Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

neongrey posted:

Yeah, my only S1 skip is Believers. TKO's b-plot is solid gold.

Eh. TKO is basically just Bloodsport but with less french.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jows posted:

That poo poo blows my mind about sci-fi actors. The folks that get made up are in the drat chair for HOURS every day before their day even starts. And they probably don't make nearly as much as the series leads that waltz in, get some powder or whatever and are good to go.

There were definitely two cliques on B5, divided between the alien performers who had to come in early in the morning and the human performers. Based on the commentaries and documentary features, it sounds like they were also largely divided by acting styles: Boxleitner, Christian, and Doyle especially were really casual, dropping character right after a cut and joking around between takes, while most of the alien performers were more serious and method. (Katsulus was known for staying in character all day.)

Biggs and Tallman were less casual, Biggs because he needed more rehearsal as his hearing impairment made it harder to pick up cues, and Tallman because she’s that sort of person. I don’t know about Carter, but given his timing with Biggs and Christian I’m guessing he was more flexible.

I would not be surprised to learn that the time spent in the make-up trailer together partly explains how great Katsulas and Jurasik were together. I gather the Minbari performers were all pretty close-knit too, partly based on resentment of how much earlier they had to come in, but that’s mainly coming from Mumy so who knows.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah now I'm just imagining Katsulas and Jurasik just hanging out and improv'ing in character with each other all day. There's like 50x more "canon" G'Kar/Londo material they'd have come up with that never made it to air

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Doctor Zero posted:

No, it's because us Old Ones have a strict non-intervention policy.

sometimes.

:haw:

Granted it has been a decade plus but you goons were really good about not spoiling things and encouraging me to pay attention. The goon that sat with me to watch the DVDs was awesome and kept making me laugh by going "On the next... BABYLON 5" in this very dramatic American announcer voice. He mentioned stealing that from back in the day when his Dad and himself watched the OG broadcast. The closest thing he did to spoiling was when I would mention something like "man I don't like how Morden is talking to my boy Vir" and he would get this giant grin. He did the same thing when I mentioned how much I loved Londo and G'Kar from even the first episode.

sebmojo posted:

post in the blind watch thread, they are newbie vampires and will feed on your soul essence with shrill cries of delight (but in a good way!)

1st season is a little underrated imo, it's def bitsier but I really like Sinclair and there is a real gusto in all the alien and sci fi set dressing stuff. next few seasons will not disappoint you :D

e: oh you are, lol oops proceed

Yeah I try and only lurk as I am shocked how much I enjoy some new guy watching a show that started almost 30 years ago.

Said it before and I stand by it: I love Sinclair. Granted a big portion has been massively coloured by behind the scenes stuff but, even when I first watched him, I always felt he was that guy that served and saw way too much and now tries as hard as he can from giving in to the madness inside trying to claw his way out. At the time I knew a couple of guys like that and it just hit me hard. Every once in a while I would see that inner pain and turmoil in his eyes and I thought he was a really underrated actor. Then a few years later JMS released the info and it hit me like a stack of bricks. I once saw an old video of Klaus Nomi singing "Cold" a few months before his death. He knew he was dying and could hardly walk but when he sang? It didn't waver or break and it was beautiful. It was like every ounce of pain, sadness and passion was poured into this, what he knew would be his last song. Despite me only knowing about this obscure artist from before I was born from the loving Venture Brothers I was profoundly moved. I doubt O' Hare thought it would be his swansong but I can't watch him without being moved in the same way.

Now that I think about it B5 is full of those kind of performances. Every moment G'Kar is on the screen I am glued but I find myself even a bit melancholy when supercop Garibaldi shows up. Franklin, as much as his character can be rough at times.... that final shot of him departing still gets to me. Like almost more than anyone and I have no idea why. Not even gonna talk about the infamous "watching the sun rise" scene overmuch as I will cry like a baby. B5 is one of the few shows that can still do that and I did NOT watch this as a kid.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Data Graham posted:

Yeah now I'm just imagining Katsulas and Jurasik just hanging out and improv'ing in character with each other all day. There's like 50x more "canon" G'Kar/Londo material they'd have come up with that never made it to air

What a happy thought. :)

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

neongrey posted:

I've always thought that was one of the hidden strengths of B5. While there are A- or B- or even C-plots that suck rear end, it's rare that both (or all three in some cases) plots suck. Grey 17 is Missing is often cited as one of if not the worst B5 episode, and the Garibaldi vs. the worst looking rubber suit monster ever A-Plot does indeed suck rear end, but it's splitting time with the actually quite awesome Marcus vs Neroon B-plot. Think the alien probe part of A Day in the Strife is stupid? You're right! But the B-plot with G'kar and Ta'lon is great as is the C-plot with Londo and Vir. And so on and so forth. It's actually pretty hard to find a B5 episode that's terrible from start to finish, where as I can come up with just off the top of my head The Royale, Profit and Lace, and Threshold as TNG, DS9, and VOY episodes that were an entire hour of agony for me, only relieved by the merciful commercial breaks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jng2058 posted:

I've always thought that was one of the hidden strengths of B5. While there are A- or B- or even C-plots that suck rear end, it's rare that both (or all three in some cases) plots suck. Grey 17 is Missing is often cited as one of if not the worst B5 episode, and the Garibaldi vs. the worst looking rubber suit monster ever A-Plot does indeed suck rear end, but it's splitting time with the actually quite awesome Marcus vs Neroon B-plot. Think the alien probe part of A Day in the Strife is stupid? You're right! But the B-plot with G'kar and Ta'lon is great as is the C-plot with Londo and Vir. And so on and so forth. It's actually pretty hard to find a B5 episode that's terrible from start to finish, where as I can come up with just off the top of my head The Royale, Profit and Lace, and Threshold as TNG, DS9, and VOY episodes that were an entire hour of agony for me, only relieved by the merciful commercial breaks.

I don't think there was anything redeemable about A View from the Gallery.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I actually don't mind that one. It's too hero-worshipy, sure, but there are some neat moments, like Bo getting to "fly" a Starfury thanks to Byron. But it's rather the exception that proves the rule, since it doesn't have multiple plotlines...if you don't like Mack and Bo's story, you don't like the episode because there's nothing else in that one.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It plays better if you mentally substitute Ellison and JMS for Mack and Bo. Still very on the nose, but amusing.

The interactions between the main characters and these two make more sense in that light, too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Narsham posted:

I gather the Minbari performers were all pretty close-knit too, partly based on resentment of how much earlier they had to come in, but that’s mainly coming from Mumy so who knows.

Mumy had good reason to be resentful, by all accounts. As far as I know he's always said that he didn't want to take the gig at first because of the lengthy chair time, but was promised that it would be two hours tops. Then he comes in on his first day and the prosthetics team are "lol, nah, try four". They did manage to get it down to two hours once they got their rhythm down, and unlike Katsulas and the Drazi he at least wasn't in full facial prosthetics, but he nearly walked and I don't think I would have blamed him.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

jng2058 posted:

The Royale is classic. i bet you don't like Up the Long Ladder either.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Jedit posted:

Mumy had good reason to be resentful, by all accounts. As far as I know he's always said that he didn't want to take the gig at first because of the lengthy chair time, but was promised that it would be two hours tops. Then he comes in on his first day and the prosthetics team are "lol, nah, try four". They did manage to get it down to two hours once they got their rhythm down, and unlike Katsulas and the Drazi he at least wasn't in full facial prosthetics, but he nearly walked and I don't think I would have blamed him.

Explains why he refused to work in Star Trek until they gave him a human role.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The real rear end in a top hat move was whoever didn’t let Mumy play the grown-up Future Will Robinson in the Lost in Space movie :mad:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

The real rear end in a top hat move was whoever didn’t let Mumy play the grown-up Future Will Robinson in the Lost in Space movie :mad:

Yeah, that was a major dick move. Like all the original cast he was offered a cameo appearance, but the option was right there and he would have taken it.

There is a nice story about why Jonathan Harris didn't appear in the movie, though. His response to the cameo offer was to thank them very kindly and wish them all the best, but he didn't feel that he would be comfortable playing any part in Lost in Space other than Dr Smith. As he was in his mid-80s at the time and quite frail this was of course impossible, but Akiva Goldsman has said that he really wishes it hadn't been because Harris was such a wonderful gentleman.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Luigi Thirty posted:

He did play a cool part in the TV series, though. Won't say what in case someone hasn't seen it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The first season of that show pissed me off so much I bailed on the entire run.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

neongrey posted:

I definitely like Believers more than I do TKO. Sorry audience, you don't get the good ending, the kid is dead. That's what happens when you cut him open like a meat animal. Welcome to Babylon 5.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I definitely like Believers more than I do TKO. Sorry audience, you don't get the good ending, the kid is dead. That's what happens when you cut him open like a meat animal. Welcome to Babylon 5.

It also shows that the main characters will gently caress up royally even though they're the good guys.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, Believers is good TV.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

CainFortea posted:

The first season of that show pissed me off so much I bailed on the entire run.

Yeah. It starts out promising but I can only watch disaster after disaster for so long.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I watch them all and skip nothing. Every time.

And it's been a lot of times.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

He did play a cool part in the TV series, though. Won't say what in case someone hasn't seen it.

I forgot there was a new series and thought you were making a newbie thread joke.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

CainFortea posted:

Yea, Believers is good TV.

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't think it's a bad episode at all, I just find it really uncomfortable to watch, so I don't.

CainFortea posted:

Eh. TKO is basically just Bloodsport but with less french.

I mean those aren't the parts I'm watching TKO for!!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

Yeah, that was a major dick move. Like all the original cast he was offered a cameo appearance, but the option was right there and he would have taken it.

There is a nice story about why Jonathan Harris didn't appear in the movie, though. His response to the cameo offer was to thank them very kindly and wish them all the best, but he didn't feel that he would be comfortable playing any part in Lost in Space other than Dr Smith. As he was in his mid-80s at the time and quite frail this was of course impossible, but Akiva Goldsman has said that he really wishes it hadn't been because Harris was such a wonderful gentleman.

I remember seeing that movie ages ago and knowing instantly what incidental character would have been the Jonathan Harris cameo just from the lines and the way the guy played it. It was a giant holographic projection of a guy’s face telling Gary Oldman to gently caress off.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm now on Season 2 Episode 18 and goddamn this show is good. Even despite the really really bad CGI which I've grown now accustom to its totally addictive.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You're getting into the Cool Zone. And the CGI improves every season, it gets decent in 3. It's never as high quality as modern because obviously, but B5's CG artists make the scenes colorful and interesting in ways that make up for the lack of pure technical polish.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm basically rewatching Babylon 5 with very little memory of it. I just got to Episode 19 Season 2 The Long Twilight Struggle and goddamn I had totally forgotten of the turn out of the Narn Centauri war. Goddamn it is brutal how powerful the episode is

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Lol, I was about to make a post in here quoting someone from the blind watch thread with a line I thought was fitting and then I realized that poster is the one above this post!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

Lieutenant Warren Keffer was played by actor Robert Rusler during Babylon 5's second season. Despite being credited throughout the entire season, Rusler appeared in only six episodes. Apart from a mention in the third season's premiere, "Matters of Honor", and appearances in several comic books, the character of Keffer was never used again. According to J. Michael Straczynski's commentary for the episode "The Fall of Night" on the Babylon 5 Season 2 DVD, the network wanted a hotshot pilot for the show and forced him to write in Keffer. As such, Straczynski never intended Keffer to survive.

jms posted:

Is Keffer dead?
He is an Ex-Keffer.
Does that mean he's dead?
Dead as the proverbial doorknob.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I think JMS made pretty good of that situation - I never minded Keffer and the way he eventually went out worked

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Shadows just captured him and turned him into an asset for Tolwyn in the Wing Commander universe.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Seemlar posted:

I think JMS made pretty good of that situation - I never minded Keffer and the way he eventually went out worked

Robert Rusler deserved better, to be honest. I think more could have been made of his arc if JMS hadn't been so pissed about having a studio mandated character. Consider: Keffer comes to Sheridan with his Shadow footage instead of dying. He's brought gradually into the Conspiracy of Light as Zack was, then sent to work with the Rangers before the secession - conveniently removing him from the main arc while providing an easy way to show off-station perspectives in the human sphere. His arc ends when he replaces Ericsson as the bait for the Shadows in early S4, increasing the gravitas by having Sheridan need to ask a regular character to make the sacrifice instead of a random guest star.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Yeah but then you don't get the hilarity of seeing Bryan goddamn Cranston show up in full Ranger getup.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Polaron posted:

Yeah but then you don't get the hilarity of seeing Bryan goddamn Cranston show up in full Ranger getup.

Wait Bryan Cranston was on B5!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Not as hilarious as seeing Bob Kelso as a space captain.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hollismason posted:

Wait Bryan Cranston was on B5!

He has a part with a few lines in an early season 4 episode.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

V-Men posted:

Shadows just captured him and turned him into an asset for Tolwyn in the Wing Commander universe.

Oh cool, I didn’t know that was the same actor.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Oh cool, I didn’t know that was the same actor.

He was in all sorts of stuff in the late 80s. Kind of a Kmart brand Robert Downy Jr.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

:stare:

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/babylon-5-reboot-the-cw-j-michael-straczynski-1235075236/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Oh no.