Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Love this show.

If you are new to it, treat the opening episode of S2 as the pilot. It's in medias res as gently caress but really works. Watch S1 as a filler after S3. Rewatch S2 and S3. Then watch S4. Wait a long while. Then watch S5 and try really hard to love it. Watch the movies in release order given the above scheme. Rewatch the whole thing again.

That's more or less the order I watched it in, though for the real experience you need to catch some 5-10 min clips from S1 and S2 (while you were changing channels during commercials from a slow/rerun episode of another show you were watching and maybe got stuck). This is the ONE TRUE ORDER.

Also, did they ever fix the CGI on the releases we can watch now? If not are there :files: of the non broken stuff like with Bevis and Butthead or are we all just stuck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Grand Fromage posted:

Almost every time something comes up in B5 and you think "this seems important I wonder if it'll come up later" the answer is yes.

Also a lot of the times when something happens and you don't even notice it four seasons later it'll come back and your mind is blown. For all B5's flaws I've never seen another show that connects together so well. I don't think there are any episodes that don't connect with the overall plot in some fashion. Some more than others but all of them do at least a bit.

The arc of Babylon 5 is basically contained in this one scene

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Data Graham posted:

Something tells me I have erred in watching this prematurely. :saddowns:

That is . . . the worst scene in B5. I'm trying to think of a tryhard argument but that is really the low point.

It's actually kinda funny because JMS was a major goon creeper on Claudia. So, him making her do weird sexual stuff and, being a professional actress (who has worked in some adult material) she's 100% willing to do whatever stupid poo poo she's asked. But she isn't going to enjoy it despite how many "extra" instructions the make-up department were given.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Angry Salami posted:

I've always found it a bit odd that on one hand there's this running theme that Humans are Special because We Build Communities unlike the other species, but on the other hand, Earth itself isn't ever portrayed as particularly tolerant or open-minded. I mean, granted, I guess 'semi-authoritarian democracy' still looks good compared to 'caste-based theocracy' or 'imperialists with some genocide', but even at its best, the Earth Alliance is never really the Federation...

It's heavily implied (and in some cases out right stated) that widescale genocide and imperialism is what made the other races more monolithic. The Centauri unified in their genocidal war against the Xorn. The Narns (while more heterogeneous than other races) unified first when the Shadows knocked over their sand castle and then again after Centauri colonization. The Minbari had some nasty wars in their past and were united through Vorlon Imperialism. The non-aligned worlds became a cohesive political block because of the Dilgar.

Humans started to go down that more unifying path after the Minbari War, which is why the new Earthgov is so super hosed up.

But it had also clearly been broken for a while. The Rush Act used to break the strikers was named after Buddy Rush Limbaugh. So clearly humanity has been in an uncomfortable crypto-fascist state for a long, long time.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I loved the idea of technomages because of the whole Arthur C Cuck thing -- but despite them being obviously corrupt (something the books confirmed) they were better underused. Technology as magic only works when it is mysterious and narrative violating. Keeping in mind the whole "B5 is LoTR with the serial numbers filed off", Gandolf as the Holy Spirit broke the seige because of his glory -- the rising sun was an coincidence. Technomages in B5 worked the same way. In Crusade it was more "Mage with a +5 to conjuration stat" which is hella boring.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
JMS has a problem with "Tell, don't show". When his ideas are good enough, they can carry it. When they aren't . . .

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's still hypocrisy though. When you have an overwhelming technical advantage, you don't get to talk about fair fights.

Why isn't there a Minbari History Month?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Minbari pulling a "fine for me but not for thee" is about the most in character move they could possibly make.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
One of the things I laud B5 for is rolling with the punches of making a serialized TV show. So, your lead has some serious mental health issues, so you need a new lead. Roll with the punches and be better. So, two of your supports got divorced and one of them has some serious mental health issues, roll with the punches and hire a cute red head to distract the crazy man. So, you're getting cancelled a season early. Find a way to make it satisfying. So, you've got a superfluous season, call me Francisco Scaramonga because that third nipple was kinda weird at first but really grows on you after a while as a nice coda.

It's good stuff.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
But redraftings forced by conflict as opposed to enabled by extension makes a better product. That's what I love about B5. It thrives in adversity, that is what makes it strong.

quote:

His coveralls were blue and silk and tight and stitched with thread of gold and broidered all about with black braid.

He waved the cape and it was torn from his hands. If he had not thrown himself over backward, he would have been struck.

Auto-da-Fé
by Roger Zelazny

Still do I remember the hot sun upon the sands of the Plaza de Autos, the cries of the soft-drink hawkers, the tiers of humanity stacked across from me on the sunny side of the arena, sunglasses like cavities in their gleaming faces.

Still do I remember the smells and the colors: the reds and the blues and the yellows, the ever present tang of petroleum fumes upon the air.

Still do I remember that day, that day with its sun in the middle of the sky and the sign of Aries, burning in the blooming of the year. I recall the mincing steps of the pumpers, heads thrown back, arms waving, the white dazzles of their teeth framed with smiling lips, cloths like colorful tails protruding from the rear pockets of their coveralls; and the horns—I remember the blare of a thousand horns over the loudspeakers, on and off, off and on, over and over, and again, and then one shimmering, final note, sustained, to break the ear and the heart with its infinite power, its pathos.

Then there was silence.

I see it now as I did on that day so long ago.…

He entered the arena, and the cry that went up shook blue heaven upon its pillars of white marble.

"Viva! El mechador! Viva! El mechador!"

I remember his face, dark and sad and wise.

Long of jaw and nose was he, and his laughter was as the roaring of the wind, and his movements were as the music of the theramin and the drum. His coveralls were blue and silk and tight and stitched with thread of gold and broidered all about with black braid. His jacket was beaded and there were flashing scales upon his breast, his shoulders, his back.

His lips curled into the smile of a man who has known much glory and has hold upon the power that will bring him into more.

He moved, turning in a circle, not shielding his eyes against the sun.

He was above the sun. He was Manolo Stillete Dos Muertos, the mightiest mechador the world has ever seen, black boots upon his feet, pistons in his thighs, fingers with the discretion of micrometers, halo of dark locks about his head and the angel of death in his right arm, there, in the center of the grease-stained circle of truth.

He waved, and a cry went up once more.

"Manolo! Manolo! Dos Muertos! Dos Muertos!"

After two years’ absence from the ring, he had chosen this, the anniversary of his death and retirement to return—for there was gasoline and methyl in his blood and his heart was a burnished pump ringed 'bout with desire and courage. He had died twice within the ring, and twice had the medics restored him. After his second death, he had retired, and some said that it was because he had known fear. This could not be true.

He waved his hand and his name rolled back upon him.

The horns sounded once more: three long blasts.

Then again there was silence, and a pumper wearing red and yellow brought him the cape, removed his jacket.

The tinfoil backing of the cape flashed in the sun as Dos Muertos swirled it.

Then there came the final, beeping notes.

The big door rolled upward and back into the wall.

He draped his cape over his arm and faced the gateway.

The light above was red and from within the darkness there came the sound of an engine.

The light turned yellow, then green, and there was the sound of cautiously engaged gears.

The car moved slowly into the ring, paused, crept forward, paused again.

It was a red Pontiac, its hood stripped away, its engine like a nest of snakes, coiling and engendering behind the circular shimmer of its invisible fan. The wings of its aerial spun round and round, then fixed upon Manolo and his cape.

He had chosen a heavy one for his first, slow on turning, to give him a chance to limber up.

The drums of its brain, which had never before recorded a man, were spinning.

Then the consciousness of its kind swept over it and it moved forward.

Manolo swirled his cape and kicked its fender as it roared past.

The door of the great garage closed.

When it reached the opposite side of the ring the car stopped, parked.

Cries of disgust, booing and hissing arose from the crowd.

Still the Pontiac remained parked.

Two pumpers, bearing buckets, emerged from behind the fence and threw mud upon its windshield.

It roared then and pursued the nearest, banging into the fence. Then it turned suddenly, sighted Dos Muertos and charged.

His veronica transformed him into a statue with a skirt of silver. The enthusiasm of the crowd was mighty.

It turned and charged once more, and I wondered at Manolo’s skill, for it would seem that his buttons had scraped cherry paint from the side panels.

Then it paused, spun its wheels, ran in a circle about the ring.

The crowd roared as it moved past him and recircled.

Then it stopped again, perhaps fifty feet away.

Manolo turned his back upon it and waved to the crowd.

—Again, the cheering and the calling of his name.

He gestured to someone behind the fence.

A pumper emerged and bore to him, upon a velvet cushion, his chrome-plated monkey wrench.

He turned then again to the Pontiac and strode toward it.

It stood there shivering and he knocked off its radiator cap.

A jet of steaming water shot into the air and the crowd bellowed. Then he struck the front of the radiator and banged upon each fender.

He turned his back upon it again and stood there.

When he heard the engagement of the gears he turned once more, and with one clean pass it was by him, but not before he had banged twice upon the trunk with his wrench.

It moved to the other end of the ring and parked.

Manolo raised his hand to the pumper behind the fence.

The man with the cushion emerged and bore to him the long-handled screwdriver and the short cape. He took the monkey wrench away with him, as well as the long cape.

Another silence came over the Plaza del Autos.

The Pontiac, as if sensing all this, turned once more and blew its horn twice. Then it charged.

There were dark spots upon the sand from where its radiator had leaked water. Its exhaust arose like a ghost behind it. It bore down upon him at a terrible speed.

Dos Muertos raised the cape before him and rested the blade of the screwdriver upon his left forearm.

When it seemed he would surely be run down, his hand shot forward, so fast the eye could barely follow it, and he stepped to the side as the engine began to cough.

Still the Pontiac continued on with a deadly momentum, turned sharply without braking, rolled over, slid into the fence, and began to burn. Its engine coughed and died.

The Plaza shook with the cheering. They awarded Dos Muertos both headlights and the tailpipe. He held them high and moved in slow promenade about the perimeter of the ring. The horns sounded. A lady threw him a plastic flower and he sent for a pumper to bear her the tailpipe and ask her to dine with him. The crowd cheered more loudly, for he was known to be a great layer of women, and it was not such an unusual thing in the days of my youth as it is now.

The next was the blue Chevrolet, and he played with it as a child plays with a kitten, tormenting it into striking, then stopping it forever. He received both headlights. The sky had clouded over by then and there was a tentative mumbling of thunder.

The third was a black Jaguar XKE, which calls for the highest skill possible and makes for a very brief moment of truth. There was blood as well as gasoline upon the sand before he dispatched it, for its side mirrors extended further than one would think, and there was a red furrow across his rib cage before he had done with it. But he tore out its ignition system with such grace and artistry that the crowd boiled over into the ring, and the guards were called forth to beat them with clubs and herd them with cattle prods back into their seats.

Surely, after all of this, none could say that Dos Muertos had ever known fear.

A cool breeze arose and I bought a soft drink and waited for the last.

His final car sped forth while the light was still yellow. It was a mustard-colored Ford convertible. As it went past him the first time, it blew its horn and turned on its windshield wipers. Everyone cheered, for they could see it had spirit.

Then it came to a dead halt, shifted into reverse, and backed toward him at about forty miles an hour.

He got out of the way, sacrificing grace to expediency, and it braked sharply, shifted into low gear, and sped forward again.

He waved the cape and it was torn from his hands. If he had not thrown himself over backward, he would have been struck.

Then someone cried: "It’s out of alignment!"

But he got to his feet, recovered his cape and faced it once more.

They still tell of those five passes that followed. Never has there been such a flirting with bumper and grill! Never in all of the Earth has there been such an encounter between mechador and machine! The convertible roared like ten centuries of streamlined death, and the spirit of St. Detroit sat in its driver’s seat, grinning, while Dos Muertos faced it with his tinfoil cape, cowed it and called for his wrench. It nursed its overheated engine and rolled its windows up and down, up and down, clearing its muffler the while with lavatory noises and much black smoke.

By then it was raining, softly, gently, and the thunder still came about us. I finished my soft drink.

Dos Muertos had never used his monkey wrench on the engine before, only upon the body. But this time he threw it. Some experts say he was aiming at the distributor; others say he was trying to break its fuel pump.

The crowd booed him.

Something gooey was dripping from the Ford onto the sand. The red streak brightened on Manolo’s stomach. The rain came down.

He did not look at the crowd. He did not take his eyes from the car. He held out his right hand, palm upward, and waited.

A panting pumper placed the screwdriver in his hand and ran back toward the fence.

Manolo moved to the side and waited.

It leaped at him and he struck.

There was more booing.

He had missed the kill.

No one left, though. The Ford swept around him in a tight circle, smoke now emerging from its engine. Manolo rubbed his arm and picked up the screwdriver and cape he had dropped. There was more booing as he did so.

By the time the car was upon him, flames were leaping forth from its engine.

Now some say that he struck and missed again, going off balance. Others say that he began to strike, grew afraid and drew back. Still others say that, perhaps for an instant, he knew a fatal pity for his spirited adversary, and that this had stayed his hand. I say that the smoke was too thick for any of them to say for certain what had happened.

But it swerved and he fell forward, and he was borne upon that engine, blazing like a god’s catafalque, to meet with his third death as they crashed into the fence together and went up into flames.

There was much dispute over the final corrida, but what remained of the tailpipe and both headlights were buried with what remained of him, beneath the sands of the Plaza, and there was much weeping among women he had known. I say that he could not have been afraid or known pity, for his strength was as a river of rockets, his thighs were pistons and the fingers of his hands had the discretion of micrometers; his hair was a black halo and the angel of death rode on his right arm. Such a man, a man who has known truth, is mightier than any machine. Such a man is above anything but the holding of power and the wearing of glory.

Now he is dead though, this one, for the third and final time. He is as dead as all the dead who have ever died before the bumper, under the grill, beneath the wheels. It is well that he cannot rise again, for I say that his final car was his apotheosis, and anything else would be anticlimactic. Once I saw a blade of grass growing up between the metal sheets of the world in a place where they had become loose, and I destroyed it because I felt it must be lonesome. Often have I regretted doing this, for I took away the glory of its aloneness. Thus does life the machine, I feel, consider man, sternly, then with regret, and the heavens do weep upon him through eyes that grief has opened in the sky.

All the way home I thought of this thing, and the hoofs of my mount clicked upon the floor of the city as I rode through the rain toward evening, that spring.

The End

© 1967 by Roger Zelazny. Originally published in Dangerous Visions.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

e X posted:

I mean, the Religious Caste apparently had the means to build an entire fleet of warships and the ability to command them, so the whole fighting/praying/building thing couldn't have been that strict.

I always viewed it as a leftover from the Unification. You've got two superpowers fighting and a mismash of everybody else. After Unification, the Warrior Caste got to keep their societal and religious structure in tact as did the Religious Caste, though the Warrior caste needed to pay lip service to the Religious Caste's creed while the Religious Caste needs to keep its military weaker than the Warrior Caste. This suggests that the Warrior Caste won but similar to the American South, the losing Religious Caste was able to frame itself as the "real" Minbari and gain a lot of soft power influence that way. People descended from the "third world" in this case, exist to serve the two (now at least theoretically) unified superpowers. Nobody cares what they believe because cultural and actual imperialism keeps them in check.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

gourdcaptain posted:

It always struck me as a bit awkward the main human character could only fall in love with an alien who was altered to be half human. Sends a bit of a weird message.

B5 tried really hard.

They did not get a lot right, but they tried.

They were calling out fascism before it was cool and trying to blend "good TV" with "Soap Opera" in a pioneering way.

Premature anti-fascist is a thing.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

I get that but that also seems . . . normal to me? I know plenty of people who are like "Oops, I only happen to date this particular race" which is somewhere between "mildly skeevy" and "legitimate preference" depending on how they present it. But when they "enrich their chances" by, for example, moving to a country/area where that is the dominant flavor* it gets real weird real fast . . . but so what? My first real impression of the woman who is now my wife was "I bet this chick would let me gently caress her in the rest room of this bar." Ignoble beginnings can lead to great things.

So, she's got human-fever. So what?

*In my experience this doesn't work proactively. For example, my buddy who loved loving asian women had a blast when he moved to Beijing. Two other friends of mine went to Japan because they wanted to find their perfect lover and instead found a deeper level of loneliness than they had in the States. In my mind these are extreme examples but there are plenty of other ones to fill in the trend line.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Timby posted:

If you want to give yourself cirrhosis of the liver, do a re-watch of the series starting with season 2 and take a drink every time Sheridan says, "nonononono." You'll be needing a liver transplant by War Without End.

I thought of nonono-nono as more of a catch-phrase/call-back. It wasn't necessarily "good" but I can still hear it in my mind damned near two decades after the show ended. It's not quite a "How you doin'" or "All right all right all right" but it's a perfectly passable quirk.

For example, I use "X is a series of tubes" all the time. I spend a lot of time talking about microfluidics, so it's not entirely off target and it usually gets a polite chuckle. It'd be a dated joke anywhere else but in Silicon Valley, "The Internet is a series of tubes" will pretty much never not be funny. Like, so much so that in the future Comp Sci majors who know a lot about their field but not a lot about the history of computer science will assume that the pictures of old school vacuum tube computers also incorporated the early internet. Why? Because every old hand still jokes that it's "just a series of tubes".

Anyway, long story long, it's a bad joke I use when I need to redirect the conversation. But my manager now cracks up whenever I use that joke, not even because it is almost sort of funny but because it has become anti-humor. All of my clients are different, so I obviously customize my presentation to my clients. At the same time, all my clients are very similar so I end up having a lot of similar conversations. A lazy grab-bag (especially if you talk to a lot of different people regularly as opposed to talking to the same people regularly -- the latter gets Markov-y real quick) is a great thing to have.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
For Verizon customers, Go90 is streaming B5. Happy watching.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I liked the memoirs of that kid from SeaQuest who committed suicide. He lost his virginity to one of those dolphins and talks about it at length and girth.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
War of the Worlds had two seasons. One was really bad but the other was an awesome grimdark future where 90% of the episodes ended with someone accidentally eating their child. I'm afraid to rewatch it but I remember thinking it was amazing when I was younger.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dark Distorted Mirror basically addressed this in the best way possible.

Now that I'm older I can see the sources it's stealing from but in middle school it was loving amazing. I reread it a decade ago and it was still very satisfying, despite recognizing the parts that are derivative.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Timby posted:

What the gently caress

Jonathan Taylor Thomas says, "Welcome to Tool Time -- An Unauthorized Biography"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Si

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If I could draw in 3D, it's just three curved lines.

Personally, I think JMS had one good story in him. And it was a loving great one.

After that . . . ehhhh.

It's trying to be iconic without actually doing anything. The inkwell is dry.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I'm not sure I'd equate B5 with the Legendarium. Unless :thejoke: and you only like LoTRs for some strange reason.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Are JMS's comics any good? His post b5 work in tv has been very mixed. Sense8 was fun but felt very much like a wachowski vehicle, and the less said about legends of the rangers, etc the better. Did he just have one story in him?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
What happened in them that was interesting?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
People mention Foundation influences. B5 is mostly LoTR and LoTR is awesome. But Asimov is interwoven in the show's DNA and blowing up Earth as a sign of galactic transcendence is very Asimov.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Worth noting that's how it ended in Asimov.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

CainFortea posted:

Foundation and Earth shows the "end" of earth being the surface is irradiated beyond repair by the spacer device used 25,000 years previously.

The Eternals ended up "destroying" earth by making everything too safe, and humanity dying out.

The Gods Themselves has the sun problem being fixed by trading energy with a 3rd universe.

Which series has the sun actually exploding?

Someone destroyed the earth but we dont know who or why. It was robots!

Someone destroyed the sun, we dont know who and we dont know why -- new JMS mystery. I think it was the Hand.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
We do.

But (especially in Foundation) the characters dont. Our perspective in B5 is much more limited than in Asimov.

It ties into JMSs ecumenical view. As long as there is a homeworld we can't truly be part of a galactic society. The greatest prophets of the show have their homeworld destroyed. Why should humanity experience anything less as a sign of enlightenment.

Maybe they should have had Garibaldi kick a cat in S2E1 and Sheridan rescue a dog! Now that's hollywood!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

CainFortea posted:

Uh, yea. In the Foundation series we know exactly what caused the earth to become irradiated. It was spacers. Specifically from Solaria. Stopping them is what caused Giskard to stop functioning because he tried to rely on the 0th law, but wasn't advanced enough. And he passed on his emotional control to R. Daneel Olivaw to carry on his work of protecting humanity as a whole.

Can you read?

Harry didn't know that. Mule didn't
Nor did any of the other characters.

Hell, the audience didn't until like 20 years later.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

CainFortea posted:

Okay, so I guess the characters in the foundation series that knew don't count because you can't be wrong on the internet. Okay. Fuckoff.

God you are dumb.

What part of "we (the audience) do (know) but the characters (in the narrative we are discussing) dont (know). Our (the audience) perspective is more limited in b5 than in Asimov." Was hard for you to understand?

Are you one of those gifted kids who did well in elementary school and failed put of college?

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SlothfulCobra posted:

Okay, this I don't get. There's only 2-3 races that lose their homeworld in B5, and none of them seem particularly prophetic.

And I've never seen the word ecumenical aside from councils and patriarchs.

G'Kar and Mollari. The heart and soul of the show, one of whom is hailed as a prophet and the other can see the future.

As for the word choice I'm open to suggestions. Humanism? Universalism? Catholic? "Promoting or relating to unity" seemed the best choice despite its ecclesiastical baggage.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

CainFortea posted:

Professional goal post mover here I guess. Just because you forgot or never knew how those stories ended is no reason to get snippy.

You are really committed to making yourself look like you can't read.

It's a unique gimmick for a mostly text based forum but I appreciate the moxy.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Nov 7, 2019

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
That seems weird to me. Did the original Key version have B4 come back to the present? I figured Sinclair as Valen was the original end, so Babylon^2. Did Valen only live 20 years in the past? Seems unlikely since he clearly crushed rear end to dust and had a ton of kids

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 8, 2019

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SlothfulCobra posted:

Now you're losing me further, because I'm pretty sure Narn and Centauri Prime don't blow up during the course of the show.

They are destroyed. In an unclean way but it fuels transcendence. Clean destruction to couple with clean transcendence is a nice coda.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TraderStav posted:

Please fix your spoilers! Aww man

Sorry! I dont think I actually spoiled much other than mentioning other episodes that happened for you. But still my bad.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

TraderStav posted:

Oh thank God, I thought B4 came back AGAIN. I could have seen a plot where that happened. No harm no foul, a broken spoiler bracket sent me into a panic and thought it was tied into the series finale.

One thought I had was the future humans go back in time and become the Vorlons and Kosh is actually a human. We shall see though! about to fire up S05E02.

It's an interesting counterfactual: how would the show look if Sinclair had stayed on since he is valen. We know him being valen is set from the beginning

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I really like the image of younger vim and vinegar vorlons responding to Sinclair/Valen going "Understanding is a three edged sword"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jedit posted:

No, it isn't. Originally Sinclair was exactly what the Minbari thought he was: a vessel for Valen's soul. Or, if you prefer, he was a psychological twin to Valen to a degree that the Triluminaries couldn't tell the difference. I actually prefer that explanation myself. It's a much better explanation for why humans other than Sinclair have whole or part Minbari souls, why the Minbari just happened to find their greatest leader's soul on the first pick, and why it appears to be the best souls of the Minbari that are no longer being reborn. Minbari souls aren't actually being reborn in humans; the Minbari are just in decline and no longer have people of such stature, and they discover that humans are no different to how Minbari used to be. The people with partial Minbari souls are like Minbari in some ways but not in others.

When B^2 was aired at a con it was described as the original ending. Not sure if that was showmanship but if it wasn't, well. Also since souls are real in B5 it's not like you need a scientific explanation. I agree the DNA makes sense (that's why I mentioned valen crushed rear end) but it doesn't need to be DNA. The soul testing device could just test for souls, which are real.

Shbobdb fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Nov 8, 2019

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I like in the beginning more than most but think of it as B5:muppet babies. Only it is a movie based on everyone knowing each other earlier than they did in a franchise as opposed to a franchise where everyone knows each other earlier than in a movie.

Since they move in powerful circles it isn't totally unreasonable but some of the specifics suffer from prequel poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
All of B5 feels like a PBS docudrama and should be understood in that light. "Brought to you by the New Babylon Project (a trust of the Edgars corporation), the Anlashok and viewers like you."