Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Rappaport posted:

Is it enough that they made sense for Londo, though? He was a racial supremacist, and he just plain forgot about Na-toth for years. Yes, Londo was representing a failing empire which he wanted to fix, and drives a lot of the narrative, but was he ever in the right of any argument? The Centauri were a dying people.

His opinion that the Centauri could be something better and more noble than a dying empire holding onto the scraps of old conquest and wallowing in nostalgia for the good old days was right, at least, and you can palpably sense the crushing guilt he has in the couple hours between Emperor Turhan's apology to the Narn and the beginning of the bombing of Quadrant 14 because he's realized how utterly he hosed it

I think someone else said this earlier in the thread: Londo consistently makes the worst decisions in pursuit of a noble goal, while G'Kar consistently makes the best decisions in pursuit of selfish goals

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Mar 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

at that point it's fine art, it's like loving under a classy Currier & Ives lithograph

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

I'm expecting some kind of retrospective documentary, mostly because by process of elimination I'm not sure what else it could be

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I don't remember that specific guy, but B5 was chock full of what I like to call '1994 JC Penney catalog' fashion; especially the first half of the series. I thought it was nostalgic in a weird sort of way.

There's a bunch of little touches on the costume design that give it a weird "retro-future-retro" feel now, like any time you see a civilian in a suit, the jacket has no lapels and the shirt's been given a Nehru collar, but it's the famous '90s boxy suit cut that hasn't been in style in real life for a couple decades now

You can tell a lot of human costumes were stuff grabbed off the rack from Mervyn's and given a few future tweaks

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

Jedit posted:

Good grief, that's a take. McCoy and Spock in Trek were explicitly created to be voices of human compassion and pure reason sitting on Kirk's shoulders to inform his decisions. If there's one thing that Garibaldi isn't, it's compassionate - or logical, for that matter.

the split in B5 is more idealism vs. pragmatism, Sheridan's got people like Delenn and Lorien on one shoulder encouraging him to listen to prophecy and fight the war in the heavens, and Garibaldi and Ivanova on the other shoulder reminding him of all the little people living their daily lives on B5

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 8, 2024

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would expect there to be a lot of latitude to interpret a lot of various tasks to be religious or somehow in the assistance of war.

Now I'm imagining the grey council as like half halachic assembly, half union contract negotiation where they spend weeks hashing out the exact caste-appropriate hand position each caste can use while holding a power drill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 28, 2024