Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Zeroisanumber posted:

Look, I'm normally on the "gently caress MIGF" bandwagon, but he's right that the blue laws are bullshit.

I'm not saying they aren't! I'm for Sunday sales, but boiling the opposition down to "Dumb midwestern Christians thumping bibles and loosing all there jobs to wisconsin" shows a completely vacuous understanding of the issue. He started a MN politics thread, the least he could do is learn anything about MN politics.

edit: I'm bad at words

Grand Theft Autobot has issued a correction as of 04:29 on Aug 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Yeah last time they voted on Sunday liquor sales, the majority of Republicans actually voted (just barely) in favor of Sunday sales. It was the DFL that sunk the bill because of opposition by Teamsters.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I honestly don't know why the Teamsters are opposing Sunday sales, but if they are maybe I should rethink it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

They say it's because "we might have to renegotiate our contracts" but the reality is that the Teamsters AND the owners of liquor distribution and retail just don't want their monopolies to be weakened. It ultimately has nothing to do with the stated reason of the unions or the owners. The owners say "b b but we'll just sell the same amount of product and have to pay more in wages" but this is baloney too.

Their real fear is the collapse of the three-tier system and/or the the ability of non-dedicated stores to sell full off-sale. Both of these systems allow massive profit, because they raise huge barriers to entry, and divide the market in an arbitrary way that criminalizes business models that are legal and standard in every other industry. If a small brewery can sell and transport their product directly to retailers (i.e. vertical integration), this cuts out the fat profits that distributors have been making for decades. And if a grocery store or Target can sell liquor in the regular part of their store, nobody is going to waste time driving to one of the two crappy little liquor stores nearby, because it would be a waste of time, thus cutting out incumbent local monopolies that have been sitting on a hard-won liquor retail license for generations. This is their real fear, that their lovely monopolies will be cut down. And they deserve to be cut down, because we pay 20% more for liquor than the national average.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

gret posted:

Yeah last time they voted on Sunday liquor sales, the majority of Republicans actually voted (just barely) in favor of Sunday sales. It was the DFL that sunk the bill because of opposition by Teamsters.

This is why I say the DFL is a backwards-assed organization. In IL, we have sunday sales. Know what? Our teamsters are more organized than yours. I should know, I've been a teamster before entering political work.

Your alcohol prices are too goddamn high for no loving reason. You're losing tax revenue to WI. That's stupid, and it costs the state money that could otherwise be going towards rail infrastructure. What y'all need is a Democratic house majority run by a Madiganesque speaker. Now that would be something.

One of the ways to get Sunday sales is, what ya do is delegate the power to an appointed board and you make sure that the board also has power to grant itself monopolies and control distribution even more than it already is in exchange for sunday sales. The Wurtz way will make you some loving money, I tell you what. There's a reason why the courts ruled it unconstitutional two years after implementation in IL. You implement it here, you smash the sunday sale laws, and you get poo poo done before oversight comes in.

Christ this state needs more business dems who understand the power of alcohol.

My Imaginary GF has issued a correction as of 16:45 on Aug 11, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The owners say "b b but we'll just sell the same amount of product and have to pay more in wages" but this is baloney too.

Honestly I find this argument to be borderline offensive because they're trying to tell me and a bunch of other heavy drinkers that impulse purchases of alcohol do not exist, everyone knows the argument is total BS.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Your alcohol prices are too goddamn high for no loving reason. You're losing tax revenue to WI. That's stupid, and it costs the state money that could otherwise be going towards rail infrastructure.

i just explained why they are high. and lol if you think any significant portion of liquor sales are lost to other states. if this was the case the MLBA would have pushed for sunday sales years ago

quote:

One of the ways to get Sunday sales is, what ya do is delegate the power to an appointed board and you make sure that the board also has power to grant itself monopolies and control distribution even more than it already is in exchange for sunday sales. The Wurtz way will make you some loving money, I tell you what. There's a reason why the courts ruled it unconstitutional two years after implementation in IL. You implement it here, you smash the sunday sale laws, and you get poo poo done before oversight comes in.

right, let's make an even more idiotic system because it might potentially lead to what we actually want later on

quote:

Christ this state needs more business dems who understand the power of alcohol.

the liquor lobby is one of the top lobbying and campaign contribution groups in the state. tom bakk & company know exactly what they're doing, and this is in reality not a good thing at all

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i just explained why they are high. and lol if you think any significant portion of liquor sales are lost to other states. if this was the case the MLBA would have pushed for sunday sales years ago

right, let's make an even more idiotic system because it might potentially lead to what we actually want later on

the liquor lobby is one of the top lobbying and campaign contribution groups in the state. tom bakk & company know exactly what they're doing, and this is in reality not a good thing at all

I am a true believer in the grassroots power of alcohol consumers to organize themselves and lobby for change.

You make the system more idiotic with the understanding you get the change you want now.

What % of this state lives within 30 minutes of another? I'll tell you what percent of alcohol sales on sunday are lost to Wisconsin and the other neighboring states: 100.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

All I know is the Teamsters' Sunday sales shenanigans have made me hate them so very much.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

My Imaginary GF posted:

I am a true believer in the grassroots power of alcohol consumers to organize themselves and lobby for change.

You make the system more idiotic with the understanding you get the change you want now.

What % of this state lives within 30 minutes of another? I'll tell you what percent of alcohol sales on sunday are lost to Wisconsin and the other neighboring states: 100.

Jfc you are an insufferable dipshit. What sort of "political work" are you in exactly? You're advocating accelerationism in liquor laws to repeal the Sunday Sales ban.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

no minnesotan has ever gone to a bar or bought 3.2 beer on a sunday. none of us have ever just waited until monday. nope. the travel-time statistic you (also) pulled out your rear end is nice too btw

also you're claiming both ways on the liquor control board. first you said that the board must be created and then the board members would enact sunday sales. then when i point out how dumb this is you claim that the enaction would itself have a provision granting sunday sales, which is not the same thing and is also stupid as hell because why would you do that instead of just making the desired change itself without all the baggage. i have never heard of any support for this whole agency/board/whatever you're advocating, compared to proven grassroots support for simply changing this single aspect of existing regulations

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

My Imaginary GF posted:

This is why I say the DFL is a backwards-assed organization. In IL, we have sunday sales. Know what? Our teamsters are more organized than yours. I should know, I've been a teamster before entering political work.

two pages in and we're on the steady track towards WARD CANVASSING

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I will say one of the funnest road trips I've been on was from Minneapolis to Hudson. Three day weekends are a thing and sometimes you need beer on a Sunday. And yes there are a crazy amount of people that do it.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Every Sunday Prescott becomes a modern Gomorrah.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

boy it sure is good we have all those quantitative studies done on the number of people who do the hudson beer run on sundays, and the economic considerations thereof. this conversation has been much improved because of the existence of those studies and the fact that everyone in the state has read them and fully understands them

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

He may have been a bad Governor but he'll always have my respect for sticking it to Texas fraud Chris Kyle.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Lutha Mahtin posted:

boy it sure is good we have all those quantitative studies done on the number of people who do the hudson beer run on sundays, and the economic considerations thereof. this conversation has been much improved because of the existence of those studies and the fact that everyone in the state has read them and fully understands them

Why do you hate affordable and accessible beer? I bet you also favor bans on public drinking, don't you.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

My Imaginary GF posted:

Why do you hate affordable and accessible beer? I bet you also favor bans on public drinking, don't you.

1/10

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
While we're on the subject of anecdotes when I left my Minneapolis apartment this morning there were a bunch of empty New Glarus bottles sitting on the stoop, made me think of this thread.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

"Minnesota? Isn't that one of those flat states like Iowa?"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Minnesota is pretty loving flat though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, it's not like we have mountains or anything. Unlike most of Iowa or Kansas or the like though, we have plenty of lakes and rivers so we end up with actual geography.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
We're a giant, semi-swampy river valley. So there's a lot of variation when it's not winter and we're nothing but a blasted snowy hellscape.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

minnesota actually has several distinct biomes! but the effects of climate change are pushing them northward; for example, the area considered deciduous forest is starting to push up and into areas that were/are coniferous forest

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

There is plenty of opposition to Sunday liquor sales that has nothing to do with the Sabbath or being nice. Have you ever looked into Teamster opinions on the matter? Of loving course not, because you're a goddamned carpetbagger who started a dumb thread about a topic you have zero understanding of.

gently caress the Teamster's Union and gently caress you.

Trillary Flinton
Aug 3, 2016

-Troika- posted:

Well I dunno about that!!!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

-Troika- posted:

Sounds like you think you're special. Sounds like you think that people should make an exception to the rules for you.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

-Troika- posted:

Yes, gently caress me for pointing out that a group opposes Sunday Sales on non-religious grounds. Should I also go gently caress myself for pointing out that the association of liquor store owners opposes Sunday Sales?

I don't agree with these guys, but I don't think it is unreasonable in a thread about Minnesota Politics to point out when someone is setting up a strawman. Especially the loving OP.

edit: can we loving :gas: this thread yet?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

-Troika- posted:

Minnesota is not great.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Time

For

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

I just want to be able to pick up a bottle of wine or a 6 pack of real beer on Sundays without going over to loving Wisconsin.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Please add this to the op thanks

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

gret posted:

I just want to be able to pick up a bottle of wine or a 6 pack of real beer on Sundays without going over to loving Wisconsin.

but you can buy New Glarus over there :(

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Weeping Wound posted:

Just buy this my guy

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I am genuinely thankful that the people in this thread don't actually represent the people in this state. Honestly, you people are insufferable. Please move to the coasts, spend all your time complaining about fly-over states, and never, ever come back.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Just buy this my guy

It's sold in IL! I'll check it out.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

whats a good place to eat in minneapolis thanks

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zas posted:

Go to Marla's Caribbean.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zas posted:

Revival. Best fried chicken that you'll eat this far north. If you're feeling fancy, try Butcher and Boar or the Bachelor Farmer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillary Flinton
Aug 3, 2016

Weeping Wound posted:

NG makes a few ok beers but fat tire is bad.

• Locked thread