Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

I realize this is too late now, but I'm going to be contrarian here and say that Venice is an awful country to start an introduction to EUIV with.
What you are looking for when you are explaining the game to newcomers are countries that forgive you some bumbling around in the early game, because most people new to the game will try to replicate the game that the LPer played. As such countries like England, France or Castille are usually your best options: England can just retreat to the British isles and turtle up, France is France and doesn't give a poo poo and Castille has the dominant position on the Iberian peninsula and a good chance to PU Aragon.
Sweden can work, but may be finnicky to replicate for newcomers, since you need to get out of the PU and that can be quite tough, depending on how some of your neighbours fare. Sweden is in a pretty vulnerable position that makes it hard to replicate. For the same reason Venice is an awful start, since you need to be pretty familiar with all mechanics of the game to get income graphs like the one shown earlier.
I'd recommend playing as France, since it easily allows a hybrid playstile where you can dip into HRE politics, colonialism, land wars and sea wars while being one of the strongest starts in Europe.

Also: regarding images you should crop the images to what you want to show and if you want to show a big map shot, then you can timg those single screenshots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

france is loving boring unless the player isn't any good

You do realise that this is going to be an introductory LP, not a narrative or challenge one, right?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's not really all that fun or interesting though

We really seem to be expecting very different things from this LP.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why are "introduce game concepts in an informative manner" and "don't play an absurdly OP country" mutually exclusive to you?

As I have tried to point out I don't care about the latter, because I think it helps new players to start with a strong country and have a guide that they can roughly follow, instead of one that will go off the rails within the first 20 years because every independence war against Denmark will shake out differently. But since the decision's been made it's a moot point and this is the last post I'll make on the topic.

• Locked thread