Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just finished Sleeping In Light, so I'm saying goodbye to the Blind Watch thread and migrating here.

I know that there's only so much exposition you can cram into a finale but I really wish we could have gotten a better sense of Centauri Prime and David Sheridan's fates.

Also Lyta erasure in the toast scene. She wasn't even mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

CainFortea posted:

Your writups have been great and if you look back through this thread you can see many people have discussed your viewpoints.

In fact...

Wow, thanks. You're right: I was OK until the scene with Sheridan passing on....then I got choked up. I can't even watch Medusa Cascade's review because she's going to be a mess.

Iymarra posted:

Welcome amongst the Old Ones, those who have gone before.

For many of us, the music in the finale (and preceding episode) will bring on waterworks. Please look forward to it. One thing to point out is the last few seconds - the show is framed (and this is debated) as an in-universe documentary piece. I don't want to take away any of the glow of the finale/series, but it's something to consider - was this an IA propaganda piece or a genuine retrospective?
I believe the finale implication of Zak/Vir is tying the Centauri into the IA, if I recall JMS mentioning - but this is never elaborated on in show media, only books.

I have passed Beyond the Rim.

Good to hear about the Centauri rejoining the Alliance. I had hoped that the death of Londo meant the death of the Drakh's plans for the Centauri, but that wasn't spelled out in the finale.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That's what I figured with G'kar. Although I'm not sure it's explicitly said, I like to think that G'kar figured out what happened to Londo and went back to Centauri Prime to give his friend a merciful death. No doubt that by them Londo had done his penance and earned a measure of mercy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Speaking of behind-the-scenes negotiation: depending on who you ask, there are differing accounts for why Ivanova wasn't in season 5. Whatever the reason, I liked Lochley OK, but the series was weaker without Ivanova/ Claudia Christian.

Same with Andrea Thompson. I kept expecting Talia to show up as a Psi cop and she never did. Pity (I like Tallmann, though).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Overthinking it alert: As much as I liked Sleeping in Light, I'm a bit confused how it fits with the events of War Without End. So in WWE, Sheridan jumps forward by about twenty years and finds himself inside Londo's palace. Somehow, both G'kar (sans Lyta, whom I guess finally found her telepath planet) and Delenn are also there; the latter seems like she's being held captive by the Centauri government.

Delenn doesn't seem terribly surprised to find John there, so did she sense that Londo's end was near and felt the need to go to Centauri Prime? Where was the contemporary Sheridan (trying to phrase this in as least a confusing way as possible) at this time? Watching it the first time, I was left with the impression that Delenn hadn't seen Sheridan in quite a while but that doesn't jive with what we say in SiL.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Chevy Slyme posted:

The flash forward in War Without End would have happened 2-3 years prior to sleeping in light.

We know that Sheridan has 20 years starting from the start of season 4. We also know that David is born a few months after Objects at Rest, which is ~2 years after that. Finally, we know from Londo’s appearance in Objects that the Keeper is to be given to David when he turns 16, which would put those events about 2 years before SiL.

The incident in the palace, it’s heavily implied, is the culmination of that whole fiasco - an attempt to rescue their son, which apparently succeeded, at the cost of Sheridan and Delenn being imprisoned. And then, the scenes we see.

Ah, gotcha. That makes sense. it's such a well written show I knew there had to be details I was missing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YULytWUaKR0&t=14s

Substitute 'Russians' with 'Minbari'.

I hadn't even noticed Biggs' mannerisms when he was waiting for other actors to finish. When I rewatch I'll have to look out for that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Hey, related to recent discussion. I think this is the first time I've seen JMS explain part of Lady Morella's prophecy.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1685108066759643136

I sorta get where he's coming from in the sense that Morden being executed led directly to the Drakh occupying Centauri Prime, but...leaving Lady Morella's prophecies up to the interpretation of the viewer is much more interesting.

e: I'm reading this thread from the beginning and someone posted the 'space battle' scene from Legend of the Rangers. :laffo:. I'd love to see a Rifftrax treatment of that.

I'll also admit that I largely missed the fact that JMS was telegraphing Vorlons to be sinister, though new-Kosh's encounter suit having horns was as subtle as a brick through a window. Even I picked up on that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 29, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The voices (for the original actors who have died) seem pretty on-point.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Season 5 was great. The worst you can probably say about it is that it's not as consistently strong as many of the previous seasons, but I'm very satisfied with the fact that Sheridan's/the Interstellar Alliance's victory was Pyrrhic.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I also think that having each main character leave the station, one after the other, was a great move. It gave you a sense of loss (at least it did me).

I'd still love to see the adventures of G'kar and Lyta (I need to find those books that detail their travels).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

It makes a whole lot of sense to me. At the heart of all the Shadows' evil is a banal little man, not really different than someone who might be the CEO of a defense contractor in the US, who is pulling the strings. I've always enjoyed how the scene comes across like a weird business proposal - because it is!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

One piece I don't like about the whole Za'ha'dum sequence is that Sheridan sneaking in the backup PPG makes the shadows look bumbling and incompetent rather than Sheridan looking clever. I think the backup personal weapon bit to escape to the shaft would have worked better if he had acquired some sort of hard-to-detect gun in an earlier episode (maybe something a person snuck onto the station, or maybe Delenn/Kosh offered it) or if he brought something low-tech that wouldn't show up on an energy scan (like a modern firearm). The Shadows planning to betray him but not bothering with the basic scan B5 does on everyone who comes into the station makes them look bumbling and incompetent, I think spending a minute to have Sheridan use something other than a gun he wouldn't be able to sneak into the lower-tech, less-paranoid human station would have been better.

On the other hand, a combination of having the leader of the "Light" in their lair and whatever is left of Anna Sheridan may have made the Shadows overconfident.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 15, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't remember that specific guy, but B5 was chock full of what I like to call '1994 JC Penney catalog' fashion; especially the first half of the series. I thought it was nostalgic in a weird sort of way.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Good rarely comes from rebooting a franchise. I hope B5 doesn't get its reboot because you really can't recreate that '90s futuristic' vibe.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

a reboot would completely lose the element of surprise (there's no chance for 'this Kosh guy... actually doesn't seem like a good guy' realization or 'why did Delenn's head glow around that "What do you want?" dork'). It would be hard to do the look without either just mocking the original or coming off cheesy. Without any of the distinct things that make B5 great, I don't see it's own path to being a great show.

The trend these days is to "reboot" or "reinterpret" a series by overexplaining every slightly mysterious detail in that series' history. Star Trek is an obvious example with Section 31 but Star Wars has probably fallen victim to it with stuff like the Solo movie. I would prefer to savor remaining mysteries of the B5 universe rather than have them boringly and mechanically explained like I'm an idiot.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 3, 2024

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Yeah, true. I never thought of the fact that there wasn't a Chief Tyrol/Scotty/Geordi on B5 when I was watching it. That duty usually fell to Garibaldi, iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wasser nailed the 'oily dickhead businessman' vibe perfectly. He was one of my favorite characters in a series full of great ones.