Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Kingtheninja posted:

Well I'm somewhere in the early Season 2 at this point (episode 4 or 5 I think?). I'm kind of taking time to get used to Sheridan, as I really liked Sinclair. What was the off-set reason for switching? I was all ready and excited to see Delenn's transformation and exit from the cocoon, only to have it immediately ruined by the opening credits of Season 2.

The opening credits was an error during DVD remastering - when they were originally broadcast the credits had a shot of Delenn in the Series 1 makeup on the first two episodes which was replaced by the standard shot once the transformation was revealed.

One of the many screw-ups on the DVD releases!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Maelstache posted:

In fact, Channel 4 decided it would be a great idea if the final five episodes were shown on weekday mornings in the middle of The Big Breakfast. Because what everyone wanted to hear was Johnny Vaughan and a house full of people talking very loudly over the end credits.

After many complaints they ran them again...in the 1pm graveyard slot.

Season 5 really did kicked around the schedules as I remember. They didn't know what to with it. At one point it was on at lunchtime on a Sunday.

While they did gently caress up with the final 5 episodes of Season 5, they did make up for it by starting a repeat run of the entire series late night on Sundays!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

Also this is just the worst article

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/the-quick-hack-guide-to-watching-only-the-best-of-babylon-5

I can understand wanting to skip large swaths of season 1 but this author even omitted Signs and Portents.

So based on this list, we should skip The Long Twilight Struggle (so meaning we see the Narn/Centauri war start, but not end), but watch Grey 17 is Missing?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Not that anything should be skipped from Season 2 onwards, but I'm wondering what would be lost were you to skip A Distant Star or The Long Dark (or is it The Long Night?) Maybe GROPOS as well...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’d recommend The Audio Guide to Babylon 5 - they’ve finished the main series and the first three movies and are officially on hiatus until they go back and do Crusade and the other movies. It has however been a year since the hiatus starts so it’s possible they’ve moved on.

As a bonus they split the discussion into spoiler and non-spoiler sections so you can listen to it without being spoilt.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

wizzardstaff posted:

Wasn't it released years later? I am generally a fan of consuming media by publication date.

In The Beginning and Thirdspace came out between seasons 4 and 5, while River of Souls came out right at the end of season 5 (just before Sleeping in Light, I believe) and Call to Arms came out after Series 5 ended.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Good grief, superb.

Middle of the season, too! That was something you'd normally see at the end and beginning with a blue ball cliffhanger for six months.

Originally there was a month gap between Point of No Return and Severed Dreams - not quite as bad but enough to be annoying!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

hope and vaseline posted:

I have a feeling that Na'toth was supposed to have a larger role, but apparently the original actress had issues with the prosthetics which caused her to have only a few appearances in season 1, and apparently JMS didn't like how the replacement actress portrayed her.

Wasn't that Ko'Dath (who was only in Born to the Purple, then had an airlock accident)? Or did that happen to the first Na'Toth as well and they just madebad choices with their Narn aides and prosthetics?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I’m just finishing Season 2 after introducing the series to my girlfriend, and why has it taken me over 20 years to realize Keffer bares more than a passing resemblance to Bashir on DS9?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Jedit posted:

^^^ 2X18 Confessions and Lamentations

Walkabout was always Franklin's best episode. The confrontation with himself is one of my favourite scenes in the show, and it's not a show lacking in great scenes.

Walkabout, or Shadow Dancing?

Walkabout is the one with Franklin and the singer, while Shadow Dancing is the one where he is stabbed and has the conversation with himself.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I'm enjoying this theory in the newbie thread that Keffer was taken over by the Shadows - shame in reality he never got anything so interesting in the series!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

...rights problem?

There was a Bureau 13 video game released around the same time as Spider in the Web was broadcast. JMS was unaware of the game when he created Bureau 13, but it was decided to remove them to avoid any further issues.

Curiously, when DS9 brought in their secret underground organization, they went with the similar Section 31...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I didn't want to post even this over there, but I'm guessing someone just didn't take into account that every fourth century year (including 2000) was not a leap year.

Unless I’m missing something, 2000 was a leap year? Certainly there was a February 29th, 2000.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

I forget, when were the first shots of Minbar?

I'm thinking the first episode of War Without End.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Seeing the newbie thread got to Confessions and Lamentations, when is it that the series outright says the Shadows are attacking people who they feel wronged them?

I've always felt the Markab plague was punishment for their ambassador being the only person to talk about the Shadows in one of the early S2 episodes (The Long Dark, I think).

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Jedit posted:

The Gathering wasn't scored by Franke, though. It had a score by Stewart Copeland of The Police.

IIRC the special edition was rescored by Franke.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Just watched Call to Arms and I have to ask, what the hell is going on with the music?

A decision to not use Chris Franke and go with someone else instead - this will unfortunately continue through Crusade.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

The talk about the viewing order in the newbie thread reminded me of one of the oddest scheduling choices with the movies - The River of Souls, which was set after everyone left B5, was broadcast before Objects at Rest, so slightly spoiling that episode.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Just got to season 2 tonight in my rewatch on Vudu. The opening credits for the first 2 episodes do not spoil Delenn's new appearance, as happens on the DVDs. This is the only way to watch going forward.

Did they also fix the Season 4 finale? They had to re-edit the credits to remove Ivanova, but the DVDs all had the standard credits (including the R2 ones which corrected the S2 error with Delenn).

There’s also the Psi-Corps credit, but I think that was fixed in R1, but not R2 (which also had an even bigger error in The Fall of Centauri Prime, which removed the entire teaser).

Makes me miss the VHS releases, where they didn’t screw up things like this!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

The Doctor is going to be so disappointed when he realizes General Hague decided to do a DS9 and so got killed off off-screen...

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

As is typical with these kind of things, JMS has no idea what’s going on here.

Which probably means that if this is coming, he won’t have any involvement and we’re going to get the same bonus material as we got on the DVDs (if we get that!)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Question about the remasters - have they fixed the opening credits for the first few episodes of Season 2 and showed Delenn as she appeared in Season 1 as it was broadcast originally? Likewise with the opening credits to the Season 4 finale which should have removed Ivanova’s credit.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

When I introduced my girlfriend to the series we skipped The Gathering and jumped straight to Season 1 - I think the only time it was an issue was when they referenced the attack on Kosh in one episode and how Lyta was the only person to see him aside from the doctor.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Wasn’t there an issue with Passing Through Gethsemane where someone wrote to JMS suggesting that exact plot line while he was writing the episode, and so he had to go through a load of legal hoops to ensure he wasn’t accused of copying the idea?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

My favourite Jurasik story was that at the beginning of one season where he needed to get back into the Londo mindset, he would just shout out ‘MISTER GariBALdi!’, and -bam- he’d be Londo.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Jedit posted:

In the UK it was broadcast on C4, so named because it was our fourth terrestrial channel. C4 pleased JMS mightily by treating the show as a valued property, not cutting scenes to make ad breaks fit or showing it out of order. Because of this, he deliberately wrote a couple of scenes into the show where C&C receive a message on Channel 4 so the station could use them for idents. So you already knew - you just didn't know you knew.

Yeah - it’s just a shame that they screwed up their handling of Season 5 (and especially the final 5 episodes...)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

E: The one thing that drives him nuts as stated earlier, is people who toss out ideas. I have to imagine that there have been times he's taught of something that someone happened to guess and post on twitter, and then he has to change it. That's got to be annoying.

There’s the whole Passing Through Gethsemane thing, where the episode was originally planned for Season 2, but a fan messaged him on a BBS saying what a great idea a story about a mind wiped criminal would be. This led to JMS having to put the episode on hold until he was able to get legal documentation confirming that the episode was written/plotted prior to being contact by the fan and any similarities were coincidental.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Are you suggesting that after mentioning them several times in season 1, we will finally see Major Atumbe?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

CainFortea posted:

The only one I can think of is Ironheart.

What about Kosh’s recording of Talia, which Garibaldi remembered about when she was exposed, and was never mentioned again?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

It has a feeling of audio drama - maybe he got involved with Big Finish?

As to the TV series, he’s still adamant it’s coming (apparently there’s someone high up at the CW who is really fighting for it)…

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Did JMS ever release the Babylon 5 pitch he put to Paramount?

While both shows having a character called D(h)ukat seems a suspiciously huge coincidence, the deep backstory about who’s death started the Earth/Minbari seems far too much unnecessary information to put in a series pitch.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/_mrpussy/status/1629950604838678530

The condition he had the surgery to address didn't show up until 2004 so they probably didn't have much to talk about.

Deleted already - what idiocy was that?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Chevy Slyme posted:

Also, Ivanova instead of Lochley would've made a world of difference.

IIRC the plan was to have Ivanova falling for Byron, but after Christian left they gave Lyta her role.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

sebmojo posted:

The bit where Sinclair does by any means necessary does get brought up again, doesn't it? Not sure if they missed it or haven't got to it

It’s mentioned in ‘Eyes’, isn’t it?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Wasn’t that story forced to be 2 parts because the suits wanted a 2 part story so they could market it in Japan (or something like that?)

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

i think he's hinted at it being an audio drama or something like that

I thought the audio drama was going to be his big announcement at Comic Con and has been explicitly vetoed until then?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Is this the same thing that was intended for Comic Con?
And if so, would the fact it’s being announced now suggest it’s coming sooner rather than later?

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Marcus has been noticeably missing from any promo material - has JMS said anything about his absence?

Likewise for Talia and (I suppose) Keffer…

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

Was there anyone else on both Sliders and B5 other than Peter Jurassic?

Jerry Doyle did an early Season 5 episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

I don’t know if I’m confusing this with Terry Farrell quitting DS9 (as I know this was one of the reasons for her leaving), but wasn’t there also something about Claudia Christian wanting fewer episodes so she could do a movie however the studio wouldn’t accommodate it, whereas JMS would have written her out without an issue?

Of course, when you bring JMS into the conversation, wasn’t there another issue where he tried unsuccessfully dating Christian?