Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ah, Babylon 5 thread, how I've missed you!

I don't stray into TVIV much these days, so it took me a while to realize someone made a new one.

I finally did a rewatch of the series last winter, and holy poo poo, did I actually notice some of the plot lines and hints start coming together.

Confession time: I kind of gave up a few episodes into season 5. My computer's dvd player was having issues, and I didn't feel like walking downstairs with my newly-purchased box set to watch it on the blu-ray player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Data Graham posted:

I'm also appreciating John Vickery's many roles. I had previously only known him as Scar in The Lion King on Broadway.

Pfffff peace in our time, could he at least have quoted it right

As I rewatched the show a number of months ago, it blew my mind when I realized that he played Neroon and Welles, the guy from Nightwatch (while giving me an odd Paul Ryan vibe).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Milky Moor posted:

He always made me think of a poor man's Colin Firth.

it's the dark hair with a widow's peak coupled with the faux-concern hiding a more sinister goal in mind that did it for me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Milky Moor posted:

I'm also pretty sure the cast have opinions which change in the same episode. Sheridan seems fine with it as a form of justice, but the glare he gives the murderer at the end shows that it's a bit more than just clinging to an ideal - it's harder when you're invested in some fashion.

That's one of the things I loved about that episode. The episode really hammers that point a bit much, but considering that idea is rarely actually broached, I found it pretty refreshing to see.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Data Graham posted:

I really like the S4 titles sequence, though. Finally it's looking like a "real" show, plus the original theme music is back.

Season 3's credits still make me think "Monday night NFL line-up!" All that's missing is listing everyone's stats where the credits are.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Data Graham posted:

OTOH, the Zack/Lyta elevator scene in Thirdspace is just excruciating. I remember it being kinda funny and getting laughs from the crowd in the theater, but my god it does not hold up.

I feel like maybe they were trying to recapture the "elevator scene" magic, but it just wasn't gonna happen twice. A bigger waste of five minutes of screen time I have never seen.

I'm pretty sure they only shot that scene because they were short of a certain runtime, so they wrote that scene in quickly.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

PM bandwagon? Might as well. It was B5 that got me platinum, so might as well make the most of it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Oh Jesus gently caress. Really? Wow.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Data Graham posted:

Hahaha holy gently caress, what the hell is this garbage music in "A Call to Arms"

Evan H. Chen... what happened to Christopher Franke?

Whatever it is, it's everywhere in Crusade.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I think I remember in my original run-through that I started liking Crusade towards the end once they got their heads out of their asses and started with some episodes where they actually did something and started building to something.

bobkatt013 posted:

Still better than Legend of the Rangers

That's damning with faint praise.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Data Graham posted:

Yeah, for some reason I thought that reaver chase scene was from one of the first Firefly TV episodes, don't know what happened there.

There was a Reaver chase, but it was different. They tried to outrun a Reaver ship by flipping around and setting their exhaust on fire. Can't seem to find it on YouTube.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Glad this thread was bumped because I wanted to ask something relevant:

I was watching TV the other day, and all I could think was Kellyanne Conway sounds like that political office B5 had for an episode that was trying to sleep with Sheridan. Am I the only one?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Angry Lobster posted:

And the Minbari hated him for what he did in the Earth-Minbari war, kinda funny how that choice turned out.

That's what Minbari War Syndrome does to you.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

SlothfulCobra posted:

For the longest time, I really resented the relative moral simplicity of the conflict with the shadows, especially in comparison to how complex the rest of the show was. The shadows really seemed like plain ol' bad guys ruining things for little reason other than that's what they do.

Kicking out the Vorlons at the end of it added a little to the complexity of it all, but it didn't quite make up for things.

While I never liked the idea of an entire race dedicating itself to one sole purpose (and warring with another race who also has a sole purpose), it was made up for by the other characters having to clean up their mess.

The climax isn't the Vorlons and the Shadows leaving, it's the final battle over Earth.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

kaynorr posted:

I would be equally happy with a Babylon 5 where Sheridan is the commander from day one and there is a more refined version of the Earth conspiracy story arc (anyone remember Bureau 13? The convoluted infighting between Clark & Bester?)

I totally forgot about Bureau 13. Was there any information about what that was supposed to be? Or did they retcon it to be as stupid as Quantum being a part of Spectre in Spectre?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

e X posted:

Honestly, there a so few shows that actually have the heroes deal with the political fallout of their actions, especially genre shows like Babylon 5. I am a huge fan of space politics and the fact that Babylon 5 prominently deals with them is the main reason I love the show so much.

And I competently agree that they telepath colony should have been featured more on the show. It's really weird too. After that episodes, the fact that there even is a group of free telepath on the station and that Franklin is one of the major person in the underground railway is completly dropped from the show. I mean, once Babylon 5 declares independence and it becomes clear that PsyCorps is a major factor in Clark's regime, you figure the colony would be come a bigger plot point, not vanish without a trace. Or when they start to hire telepath to fight the shadow ships. Essentially, the existence of the free telepath is basically retconed, since Byron's group is treated as competently new. Which is really a shame, since the underground railroad was such a better idea, both in concept and execution.

As for the portrayal of the sides as a grey or black and white conflict, I just finished season 4 on my current rewatch and something that always bugs me is the way the show portraits the loyal Earthforce officers when contrasted with the way Clark's regime. They make it pretty clear that there are horrible war crimes happening, but at the same time, they have way to many officers going on about how they just don't think the military should dictate policy. Which is a giant load of bullshit! That extends to characters like Lochley.

Maybe that is just me, but if you stand idle by while your government commits war crime after war crime, hiding behind protocol or even actively defending that regime against those who want to stop it, you are at least complicit in every atrocity that could have been prevented.

Not quite. Didn't Sheridan tell him to shut down the underground railroad to keep the PsiCorps away?

As for the second thing, yeah that always bothered me, too. Still, it's obviously post-hoc rationalization by people who were just being good li'l soldiers and following orders.

(Though I'd still love to know how you can enforce a planetary curfew).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Milky Moor posted:

Crusade seems like it was one half flawed idea, one half studio meddling. TNT did nothing good to it but I don't think it was really that great in the first place. I always thought the Excalibur was an ugly design; its sets were definitely uglier than B5's. The music was terrible compared to Franke. The story, by the sounds of things, seemed like it would've become very similar to B5 (The plague would've been cured early and then the crew would've been fighting an EA conspiracy based around shadowtech). More technomages, the guys who were maybe the worst part of B5 and yet became increasingly prominent as time went on. And an approach to things that was a bit more... magical than B5's hardness. A box that mind controls people, a magical sword, etc. etc.

It barely felt like a Babylon 5 thing at all. It felt like a Star Trek knock-off.

I think JMS might've just tapped his creative well dry after B5.

Did he ever reveal more info about Crusade? That is, what the cure was going to be, the conspiracy angle (never heard that until just now), the truth behind the box?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I don't think I actually watched The Gathering until I rewatched the show a few years ago.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Jedit posted:

Regarding Andromeda, it's a sin how much potential was wasted there in the name of dumbing down. There's an early S1 episode where Hunt finds an old outpost inhabited by the descendants of Navy cadets who have turned their training into a religion. The cadets have weapons of mass destruction, too, and when Hunt shows up they're all "Yay, now we can restore the Commonwealth and if anyone argues we nuke the fucker!" Hunt gives them the expected "You can never build anything good with war, threats and fear" speech and takes their nukes away ... so he can rearm the Andromeda Ascendant. But all the moments like that were gradually stripped away; I stopped watching long before the end, but I understand at one point they took the arm spines off the Nietszcheans "so they wouldn't have to explain them every week".

I actually really liked that show when I was younger for pretty much all the reasons mentioned before, and that episode was pretty good for that reason.

Then... yeah, Sorbo went nuts.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I'll say that I spent about 15 minutes yesterday just reading B5 lore on the B5 wikia, and it really made me wish that there was more of that poo poo.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

I finally moved out to my own place (again), and I invited my cousin over to hang out and help me put my new bed together. While waiting for him, I decided to continue on where I left off on my latest re-watch from earlier this year (season 5, episode 2).

I started putting the bed together myself because of how boring the beginning of the season is. By the time he showed up, there wasn't much left to do.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

did you drink zima whilst doing so?

...Can you still find it?

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Midjack posted:

It had a limited release this July and did well enough it may come back for a while. It's never left production in Japan.

Another thing I'll have to add to my "things to do/eat/drink in Japan" list.

Seriously, I'd forgotten how meandering and pointless the first half of season 5 is. Now the Byron arc is over and the Raiders arc is reaching a head and Garibaldi's alcoholism is flaring back up.

Between this and playing Mass Effect 3 finally, it's really making me wish something like this was on TV again.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Open Source Idiom posted:

Uhhh... check again buddy. You've got The Orville, Star Trek: Discovery, The Expanse, Killjoys, Defiance*, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD (Season 5). Lots of great stuff over the last few years.

*not in space, but possibly the closest Babylon 5 of all the above.

Life's gotten in the way so I haven't had a chance to keep track of what's on these days. Thanks for compiling it for me.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Baka-nin posted:

And have George's father in the line up of earth religions with the Festivus poll.

I love this like you wouldn't believe.

Frank: You seen the pole, Mollari?

and then later Lennier saying, "I find your belief system fascinating."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

V-Men posted:

Roddenberry must have gotten kookier with age. In TOS he had Nichelle Nichols read for the parts of Spock and Bones because he hadn't decided that their characters would be male.

It's hard to say because a lot of his earlier stuff was tempered by other people. Even Star Trek: The Motion Picture, despite having him involved, was still way more "normal" than it could've been (if the novelization written by him is to be believed).

Supposedly during the last years of his life, a good deal of it was due to his lawyer's interference, but I can't cite that and might be remembering incorrectly.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

The No Surrender, No Retreat suite is fantastic (Warning: SPOILERS up to and including season 4).

And if you're really weirded out by B5's music, just wait until you hear the music used for "A Call to Arms" and Crusade.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Voyager didn't deserve that opening theme.

Absolutely. It's like they put all their creative effort (by hiring Jerry Goldsmith :v:) into making those amazing opening credits and said, "Well, good work, gang. Let's take the next 7 years off."

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Vavrek posted:

That new fighter pilot guy was a "suggestion" from higher-up that JMS was given.

What happens to him is one my favorite little details, knowing that the character was forced on the writer.

They never gave him another such suggestion. :allears:

I think someone said that JMS regrets sidelining the character in retrospect because he really liked the actor.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems so dumb and cheesy and then you find out that the rise of actual fascism is super dumb and filled with cheesy obvious lies.

The real world seems so badly written at times.

What I loved about that slide isn't that it was due to some leader people rallied behind, but that people just stood back and let it happen. Clark was the figurehead, but there was an orchestrated attempt by powers to get the population of Earth to get behind an authoritarian regime using all-too-familiar rhetoric.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Anyone talking about tertiary characters needs to wait until the series is over and then talk to me about Neroon.

I still can't believe it took so long for me to discover that the one MiniPax rep from EarthGov was the same actor that played Neroon.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Delthalaz posted:

Just finished Soul Hunter!

Do they spell "security" differently in the future?

I always wondered why they used odd font. I mean, I get that it's ~the future~ or whatever, but that poo poo should be easily legible to the thousands/millions of visitors from multiple worlds that you get.

Unless it's stylized, like the Zocalo.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Doctor Zero posted:

For some reason the scene where Garibaldi counts floors in the elevator is one of my favorites. No idea why. I just think it's clever.

There's an episode of The A-Team that had the exact same thing happen.

It's a neat little thing that thankfully barely gets used to show how clever or observant the characters are. I'm glad more writers don't use it, otherwise it'd stop being good.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Polaron posted:

Didn't his actor also show up as a human? One of the Nightwatch assholes or something?

I rewatched the final couple of DS9 seasons recently, and I realized he was also Gul Rusot in some of the penultimate episodes. I'll say one thing: even under the make-up he has the same drat scowl as Neroon.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

sebmojo posted:

i heard they use spoo

my biggest problem with the telepaths is how badly lyta gets neutered as a character, she has a really interesting arc through the series and it would have been easy to have her as an active cohort of byrons rather than a blankeyed robot.

10 credits an ounce, if you can believe it.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Doctor Zero posted:

E: E: hold on. I thought her name was Christiansen. Did I slip into a parallel universe, or is this some kind of Mandela effect thing going on? Or it could be I’m just an idiot.

Had a TA in university who did the same, when he pointed out to me that she also played Bill's mom in Freaks and Geeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy anniversary to everyone today!