Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Greatest Trek is in pilot season where they are watching pilots of other 90s sci-fi shows and next Friday their episode will be "Midnight at the Firing Line" so I was rewatching it tonight, and God drat what a great pilot episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They tell you how G'kar dies in the first episode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

G'kar is his nickname, short for his full name: GreatKar

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think there's an episode where a guy stabs somebody to deatha and says "FREE MARS" in a really stern way. I feel like that would be a really funny way to die.

I had a dream of a scene where a guy walks up to President Sheridan and stabs him, shouting "FREE MARS" and Sheridan has this perplexed look on his face saying "I... Did?"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm gonna call Midnight at the Firing Line the pilot cause anyone watching the gathering probably gonna turn that poo poo off pretty fast

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just Another Lurker posted:

I guess you didn't watch it back in 93. :shrug:

I didn't hear about the show until 95, I eventually watched the gathering but it's completely extraneous. The first episode tells you everything you need and is overall much better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watched episode 3 last night (the one where Londo fucks) and at one point the bad guy(was that enabran tain?) sends some goons to shoot at Londo and Sinclair, this one dude with wraparound sunglasses is the most 90s goon I've ever seen

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

This dude lives on a space station which is often poorly lit in the places he does the most business, and has no visibility to a sun at all in most circumstances, but he'll be goddamned if he isn't wearing those sweet wraparounds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sinclair is such a cool guy. Dressing up and taking Talia to a fancy restaurant but not a hint of him treating this as a date or showing romantic interest. Just being supportive of someone who did a good job.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Communist Bear posted:

Oh no the Babylon 5 thread is on the first thread.

Ahem.

[Londoishly] Who died?

Is there anybody left? Sheridan... Bester... Ivonova... maybe Talia, Marcus, and Lita? Maybe that pilot from season 2 nobody remembers until they are watching an episode he's in?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jedit posted:

It's Bill Mumy's 70th birthday today.

I thought he died like five years ago

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm glad to hear more people are alive than I thought

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What about a reboot that takes place during some time in the season 4 finale when humanity has been confined to Earth for a long time by the rangers and just now getting back out into space again. Meeting humans who are already out there and have been for centuries, meeting the major galactic players again for the first time.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Do a West Wing type show following president Clark as an extremely dark comedy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

T.C. posted:

A B5 reboot feels weird because B5 is the specific story, not the setting.

Reboots seem like a potentially good idea when the thing being rebooted is a setting where the stories take place or a very strong core story concept.

Babylon 5 isn't a particularly interesting setting on its own, and if you try to break down the core story concept it's not a thing you can describe in a handful of sentences and then take in a different direction.

For it to be Babylon 5 it needs to hit a bunch of the story beats, and if you're doing that then there's no value in a reboot?

Spin offs, sequels or other stories in the universe might be fun, but I can't personally see how you do the reboot.

So I think there is value to a remake some stuff like "Ivonova and Talia have a romantic relationship" which could barely be hinted at and never confirmed in the 90s but now could be openly done. They could make a version that is less overwhelmingly white.
They could explore stories they had to abandon due to actors leaving.

There are a lot of things they could do to retell the story in an interesting way for an audience born after it originally finished that could be more modern and relatable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How could Garibaldi's story have aued out differently if his hair didn't walk off set.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You know what's weird I'm noticing on rewatch is there being no regular character whose job is "fixing poo poo". It's just really rare that you wouldn't have a character like that.

I guess your don't have a mechanic character in something like The West Wing but it would be fun if you did

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Worker caste, religious caste, warrior caste, the truth is all the Minbari extras are straight out of the central caste

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How many votes on the grey counsel do the landlord caste get, because I have some tenants in the Euphrates sector who are starting to piss me off

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I said come in! posted:

We just had like one episode that was about that janitor in season 5. I really liked that one.

I just got to By Any Means Necessary, and Eduardo Delvientos would have been a great reoccurring character

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's made of two castes that matter

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wisest of all Minbari: An unknown alien race approaches. We should open our gun ports and point them at them. As a sign of respect.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How did the Centauri ever survive first contact with Minbari

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You think during a fit of passion Delenn shouts "Valens name!" Like a human might shout "Oh God!" And Sheridan is always a little miffed because like. Valen is a guy he knows.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Obviously aliens WERE racist against humans but the human defeating the champion in TKO cured their racism like how Rocky defeating Ivan Drago ended the cold war

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just got to Sheridan first episode, he's more of a goober then I remember

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's very relatable. He's like "gently caress yeah they got oranges here!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chevy Slyme posted:

The triluminary being just a “Sinclair’s DNA Detector” (not even a human DNA detector, since, presumably, they tried it on other human prisoners and it didn’t glow) misinterpreted does not invalidate the broader Minbari understanding of the nature of the soul or the patterns of reincarnation to which Minbari souls have been subjected.

I just watched S2 E1 when Lennier first explains this he says Sinclair was the first person they captured, and that after they detected a Minbari soul they captured and tested others, and I was pretty sure he said they found other Minbari souls and it confirmed what was going on.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chevy Slyme posted:

At the ~800 year mark, we're up to ~.5% of humanity being descended from Genghis Khan, and he only lived to 60 or so.

And Sinclair probably hosed a lot more often

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We misheard Lennier, he actually said they found out humans have "Minbari's holes"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Gyrotica posted:

Are you saying this whole time the Minbari were actually losing their holes, not their souls?

The weren't Minbari being born without holes, there were less Minbari being born at all, and the humans, they were being born with those holes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I love the little karate poses Lennier does when threatened

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Featuring Mark Prosch as Zathras

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

River of Souls is the only movie where I thought it was Joe Estevez but it turned out to actually be Martin Sheen, instead of the other way around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ravenson posted:

Rewatched "Grail" last week. It's bad. It's not TKO-bad but it's so bad. None of the guest actors are fun in their roles.

Oh yeah? Try watching it while you are literally reading le mort d'arthur in high school.