Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Delenn: "butt butt butt :butt: :butt: :butt:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm just finishing up S2 right now, and I can tell there are plenty of things to find out about the Vorlons coming up, but the mystery is nice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nerdman42 posted:

Oh there's a thread for this.

With Hastings going out of business, I managed to grab seasons one and two for about $10 each about a week ago and pushed myself through two to three episodes a night.

I skipped a few that didn't grab my interest and overall season 1 is a bit... boring. The dialogue's pretty stilted and the acting can be pretty cheesy. I'm still gonna give season two a shot (maybe even later tonight), but I don't think I'm really won over yet.

So far though, my favorite episodes are the one with Morden. What a fun creepazoid and that whole "What do you want?" questioning of everyone is an amazing tool to understand the characters and move the plot along. Its kind of weird that they were so open about what they want (Delenn aside) but its easy enough to brush over.

Edit: Oh, and does Walter Koenig come back as the Psi Corp guy because he's phenomenal.

S2 really does kick it up from :dance: to fairly constant :tviv: .

Londo's arc (and G'Kar's) are the most incredible tranwreck. S1 sets them up as these harmless bickering fops, and then holy poo poo what did they railroad themselves into.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hahaha yeah I don't know if Jack quite works for me. Couldn't they have done without that on-the-nose epilogue? Whole thing felt unnecessary and detracted from the impact and mystery of the rest of the episode, and it's not like it was even important to explain the reference they were making.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm also appreciating John Vickery's many roles. I had previously only known him as Scar in The Lion King on Broadway.

Pfffff peace in our time, could he at least have quoted it right

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Heh, there's that infamous elevator scene that I'd seen once out of context. Niiiiiice.

Also, "Netter Syndrome". They keep doing that

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Passing Through Gethsemane": boy you guys weren't kidding about this dude being conflicted. Not just about religion, but I'm pretty sure that comes across as a pro-death-penalty stance to boot.

And then woo, here we go with the political intrigue. Plus "you're about to go where every man has gone before" :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Heh, "Exogenesis"--its like The Inner Light meets Wrath of Khan and attaches itself to the spine of a Trill.

Lol at that awkward romance setup at the end though :getin:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And now we're under Martian law! :captmurphy:

Majel Barrett :dance:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pentyne posted:

It's 100% about forgiveness. The "death of personality" is a really complex philosophical question but the entire end of the episode between the new monk, the head monk, and Sheridan spells it out explicitly.

Yeah, that's true. I had in mind more like the atmospheric bits throughout the episode, like how Garibaldi got the last word with his "not everybody ends up blind and toothless, only the bad guys" thing; and how much weight and sympathy was given to the victims' families and their grievance for having been "cheated" of justice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's funny how you can tell what movies were in the public consciousness at the time. "Sic Transit Vir": ah hah, someone just saw Schindler's List :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It definitely leaves it open for further discussion by the audience, rather than the didactic Trek style of bringing up a moral point just to take a stand on it. And different people in the main cast have different opinions, which is also refreshing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"A Late Delivery from Avalon", loving :lol: ok

E: I mean okay I dig how they pulled it together and made the metaphor work w.r.t. the misunderstanding that started the Minbari war and all, but drat, holy poo poo what a premise to run with

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, I kept thinking he reminded me of a young Ray Wise or something. The one-off actors they keep coming up with are something loving else. Talk about stage presence. That style of scenery-chewing would never fly in a modern series.

I know I'm nitpicking like hell here, but god drat, "his speech patterns are too contemporary, his vocabulary too modern"—yeah never mind that he's speaking loving English as we recognize it at all

Also where did the idea of Bedivere being Arthur's brother come from? I don't remember that in any of the versions I read.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"As my great-grandfather used to say, cool!" :buddy:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So yeah, "War Without End", that's one hell of a thing right there. :gowron: Dunno if I've ever enjoyed a space-time wedgie story quite so much. And the amount of satisfying S1 callbacks, jesus, nicely done.

I really enjoy Zathras, against all my instincts and initial reactions. It's a nice fresh take on the Gollum thing, dude's actually benevolent and insightful and helpful, he's just a loving weirdo. "At least there is symmetry! :haw: "

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I also get the suspicion that JMS spent some time as a mechanic, or at least mechanically inclined at a hobbyist level. The episode with the restoration of the 90s motorcycle kind of spoke from the heart, as it were; and in this latest episode Zathras is looking through the tools, and he picks one up and goes "No... never use this." That made me snort, such a "things a callused grease monkey would say" sort of thing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hahaha, Swedish Meatballs as the universal foodstuff. Would you like some jynnan tonnyx with that? :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That directorial flourish at the end of "No Hiding Place", with Refa running for his life in slow-mo while the baptist choir sings gospel in counterpoint, wow nice.

It was pretty rough by today's standards (the music was a pretty poor arrangement), but I feel like I just watched the seed being planted that would later grow into a hundred "cinematic" scenes in TV dramas from BSG to Breaking Bad.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BTW "In the Beginning" was pretty good, particularly in seeing the actors all playing younger (and older) versions of themselves. Jurasik somehow made "young and bright-eyed" work, and Katsulas even more so (it seemed like he'd boned up on how he'd acted at the beginning of the show and was playing up being a higher-energy version of himself again). Even Ivanova I could buy as a teenager. Really neat stuff.

I feel like it was all kind of deflated at the end by the sudden injection of the Sinclair story, though. They had to put in a climactic scene for the battle in question, but they'd already covered the big dramatic reveals regarding that event in the show itself, so they couldn't just replay it all the same way, and centering it on Sinclair (who hadn't even been in the movie up till that point) felt like an out-of-body experience. A new viewer would have been totally lost as to who this guy was and, especially, why these seemingly huge pivotal moments surrounding him (e.g. "we have to ally with the humans, this guy is a huge deal, pull back") mostly take place off-screen. I don't know how they could have handled it better, though. They kind of wrote themselves into a corner there.

I really like the S4 titles sequence, though. Finally it's looking like a "real" show, plus the original theme music is back.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I get that.

I'm saying they probably couldn't have done much differently, dramatically, even if he'd been able to. They'd have had to write him a much bigger part, or leave him out entirely, to make that segment work better for me.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

Do you know that we assigned him one of our best pain technicians? They used to be called torturers. Ever since they got organized, it's "pain technicians".

The 90s were a magical time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's also pretty unclear how Dr. Franklin knew so much about Minbari physiology prior to the open-gunports incident; I thought that incident was their first contact.

The wiki says Franklin was off doing some personal mission, but none of that comes out in the show to date that I recall?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That general that tried to pressure him was some kinda ca-razy actor. :monocle:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh hey Bryan Cranston :dance:

... :negative:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

For the Night Watch, think Stasi/"rat out your neighbors" a la eastern bloc. It becomes very clear.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So that's ... S4E06, and the show's apparently over?

Gonna be a hell of a Scouring of the Shire coming up

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought it might be, since the way this episode ends is like "TRIUMPHANT SPEECH OK ROLL CREDITS WE OUT".

I actually saw Thirdspace a long time ago, at its cast & crew premiere at a posh LA theater. I was seeing a guy who worked on the visual effects, and he told me a few interesting stories about stuff. I got to go as his guest and see a lot of the actors and bigshots in the audience. Also met JMS while he was shaking everyone's hands.

I didn't know much about the show and hadn't seen any of it at the time, so it was a little weird going in completely blind, but I thought it was a pretty fun story purely as a standalone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, better analogy. Slipped my mind somehow.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

nerdman42 posted:

That entire elevator scene with G'Kar and Londo is incredible. I'm sure other people have said it, but the fact G'Kar refuses to help in any way instead of the classic "enemies team up" situation is hysterical and really demonstrative of their rivalry.

OTOH, the Zack/Lyta elevator scene in Thirdspace is just excruciating. I remember it being kinda funny and getting laughs from the crowd in the theater, but my god it does not hold up.

I feel like maybe they were trying to recapture the "elevator scene" magic, but it just wasn't gonna happen twice. A bigger waste of five minutes of screen time I have never seen.

Dirty posted:

Definitely not interested in hearing any of those. Nope. Not at all. ;)

Well—it has to do with certain easter eggs that might actually get someone in trouble if I elaborated here. I'll PM anyone interested.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 18, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The 90s nostalgia in here is incredible, it's like a Usenet newsgroup post-AOL-invasion :v:

Anyway, "The Illusion of Truth" is amazing. I can't believe some of the ways this show chooses to have its fun:

"Let's see what's on. With our luck it'll probably be a commercial." *cut to commercial* Fuuuuuck, you actually did it, you maniacs

and then:

In a morass of sillly future predictions, this one's eerily close

Then again, "Dan Randall" :thumbsup:

And

Jumping the gun a little :newlol:

"Helsinki Syndrome" pfff

But then that silent scene at the end was a pretty innovative move

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 19, 2016

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Guys, just PM me directly; I'd rather not spam the thread.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy poo poo this face

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Rumors, Bargains, and Lies": boy what a wacky episode :v: another one of those "boy I wish Star Trek could make people be this plausibly weird".

And it's not even like its post-2000s levels of gritty realism or anything; it's just, people are being people, acting like people, even when they're ad-lobbing or breaking the fourth wall (Sheridan pounding the table and Ivanova shrieking comes to mind). Sci-fi really needs to be fun sometimes.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Something I was wondering—Garibaldi at one point mentions that Sheridan has had some "physiological changes" since getting back from the apostrophe planet. What changes? What am I missing?

Also, if he has spent the entirety of S4 under mind control that's going to be kind of a letdown, but I don't see what else it could be at this point.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah, okay. I thought it was gonna be one of those things where his eyes were green now instead of blue or whatever and everybody is all like :byodood: its like he's a whole different person but I never would have noticed in a million years.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Okay never mind, that was handled pretty well :buddy:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yes, "Intersections in Real Time". I remember seeing this one back when it aired; hell of a thing to just dip into the series cold with, huh?

Nice directing, nice montages, nice camera work (I also mean this for the scene in a previous episode where Garibaldi traps Sheridan in the bar. And it does "interrogation episode" well, possibly better than the THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS ep of Trek, though it does feel a lot more like a "human" story rather than a "sci-fi" story. Not a bad thing.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

quote:

"And here was Marcus. And I knew he'd never hurt me, and I knew he'd never leave me. And I knew he loved me. I knew it. I just didn't want to admit it. And he gave so much and he wanted so little in return, and he just wanted a kind word, or, or a smile, and all I ever gave him in two years was grief. And I think it's because I saw what I wanted, and I was afraid..."
"But you knew it wasn't gonna work out. You were just protecting yourself from being hurt again, that's all."
"Maybe, but... maybe I should have just tried one more time. I could have done that for him. Now I can't. ...At least I should have boffed him just once."

Whoa whoa whoa WHOA WHOA what the gently caress am I watching :catstare: :printercarry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And they follow it up immediately with Londo and G'Kar dishing about premature ejaculation? Jesus, is this what happens when you keep tying off your main storyline before you're out of episodes?