Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Zas posted:

whats a good place to eat in minneapolis thanks

Stanley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Minnesota is the only nice good midwest state

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tcw326PJuDw

Minnesota is a good state; our politics goes all over the loving map though. I'm looking at you, Jesse loving Ventura.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trillary Flinton posted:

NG makes a few ok beers but fat tire is bad.

Well it's a good thing NG doesn't make Fat Tire then.

The first two restaurants I ate in in Minneapolis were Chimborazo (Northeast) and Barbette (Uptown). Both were good and chill places. Also I had a takeout "football" pizza from Crescent Moon Bakery (Northeast) and that too was good.

Boon has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Aug 14, 2016

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Minnesota should build a wall and get Wisconsin to pay for it

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://youtu.be/gYmVT_EonN4

Trillary Flinton
Aug 3, 2016

Boon posted:

Well it's a good thing NG doesn't make Fat Tire then.

Good catch. NG, NB; it's all mediocre ale that wannabe hipsters like to talk up. Now contrast them to Surly, which is exploding into Wisconsin with unstoppable force.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Minnesota politics are generally chill but we still have a lot of issues. For one, we're a highly segregated state. Also, there's quite a bit of racism against Somalis, which combines anti-black racism with America's general dislike of Muslims. St. Cloud especially is a shitshow of racism and conflict: http://www.citypages.com/news/st-cloud-is-the-worst-place-in-minnesota-to-be-somali-7976833

There was also this: https://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/04/13/applebees-attack-victim-make-hate-crime-minnesota-felony
and this: http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/06/30/bias-motivated-shooting/

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Trillary Flinton posted:

Good catch. NG, NB; it's all mediocre ale that wannabe hipsters like to talk up. Now contrast them to Surly, which is exploding into Wisconsin with unstoppable force.

Surly, wannabe hipster ale, but in tall boys! (CynicAle is like spotted cow with 50% more alcohol it's okay in my book)

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Had a couple of Able beers as well that were pretty good.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I don't think we need a Wisconsin - Minnesota beer fight because 1: Wisconsin is definitively going to win and 2: both states have a decent amount of good beer.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

to make any sort of definitive conclusion about which state's breweries are better, one must be prepared to bow down before the mighty Sir Osis

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I mean, I've never had a better beer than Vermont's Heady Topper.

Zombie Dust out of Indiana is also very good. Nothing from my home state or Minnesota has matched those IMO (probably an inherent self-defense because we'd drink way too much of it) :colbert:

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Have you had Surly Abrasive or Todd the Axe Man? Heady Topper is probably still better but those two are pretty similar, I've had Heady before but I think it was past its prime as the flavor seemed a bit dulled.

MaxxBot has issued a correction as of 18:18 on Aug 15, 2016

Stuffguyman
Jun 3, 2007
Hmm.. a thread that's mostly hipsters arguing about craft beers but insists that it's actually intellectual political discussion. This really is the Minnesota experience! :suicide:

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MaxxBot posted:

Have you had Surly Abrasive of Todd the Axe Man? Heady Topper is probably still better but those two are pretty similar, I've had Heady before but I think it was past its prime as the flavor seemed a bit dulled.

I will run out an buy them later today and report back.

As a veteran D&D POLchatter, I can anecdotally say that booze chat is essential to any good POL chat. Food is also good, and occasionally we should talk about guns to keep things balanced.
VVV

Boon has issued a correction as of 20:32 on Aug 15, 2016

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
This beerchat is impenetrable to me. Somebody tell me state-level issues that I should care about. Or metro area stuff, that's good too.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
It's remarkable to me that the city didn't erupt into violence after Philando Castile was killed by police. Dayton's emotional remarks and quick call for a federal investigation probably saved us all a lot of trouble.

Also, a bunch of people on my FB are mad that a Chinese restaurant is being closed in Dinkytown to make way for redevelopment. But these are the same people who think that the U of M area achieved perfection in 1992, so idgaf.

That's all I got.

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001
I guess you can't leave out the Southwest LRT which will run about two blocks south of my house in SLP. Cost is now inching towards $2 Billion*. Most of that money is coming from the feds which makes it essentially free. Small price to pay to get whisked away to the 5th ring suburbs as you enjoy the smell of fresh urine.

*does not included environmentalist lawsuits most certainly to be settled out of court.

http://www.startribune.com/price-of-southwest-light-rail-continues-to-inch-up-now-at-1-86-billion/389535381/

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Zeroisanumber posted:

It's remarkable to me that the city didn't erupt into violence after Philando Castile was killed by police. Dayton's emotional remarks and quick call for a federal investigation probably saved us all a lot of trouble.

Also, a bunch of people on my FB are mad that a Chinese restaurant is being closed in Dinkytown to make way for redevelopment. But these are the same people who think that the U of M area achieved perfection in 1992, so idgaf.

That's all I got.

My only problem with the Dinkytown stuff is that every single building that closes down is replaced with $2000/mo luxury apartments and never anything else, it's space that's by definition worthless for the 95% of the population that doesn't want to live in a studio apartment with rent as high as a mortgage payment.

Also there was a bit of violence during one of the protests when 94 was shut down but pretty tame compared to what there could of been.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MaxxBot posted:

Have you had Surly Abrasive or Todd the Axe Man? Heady Topper is probably still better but those two are pretty similar, I've had Heady before but I think it was past its prime as the flavor seemed a bit dulled.

I bought Furious because I was going off of memory of the recommendation - damnit.

That said, Todd the Axe Man? Delicious.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Axe Man is great but gently caress paying $16 for a 4 pack. That said I basically guzzle the coffee bender.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

The Lord of Hats posted:

This beerchat is impenetrable to me. Somebody tell me state-level issues that I should care about. Or metro area stuff, that's good too.

gently caress the Kochs; the Cargills are assholes.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Bip Roberts posted:

Axe Man is great but gently caress paying $16 for a 4 pack. That said I basically guzzle the coffee bender.

Coffee Bender owns.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

No need to fight about who has the better beer or food. Just combine them.

There's always football to fight about.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Stuffguyman posted:

Hmm.. a thread that's mostly hipsters arguing about craft beers but insists that it's actually intellectual political discussion. This really is the Minnesota experience! :suicide:

Nobody is pretending anything. This thread is loving garbage.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Nobody is pretending anything. This thread is loving garbage.

did someone say "loving garbage"?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

what am i looking at here

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Homework Explainer posted:

A particularly raw piece of smoked fish from Duluth's best smokehouse, plus a glass of Green Bay's finest beer.

Trillary Flinton
Aug 3, 2016

My Imaginary GF posted:

did someone say "loving garbage"?

There can be no debate. The only good MIGF post.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Trillary Flinton posted:

There can be no debate. The only good MIGF post.
Nothing better than drinking bottled headache while getting a sore throat.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Stuffguyman posted:

This guy. This guy right here. He's the worst.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Homework Explainer posted:

fish basket from a tasty place down in an old matress factory

I see your fish basket and raise a silence of the lambwhich

ManDingo
Jun 1, 2001

Dammit I want one and you are probated for a month. KHAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNN!!!!!!!

EDIT: Apparently from the Northern Waters SmokeHAUS (hipster much?) in DULL-uth.

ManDingo has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Aug 18, 2016

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
That probate reason is :allears:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Twins Cities would be dream places to live it wasn't for the long winters.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

if we had nicer winters then we'd probably have the same problems as colorado (californians moving in)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Cold weather keeps out the riff-raff.

Trillary Flinton
Aug 3, 2016

The Joe Man posted:

Nothing better than drinking bottled headache while getting a sore throat.

It really does impress me how they manage to make every shandy taste like puke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

fruity dishsoap, with a bit of sugar and beer flavor added

• Locked thread