Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wasn't there a subplot in Legend of the Rangers about a haunted Ranger ship? And the Minbari second in command was psychic and could see the ghosts? It's been a while since I last saw it so the details are hazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

So was OG Draal also highly respected for his beard?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I remember Delenn saying something to the effect that Humans are the only ones who build communities of multiple species and that no other species would do that. It was the one where they get interviewed by ISN.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Didn't Ivanova confess to Delenn that she loved Talia?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I've been rewatching them from when I taped them on my dvr a couple of years ago. :v:
Doesn't have season one and a few episodes of season 2 are missing.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Everyone talking about the Centauri shooting balls of blue goop at Narn saying that they must be asteroids are forgetting one thing: these are Centauri we're talking about, it's clearly spoo they're shooting at the planet. Smh at all these fake fans.

As for having livestock on B5, that seems like a bad idea from a prevention of creating new and interesting diseases perspective.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

We do, just the kind against military personnel not the general population

Which is why I find it kind of funny when the Minbari act like Sheridan is a war criminal and monster for blowing up the Black Star when it's implied that they were doing worse things and were planning to genocide the humans.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

It was a war crime, to be fair.

It just seems a little hypocritical for them to complain about warcrimes when they were committing their own.

Jedit posted:

They think he's a monster because he fought dishonourably by luring the Black Star into a trap. Never mind that he couldn't possibly have fought them head on - it's the sneakiness they don't like. And to be fair, the Warrior caste are quite consistent in being open handed with opposing forces. It's how the war got started in the first place.

Okay yeah I can see that.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Dukat never had the sympathetic moment though. He was always an evil poo poo.

That didn't stop some of the audience from empathising with him so much that they had to turn him into a DBZ villain to get them to stop :v:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Minbari lie to save face, and lying about the war to avoid embarrassment is something they would do.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Yeah when it gets to something big like the war, they can justify lying by saying they're doing it to save face for their clan members or caste members, and they just happen to save face for themselves in the process.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It would seem kind of foolish of PsyCorp to vivasect a superpowered telepath who is totally loyal to them when they could get much more valuable information out of her being alive, able to do experiments and breed her with another powerful telepath or tk to get more superpowered telepaths.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Evolving into a being of pure energy seemed to be a fairly popular sci-fi trope at the time. See: TNG, Stargate, and I guess you make an argument for Earth Final Conflict with the Taelons being part of the way there.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It was more of a chaos vs order thing that people mistook for good vs evil.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wasn't the original plot going to be something like Babylon 5 getting destroyed by the Shadows and Sinclair and Delenn fall in love and take Babylon 4 into the future and the series be relaunched as Babylon Prime?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I don't think it was in the Shadows' interests to foster a human civil war at that moment, though. The Shadows want the Clark regime in power because they're the xenophobic fascists who will eventually be willing to drive humanity to war against their neighbors. The civil war is about a question that the Shadows already have a preferred answer/outcome for, they wouldn't have wanted humanity wasting its time and energy on fighting over that when there are other states/species to prove their dominance over (especially, in my view, the Minbari; I've long suspected the shadow-tech advanced destroyers were intended for an eventual rematch).

Morden shows up to talk with the Clark regime and Psy Corp so I agree.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Gonna get the reboot, but it's a cgi cartoon in the same vein as Prodigy.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

For a second there I was really confused at how Legend of the Rangers got a multi season deal.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

If they couldn't afford Prodigy style cgi, then they should have gone with Reboot style cgi.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Ah, a fellow sicko who actually liked Crusade (or at least, saw its potential if it hadn't been constantly under assault from TNT's internal sabotage). There are dozens of us!

We need a Crusade reboot, not a B5 one.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Or Dominic Monaghan

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Set up the telepath colony on the Markab homeworld. :skeltal:
Though I am curious if anyone ever did try to take over the Markab homeworld, assuming they were a species unaffected by the plague.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Setting up a colony would there depend on what condition of the buildings and infrastructure left. Assuming those were in decent condition, that would cut down on freight. More so if the food sources on the planet were edible to whatever species sets up a colony there. And that species might go to the trouble of rebuilding a jump gate there too. Probably not a good place for the telepath colony since it would probably be too costly and the ISA would have to foot the bill. But they never really mention how colony worlds are set up either. :shrug:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Can't have a telepath problem if you don't have any!

But leaving Narns aside, did we see non-human telepaths apart from Minbari and Centauri? The Minbari cast system might very well be enough to handle telepaths, but Centauri are basically just feudal humans with funny hair and tentacle penises. And when I think of "feudal societies in which some people posses supernatural powers", my mind immediately settles on "mages". Which would make me suspect that in the power hungry Centauri society, telepaths should be a big deal.

I don't think we ever saw them, but Sheridan did tell the League to bring telepaths with them when fighting the Shadows.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Who are you, what do you want, why are you here, where are you going.

This would imply that there should have been two other ancient races around that ask the cast those last two questions.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Jedit posted:

"Why are you here?" is a question Sebastian asks of Delenn.

While Sebastian may be old by human standards if you count the time he spent in stasis, I don't think that qualifies him to be considered an Ancient or one of the First Ones. :classiclol:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

No, they approached a ship with gun ports opened (first provocation) and used active scanners on the human ship that were strong enough to disable the human ship's scanners (escalating the provocation) right as the human ship was trying to figure out how to respond to the hostile actions. "It's my culture to approach with a drawn weapon" doesn't turn approaching someone not in your culture with a drawn weapon into a non-provocation. Their own leader realized how bad of an idea that was and tried to countermand the order, but didn't make it in time. Similarly, actively hitting ships with something strong enough to shut down their sensors is a provocation, even if you don't think about the effect of a strong active scan on someone else's ship. Modern ships on earth are aware that blasting their radar full strength at another ship is a provocation, the super-advanced Minbari should be too.

I agree that aside from the now-dead leader they're too arrogant and stupid to *acknowledge* their role in starting the fight, but that doesn't change the fact that they are responsible for provoking it.

I do find it odd that if the Minbari traditionally greet everyone they meet with gun ports open, then why haven't, say the Centauri, encountered it in their rare and brief encounters with the Minbari? You would've thought that would be something that Londo would've mentioned when he was asked about the Minbari if he knew.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I guess the other option is not to treat In the Beginning as 100% canonical but rather Londo fudging some details to make it easier to tell the story to the children. Hence why it's Londo who's the ambassador on Earth and it's Gkar who is the weapon dealer and so on. It may be possible that the Centauri ambassador wasn't asked those questions but it's Londo guessing how the meeting went.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Worker caste is probably full of assholes too, but we just don't see them.

You see a couple of them in the docker strikes episodes.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

You do see Minbari fighting humans in the In The Beginning movie, but it's mostly hand-to-hand combat, and I'm assuming that the humans have run out of ammo.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Trying to fool people into thinking it's a Star Wars.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

It does make you wonder how Kosh died so quickly to two Shadows, when Sheridan and Co had quite a bit of difficulty killing off new Kosh while the Shadows die quickly to ppg blasts or equivalent. I guess he could have fought back but that might have punctured a hole in the station in the process.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Didn't Sheridan also give Delenn an engagement ring?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I was a little confused at the start where ISN is reporting about the end of the Shadow War, and it seemed to show footage of humans fighting Shadow infantry, when Earth wasn't even aware of the Shadow War at the time. Maybe they weren't humans though.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Maybe the Shadows have a thing for legs and feeling up Sheridan's gams for weapons would have sent them into a swoon.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Wasn't there also windows in some quarters that look into the garden in the centre? Or was that just Sheridan's office?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Watched Soul Hunter and I really noticed all the alien extras in masks this time. It's fine for the most part where they just walk by, but there's a couple of moments where it sticks out like the two Minbari chatting in the background without moving their mouths at the start of the episode.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I've started another watch through of the series and I began with The Gathering, as is right and proper. :lofty:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Watched that recently and I think it's the same guy who's on the quest for the Holy Grail in a later episode. But yeah I had the same thought when I saw wraparound shades guy. I recently played through Planescape Torment and it seems to have made me more sensitive to the sheer 90's-ness of B5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

One thing I've noticed in this watch through is that there are a lot of Minbari in the background wearing orange and grey jumpsuits. They're presumably worker caste but I don't think that's ever stated, or why there's so many working on B5.