Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I bet aliens have serious face blindness with each other.

Londo: "Commander Sheridan, as I told you the other day..."

Sheridan: "We haven't spoken in weeks."

Ivanova: "You told me that, I am working on it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Clark gets the Richard III treatment.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

SlothfulCobra posted:

Largely the show is fairly neutral about most of the current politics of the time outside of the most broad strokes like fascism bad, conquest bad, mass incarceration and de facto slavery probably bad. Those are things that a work of propaganda could fabricate or embellish while downplaying the other side.

I'd say it's more political than you give it credit for. "Rush act" and being pro-labor is a radical stance now, let alone in the '90s. Extrapolating from conservative movements in the '90s to call things that the Bush administration did in the aftermath of 9/11 takes a clear political vision. The existence of a downtrodden and exploited underclass, Telepaths as a metaphor for homosexuality, there is a lot going on.

They just don't beat you over the head with it. Which is funny because "subtle" isn't something I'd normally use to describe B5.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
One of the many koans of B5 is that Markus is very bad but Markus is also JMS's Mary sue.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Dirty posted:

Yeah, and that's fair enough. It just feels like some of the story is missing. Like, if for the entire life of the contract, $5000 was the only cost associated with widescreen, then it seems like a strange sticking point after they must have already bought their own 4:3 reference screens, workstations, servers. Surely there must have been other ongoing costs for widescreen as well that made it prohibitive, like higher resolution and extra editing time spent cropping every rendered shot for 4:3? I don't know, I know a lot about rendering but very little about TV production, so I could be way off the mark.

The way getting hosed over in these situations happens is you start with "Well it's a small cost and I'll cover it for the sake of expedience" and it never stops. Basic professionalism involves nipping that in the bud asap.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Does anybody have the sweet Incel'shok picture handy? I need to save that one.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
G'karishly: It's happening again!

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Small White Dragon posted:

So I saw some discussion of Sense8 earlier in the thread, is that worth watching for B5 fans? I had gotten the impression JMS's other works weren't anywhere near as good.

JMS's love of worldbuilding is there but it's very much a later-day Wachowski vehicle. I really enjoyed it but it is way closer to an R-rated "Prestige Television" version of Speed Racer than B5. If you liked Speed Racer but wanted the racetracks to just be men embraced in a passionate embrace and don't mind women having near equal time it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
How quickly people forget "Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future."