Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
I just finished watching all of Captain Power. It wasn't incredible but it was deeper and more mature than the average kid show. The DVD set has a 90-minute documentary that's worth watching; it has interviews with JMS and other people who went on to work on B5, plus behind the scenes videos going back to pre-production. Anyway, if you're looking for something to watch and are thinking of going through Stargate Atlantis for the third time, consider this instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
JMS confirmed that the Shadows' allies destroyed the first three stations, though it's never explicitly said on the show.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love the way that one gets resolved; You want me to read the riot act?

You absolutely certain you want me to read the riot act and deal with this situation however I deem fit?

Alright then... :flipoff:

There were a couple of times where it looked like something bad was going to happen to the protagonists but it turned out to be a trick, like Refa and G'Kar in "And the Rock Cried Out" or when it looked like Sheridan's career was over in "Rising Star." I can't be a captain any more? Fine, I'll just be president of the galaxy!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Hell yeah. I commented on that in my recent watchthrough; running it in slow-motion and setting it in counterpoint to "No Hiding Place" being belted out by gospel singers was one of those "Yep, we've arrived in the modern era of TV drama" moments, akin to the Miami Vice "In the Air Tonight" scene.

Telling the others not to injure Refa from the neck up so the body can be identified is a real "Are they actually doing this?!" moment. Also when the singer says "Jesus" we see a close-up of G'Kar.

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, a common repeated remark a friend and I had when I was watching B5 for the first time was Mira Furlan deserved career hazard pay for some of the dialogue she has, especially once she starts being pushed into the box of "Sheridan's love interest".

Originally all the expository dialogue in 'War Without End' was going to be shared by Delenn and Draal, but his actor was unavailable so she had to deliver it all, though it seems like her character shouldn't even know some of it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
JMS posted his memories of Harlan Ellison (too long to post here):

https://www.facebook.com/officialjmspage/posts/1999083533459833

Also:

That was a pretty unrealistic date even when they made that episode.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
JMS said the hump was the female, but I'm not sure how that works. Also the Narn are like seahorses and the male gives birth. And we all know about the Centauri. (In "Born to the Purple" they considered showing the 'receptacles' on Adira's back but decided against it.)

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I forgot how hosed up the Narn homeworld invasion episode is. You really lose a lot of respect for Lando with that one.

Don't forget how he sells out Han to the Empire.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Platonicsolid posted:

That's the thing about the show that still impresses me - few episodes are total garbage* with no impact. Even one-offs like TKO still do world and character building.

*Grading on the "Shoestring budget 90s Sci-Fi" curve

Also Walker's last line to Garibaldi :tinfoil:

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I don't think he ever gets a name.

His name is Virini, but I think it’s only said once, in his last appearance.

quote:

Basically. The Inquisitor says something like So, what if you do this and you die alone, forgotten and unremembered, in the dark where no one knows you did anything at all?

And this comes back in a later season.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Katsulas said he didn't like the one episode in which his character appeared in person because he preferred being a giant face on the screen.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Larry G. DiTillio, who served as executive story editor for Babylon 5, has died.

Given what we know of JMS' original story plans, I wonder how much we have DiTillio to thank for the series we actually got? Anyone know?

Here's JMS's statement:

https://www.facebook.com/officialjmspage/posts/2389642397737276

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Blindeye posted:

Didn't the thing he shopped around also have a shapeshifter security agent? I remember reading about it (not in the context of DS9, but in what changed between the pitch and the show) and was like :aaaaa:

At one point the assassin in the pilot was a shapeshifter instead of someone using technology to take different appearances.

Something else from early documents that never made it into the show is Mr. Jones, who's officially an ordinary shopkeeper but who has a mysterious past and helps or hinders the other characters as it suits him. Sounds familiar....

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

TraderStav posted:

This episode with the ISN special on Babylon 5 is really infuriating!

I never liked that one because it's one of those "idiot ball" stories where the plot only works because everyone acts unrealistically stupid. There's no reason for them to trust that guy and every reason to think he's lying but they go ahead.

RedSnapper posted:

And Newtonian physics on the starfuries. My favorite bit is form S2E22 (Fall of night) when they fight the Centauri warship and some furies cut their engines, turn, and keep drive-by shooting the ship.

Also the Starfuries don't use engines to launch from the station, they just release their docking clamps and the rotation throws them out.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know that must suck for cryogenic colonists; Getting all hyped to be the first to go explore and settle a new world, going into stasis... and getting woken up by some slack-jawed nobody of a soldier or civilian telling them that they were leapfrogged ahead by decades due to the invention of some method of FTL since they left.

The 1944 story “Far Centaurus” by AE van Vogt uses that idea: a sleeper ship takes 500 years to reach another planet but when it arrives, the crew wake up and discover the planet is populated because FTL travel was invented while they were traveling, and now a trip there from Earth takes just a few hours.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Zaroff posted:

Wasn't that Ko'Dath (who was only in Born to the Purple, then had an airlock accident)? Or did that happen to the first Na'Toth as well and they just madebad choices with their Narn aides and prosthetics?

It was both. Mary Woronov, who played Ko'Dath, decided she didn't like the makeup and so her character was killed off between episodes. Susan Kellerman was cast as Na'Toth but she didn't like the makeup and left without ever appearing. Caitlin Brown, who'd auditioned for Delenn and Ivanova, was quickly brought in to replace her, but she left after the first season. However she did return as another character in season 2 and played Na'Toth one more time in season 5.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

I thought it was implied 1-3 were also sabotaged by the shadows?

It's never specifically addressed on the show but JMS confirmed that's what happened.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Vavrek posted:

The what? Please explain for those of us who came to the show slightly later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V90fc-iTIY4

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Expired Vitamin posted:

Now that I think about it, Trek may have actually gotten the idea for the Borg from Moontrap.

The earlier JMS series Captain Power might have inspired the Borg: one villain was a cyborg with a glowing red eyepiece, and another villain was a computer that spoke in an echoey monotone. I know those ideas aren't unique in science fiction but the fact they appeared together in a show that aired a year before the Borg were introduced makes me wonder.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Aug 29, 2020

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Jedit posted:

Johnny Sekka retired from acting after the B5 pilot, due to health issues I believe.

Ironically he still outlived Richard Biggs, the actor who replaced him.

VinylonUnderground posted:

Not to be morbid but do we know what happened? It sounds like cancer but I can't find any info. Just one of those things, a function of having lived in a warzone, undeterminable because of the time passed, ???

Do you mean Furlan? She had West Nile Virus.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 28, 2021

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

pentyne posted:

The story was something like JMS was getting grilled hard on his budget and they sent a PETN suit to set to watch and make sure he didn't run into overtime, so when Bruce screwed up and ruined the take, requiring them to go into overtime, the suits approved it and JMS was able to take his time and get the scene right.

It wasn't JMS, it was director John C. Flinn III. Flinn directed nine episodes in all; he also played the guy who tries to sue the Vree for abducting his ancestor and the guy who Lennier gets away from by pretending to have a disease.

Supposedly Boxleitner has never admitted to deliberately blowing the line and is noncommittal when asked about it.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
These guys on the left?

I couldn't find any name for them; apparently fans haven't even come up with something non-canonical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Asteroid Alert posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...m_medium=social

Babylon 5: The Road Home will continue the story he started in the 1990s, with the log line stating, “Travel across the galaxy with John Sheridan as he unexpectedly finds himself transported through multiple timelines and alternate realities in a quest to find his way back home. Along the way he reunites with some familiar faces, while discovering cosmic new revelations about the history, purpose, and meaning of the Universe.”

They've recast the people who've died:

quote:

The voice cast also includes Paul Guyet as Zathras and Jeffery Sinclair, Anthony Hansen as Michael Garibaldi, Mara Junot as Reporter and Computer Voice, Phil LaMarr as Dr. Stephen Franklin, Piotr Michael as David Sheridan, Andrew Morgado as G’Kar and Rebecca Riedy as Delenn.