Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

I didn't notice that, is it in S1-2 or just from S3 onward where B5 is independent? It would make sense if B5 cut off from Earth (and later independent from Earth) hired Minbari workers or Minbar/Delenn sent them as a favore. IIRC there weren't any aliens striking in the Dockworker's strike episode in S1, if it wasn't an all or mostly human operation from the start you'd expect to see some non-humans there.

I'm currently watching season one. Just watched Deathwalker and one of the people looking on as Nathoth thrashes her is a Minbari in an orange and grey jumpsuit. There were a few in nearly episode before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Lemniscate Blue posted:

You know, for as long as I've been a fan of the show I don't think I've ever noticed this before, and I can't search up an image. Would it be possible for you to post a screenshot? I'm very curious, given that otherwise the Minbari Worker Caste gets nearly completely ignored up until the civil war arc.

Okay so looking more closely it's less of a jumpsuit and more of an apron. There's more of them in previous episodes too.

Edit:

From Mind War, and a second one passes by a couple of seconds later but I can't get a good screenshot of them.

From Parliament of Dreams

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 8, 2024

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

When did the worker caste get conceived/introduced? Pretty sure on at least one or two occasions early on the Minbari are described (and I'm pretty sure at least one of those is by Delenn) as being religious or warrior caste.

She says something along the lines of when the Religious and Warrior Castes agree on something terrible things happen. But there hasn't been any explicit mention of the caste system so far in my watch through.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Q_res posted:

When Delenn reforms the Council with the new 2/5/2 split this is explicitly said not to be the case and that the Religious and Warrior castes are both minorities that yield outsized power.

Also In The Beginning, there's a scene where Londo is being asked about the Minbari and one of the generals ask if it's true a third of their population is in the military and Londo tries to correct them by saying that they have a warrior caste but gets ignored.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I've gotten to TKO in my watch through. It's...fine I guess? The B plot with Susan dealing with the death of her father really helps it.
Also there's something about the lumpy alien's speech about how humans don't respect their traditions and beliefs and how they're infesting their home worlds or whatever doesn't sit right with me. Maybe it's because there's a bunch of Centauri in the background nodding in approval of the speech, which is kind of funny given what we know of them and what they did to the Narn among others.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Obviously aliens WERE racist against humans but the human defeating the champion in TKO cured their racism like how Rocky defeating Ivan Drago ended the cold war

Well the Mutado grandmaster did have a legit reason to turn Walker down, since he was being a dick to everyone, but even then he couched it in "no humans allowed".

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, TKO sets up a human-vs-alien dynamic that doesn't really exist anywhere else in the show and doesn't make much sense given everything else seems to indicate that Earth actually has better relations with the minor worlds than most of the other great powers.

I chose to believe the whole thing is actually an elaborate scam and the boxing aliens are just being belligerent to stop anyone looking too closely an their 'ancient tradition'.

"We're not betting on a blood sport, it's a holy ritual of our people! And, um, of all these other species too!"
"Wait, Mu-Tai? As in Muay Thai? That's just Thai boxing, that's not a religious ritual-"
"oh crap, these are the guys we stole this sport from originally EVERYONE COME LOOK AT THE INTOLERANT HUMAN!"

There is a touch of it in The War Prayer, specifically at the end of the episode where G'kar and the Minbari talk about how they can't understand just how racist all humans are, not like it was a specific group of humans or humanity didn't experience a near extinction level event in the recent past that might make them more xenophobic or anything.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Watching Grail now and it's there that Lennier says that there's only two castes, followed by Delenn saying that terrible things happen when they agree on something. So I guess the concept of worker caste wasn't introduced then, which leads to the question of who the orange and grey Minbari are.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Watching A Voice in the Wilderness and I noticed that they're drinking out of those non-spill cups. Just another thing DS9 stole from B5 :v:

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Watching The Quality of Mercy, and if it wasn't obvious that B5 drew inspiration from Lord of the Rings before now, it should be be now, with Lennier referring to his 117th year as eleventy seventh year. Though I thought Minbari only live around 150 years so maybe this gets dropped later.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

The triluminary being just a “Sinclair’s DNA Detector” (not even a human DNA detector, since, presumably, they tried it on other human prisoners and it didn’t glow) misinterpreted does not invalidate the broader Minbari understanding of the nature of the soul or the patterns of reincarnation to which Minbari souls have been subjected.

Except Lennier said in Points of Departure that they did try it on other humans and it did glow. Or at least it did enough of the time to make them believe that humans have Minbari souls.
Also watching Revelations and I never realised that there's essentially a town or city in the inner ring that you see every time they do the establishing shot of the bar they hang out in.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Isn't everyone in Europe supposedly descended from Charlemagne?

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Just watched Soul Mates. The bit where Susan asks Delenn if she tried washing her hair with water and she acts like the thought never occurred to her has me wondering about male Minbari who grow beards. Are their beards like really grody, or are they brittle because they use the exfoliant Delenn mentions on them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I have gotten to season 3, and while the Minbari in orange karate gi and aprons are gone, this Narn with this particular face keeps popping up everywhere.

Eighties ZomCom fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 26, 2024