Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Lot of bad episodes had terrible rubber monsters, like Season 1 Infection, or the Season 3 Grey 17 is missing.
Still love this show and rewatch it every couple years. Even the Crusade and the TV-movies.

EDIT: I see that the Lurker's guide to Babylon 5 is still up after all these years.
It is the best source of references, little tidbits and JMS musings on the show.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
People only wish that Nagrath was a product of a fevered nightmare. He's real and pretty much got canned, because humans with rubber-masks are easier to work with.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

There was someone who claimed to have worked on DS9 who said as much a few years ago, and you can find old JMS usenet postings where he seems pretty frustrated with how DS9 is, somehow, doing similar plot arcs at similar times as B5.

Or characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WkQTzAcYk

An actor for a Rebel general couldn't make it to a pivotal episode, because he had been booked as a Rebel Admiral in a DS9 episode.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Is it Crusader bad? Ranger-movie bad? or just boring?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It was getting less bad by the end, it may actually have been Good within the next series!

Just like B5!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

On the other hand, The Parliament of Dreams.

Other B5-era SF TV: Robocop, VR.5. And of course, if you want to see exactly how much Paramount stole from the B5 playbook there's Dog poo poo Nine.

DS9 vs B5 is so 90's.
Nowadays you can like both of them.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Oh yeah, Earth2. I totally forgot about that! I really, really tried to like it when it was airing.

It had weapons-grade annoying children, if I remember correctly.

I had a friend who really got into it and declared it the most realistic space tv-show ever.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Clouseau posted:

I think the seat of your pants thing works because you can't expect television production to be predictable - even with cast changes and his back up plans, if B5 was canceled in season two (like Sense8) there'd be no real satisfying way to wrap it up without having a tv movie that just speeds through plot.

Every season of B5 had a nice ending, that would have worked as series finale:

Season 1: All gone to poo poo. (Shame there wasn't more seasons)
Season 2: All still poo poo, there's some hope. (Shame there wasn't more seasons)
Season 3: Sacrifice at Zhadum (World saved. the end)
Season 4: Sleep in light + Conflicts end (Best spot to end series, IMHO)

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

fist4jesus posted:

Jeramiah is a pretty good JMS show.
It has Luke Perry and the Son from the Cosby show, who probably has a dark secret.

I 2nd this recommendation. a Really good post-apocalyptic show. a Shame it only got 2 seasons.

It also has Sam Gamgee as regular on second season.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do you know what a poster has to do in order to avoid picking up stray spoilers?

Watch every episode?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

JMS other show Jeremiah was also pretty good. Too bad it only got 2 seasons.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Babylon 5: Das Ende Der Markab"

Very topical.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Yeah. Don't ruin it.

Just start rewatching the series yet again, like me.

I haven't seen The Gathering in like 15 years or so, because none of my season boxes or movie boxes have it.
First impressions: The beginning is really exposition heavy and feels more like independent station, than an actual Earth outpost.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

S2E20 - The Long, Twilight Struggle

Wow. Yep, seems pretty clear to me now why G'Kar will be the one to kill Londo.

That felt like a season finale to me, holy poo poo.

I'm pretty sure we all thought this back in the day. :lol:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Delenn assumed Anna was dead because Anna wouldn't willingly work for the Shadows. She didn't know about people being used as CPUs for Shadow vessels or what effect that has on people.

Delenn Lied, Sheridan Died.

Don't trust her.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I remember JMS posted once that a White House staffer told him Bush and Cheney were big B5 fans. Never sure whether to believe JMS' stories though.

That's easy to believe. Clarke is clearly Lyndon B. Johnson to JFKs Santiago. They even remade his inauguration.

Sheridan is Nixon Reagan in this scenario.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Babylon 5 is an extremely good show.

It is one of my top 3 JMS shows too.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Also Jeremiah was great.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Surely there was an rpg or card game that could answer these questions.

No stats, but a lot of text.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Oasx posted:

I had no idea there was a B5 thread.

I recently re-watched it, I was a little disappointed that they didn't remaster/re-do the CGI, but I understand that that would probably have been extremely expensive, otherwise it looks really good.

CGI was originally made with Amigas, so it can't be that expensive.
What's the current going rate for a Amiga-farm to render some CGI?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Babylon 5: The Next Generation

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

We clearly need a new thread title. Post your ideas.

Babylon 5: The Coming of CW-series

Babylon 5: Reboot... Zoot Zoot

Issaries fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 29, 2021

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

It failed. DUN DUN DUN DUUU.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

I wonder if JMS is going to do the OG Delenn transition story from male Minbari to female Humbari or is it too :yikes: topic for this day and age

I'd say the core of the show is the 3 Ambassadors and 3 Station Senior staff.
Other regulars, like ambassadorial attaches, Doctor and Telepath are more easily replaced and changed.
I don't count Kosh, because he is more of a Deus ex Machina, than a character.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Babylon 5: No Cute Kids, No Cute Robots. Teens maybe?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Having families really grounded DS9 in a way that B5 lacked.

Well there was a kid in Believers
Also one or two in Confessions and Lamentations.

Do you really want more kids to die?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Alhazred posted:

I mean, how would you tell the difference between a good haircut and a bad one in this show.

Theres s2-5 Garibaldi vs season 1 Totally not Balding.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Narsham posted:

I am depressed by your somewhat hateful and false depiction of Delenn. Minbari caste systems are not fixed (we witness a conversion on Neroon's part and all he has to do is make a public declaration), it is unclear how their leadership is chosen but they appear to have at least a somewhat representative system, and Delenn turns down multiple leadership positions over the course of the show. I find it disheartening that Clark and ISN's transparent propaganda smearing Sheridan in part through racial animus directed at the Minbari generally and Delenn specifically has somehow crept into your post as valid. There's a lot of valid concerns about Delenn, and the show highlights several, but this is not worthy of you.

Ultimately, if your criteria for leadership is that the "peasants" have to be in charge or it's authoritarianism, I wonder what real-world governments have avoided authoritarianism in your eyes.

If vast majority of people are peasants, then they should get more say than the elites.

Minbari government is bit based on 3 estates, where tiny minorities of Nobles and Clergy held more say than the Peasants.
In show the mobility between castes is possible, but treated as something special, not common.
A deathbed conversion of a one of the most powerful Minbari wouldn't have been such a power move, if it was considered common thing to do.

All governments in Babylon 5 have their failings. Minbari problem is their rigid caste structure that's based on obeying their betters.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

sebmojo posted:

She also condemned an entire race to death when she was mad one time, she is an alien of contrasts

To be fair, she has grown more as a human since then.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Clark/Clarke is easy mistake to make as they're both real similar names.

It's harder to understand using Minibars and Zorlons. That's my hard line.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Small White Dragon posted:

Well "Confessions and Lamentations" (the episode where the Markab are all killed off by a virus) was more interesting on this rewatch.

I still find it hilarious that German name for the episode was:
”Das Ende Der Markab”
To the point and direct.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

"If". Book 3 in particular sells for a mint now.

Mint is for suckers collectors

Good condition book 3:s seem to be about $25 from US. Of course a bit more expensive if you import it to Europe / Kangarooland.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Souls are like farts.
They're not you, but are a part of you.
And once one escapes your body, you can never put them back.

Therefore doc was right.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

So assuming the JMS meltdown means that the new B5 is completely dead?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Timby posted:

focusing on the 55-and-older crowd is what killed the future of the show.

10 years too soon remake?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

My understanding of the first ones was that they are technology based too, including their immortality.
It is just that their technology is so advanced that it is indistinguishable from Magic by the younger races.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Lorien was immortal, naturally. It's unclear how it worked out with the Vorlons and Shadows.

Yes, but was Loriens Greatgreat... n~69 ..Grandpa Immortal?
I think not.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

from newbie thread

Grand Fromage posted:

They also do a great job with the composition and stuff so even though it's low res it still looks good. And the CG significantly improves through the series.

Eh, it is a matter of an opinion. Series gets more pixels, but the design and composition goes to poo poo.
No more semi-realistic Newtonian Space combat. Instead we get Star Wars style Pew Pew Pew and Airplane dogfights.

Best space battle is between Narns and Shadows in Season 2 episode "The Long Twilight Struggle". No contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

CainFortea posted:

???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPcFzBBS3tc

They did add a bit more...swoopyness?...but that always seemed relegated to the more advanced ships in the show overall.

As far as I'm concerned, swoopy ships are less advanced :colbert:

This is the good stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqpVl-gdIyE