Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
In Norway we only had one TV channel, owned by the government and mostly running wholesome and cultural programming, until 1992 when the second COMMERCIAL broadcaster went on air (some lucky assholes had satellite TV)! When B5 started airing on that channel every Sunday at 2:30pm it was unlike anything we had ever seen before. The feeling of sitting with my whole family in the living room on Sundays watching Sinclair, Ivanova, the aliens and the CGI is still with me, because it was unlike anything we had ever seen on TV before. When B5 started coming out on DVD in the early 2000s I paid like $120 per season on Amazon to import them from the US, and I bought a DVD drive and MPEG decoder card for my computer to view them.

It's incredibly sad how many of the cast have died over the years, and even hearing of the challenges many of them faced while filming (drugs, alcohol, mental illness, hearing loss, right wing loon etc) has made an impact on me. I believe JMS saud he picked many of these people because nobody else would give them a job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

Who cares about fashion. Let's talk about that Daffy Duck poster.

It's his second favorite thing.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Saw 8 new posts, wondered who died this time.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug

Milky Moor posted:

And the Pope is a woman.

When a pilgrim is begging Sheridan for a blessing, Garibaldi snaps, "He's not the Pope! He doesn't look anything like her!"

That was a thing in the very very bland Robocop TV show too. The new pope was Mary II, a black woman.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Did Jerry Doyle ever talk about how his personal politics compared to those of Garibaldi?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
https://www.engadget.com/babylon-5-remastered-hbo-max-digital-download-080058907.html

According to this, it's been a 6 year project and 'labor of love'.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
It looks like composite shots are still upscaled from a 480p or similar source. It's pretty jarring once you start noticing it. It's noticeable whenever someone fires a PPG, there is a greenscreen scene or similar. It's VERY noticeable in the finale of the Ironheart episode in season one where the shots switch rapidly between HD scans and SD scans. It can also be seen in the following episode with the eloping Centauris when the racists decloak. That's as far as I have gotten on my rewatch.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
I've been watching the remasters together with my girlfriend, and we just watched War Without End the other day. At the ending I had to explain to my girlfriend why her 40 year old 6'3" 240 lbs man was crying his eyes out at a silly 90s sci-fi tv show that isn't even widescreen.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
Times I've cried so far:

-The Valen reveal
-Season 4 finale when he takes out the ranger uniform
-First time seeing the season 5 opening with "and so it begins" in 20 years. I remembered the music well, but I was not prepared for the voiceovers and recap of the last four seasons.

I have only the last two episodes of season 5 left to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

Pillbug
It never occured to me that the two vorlons with Valen were Ulkesh and Naranek.

This loving show, man.