Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
I mean, I wouldn't call it my favorite, but I remember thoroughly enjoying that episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
The Rangers are totally inspired by things like the Texas Rangers, totally, not any other sort of grand story about a mystic clash between light and dark in which the actions of normal people serve to end the era of ancient godlike beings dominating the course of history.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why would you willingly watch The Gathering more than once? Can you not tell that the stove is hot by the burns on your fingers from last time? :psyduck:

I forget how many times I've watched it. Three, maybe? Maybe four. Possibly five, now that I actually think about it. Spread over maybe twelve years, mind.

I think it's fine, and interesting to look at and think about what the initial plans were, what they were trying to accomplish, etc. To me, it's part of the show, the beginning of a story that has a rough start. I make a habit of not skipping entries in a series, and starting at the start, so it always seems like the appropriate place to begin if I'm watching the show for myself. It's not what I'd recommend for making a first impression, introducing the show to someone.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

"Look, I'm not going back to the PsiCorps. There are far worse ways to make rent than being a dabo girl!"

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Narzack posted:

I know it seems pretty well ignored, but I want to watch it, anyway. When is the best time to watch the Gathering? Should I wait to the end, watch it now, or does it not matter? Doesnt it take place before the first episode?

Best time is after you've decided to give the show a fair shot, whether because friend or family has recommended it to you, or because you've seen a few episodes and liked what you've seen. Takes place a year or so before the first episode, and (unlike ... what was it called, thread, In The Beginning?) was actually meant to be watched before the first episode. Aired like a year before the first episode, too.

A lot of people will say (are saying) it's bad, etc., which I don't really agree with, but there's a different caveat I'll give (which is most important if you're actually watching it before season 1): The Gathering is a murder mystery. That's not really the sort of story Babylon 5 normally tells.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Airspace posted:

I watched In The Beginning before I even knew what B5 was! :shepface:

Thankfully some time passed between watching that and actually watching B5 that I forgot all of the major spoilers except one, though they spoil that one again super early on in actual B5.

I've been trying to remember what all was in the original set of Babylon 5 stuff I watched. It was, I think, a set of official VHS tapes, for ... Season One, maybe part of Season Two but maybe not, In The Beginning, and I honestly don't remember if The Gathering was part of it or not.

I think I remember being confused at In The Beginning, maybe because I watched it just after Season One and had no idea who Sheridan was.

Jedit posted:

I'm wondering if we shouldn't do a coordinated rewatch, but there's too much danger of spoilers I guess.
A coordinated rewatch sounds cool, but I feel like most of the discussion would be about what this or that detail is foreshadowing. A thread made entirely of spoilers.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

jesus that was a weird loving scene

jms posted:

Any special procedures for the scene between Lyta and Byron?
I talked to both actors involved, made sure they were okay with it, and then scripted it out in very detailed form, and shot with a closed set, just necessary crew, nobody else.

(Funny item: in the script, I'm right in the middle of describing the sex scene, and in the narrative description, I write, without even thinking about it, "I wonder which is more embarrassing, reading this or writing it?" It goes out that way.)

Apparently, watching it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Pick posted:

Silly narsham, don't you know that good acting is glumly looking away from camera and mumbling?

So, what Patricia Tallman was doing during the elevator scene?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Tonight I watched the episode where Vir shanked a bitch, Lando becomes prime minister, and Narn is free.

Could someone adept with image editing give Billy Dee Williams a giant hair-crest? TIA.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

One of my favorite bits about Lochley is that Tracy Scoggins is a huge SciFi fan, was a regular Babylon 5 watcher, and of course Ivanova was her favorite character. Season Five starts, and she watches the first few episodes, and has the same gut reaction everyone does, with a twist:

"Who's this new bitch? Oh wait. That's me. ... I have to like her."

(I think my actual favorite Lochley scenes are her cameos in Crusade.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Jedit posted:

As for Bester,

Complete tangent off of those words, but: Has anybody read any of Alfred Bester's work? I first heard of him because of Babylon 5; I'm a fan of that era of SciFi writing and have been meaning to read The Demolished Man since I learned of it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Thank you all for the comments, I'll keep them in mind when I next pick what book to read.

Doctor Zero posted:

Depends on your tolerance of fairly dated sci-fi. Since you like B5 I assume it's a high tolerance. :haw:
I'm unsure if there's a Robert Heinlein story I haven't read. My tolerance for dated sci-fi is extremely high.

edit: VVV I've heard good things about her!

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 20, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

S1E14, TKO - Alien boxing match, meh. More interested in Ivanova’s character development. The show is taking great pains to demonstrate how religious all the characters are. I’m starting to think Parliament of Dreams might have been more significant than I originally took it for.

This is one of my favorite episodes just for how wildly divergent the A and B plots are in tone, character significance, and how much I like them. I once had this exchange with a friend, when I was rewatching the series:

"Do you remember the episode when Ivanova's hometown rabbi shows up because he's concerned she's not grieving for her father properly?"
"Yeah, I thought it was a really well-done and touching story, and a really good depiction of Jewish culture."
"Do you remember the episode when Sugar Ray Robinson shows up, and he's Garibaldi's old friend, and the plot is about him getting to be the first human allowed into Alien Kickboxing?"
"Yeah. That was kind of dumb."
"That was the same episode."
"What." :aaaaa:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Also, short hair + skullcaps. I'd be intrigued how many actresses actually shaved their heads for Centauri roles (or already had shaved heads). I know that Virginia Hey did it for her two years on Farscape, and that it was kind of a hardship.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

Not sure how I feel about Londo’s tentacle.
:can:

edit: :krakken:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Rectal Death Adept posted:

You guys seem to be doing spoilers for some reason

There's two or three people watching for the first time and sharing their thoughts with the thread. We're all hovering over them, whispering to each other behind our hands.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

That new fighter pilot guy was a "suggestion" from higher-up that JMS was given.

What happens to him is one my favorite little details, knowing that the character was forced on the writer.

They never gave him another such suggestion. :allears:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

That mantis puppet black market guy is getting kind of repetitive, though.

I feel like that might be his last appearance, so you're in the clear there.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Hazborgufen posted:

I thought the pilot episode was fine. Not great but not horrible. Infection was hard to watch and that episode or Soul Hunter is where I'd usually give up. I used to really dislike mythical or religious elements in sci-fi which is what bothered me about Soul Hunter, but I've gotten over it for the most part.

Question: By "pilot episode" do you mean Midnight on the Firing Line, the first episode of the first season, or The Gathering, the two-hour long pilot movie where all the alien characters' prosthetic foreheads are slightly different?

The dispute among fans (which has been had in this thread before) is whether one should skip The Gathering, because it's slow and clunky, or not (because skipping The Gathering would be insane).

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Was The Gathering actually aired on TV prior to Midnight On The Firing Line?

I believe so, just ... a year before the start of season 1.

Lurker's Guide gives Feb 22, 1993 for The Gathering's air date, Jan 26, 1994 for Midnight on the Firing Line.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can absolutely skip The Gathering and start with Midnight on the Firing Line. There's maybe five minutes of content relevant to the series, and it all gets accounted for in season 1.

We've had this conversation before! It's all there, in the earlier pages of this thread.

Besides, those five minutes are spread throughout The Gathering and my video editing skills are not sufficient to make some kind of cut-together "this is stuff that shows up later" recap vid.

I'd be more likely to make a video of all the Significant Things that're never referenced again.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

S2E12, Acts of Sacrifice - This episode hit hard. It made me mad.

I believe JMS said something to the effect that he wanted episodes to provoke discussions or, if possible, fistfights.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Hazborgufen posted:

As an aside, what's the deal with everyone being left handed? Sheridan and Garibaldi both are and I just noticed G'Kar is too at the beginning of Messages From Earth. Just seems like a weird coincidence.

:psyduck: I never noticed that, across ... four? full watch-throughs of the series.

Could be pure coincidence of the actors' actual dominant hands. It'd be strange to have it as a character trait choice by JMS.

As for DS9 drawing on B5, or the reverse, I note that sometimes shows have similar themes just because they're echoing the same real-world issues, or are drawing on the same antecedents in the genre. (An example of the first kind: my favorite description of the Bajorans is that when DS9 was written, the mujahideen were the good guys.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Jedit posted:

I don't remember that. It's Ivanova who has the coffee plant.

It was transposed onto Ivanova after Takashima was replaced. They give, I think, basically identical explanations. (Like, word-for-word, "JMS just copied that part of the script" identical.)

What I'm trying to recall is what the original plan was for Ivanova. I think I remember something about her being a junior (Cowin-ish?) officer who developed a relationship with Takashima, which would have the same betrayal aspects as what happened with Talia.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'd have to dig up my copy of Babylon Confidential, but I think the only misunderstanding in him sending her a car with flowers for their friendly dinner was that he didn't understand how inappropriate it was to hit on an actress working in your show. :shrug:

What's the timing on that happening, because that's, you know. That's a scene Ivanova has, with Corwin, later, with some details swapped around.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

It looks like what I remember from the DVDs, but I wouldn't be surprised if my memory is ignoring fuzz/blur/general-low-res-woes and focusing instead on composition, lighting, etc.—the stuff that wouldn't be affected.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Baron von der Loon posted:

From what I remember reading, season 5 wasn't expected, and season 4 was written as the final season. That they got a fifth was a fluke. And then there was some other stuff about story notes getting lost at some point, and having to rewrite it all over again or something like that.
Every season, it wasn't certain that they'd get renewed. During Season 4, it wasn't certain if their network would survive, and it was possible to come up with an ending. It's not that season 4 was meant to be the end, just that it could end there, so about four episodes' worth of plot were compressed in. (As in, Season 4, Episode 18 was planned as the season finale. Frankly I think the biggest problem with Season 5 is that it doesn't have that planned strong opening as part of its pacing.)

Baron von der Loon posted:

Me, I really appreciate season 5 as an epilogue. The war is over, Earth has been freed, a new Alliance is created.

What next?

The Scouring of the Shire.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Marmaduke! posted:

Anyone thinking Vir would feel bad for getting his wish, should just remember, his wife is a war criminal and the main reaction to that is a shrug and "marriage can be tough lol"

I kept thinking, when reading those posts, "Vir is a Centauri nobleman, guys." If he ended up in a duel, his response would be less "A duel?! Are you CRAZY?!" but more "I mean I know dueling is a a thing but I never expected I would end up in one!" (Note: It's been a while and I forget his exact reaction to Londo's duel.)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

wizzardstaff posted:

I am at the point in season 4 where the Internet says I should watch Thirdspace. So I watched Thirdspace. It felt like a 90-minute rehash of Infection. Are the other movies better?

Don't listen to the internet. Look up original release dates and watch movies when they came out. That said, Thirdspace seemed mostly pointless (not bad just kind of not aimed at anything) and this is a very good summary of the others:

Jedit posted:

In The Beginning is backstory filling. There's some interesting stuff in there, and Reiner Schone, one of the less remembered victims of the B5 Curse. River of Souls has the holobrothel and Martin Sheen in one of his last roles before The West Wing made him famous again. A Call to Arms is the pilot for Crusade.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except most of those movies are set mid-series, so if you have the choice why wouldn't you watch them at their intended points in the series chronology? :shrug:

Childhood experience with the Chronicles of Narnia (and adulthood experience seeing publishers put the wrong numbers on books) giving me an abnormally strong preference for release-order chronology. To the actual point, it's that I enjoy looking at long series as artifacts, where you can also consider the circumstances that led to the book, movie, whathaveyou, getting made. Thirdspace being made, released, and initially viewed about a season after it was set is, to me, one aspect of the story. Thinking about it more, I'd probably watch it after finishing season 5, as something to watch when you want a bit more Bab5 content and have heard that they did some TV movies. Anything else disrupts the narrative flow.

Thread knowledge check: Was Thirdspace the third time John Sheridan solved his problems with a nuclear bomb? I think it was, but hadn't made the connection before.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I'm just going to concur strongly with "You ain't seen nothin' yet."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Check your local library? Mine has the DVDs for season 1-5, though it seems to be missing the movies.

Other than that, :filez:?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Lots of people don’t actually mind, which is a great detail I’m glad the show got right. Like the political officer lady, who seems kind of dumb but is totally fine doing whatever and assumes everyone else is just like her.

She never seemed particularly dumb, just kind of confused/exasperated that Sheridan wasn't on board.

"When did all of this happen?"
"When we re-wrote the dictionary."

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Kashia posted:

There are innumerable flaws with B5, many of which surely result in people dropping the show before getting through more than a couple episodes. Ham-fisted writing, scenery-chewing actors, often-clumsy effects, and so on; while I’m continuing not to read this thread while I watch I’m sure nobody here disagrees.

We might disagree whether ham-fisted scenery-chewing is a flaw at all. :colbert:

(Glad to hear you're enjoying the show!)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Ψ for psychic.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

If you mean the description of the episode Koenig was originally cast for, he's talking about Eyes, season 1, episode 16. I had no idea that role was written for him. (Also, there's a Bill Mumy interview about Babylon 5 as well! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVG_1_OriPM )

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

:doh:
I should have known 'internal affairs investigation' and 'Sinclair is kidnapped and mindprobed' were two different stories, but honestly, look at EarthForce. Can you blame me?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

The exact nature of her trapdoor out of the plot would have to have been adjusted, true.

Alternately: What, you believed Bester? (About anything?)

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

ConfusedUs posted:

I feel like a bunch of Londo's deliberate atrocities would have become Vir's unintended consequeces

Look, could you just, I don't know, deal with the Narn problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Woah there's a B5 thread! And it's 85 pages!

Welcome! Let's see if we can get more Stellaris players in here to talk War in Heaven strats.