Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Timby posted:

That's also the same episode, I believe, in which Kosh tricks Talia into copying all of her memories into a recording droid, who then gives Kosh the data crystal. I don't think that's ever fully explained. Unless Kosh somehow knew that Talia was a Psi-Corps spy and wanted to be able to blackmail her if necessary.

That's one of those plots that had to go unused because the actress left, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Eh, redrafting improves all writing, the original concepts might have been crap but it's a little hard to gauge what a produced show based on that would have been.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

But redraftings forced by conflict as opposed to enabled by extension makes a better product. That's what I love about B5. It thrives in adversity, that is what makes it strong.

Oh yeah, I think the result sounds better than the original concept stuff, I just think going straight from 'the original concept sounds bad' straight to 'if they'd used that as a basis it would be bad' is just not something very knowable.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Timby posted:

while still tripping over her accent.

Isn't that her natural accent?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

pentyne posted:

Of by a factor of 10x. Still, there must've been 30-40k people living in extreme poverty on the station at least.

Yeah the 2.5 million is how many pounds of spinning metal it is, all alone in the night.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

JMS said it was scripted out and Claudia Christian thought it was hilarious and put a lot of practice in.

I think JMS has said that there was next to no improv anywhere, and he seems like enough of a control freak that this makes sense to me.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

What is Torgo doing there?

gotta have something to do when the master's not away

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I think most of the arguments against In The Beginning are spoiler related and honestly I don't think that's a huge concern, at least with the spoilers ITB hands out. This is very much a show that will straight-up tell you what is going to happen and the interest is far more in how one arrives there. It doesn't give you the tools to fully appreciate the significance of the events, so I don't personally think that it's a problem to watch it first.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

That order's fine but really don't feel compelled to watch any of the side non-show content, honestly. The only good movie is In The Beginning.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Is there any point where when presented with a chance to get aggressively theatrical, B5 says 'no'? It's one of my favourite things about the show, there's few things I love more than an actor with a good chunk of scenery in their teeth.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'm still convinced the marcus thing was intended to be creepy and hosed up and will loudly yell DEATH OF THE AUTHOR at anyone who tries to suggest otherwise to me. As a horror story, I don't mind it.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, my only S1 skip is Believers. TKO's b-plot is solid gold.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Yea, Believers is good TV.

Yeah, that's the thing, I don't think it's a bad episode at all, I just find it really uncomfortable to watch, so I don't.

CainFortea posted:

Eh. TKO is basically just Bloodsport but with less french.

I mean those aren't the parts I'm watching TKO for!!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I'll definitely watch it, if it ever materializes, but yeah I'm not sure I'm willing to cling to more than cautious optimism on this.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621159221043202?s=20

JMS has just posted a big thread about it on twitter

I like what I see, ngl.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

my favourite episode, hands down

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

I dunno about Usenet but he denies any and all influences on B5 if you ask him about it on twitter. I remember him getting especially mad about that one. Maybe he was more willing to talk about it back then.

There's a huge huge difference between not writing in references intentionally and not being influenced by other works. I've never seen him deny influence.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

But the future refused to change...

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I genuinely don't understand why "no I wasn't intending to crib from x" is such a controversial statement to some people. You can argue about whether there's unintentional influence and I think there certainly is, but when the question is if he intended to do a thing and he says no, he didn't intend it, I don't see a reason to think he's lying.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

He doesn't have to be lying to have unintentionally folded in more recent sources influenced by the same material, which is far, far more likely than him consistently telling the same lie for decades. No matter how much your fee-fees want him to be lying.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I like that story, its brand of horror really gets to me

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

As a huge fan of both I find the similarities to be very superficial. The shows are totally different.

honestly i think that's one of the most interesting things about it; they're very different takes on those superficial similarities and I love seeing that kind of variance.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

he was always a libertarian whackjob prone to magical thinking but he did turn meaner as he's gotten older, and i've seen people take hard right turns after head injuries so it's not outside the realm of possibility

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

I stand by my position that if you read it as a horror story, it's fine

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Delenn sounded like Mira in that, did she lay down voiceover before she passed away, do we know?

She has been recast.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

I think that interpretation of the prophecy is basically consensus except for the 'eye that does not see' which I think most people take to be more literal and mean G'Kar. I suppose the 'one who is dead' could also mean Sheridan?

the thing is it does intentionally have some wiggle room for every element, it's just there's the really obvious ones you think of first like that

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

my guess is there's a serious load bearing distinction between "space travel" and "practical ftl space travel" going on here

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah I quite like Infection, it's a solid early vibe-setter imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm glad to hear more people are alive than I thought

and by extension i'm also glad, somewhat morbidly, that we're finally reaching a point in time that when the next person leaves us, they will not be dying unusually young