Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jows
May 8, 2002

CainFortea posted:

Vir is my favorite of the whole show. Londo and G'Kar are the best drama to watch, but Vir is basically the best all around person on the whole drat station.

Hey what about Lennier? I'm midway through S5 on my rewatch (it's been many years) and he's never done anything but be in the service of others.
Aside, why can ghosts see the future? Or just Morden's ghost?

Lame joke spoilered for the newbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

Los Vorlones Vorlons of Anaheim

Jows
May 8, 2002

Babylon 5: DrAFFa-19 Survival Station

Jows
May 8, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

Jeffery Combs is also in both B5 and DS9, but he gives a very different performance. I'm not sure how much is the character being different and how much is B5 directing maybe not being good.

The acting in the last season of DS9 is top-notch, but the writing of how everything ends isn't great.

Well, that's what spoiler tags are for, so I'll leave it here for people who've seen both of the B5 and DS9.

I guess I mean they can't get as wild, since there's the big parallel of having a coup on Earth, but with DS9 it's an unthinkable one-off, while B5 turned it into a whole spanning plotline. The interstellar politics also are a bit weaker in DS9, since while B5 could really give you a window into the complexity with the whole interplay of the Narn and Centauri flipping back and forth from villains to sympathetic heroes, but all the big factions in Star Trek were already either villains or former villains that had agreed to temporary alliances and ceasefires with the Federation. There was a lot less wiggle room. The Centauri/Narn war was a major escalation, but the Klingons going to war? Not as much of a shock. The one faction that wasn't predictably sinister was Bajor, but it gets pretty forgotten as the show goes on.

And the admiral guy helping do the coup on B5 was killed off offscreen because the actor took a job on DS9 as an admiral doing a coup and had conflicting shooting schedules.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Ash1138 posted:

Yeah the actual HD shots are so good that I got a new appreciation for how good the costuming and makeup was. Especially for Londo and G’kar.

On the flip side I noticed in one scene the mesh/hair net thing that Bill Mumy wore under the bonehead prosthetic sticking out a bit. And there was one very heavy, emotional scene that was 90% close-ups on Delenn and it was clear that they messed up the skin to hair transition on the side of her head.

These were in later seasons so no doubt they were due to their attempts to cut down on the time spent in the makeup chair every day.

That poo poo blows my mind about sci-fi actors. The folks that get made up are in the drat chair for HOURS every day before their day even starts. And they probably don't make nearly as much as the series leads that waltz in, get some powder or whatever and are good to go.

Jows
May 8, 2002

CW probably gives him the best bet to complete the show.
Shows seem to putter on on CW for a long time. Riverdale is on season what?
Netflix would send him an auto generated email cancelling the series after the show failed to meet engagement metrics on day 3 of availability.

Jows
May 8, 2002

Wasn't the whole point of ItB to catch up new viewers on some of the major plot points and some background world building when the show went to TNT for S5?

Jows
May 8, 2002

V-Men posted:

And he has his own credit cards

and keys...

Jows
May 8, 2002

Doctor Zero posted:

Oh it’s not that bad! There are at least … four … left. :smith:

5! Boxleitner, Mumy, Jurasik, Christian, Carter?

Jows
May 8, 2002

I just finished reading the blind thread. Too bad Aardvark and The Doctor lost steam on watching/posting - it was fun to try to remember what they were responding to. I had to look up a couple synopses to remind myself.

Jows
May 8, 2002

So I keep seeing in this thread and the blind watch thread that it's better to think of B5 as a stage performance. Why is that? Maybe I'm just too simple to understand the nuance but what makes the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jows
May 8, 2002

I wonder what he's going to keep the same and what he's going to turn on it's head - that's going to be the most interesting part for veterans. Following his twitter he's basically said he's writing the story he wants to write now, and CW came to HIM, not the other way around, so it could be really interesting.