Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I'm so glad that about half the text on fandom page for the Brakiri is dedicated to how they reproduce. That's definitely what I needed to know from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

IIRC the pact was just that the Vorlons and Shadows wouldn't attack each other directly. It's fine for the Vorlons to organize the younger races as long as they don't fire any shots.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Midjack posted:

You used the letter after g twice in your post, friend.

Who told you to say that?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm not familiar with the short story in question. Is there any value in reading it or should I just go on being unaware?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Ignorance truly is bliss.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Were the season titles ever displayed anywhere outside the internet and the box sets? I think it might be a point of interest for the blind thread, but I don't want to even mention them if a regular viewer back then wouldn't have known about them. Amazon doesn't display them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

Were the season titles ever displayed anywhere outside the internet and the box sets? I think it might be a point of interest for the blind thread, but I don't want to even mention them if a regular viewer back then wouldn't have known about them. Amazon doesn't display them.

I changed my mind on this one. Since the season titles were announced on the usenet group and printed on the box sets, I don't think they're too spoilery. I will make it hard for people to accidentally see them, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Small White Dragon posted:

...rights problem?

The phrase Bureau 13 was trademarked by a computer game that no one remembers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I forget, when were the first shots of Minbar?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Zaroff posted:

I'm thinking the first episode of War Without End.

Confirmed by the Lurker's guide.

Doctor Zero posted:

Ah okay. Yeah that's not too bad.

It's not. I think I slightly prefer the modified order just because Knives is a little weaker than In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum or any of the last few season 2 episodes. Getting it done first means you have a very strong six episode sequence at the end.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Legal stuff takes a while, sadly.

This, and keep in mind that the less you hear the better it's going.

Edit:

Oh well....

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 4, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The angel form is a just another encounter suit, although psychic rather than physical. It's not their true form. The show does eventually reveal a Vorlon without one, but if you're not there yet, be cautious about leaping ahead.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MikusR posted:

Which episode? the one in deconstruction is a Human

Falling Toward Apotheosis

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

What are y'all thinking of? The scene with an elderly Delenn at the end of season 4? JMS mentioned the Minbari lifespan before that, and just saying it in the abstract is different from mentioning that any particular character lives that long.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I really wish we could see the plot outline for an alternate universe where Michael O'Hare had stayed on for the entire show. It's hard to imagine him confronting Kosh or taking the fight to Z'ha'dum, but it's also hard to imagine the show without those plot beats.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Yeesh.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I'm very curious to see how much foreshadowing the people in the blind thread pick up on when they're not spending weeks or months thinking about the last episode they saw. It seems like that processing time really helped to get some of the subtler details on the first watch.

In particular, I want to see if they start wondering whether the Vorlons are actually as good as they claim to be, or if the revelation at the end of season 3 will completely blindside them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MikusR posted:

What is Communion?

Communion

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

S2E15 - And Now for a Word

Lmfao at this Psi Corps commercial, God I love stuff like this.

Does Amazon's version of "And Now for a Word" have the subliminal message in the Psi Corps commercial? Apparently that was cut out for some international releases and now I wonder which one the blind watchers are seeing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

JMS says:

quote:

RE: the FCC...what we did in the commercial was totally legit. We researched and found that the FCC considers a subliminal to be 2 frames per second (out of the standard 24). So we made the blip 4 frames total.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Jedit posted:

In The Shadow... is the start of JMS's 50+ episode streak. The avalanche has started. It is too late for the newbies to quit.

Knives was written by Larry DiTillio, but was originally intended to air before In the Shadow of Z'ha'dum. Either way, Confessions and Lamentations definitely starts it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

That feels like something JMS would've hinted at. Even if you know it's coming, there are a lot of questions about what happens between now and then. It should be avoided, but it's not the worst thing to see.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

abrosheen posted:

Is "The Gathering" not on amazon prime at all, even for purchase? I sure can't find it.

Scroll down to the bottom of season 1.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I wonder if that would've come up in Crusade. Definitely seems like the bioweapon that was aimed at Earth.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

From IMDB's bio of Stephen Furst:

quote:

Never had to read for the part of "Vir" in Babylon 5 (1993). When he went to the audition, he saw that the other actors had their hair done in the Centauri crest, while he didn't. A trip to the bathroom to raid the soap dispenser and plaster his hair up ended disastrously with his hair askew and tears running down his face where the soap had gotten in his eyes. When he was called in, he entered apologizing profusely in run-on sentences for his appearance, whereupon the creator and producers looked at each other and said, "Oh my God! It's Vir!" He asked if they wanted him to read and they said no, he had the part.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Edited that out.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

http://b5epguide.tripod.com/chronology.html says the Centauri empire began declining in 2150. I think that's based off one of the novels which had some details about early contact between Earth and the Centauri.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Some of these songs are great, thanks!

You can certainly tell that most of the cast are emphatically not pro singers, but they definitely don't suck and they put so much heart into singing that it doesn't matter, it's really enjoyable. It helps that Bill Mumy is a pretty drat good songwriter so they've got good material to work with.

It's really weird to hear Peter Jurasik without the Londo accent though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There's a lot of foreshadowing in B5, and a lot that's inspired by previous work. Someone who's watching the episodes slowly and knows a lot about sci-fi in general can pick up on it.

And now TheAardvark is speculating about Kosh's form, and is clearly not expecting what he's going to see so very soon.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

My favorite Kosh moment is a scene cut from episode 1. JMS describes it like so:

quote:

>
> Category 18, Topic 9
> Message 284 Tue Aug 17, 1993
> STRACZYNSKI [Joe] at 01:55 EDT
>
> As reward for the humor, here's what Kosh will *really* say, when he
> utters the first words we hear. He's on the Observation Dome, looking out
> through the window as a ship passes overhead, the lights shining down at him
> through a window.
>
> "Ahhh....beautiful." Long beat as he looks around the place. Then:
> "I will miss this...when it is gone."
>
> And then he exits, as Garibaldi mutters to Ivanova, "I *really* hate it
> when he does that."
>
> jms
>

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Believers still works as a character study and a bit of worldbuilding, but you have to keep in mind that it originally aired in 1994 when the only science fiction on TV was Star Trek. It was very much JMS's way of saying "this isn't Star Trek".

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

In a 90s Star Trek show, the kid would've had the surgery and the parents would've come around. Having it feel like a Star Trek script only heightened the surprise of the ending.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

There are probably a few where reading the synopsis on the Lurker's Guide is a reasonable choice.

Also lol at the Guide for still having a page to preload your image cache. That's so '90s.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

He got better after he got stabbed.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You kinda got a little of that in some of the first season episodes, but yeah, it's not a good look.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The CGI looks great but the contrast between it and the live shots is bugging me. I wonder how the show would look if someone ran it through a neural net upscaler.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

About halfway through the series a discussion came up online about the predictability of the series. JMS's response is worth reading. From the guide page for Messages From Earth:

quote:

"We already knew everything this episode revealed."
If I can, let me address one aspect of this, for your consideration.
Back when I was working on MURDER, SHE WROTE, we'd sometimes get letters saying, "This wasn't a good episode because I figured out the ending. It wasn't a surprise." (Which is, to some extent, your point here.)

The problem we had with that particular letter was this: of COURSE you figured it out. Because you were paying attention to all the clues we had put out there in the episode.

There seems to be this notion that nobody should be able to jump ahead, or else something's wrong or bad about the episode. Absolutely not true. If you're going to play fair with the audience, whether it's B5 or M,SW, you've got to put enough bits of information out on the table so that the person who's really following it can figure it out...so that at the end, those who *didn't* figure it out can back up the tape, watch for the clues or leads, and see where it all came from. That's playing fair.

If NObody gets it, you haven't done your job right.

If EVERYbody gets it, you haven't done your job right.

The best case scenario is a bell-shaped curve. Some don't have a clue what's coming, some manage to figure it out, and the majority have a kind of vague sense where it's going, but there are still surprises along the way. If the bell-curve shifts one direction or the other, then you're in trouble.

So far, B5 seems to be hewing right to the bell-curve. For every person who says "okay, this was expected," there's been another saying, "I had no *idea* this was going to happen here, or so fast." (Many of these have been right on this forum, in fact.)

Finally, do bear in mind that you have an advantage here that 99% of all the viewers don't: the discussion here on CIS, and direct comments from me. For instance, I just noted elsewhere that we've got major turns at the end of this season, and one 2/3rds into year 4. Now, if at those points, somebody says, "Well, I knew this was coming, that's bad," I intend to whap them, because the reason they likely knew it was coming was because I *said so* right here.

But that same 99% doesn't have this advantage.

This is the main difference I've noted in the mail that's come in: the net-folks are constantly trying to figure out what's coming up next, treating it like a mystery story (which, really, it's not, any more than ANY novel is a mystery in that you don't necessarily know its turns and twists as you're reading it), whereas the non-netted folks tend to just take it as it comes.

See, that's the other part of this. People on the nets tend to treat it as though it's a mystery novel, and when it doesn't hit that aspect, say it's flawed as a result...when it was never INTENDED to function as a mystery novel. It's a novel period. A mystery novel depends absolutely on the riddle at the center of it. This is a saga, which uses a different structure. It isn't a mystery any more than Lord of the Rings is a mystery, even though when I first read it I was wondering what was going to happen next.

Also, a mystery novel is done when the mystery is finally unraveled. Not so the B5 story. By the end of this season, most of the mysteries will be unraveled, and the pieces laid on the table for all to see. It then becomes a matter of what the characters *do* about it thereafter.

If I'm doing my job right, and setting up things to come properly, and giving all the clues to it, then by definition a certain number of people HAVE to figure out what's coming. As long as it's the smaller portion, that's as it *should* be. So you'll understand why I tend to get in here for a moment when that's held up as something bad or poorly done. (And, again, even you note that the only reason you knew about the shadows on Mars was via reading it here, or others read it via the comics. Again, that's a very small portion of the audience; most I've heard from had NO idea about that aspect of it. If you hadn't read it here, you likely would have been surprised by it.)

Anyway, just something to consider in all of this....

Somebody's who's familiar with science fiction, fantasy and story conventions in general is going to see a lot of what's in B5 coming because it's a fairly typical saga. The details are novel, but the story structure isn't, and it's not trying to hide where it's going from the audience.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

At that point Vir has already assassinated an emperor. That plausibly changed Londo's view of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

He came pretty close to dying sometime around the third season and that's why he lost so much weight before 401. Can you imagine seasons 4 and 5 without Vir, or with someone else in the role?