweden isn't really hard to play when compared to the minor states (like Aragon and Scotland), but it requires an early finesse that makes it an awkward choice at best. Venice is...an odd duck.

I've never played EU4 and I voted for Sweden because I had no clue if they were an easy start or not. I only knew it was historically a perpetually "almost a great power" nation and figured that would make it a fun nation for beginners.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

I've got a friend who wants to play EUIV since he's seen me (and a group of others) play it but has no idea how to play. I'll ask him if he's willing to do it, and to take a few screenshots of the results.

this would be awesome

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what can France do that either of those countries cannot?
:killdozer: from pretty much day 1.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Poil posted:

:killdozer: from pretty much day 1.

that's not really all that fun or interesting though

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

thetruegentleman posted:

Other than breaking the Kalmar Union Sweden is pretty similar to England, which has to deal with an early war with France anyway. Potentially you're even in a better position to colonize really early, if you take Iceland from Norway. It's not really that awkward unless you're comparing to the Ottomans or Portugal.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's not really all that fun or interesting though

We really seem to be expecting very different things from this LP.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

We really seem to be expecting very different things from this LP.

why are "introduce game concepts in an informative manner" and "don't play an absurdly OP country" mutually exclusive to you?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

I point out the OTTOMANS was also an option.

I've had the Ottomans cause troubles for me when playing on the other side of the Med!
Also, you know, the Austrians, which wasn't even on the list. Though hopefully the LP will cover why Austria, Ottomens, France are all terrifying juggernaughts early on.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why are "introduce game concepts in an informative manner" and "don't play an absurdly OP country" mutually exclusive to you?

As I have tried to point out I don't care about the latter, because I think it helps new players to start with a strong country and have a guide that they can roughly follow, instead of one that will go off the rails within the first 20 years because every independence war against Denmark will shake out differently. But since the decision's been made it's a moot point and this is the last post I'll make on the topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Updates when mighty OP?