Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Midjack posted:

Can we not do this here? We have two whole forums and about fifty million other threads to bitch about the upcoming election in.

The avalanche has already begun. It is too late for pebbles to vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Narsham posted:

Boxleitner is right-wing,
The JMS Usenet post:
http://worldsofjms.com/usenet/post/021126a.htm

That certainly puts his character in Supergirl in a slightly different perspective.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jedit posted:

But nobody is going to say that Alan Bradley in the TRON movies is particularly right wing. Even Sheridan isn't especially right wing when considered as a whole. Jerry Doyle may have been Garibaldi, but then he was a broker who decided to have a go at acting; JMS shaped the part around the man because it got a better performance out of him. Boxleitner is an actor, and more than capable of not being himself on screen.

I sure wish I could find that speech the future Earthers make Sheridan give about blazing a path across the galaxy through the blood of alien children.

But I def agree with you. Honestly Boxleitner can still deliver a stirring enough speech that I'd follow him into battle.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Vavrek posted:

https://streamable.com/7ui8ik

According to JMS's commentary on the episode, Boxleitner spent a while studying Hitler's mannerisms for that speech.

Aw they left out my favorite part:

"Through your blood and the blood of your children, we will blaze a path across the galaxy. What we cannot take by force, we will win by subversion. And... in the end... we will bury you."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Endless Trash posted:

1. Babylon 5
2. Crusade
3. The first half of the first episode of Sense8 before I turned it off

I kind of liked Sense8, though it is a bit difficult to follow. I think the payoff at the end of season 1 is worth it though. I'd say thematically it reminds me of his Rising Stars graphic novel.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Real Ghostbusters was good

I have Captain Power on DVD somewhere, I really should bust that out.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Describe such a society.

https://alphacentauri.gamepedia.com/Human_Hive

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I love how the Minbari separate their society into warrior, religious, and miscellaneous.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

mossyfisk posted:

wait until you hear about feudalism

I don't literally love it. I think it's just hilarious that they decided that Worker was a great catch all for everyone who wasn't guiding spirituality or in the military.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Nerdietalk posted:

There’s a lot of stuff from his Spider-Man run I like, to the point I partly want to assume his bit on One More Day was something he was pushed into, but I have no evidence to back up that belief and I doubt it exists.

I don't think he gets as much flak for One More Day as he gets for Sins Past which, I get the idea behind it, but there was no way to make it work feasibly.

Edit: i think his run before it was great though and I love the idea of a Peter Parker who was a Spiderman and had a family that supported him behind it.

quote:

but Straczynski was on board with the editorial mandate of undoing the Parkers' marriage.[citation needed]

That's weird since he spends like three issues getting them back together.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Jan 5, 2021

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

head58 posted:

We’re going to record a remembrance episode for our podcast this weekend. What are some of your favorite Delenn moments (other than “If you value your lives, be somewhere else” of course).

"Follow them back to their bases and kill them all!! NO MERCY!!" *sobbing*

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

One that springs to mind is that in Doctor Who, Peter Capaldi briefly show up in the anniversary special a year before he took over the role.

Yeah but that wasn't material that was going to be used in a future episode.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Side note: B5 does it twice (assuming we're talking about the Sinclar-and-Garibaldi-last-stand footage), although more directly in Deconstruction due to it being filmed in S5.

True. There's flash forwards to stuff in Breaking Bad S2, but again that's self contained within the year.

The closest thing I can think of is maybe Lost when they did the surprise flash forward at the end of the season.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Seemlar posted:

Kosh greets Sinclair as "Entil'zha Valen" is the other one

In my headcanon, Kosh spent the past 10 minutes telling himself to be cool and just fanboyed the moment he saw Sinclair.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

He also propositioned Lyta, no?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Data Graham posted:

It's a heavily serialized show. You can't really skip things

Unless you sleep-skipped TKO.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

jng2058 posted:

I've always thought that was one of the hidden strengths of B5. While there are A- or B- or even C-plots that suck rear end, it's rare that both (or all three in some cases) plots suck. Grey 17 is Missing is often cited as one of if not the worst B5 episode, and the Garibaldi vs. the worst looking rubber suit monster ever A-Plot does indeed suck rear end, but it's splitting time with the actually quite awesome Marcus vs Neroon B-plot. Think the alien probe part of A Day in the Strife is stupid? You're right! But the B-plot with G'kar and Ta'lon is great as is the C-plot with Londo and Vir. And so on and so forth. It's actually pretty hard to find a B5 episode that's terrible from start to finish, where as I can come up with just off the top of my head The Royale, Profit and Lace, and Threshold as TNG, DS9, and VOY episodes that were an entire hour of agony for me, only relieved by the merciful commercial breaks.

The Royale is classic. i bet you don't like Up the Long Ladder either.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Shadows just captured him and turned him into an asset for Tolwyn in the Wing Commander universe.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I always thought a prequel series could depict the Dilgar War. Setting it shortly before and then during the war would nicely lay the groundwork for showing Clark maneuvering into Santiago's VP slot, the slow roll that brought about the rise of fascism on Earth, etc.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

adhuin posted:

We clearly need a new thread title. Post your ideas.

Babylon 5: The Coming of CW-series

Babylon 5: Reboot... Zoot Zoot

Babylon 5: CW. Our last, best hope for a remake.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Fighting Trousers posted:

If nothing else, this will give us a do over on Season 5, hopefully with 100% less Byron.

If he gets a proper five season commitment from the outset, we can even see what his original idea for a complete fifth season would have been.

Dammit, a Farscape continuation would have been perfect for the CW. it's basically a bunch of sexy, horny space criminals.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

OnlyBans posted:

He's a good looking man for his age. He's charming. He's well respected by his peers. And he is incredibly powerful.

Any one of those is enough to find someone sexy.

And he has his own credit cards

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

CainFortea posted:

Also Chief Warrant Officers don't actually exist, and are beasts of legend and mythology.

I think he's just away for a bit. His cap and keys are still at his desk.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Doctor Zero posted:

I don’t know if I’d call it unskippable. It adds a lot of details to the background of things already talked about in the series.

What I don’t like about it is how it connects characters who IMO should not have been, because they never talk about those connections in the series. A bit too retcon at times.

It is great though!

It's unskippable in the sense that it has a lot of great scenes and some background that help give context to characters. Mainly Delenn.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

yeah but Tony Todd

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Hollismason posted:

Did G'Kar and Sheridan ever acknowledge that they knew each other before Bablyon 5 that was a serious retcon .

Don't they get their memories wiped? I assume it took enough that Sheridan doesn't remember meeting G'Kar or that it was all really fuzzy.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

CainFortea posted:

What you think Julian and O'Brien were fighting in those Halo novels?

.... The Flood?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Oh god that reminds me of how a UPN exec had an idea to have a new band appear on Enterprise every week.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

I just realized that the reason I didn't have a real memory of Keffer was because I kept confusing him with Zack.

I can kinda see what Talia's actor might've been complaining about if she said that she wasn't in enough episodes, she's barely in season 2, and when she does show up, her plots are pretty isolated from everyone else, while Vir and Lennier can just kinda hang out even when they're not relevant to what's going on. I feel like the show didn't particularly know how to connect the telepath plots to the rest of the show, and it makes me wonder whether the remake would even have it.

Given that telepaths are a critical weapon in the Shadow War, it's seems like the idea of a telepath underground smuggling humans away from Psi Corps should be plot point where human telepaths would have joined B5 in the Shadow War and worked with Sheridan when the Earth Civil War started.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

"Should we build Babylon 5 in the exact same space as Babylon 4?"

"You mean the station that mysteriously disappeared leaving no debris or remains behind??? gently caress no. Move it a few hours that way."

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

No boom today. Boom tomorrow.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

ultrafilter posted:

I always thought that was Morden, and Londo screwed up by destroying the Shadow ships on Centauri Prime when they would've left on their own in a bit.

Londo couldn't just let them go because the Vorlons might still think there were Shadows still had influence over Centauri Republic. Killing Morden and destroying the ships was the only way Londo could show that the Shadows held no sway over them.

edit: I always that the eye that does not see was that Centauri treasure?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I wonder if Babylon 5 is the only space station that has that many different species present on it at any one time. I have to imagine that most of the big corporations from all the major and minor governments had offices or representatives on board just for all the deal making and business opportunities that had to be present.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Narsham posted:

I’d be curious how many people with military experience have heard commanding officers getting briefed on details they should already be aware of. A scene like this may be truth in television!

A colleague of mine was briefing an officer on the overall situation in some country and when he got to slide on our capabilities the guy stopped him and said "I know what we have down there."

The whole Sheridan/White Star thing could probably be fixed with a line about Sheridan getting data crystal about the White Star's capabilities and mid-fight Sherida asks Lennier "White Star can do X, right? So we can do yadda yadda and nuke them to hell." And Lennier nods like the sub he is.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

But if anyone in this universe isn't loving, it's Londo and G'kar.

You cited the two characters who had inferred orgies.

Unless you mean with each other.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think Xena wins this one, but only on the basis that it's technically scifi in a few (gay!) episodes.

Xena def went further than Hercules, a show about two big men who travel around in leather pants and vests and continually cockblock each other but they're definitely not an item.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 29, 2022

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Rappaport posted:

I mean, they have video call technology

Drall just sends a lennier hologram everywhere

or lennier just idk, remotes into G'Kar's cybernetic eye?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I'm sure it wasn't this way for budgetary reasons, but I really wish the White Stars used the same holographic display systems that Minbari bridges/combat information centers use.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

The ending of that post really works if you kind of read it in Zathras's voice.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

CainFortea posted:

I don't think there's much info on where the Narn stand in relation to the Centauri before hostilities break out again. Were the Narn basically second class citizens on the galactic stage? Or was their opening of the war more about getting their own back?

It was hostile but in the realm of "we'll secretly attack you" ala Midnight on the Firing Line, rather than provoke open conflict. But IIRC the Narn also openly grabbing territory all around them regardless of neutrality or opposition. They just never openly provoked another major power or Non-Aligned world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Iron Crowned posted:

I don't have any issues with the Sinclair/Sheridan handoff, especially since Sinclair gets a nice send-off IMHO

The first time you see it, Sinclair just vanishes and you don't even get to see him leave the station. I can see someone would be rankled about a major character change like that with no lead up.