Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grand Fromage posted:

Zima being the only product to survive into the 2200s is my favorite joke of the entire show.

The fact is, that's exactly what it is, that sign was put in the Zocalo because JMS thought it would he hilarious if Zima made it that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

That's a false observation, I think. B5 was made very much in the movie mindset, being framed for 16:9 despite 4:3 being the industry standard and the transmission format. Only the VFX shots were done 4:3 to save cash. If it looks like proscenium arch, that's probably an artefact of the station design: lots of small rooms and narrow corridors. It's a lot more obvious that it's filmed on set in the exteriors, particularly the garden in the central hub and outside the Imperial Palace on Centauri Prime.

B5 was filmed in 16:9 because that's the DTV standard, and they were making it futureproof. The downside of VFX being made on a video toaster is that the files have been lost and cannot me moved to 16:9.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McSpanky posted:

Yeah everything about him just blatantly says "don't give a gently caress about your meatbag sensibilities, do as I say or screw". The question is, are most of the Vorlons like Kosh 1 or Kosh 2? I'm guessing 2.

It's been a while, but I remember Kosh 2 even saying that Kosh 1 had become too attached to the younger races.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Aka "See what SeaQuest did? Don't do that."

:lol: It's times like this that I remember that SeaQuest was a show that I watched

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Sadly I don't think a modern space opera would fly today. I think part of the success of B5 was that it was always an underdog, I remember it barely got season 3, and season 5 only happened because of TNT (for better or worse).

It was ahead of it's time using CGI because it was low budget. The low budget also contributed to it having a more relatable feel, in that it does look like a product of the early 90's, right down to the Zima neon.

Being a nerd back then was a scarlet letter if you were in middle or high school, you never let on that you watching Star Trek, SeaQuest, or Babylon 5 because that's not what the cool kids did. I'm sure that more people were watching it than openly admitted, but unless you were the mal-adjusted kids that were fine being known as dorks, you only had one or two people that you could even mention it to, in secret.

Now with nerds being in fashion, overarching plots, and higher budgets, a new space serial would be written off as just a rip-off of Star Trek, or Star Wars, or even B5. And lets face it, B5 has some big shoes to fill due to the alchemy of what it was, and when it was.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Burning_Monk posted:

Has no one in this thread seen The Expanse? Because it's hitting some of the big space opera with politics hits that B5 is known for, just no aliens.

I don't have cable?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Calling Intersections in Real Time pointless, is it

It's a pretty neat episode in my opinion because the titular "intersections" are the commercial breaks, which is lost on a streaming/DVD viewing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doctor Zero posted:

:same: the only thing stopping me is that it’s sure to still go way higher.

:yossame:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Doctor Zero posted:

Ulkesh

But it doesn't really matter. We are all Kosh.

:hai:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

sebmojo posted:

Lol yep

The other wtf moment is seeing Walter White in s4

Haha, at the time it was Malcom's Dad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Malcolm in the Middle started in 2000, two years after B5 ended.

Well, they were airing reruns on the Sci-Fi Channel at the time

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
*Another rip from the bong*

I have always been here.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I feel like for better or worse the Technomages were an idea intended to play a much bigger part that got left by the wayside when the outline changed after Sinclair was replaced with Sheridan.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

I love Kosh

We all love Kosh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jedit posted:

I don't think it was hyperbole from Vir. It's our first real sign that Vir loves the Republic not blindly and unquestioningly, but for what it can and should be.

The point, which people keep sailing past with nary a care in the world, is that it's not how Londo sees Vir. Londo always sees Vir as the bumbling, good-hearted but naive assistant who despite everything he has grown quite fond of. He makes multiple attempts to protect Vir from the darkness surrounding himself and the Intrigue of the Centauri court. It is thus out of character for Londo to give Vir this "surprise gift".

It's been a minute since I've watched it, but it's pretty in character for Londo to have bugs all over B5, so it's likely Londo had some secret recording of Vir's wish.

E;fb

Maybe not

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Burning_Monk posted:

She was most known at the time for her role in Night of the Living Dead (remake).

If you didn't have a huge crush on her admire her work after that, I don't know what to tell you

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ultrafilter posted:

I was responding to the same post that you were. Did you watch the rest of the series in the original broadcast? I thought I was the only one.

I remember watching The Gathering with my dad when it aired on the tiny kitchen TV with a car battery because the power had been knocked out by a major storm.

I didn't really watch again until about season 3 because B5 came on at the same time I went to youth group because I was a giant dork in my early years :negative:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

McSpanky posted:

You'd think they would've been happy enough that virtually all B5 aliens are more complex than TNG-style rubber foreheads, but noooooooooooo

I was. I was always impressed that they considered that there were aliens out there that didn't breathe oxygen, and had aliens that required space encounter suits to interact in the oxygen rich environment of Babylon 5, that's something you never saw in Sci Fi back then, and sadly,y you really don't see it today either.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Data Graham posted:

Londo was the only Centauri with an accent though, wasn't he?

Which, lol

I'm thinking it was sorta the difference between a posh accent and a cockney accent, especially since Londo was a bit of a traditionalist when it came to status

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just use flashbacks. "Oh, hey, remember when they told us in the briefing that the White Star could do this?"

That appeared in my head Family Guy style

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I said come in! posted:

At least give me a AAA Babylon 5 video game.

:hai:

I'll take a Star Fury simulator

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Timby posted:

The monkey's paw curls and it's made by Bethesda or CD Projekt Red, so it's an unplayable mess until after three years of patches and DLC.

Bethesda would make me never want to play it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TK-42-1 posted:

That's basically Elite: Dangerous with flight assist off.

Except that Elite: Dangerous is really boring

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Part of the problem with s5 is that they didn't know they were going to get a 5th season, so they wrapped everything up as much as possible in s4, and even filmed the series finale.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

lobster shirt posted:

i would spend at least ten dollars on a GPS that gave me directions in londo's voice

:same:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ultrafilter posted:

Babylon 5: it's the loving Vorlons

Babylon 5: it's the Vorlons loving

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:yeshaha:

I can't wait, I've been itching for a rewatch for a while

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
So, yeah, I've been watching B5 on Tubi, it's been pretty great TBH

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chevy Slyme posted:

We have a no-spoilers thread if you’d like to chat about it without having yourself spoiled. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925635

Oh, I've seen it before, but it's been a while, other than the odd episode here and there when it was on Comet a few years back.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

MikusR posted:

Still M*A*S*H.

Nobody actually likes M*A*S*H, there were only 3 channels in the 70's, so you had your choice of a bad TV movie, another bad TV movie, or a bad TV show at any given time when sports weren't on.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
(re)watching season 1 has been interesting so far, some fairly meh episodes, but there's some groundwork being laid. Infection isn't great, but there are hints at the reasoning behind the shadow war.

Also, it's pretty clear that Catherine Sakai was being set up to be Anna Sheridan, had Michael O'Hare been able to continue past season one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Watched "Survivors" last night, and it made me remember just how comedically obnoxious G'Kar is in the beginning, just constantly complaining to Sinclair about everything.

The real star of that episode is Garabaldi's shirt, it's straight out of a timeline where 1993's fashion never went out of style.

As a side note, I've been doing this rewatch with my roommate, who hasn't seen Babylon 5 before. She hasn't been paying a whole lot of attention yet, but she's been chuckling at lines here or there. I"m sure this will change once The Shadows wake up.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I don't have any issues with the Sinclair/Sheridan handoff, especially since Sinclair gets a nice send-off IMHO

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Remember when Kal Pen committed suicide on House, and then everyone forgot about him by the next episode

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rappaport posted:

Alright, but if everyone in the show is an unreliable narrator, it makes for a very different viewing experience.

The only reliable narrator is yourself

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ozmunkeh posted:

Signs and Portents I think.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure he's registered yet with my roommate, who looked away when you see the shadows for the first time, so I had to rewind it :argh:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I forgot about Londo and Lennier bonding at the Dark Star :3:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CainFortea posted:

Or it was a narrative choice because "going red giant and crisping the earth (but not blowing it up)" didn't have enough punch.

This is my assumption, also I think it was still up in the air which way things would go in the 90's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Clouseau posted:

She's going to die soon and knows it, so she's willing to put aside a few red flags (cop, daffy duck, hair situation).

Have you seen the shirts he wears?