Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

JMS doing this as a passion project could mean it's either awesome or terrible, and I'll take that gamble because it'll at least be interesting. But yeah if it were someone trying to find an IP they can pin a new streaming service on, I'd be much more skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I had a screenshot of a promo letter I received from the CW touting the new shows they're airing next fall - leading off with a space station. But then I woke up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Skippy McPants posted:

Gonna rewatch this show; been over fifteen years since my last viewing. Will it hold up?!

If you want the spoilery answer: yes. Yes it will.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

runaway dog posted:

drat I am loving the hell out of season 1 on this 3rd rewatch.

The more you watch, the better season 1 seems because of all the things you realize tie together and pay off later.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Put the remasters on blu-ray WB

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

We had purchased from Vudu some years ago, but I haven't checked if they are updated at all. Anyone know offhand?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

My wife did the same thing, I had called it "a thinking man's sci fi" or something like that and she was like "whatever you say, dear" during S1.

By the time we finished Sleeping in Light she immediately turned to me and said in no uncertain terms we were going to immediately watch again starting from S1.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think there's ever really a "comeuppance" for the Centauri. For Londo, maybe, but the Centauri aren't grandly defeated, they just pull back from Narn and go back into anew form of decline as the story mostly loses sight on the Centauri as a whole.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

If you can call it a battle. :blastu::supaburn:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

From the blind watch thread:

Tom Guycot posted:

s3e15 interludes and examination

I still wonder how they can win this war, like, yeah they have the Vorlons now (or at least for one fight), but from the power of those ships, it basically seems like the vorlons are the only ones who can do anything and the rest are paper airplanes flutting around, even if they mass together. I'll need to see some of the younger races win a battle with the shadows before I'm convinced theres even any point to anyone but the vorlons fighting.

:allears:

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Newbie thread going well.

Tom Guycot posted:

s3e22 Z'Ha'Dum

Holy poo poo thats a season finale.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

1x21: Babylon Squared.

holy loving poo poo!

I don't know who would be reading this thread that's not reading that one. But you love to see it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trying not to hold my breath for a proper full remaster. It's on time for a 30th anniversary edition Blu ray though....

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

ozmunkeh posted:

Crusade OST remaster.

Is Christopher Franke still alive to hire so we can throw out the original and re-score it from scratch?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'd settle for Bear McCreary or Michael Giacchino doing their best Franke ripoffs.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Horizon Burning posted:

i think he's hinted at it being an audio drama or something like that

Ehhhhhhh...... Way to burst my bubble.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

4K remasters on hard media so we're not at the whims of streaming services

I will die happy (many years from now, God willing) if this happens. And I will buy the poo poo out of it

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I said come in! posted:

So that turned out to be a nothing burger. I dunno, I couldn't be any less interested in this.

I can't help but be disappointed when what I really wanted was a good remaster. But I will do my best to give this a fair shot.

Now an audio drama, I would have been right there with you.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Vorlings, please

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Rappaport posted:

The obvious example is Asimov's "the Mule", who more or less derails all of society with his psychic powers. Asimov's robots also wind up figuring out telepathy, but a lot of the stories portray it as either a full negative (LIAR!), or something to be guarded as a secret (Daneel and Giskard). There's Niven's Teela Brown, whose sort-of-psy-powers are (spoiler alert for a fifty-year-old book) revealed to have been the main instigator for everything that happens in the plot of Ringworld. Niven's "Known Space" also contains the Slavers, and there's some stories depicting how they ran a galaxy-wide empire with their telepathy powers while being absolute dumb-asses themselves, but granted these are not humans.

But generally speaking, telepathy was seen as an enemy and as a weapon in a lot of old-school sci-fi, and Babylon 5 certainly explores aspects of telepathy being a weapon.

It's hard to imagine a functional telepath not being a threat. To my thinking it's the kind of power advantage over "mundanes" that a billionaire has.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Five.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Waiting for the details seems wise. I'm in for now, but not in enough to preorder. I mean it has to be an upgrade over the DVDs, though, right?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

When is the official release?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Had some major life disruptions going on for a while, but I finally got around to watching The Road Home and I'm here to post about it. I had a blast with it! It was kinda fanservicey, but not in an obnoxious way, and the writing all seemed on point. The cold open with the socks was a great way to get it going, it felt like home immediately. If I'm a sucker, I'm loving every minute of it.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

No one to even whisper, "I hear you," and giggle deliriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

You made the assertion that it's hard to make a case that Minbari are worse than human beings in the context of ascending over the course of the series and afterwards, I responded to that my making the case that Minbari are worse under several possible standards of 'worse', including 'some sort of virtue' and 'willingness to explore new technologies' to show that it's not actually hard to make such a case.

From a 'virtue' standpoint, Minbari have a lot of unsavory elements like a theocratic, militaristic government (while humans have a secular, civilian government). From a 'not self-destructing' standpoint, Minbari are prone to starting war with other races and themselves and have a very low threshold for starting genocide (as opposed to humans, who are big on diplomacy, don't try any extermination, and are repeatedly criticized for not engaging in enough war). From an 'embracing new ideas' standpoint Minbari society appears to be very rigid and confining and are very keen on following the bad path favored by the Vorlons (as opposed to what we see of humans). From an 'advancing technology' standpoint, Minbari explicitly reject studying certain field sof technology, and don't seem to invent much on their own (as opposed to humans who rabidly study anything they can get their hands on). From an 'advancing mental abilities' standpoint, Minbari have had teeps for a thousand years without change (while psi corps has already produced a massively transhuman psychic being).

I'm not assuming that you need 'virtue' to ascend, I am saying that it's very easy to make the case that Minbari are worse than human beings by a variety of metrics, one of which you can summarize as 'virtue'.

I'm not sure I'd quote the human government in B5, secular civilian or not, as a point of virtue. There's a lot more to virtue than simply having society organized a certain way. For most of B5's run (and part of the future we see in the S4 finale) Earth's secular, civilian government is also explicitly fascist and xenophobic. For "virtue" to be a factor in this question of ascending, it has to be on the level of the individual, and then consequently somehow reaching a critical mass.