Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
hell, honestly given the choice, if I'm at lunch I'd rather have a physical newspaper to read than on my phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"Everything's gone to hell, John. God help us all; you're on your own."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angry Salami posted:

He looks better with the beard. :colbert:

I always felt like Boxleitner with a beard would have been perfect to play Ulysses S. Grant

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Neddy Seagoon posted:

BSG's failure wasn't entirely the fault of Ron Moore and co. They got hit hard by the writer's strike and just never recovered.

Yeah, but at the same time I think there's a difference between "we made a few mistakes along the way" and "we just stuck 'And They Have A PLAN' in the title cards for funsies"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Payndz posted:

And in doing so, he unwittingly set up the standard operating practice for producers in the CGI era. Some major producer was once quoted as saying he didn't consider himself to have done his job properly until he'd driven at least one VFX company into bankruptcy on each of his movies.

I can't help but wonder, is it possible for the movie industry to wake up one day and find that there's not enough VFX talent to go around because everyone's been run into the ground? Wouldn't there be a point where nobody starts effects houses because there's no profit to be made, and too many existing houses went under?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Here's a Youtube video of him giving a talk at a convention back in the mid-90s. I think there may be a few spoilers if you've only seen the first season, but not certain as it's been a while since I watched the video all the way through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pR5IuVptRw

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Show still has Londo, and he's still awesome, so I'm still quite optimistic with the show. Prehensile dong and everything, Londo is my fave.

Does the music get any better? That's really the only cringey part to me.

I think the composer gets better at writing music as the show goes on, but it's still a lot of synthesizers, so if that's what you're unhappy about I don't think you'll get much joy there.

That said I think Babylon 5's music is extremely fitting for the show, I love it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

From the poking around I've done with Star Trek, it seems like there was a real decline in music from the original series to Next Generation to DS9. I don't know if that's cheaper cost of musical talent in the 60s, shifted priority to effects, or what, but the original series is musically vibrant and complex with themes and musical effects and weird sounds to evoke the weird future, while TNG was somewhat more simplistic but compensated with full orchestral arrangements.

And then by the time of DS9, it still was trying to use the sort of orchestral arrangements that TNG had going on, but the music felt blander and less ambitious. I think B5's music does a drat sight better than DS9, but I'd have to go back and watch more to make sure.

I sincerely love the music in Star Trek TOS, but it's not a universal appeal and there's a broad swath of people who find it silly and unacceptably over-the-top*. Like other elements of TOS, there was definitely a push to get TNG away from that style and to have it be its own thing, which meant less bombastic and more subdued music.

Unfortunately there were producers like Rick Berman who wanted to go too far in that direction, to the point where he specifically pushed back against leitmotifs and insisted that music should not be too exciting as he felt it would take attention away from what was happening on the screen.

*to which I say, look, if you can't go over the top in space, where in the gently caress can you indulge?

edit: gently caress, beaten

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Could also just take spoiler-chat to one of the other space opera threads, since pretty much any thread about a space opera will inevitably have short derails about other space operas anyway.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

head58 posted:

The one place where the Lurker’s Guide master order is I feel important is Walkabout/War Without End is s3. Walkabout aired after WWE but makes no sense that way.

Isn't that just the production order though? I think the DVDs and Amazon Prime both go by production order rather than air date.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Was The Gathering actually aired on TV prior to Midnight On The Firing Line?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Platonicsolid posted:

Which sort of begs the question why the Vorlons would care about Talia personally. Or would Kosh do it just for giggles?

I would figure he saw Ironheart's gift to her as a potentially valuable weapon against the Shadows.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

oh my god yes :swoon:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

btw I'm getting K on board with B5 watchery. we'll get her soon.

yessssssss

also can you post or send a link to where you got those because i want to share and be able to attribute properly and google is hard failing on "pizdulgir"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angry Salami posted:

Yeah, there's some stuff that hasn't aged well, and it's a shame they never pulled off any good shots that got across the scale of the station's interior. But it was all very impressive back in the mid-90s.

One thing I always appreciated is that there's not much in the way of reused effects shots - compare to, say, DS9, where even when they switched to cgi, there was one shot of a Federation ship being destroyed that ended up showing up in every battle. B5 only really reused the station exterior shots, and even then there was a fair bit of variety - I like that after the Centauri cruiser damages the station in the season two finale, the exterior shots in the season three opening show work crews making repairs.

Ehh, I can think of at least a few shots that got reused... granted most of them would qualify as "station exterior" as they're shots of the station's point defense turrets firing, but there's also at least one or two Starfury shots that got used a few times.

As for the Starfleet ship being popped in 'every' battle, I think that only showed up two or three times (and the last one was in the last battle where they pretty egregiously reused a lot of footage).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grand Fromage posted:

Jerry Doyle ran for Congress as a Republican at one point and had his own semi popular crazy right wing AM talk radio show for years after B5 was over.

Garibaldi's line about having electric bleachers instead of electric chairs is a direct Doyle quote from a lunchtime conversation.

That was such a trip when I was flipping through AM stations in my car and thought "wait... that voice sounds really familiar... holy poo poo!"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

sebmojo posted:

i'm amazed he can even watch b5 with an athlon 2.

Eh, a Pentium II could handle DVD playback, any Athlon chip should be able to handle Babylon 5.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It could also be because Michael Piller left DS9 around that time to go work on Voyager.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Even though I don't think it was ever mentioned on the show, it's seemingly common fan lore that Babylon 4 had engines mounted so that it could move. I figure this comes out of the original plan of B4 later becoming Babylon Prime and being able to roam around (jesus, that'd be a monster starship to be tooling around in that setting!) but did anyone (JMS, art guys, rando internet nerd) ever offer a reason why Earth Alliance would bother mounting engines on a giant space habitat?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
seaQuest DSV of all shows managed to get a Bluray release and I can't imagine the profit projections from that were any better than B5's would be, if that really is the case.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Although, to be fair, there's a couple of things going on with B5 that weren't factors with seaQuest:

- seaQuest's CGI was rendered at a higher resolution - not at what is considered "high resolution" these days, but better than 480 lines - so blowing it up isn't quite as jarring. Also much of the CGI was underwater shots where low light helped to obscure the limitations of the old models and textures.

- seaQuest was never filmed for widescreen and never had a widescreen release. I could see a 4:3 release of B5 being seen by some as a step backward, and I could also see doing the same zoom-and-crop technique as was done for the DVDs as a waste. (Personally, given that WB is almost certainly not going to spend the money to re-do the CGI - even just to throw the assets into Lightwave and set the output resolution to 1080p - I'd take 4:3 as an acceptable compromise.)

But that said I do still suspect there's still a grudge in play.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Just do B5 as an old-school early-90s adventure game. I can't help but feel like there would be excellent symmetry in depicting the show that broke ground by going all-CGI for their visual effects, with a game that only used 2D art.

.....actually, if we wanted to get really 90s, we'd do it all ~*multimedia*~ style and have every death/lose ending capped by an FMV featuring one of the surviving cast. (I'm remembering the old Rama game where dying or losing the game would result in Arthur C. Clarke coming out and talking to you for a bit.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

John Murdoch posted:

If I manage to screw up badly enough, will Boxleitner appear and tell me to get the hell out of his galaxy?

Noooo, no no no no... he'll just put on that big ol' goofy grin, and give you some folksy advice his dad gave him.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol but posted:

they are mostly dead, tho. now, a clutch cargo-esque reimagination with extremely bad impersonations on the other hand

Honestly I kinda prefer the old adventure games that didn't have voice-overs; I can read faster than they speak and the delivery usually isn't so compelling that I like waiting for them to finish before I can keep playing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
No, I don't think Brown sector is the in between spaces. I think it's just unfinished/undeveloped decks, because of aforementioned budget issues. If B5 had been a fully-funded and fully-resourced project I think Brown would have basically been like another Red sector.

I don't think it's meant to be mechanical/engineering spaces either because that's what Gray sector is for.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Angry Salami posted:

Green sector is the diplomatic wing and officer's quarters, blue sector is the command deck, docking bays and most residential sections, red sector is commercial, brown sector is the slums, grey sector is industrial and maintenance.

Man, I've got a lot of useless trivia crammed in my head.

I always figured brown sector wasn't just abandoned due to lack of funding, some of it was also intentionally left open for future expansion - it'd be a major project to expand the station in any way, so it'd be smart to leave some room to grow when you first build it.

I thought blue sector is strictly EarthForce-only, green sector is diplomatic quarters and offices. (It's also entirely possible the series is not 100% consistent on this.)

That does make sense about parts of Brown being open for future expansion.

There is a part of me that wonders how long Down Below persisted after the ISA came into being. On the one hand you'd think the relatively benevolent ISA would at some point be willing to step in and say "alright, the whole notion of having thousands of people stranded on a space station with no way out is kinda hosed, we're flying them off the station so we can get rid of the blighted crime-ridden slum zone causing problems here" (since the whole premise of Down Below is that they're people who flew to B5 to try to make a buck, failed, and now cannot afford passage back to Earth or wherever they came from), on the other hand it would be very in-character for the show to say "yeah well President Sheridan tried to do it and those fuckers at Earthgov and half the alliance pushed back and refused to let them fly back and basically made the Down Below people stateless refugees"... which then creates the interesting problem of where they went when the station was being decommissioned.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think it's a very realistic concept, since that's a real-rear end problem in the real world, it's just like Hawaii's homeless problem. Ideally you would build up some kind of welfare system to help them out of their situation or ship them out somewhere else, but the only way to actually stop the problem entirely would be to shut down immigration and private enterprise on the station altogether, which seems like a nonstarter.

I don't think that's necessarily the case; I think there are mechanisms that could help prevent at least some strandings, like requiring visitors to have purchased some kind of non-transferable voucher you can buy that will get you passage off the station.

quote:

Although viewing them as a security risk that needs to be physically removed from the station and sent somewhere else as opposed to a social problem in need of welfare seems like a perspective that's more politically relevant now than it was in the 90s.

That's a good point and I feel a little skeevy for having framed it in that sense. I guess I don't typically think of Babylon 5 as a "normal" city in space, despite the usual line about a quarter of a million residents; for example, I have a hard time imagining very many people would choose to live out their retirement at B5. There are also hardly any children ever seen unless a story directly calls for one, which also leads me to think it's not really a complete community.

That said the show also seems to consistently portray a lot of lurkers' biggest problem as being that they just literally cannot afford to leave the station, so from that perspective I guess my assumption was that most of them would want to leave if given the chance.

Really though I think it's still a very interesting question whichever way you go: those lurkers had to have gone somewhere by the end of Sleeping In Light.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

e X posted:

Thanks to this thread I am on a rewatch right now and I got a question: Do they ever explain why Station security is not run by Earth Force? At least to me, it always came across like Garibaldi being fundamentally a civilian, with his "rank" being Chief and him not being part of the usual chain of command. He mentioned being a former ground pounder, but it doesn't seem like he is part of the military as the show is taking place, asides from being a commanding officer of Babylon 5. Like Ivanova seem to be responsible for the entire shipping and commerce on the station, which seem to me like much more of an area they might hand to a civilian third party , but something as security sensitive as the internal defense of the station, they handed to some shady guy Sinclair knew

You got the wrong impression because station security is EarthForce and so is Garibaldi.

My guess is that Garibaldi is on the "command staff" by dint of being the most senior enlisted person on the station (and of course, he's in that position because of Sinclair).

Don't get too hung up on different rank structures, insignia, and uniform colors though, because the show's kind of goofy about mixing them up. We meet a handful of majors and generals in both blue and brown (gold?), and there's a couple of verbal references to the existence of admirals in the early seasons but then never again. I think someone (whether JMS or someone else) was trying to imply that EarthForce is a "combined service" but either nobody sat down and wrote it all out or otherwise some people just didn't get the memo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jedit posted:

S4/5: Ivanova is promoted to Admiral by the time of Sleeping in Light.

S4/5: Are you sure? I thought she was referred to as a general.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I just pulled up the episode: "But General, you're an important person."

Edit: Oh hey, also this: spoilers! don't look!

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 28, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Soylent Pudding posted:

It vaguely makes sense if you assume space forces grew out of the (US) air force structure which uses generals instead of the navy structure which uses admirals.

Okay, so how come Sheridan is a captain and not a colonel? :)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CainFortea posted:

Mira Furlan, Bruce Boxleitner, and Claudia Christian would be just fine reprising their roles.

Joe Keery as Marcus Cole obviously. Known for his hair, good with melee weapons.

Mira Furlan, sure, no problem.

Boxleitner and Christian are getting a bit old to be playing space captain and space commander. Ivanova didn't strike me as someone whose career was in a dead-end (or if it was, she had just taken the turnoff from the road), and that goes double for Sheridan.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also a B5 remake would be really interesting just from the perspective that the Sinclair->Sheridan thing would probably not happen, so the story would already be substantially different.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jng2058 posted:

Well, I was a fan of B5 so I made my way over and JMS gave a little talk about the show....then revealed he had a full print of an episode that he was going to premiere for us!

Print... like a film? Or just a video tape?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TK-42-1 posted:

One sci-fi trope that always bugs me is that Earthlings are called humans and every other species is some form of their name for their home planet.

then when someone uses the word "terran" everyone gets all "lol look at this old-timey nerdlinger here"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
At least one other mitigating factor is that the Centauri warship was splitting its fire between the station and the Narn cruiser.

I also can't help but wonder if the Centauri warship was pulling its punches a bit on B5 and hoping Sheridan would back down, either not knowing the station got upgraded or not expecting it to open up.

Also do keep in mind that Sheridan still thinks the Centauri would severely outclass Earth Alliance in a shooting war.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, if you believe what the show tells you.

I mean, sure, if you declare the entire text as suspect you can say whatever you want. :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

nashona posted:

FYI.. JMS just revealed that the script books are being rereleased. US$330 for the set.

Wow, there's some shitheads in the comments who are salty about the perception that their "collector's items" might no longer be as exclusive as they thought they would. That is such a foreign concept to me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Doctor Zero posted:

Re-publishing the original script books themselves would be a slightly lovely thing to do since they swore up one side and down the other they’d never do that,

Why did they do that, anyway? That seems like such a weird promise to make in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
How old is Londo supposed to be?