Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
He basically wanted to Make Centauri Great Again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Any new G'Kar / Londo moment that one has never experienced before is treasure.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

mllaneza posted:

There was also the bunker scene of a bunch of civilians obviously under bombardment. One man in civilian garb gets up, says goodbye to his family, picks up a rifle and heads out. I read that as "all of these civilians are hosed".

This scene seems to conflict with the dialog where I think Lefcourt or someone else says that the Minbari have left the human colonies alone and have only gone after the military, possibly because the Minbari caste system dictates the warriors die first and then the they move through the civilians. It's more a scene to where Londo can talk about humanity's resilience and willingness to fight the impossible.

Angry Salami posted:

I always felt the show should have done more with the idea that the anti-alien movement on Earth isn't just ignorant bigotry, but a fairly understandable reaction to narrowly surviving a war against a genocidal alien empire. I kinda feel the reporter in "And Now For A Word..." kinda had a point calling out Delenn's transformation as a pretty insulting gesture given what the Minbari had tried to do.

Definitely. From the average human's perspective, they went from being heroes after helping defeat Space Mengele and his Space Nazis and a few years later suddenly having an alien race no one has ever heard of killing them while never asking for anything and everyone else, especially the people you just helped, go "wow that sucks" while making a show of patting their pants for change and then walking away.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 4, 2023

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

The Black Star was going in to kill a bunch of a crippled ships. It's not like it was coming in to render aid and take the survivors as POWs.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jedit posted:

It was the biggest Minbari defeat and humanity's only really significant victory in space.

Except for the entire Dilgar War.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jedit posted:

I thought it was obvious that I was talking about the Earth-Minbari War, but apparently not.

E:

:allears:

Sorry, didn't realize you meant the only victory during that war.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Habibi posted:

Anybody else getting that Superman walk across America storyline vibes from the premise for this movie?

It reminds me of JMS's Happy Birthday Spiderman mini-arc where Spider-man interferes with Doctor Strange's spell and they both get cast outside of time and Doc Strange has Spider-man travel through his life, both future and past, to get back to his present moment.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm not enjoying early season two on rewatch. Ivanova finally getting more to do is good, but I reckon thr Sheridan swap could have been more dramatically handled, and there's a run of meh episodes. This horror episode where Doctor Franklin tries to root his patient hours after she learned her husband died is particularly lame.

I did get a big laugh at G'Kar telling this lady that she'd be better off loving back to 1999 or whatever. Dude has no chill.

I reckon they should have depicted his come to Jakwan moment on screen though, instead of letting his breakthrough happen off screen and between seasons.

Isn't the bit where he takes Dust and talks to a vision of his dead father (or a Vorlon posting as his dead father) his "come to G'Quan" moment?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Small White Dragon posted:

Them sitting around "admiring the view" when they lost the Shadow War seems... odd, although I guess the Shadows wouldn't simply eliminate every sentient species, that would probably be a failure of their edict.

It almost makes sense to me that if the Shadows won, Earth would come out on top. The Shadows would contain or defeat the Minbari, they'd have the Centauri fighting the Narn and the League and stretched too thin to fight the Earth Alliance when the Shadows had Clarke move against them.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

I was wondering because it wasn't that long ago he was on Supergirl and he sounded the same.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

SlothfulCobra posted:

They have some kind of hyperspace coordinate system, giving psychics the Markab system is a lot cleaner than I expected assuming that the Markab have an acceptable biosphere for human life.

The only real outright plothole with the telepath colony saga is that the show doesn't touch on how most races handle telepaths, and seemingly humans are the only ones with a social problem about it.

I assumed the coordinate system relied heavily on the existence of beacons.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Except that we see plenty of ships that can open their own jump points (White Stars, Cortez, Minbari warships, etc.). And besides, the gates had to be built in the first place somehow. If there was a need for a lot of traffic to go to Markab again, there's no reason it wouldn't be possible to build a new one.

It's not finding a ship that can open a jump point, as you noted (though it seems like only mostly government vessels are the ones equipped with jump engines), it's that with the gate gone, can people even find the Markab homeworld in hyperspace again?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Jedit posted:

The Narn are a major power and have their own seat on the Advisory Council. If they had just one world, or even only a couple, they'd be a member of the League instead. So it's known that they've done some rapid expansion in the 25 years preceding the show. When you expand rapidly, you can't always hold everything you grab.

Odds are that Ragesh 3 was a Narn colony in the sense that the majority of the population was Narn when the occupation ended, but it was at the time one that the Centauri could recapture and did so to save a bit of face after losing Narn itself and a number of similar colony worlds. Think of it as Space Haiti, except the French came back in and took over again.

E: checked the wiki. Apparently Londo's claim that the Centauri took the Narn with them to the stars was provably false and just his usual bombast. The Narn did have interstellar travel before the invasion, and probably had to reverse engineer Centauri tech afterwards because the Centauri would have destroyed all the homegrown Narn spaceships as a means of control.

I'd just as easily assume Londo means the Centauri took enslaved Narn to other colonies

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

The most we saw was General Franklin leading EA land force against some other alien rebellion as a favor to the local government. But even then you didn't see anything about the combat, just the aftermath. I seem to recall an image of like VTOL/Skynet Hunter Killer type things but that was about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Fingers crossed some ships from Space Above and Beyond make it onto DVD menus.