Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Crusade was shown hilariously out of order; there are 5 orders listed on Wikipedia :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It was getting less bad by the end, it may actually have been Good within the next series!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It added some interesting cards to the CCG

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

kaynorr posted:

Keep in mind that this is the same JMS who killed off General Hague because the actor playing him had a scheduling conflict (as a guest star in a two-parter, pretty big deal) with Deep Space 9. Not saying it wasn't fun to do, but JMS does not always take the high road when it comes to the business of making the TV sausage.

Well to be fair that bit of the story was the culmination of General Hague's plot arc, he didn't really have much to do story wise afterwards. And killing him off gave the story a bit more punch - "Important vital guy who's going to fix everything WHOOPS he dead"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

kaynorr posted:

The B5JMS resource isn't searchable as far as I can tell, but if memory serves he made a post or two at the time which was very much "Want to go be on Deep Space Nine? gently caress you, I'm god and I say you're dead now."

Can't say I wouldn't do the same thing in his position, but it provides some context for later clashes with TNT over Cruade.

From the Lurker's guide:

quote:

We had booked Foxworth long in advance. Later, out of the blue, a rep for the actor said that by accident he'd been double-booked on B5 and DS9 for the same period...and even though we had prior claim, because the other was a two-parter, more money, they went for that. One can only wonder when the other offer *really* came in....

The Foxworth bail resulted in a change of about three lines, that's about it. You'll know which lines when you hear them.

We'd booked the actor long, long in advance. At the last minute, he bailed to do a DS9 episode playing, essentially, the same character, despite our having first dibs.
So I killed off the character. Didn't change the story by the smallest measure. May actually have helped, since it raised the stakes in the story right from the start.
Rule #1: Never honk off the writer.

Regarding Hague...it's much harder to hold an actor on a once-in-a-while basis. Every show is hostage to that. It's a reality of life. We don't have contracts with folks who play one or two parts a year. Screen Actors Guild doesn't allow that; you make deals as they come up. You can't stop an actor if he wants to jump ship under those conditions; and if you try, you have an unhappy actor on your set who'll just walk through it because he or she doesn't want to be there.

Re: Foxworth...it was really the only thing to do. I'd created the character *specifically* to have him available for this episode, after which he'd basically fade away while others took up his standard. It was all leading up to this. Without being in this episode, there was nothing more to do with Hague, hence I felt quite comfortable with his fate, it changed nothing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There's no i in Neroon (but there is one in Grey Council?)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Angry Lobster posted:

God, I wish dock worker strikes in real life got resolved as cleanly as in this show.

The people in charge in real life give less of a poo poo than Sinclair does

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

mojo1701a posted:

I totally forgot about Bureau 13. Was there any information about what that was supposed to be? Or did they retcon it to be as stupid as Quantum being a part of Spectre in Spectre?

The Bester books have an essentially identical department of a different name, so it's fair to assume they're the same thing. Or that the Psi Corps is just so full of conspiracies that they can't move without finding five more, which is also possible.

In general the psi corps has been involved in so much shady poo poo that any of it could be explained as being part of B13

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

FInished Season 2. Hahaha, "peace in our times" and ministry of peace this is so over the top. You'd never see stuff like that in the real world!

...oh. :smith:

Are you posting this in 1938

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying this is new. If anything, the US has been living in a propaganda bubble while conducting a global campaign of terror and making alliances with tyrants for a century or so.

Oh, it's happened before, and it'll happen again.

"Peace in our time" is specifically a quote from Chamberlain returning from his meeting with Hitler; it's specifically evoking that I think as well as the general concept.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

MonsieurChoc posted:

I got that, thanks. :)

Just making sure, I have no idea how much that part of British/European history is known in America :)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Edgars is right, but the way he goes about fixing it is very much reminiscent of blaming every Jew for the action of some supposed elite banking cartel.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

The show also really suffers from not feeling free to build up a stock of secondary characters, so things very quickly start feeling empty on this station full of people when the main characters start splitting up. After Talia left, there's no more psychics on the station. Dr. Franklin treats all patients himself, but still somehow has time to act as part of the command staff.

They don't spend enough time building up secondary characters, but

SlothfulCobra posted:

I keep expecting this Zack guy to get offed somehow, because I'm rewatching and have zero memory of him after the Night Watch.

one of the really major ones (Zach spoilers: becomes chief of security in S4, is the last person left on B5 before they blow it up in Sleeping in Light) you just don't remember anything about?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

e X posted:

As for the portrayal of the sides as a grey or black and white conflict, I just finished season 4 on my current rewatch and something that always bugs me is the way the show portraits the loyal Earthforce officers when contrasted with the way Clark's regime. They make it pretty clear that there are horrible war crimes happening, but at the same time, they have way to many officers going on about how they just don't think the military should dictate policy. Which is a giant load of bullshit! That extends to characters like Lochley.

Maybe that is just me, but if you stand idle by while your government commits war crime after war crime, hiding behind protocol or even actively defending that regime against those who want to stop it, you are at least complicit in every atrocity that could have been prevented.

I would ask you if you've been living under a rock for the past however long, but if you had the USA surely would have bombed and tortured you.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

skasion posted:

How necessary would you guys say The Gathering is if I'm trying to introduce someone to the series? I remember the first episode as doing a decent job of introducing everyone but I haven't seen The Gathering in years and years myself so can't recall if there's something big I'm forgetting.

The Gathering doesn't even introduce everyone - only 5 humanoid characters stick on from it to the show proper (Sinclair, Garibaldi, Delenn, G'Kar, Londo) and Delenn is significantly different.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Did someone say "90's sci fi" shortly followed by the word "Lexx"?

No, of course not

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

I thought the Warlock class were the hybrid Shadow/EF ships from the civil war.

That was the "Advanced Omega Class", the Warlock was post-ISA.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burning_Monk posted:

Wasn't there some story about Boxlieter watching the episode years later and going "Oh my father was Kosh and it was a dream?!?" Like he just had no context when he did the scene (which in Hollywood is common I hear).

It's on the commentaries

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Timby posted:

Well, Ian Abercrombie appeared on both shows in the same year...

Elaine has to dance around her boss

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Watched Sleeping in Light today, finishing off the rewatch I started back in March.

It is a little over 20 years since Into the Fire was transmitted (February 1997); Sleeping in Light is set around the same relative time, and yet it has seven of the principal cast survive. In real life that number is only four.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Peter Jurasik is still alive, although Londo was not by this point.

Oh, and Bill Mumy and Pat Tallman but they're not quite so central

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Lochley stuff was an interesting diversion into "What if B5 didn't religiously follow the great man theory of history" (see also Deconstruction of Falling Stars)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Narsham posted:

While poking around, I find myself interested in which rarely-appearing characters made the strongest impression on people. Not thinking Refa and Neroon (with 8 and 7 episodes), but the rarely appearing characters at or below the Zathras level (4 episodes). Zathras, obviously, but who else? There's a lot of small and effective performances. Captain James, for example (new commander of the Agamemnon), or Dr. Lilian Hobbs.

Brother Theo is also only in 3 episodes

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Spoilers aside, In The Beginning is a great introduction to the show. It fills in backstory and introduces a lot of the characters.

It also makes the universe seem a lot smaller, by having half the main cast know eachother a decade earlier

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Narzack posted:

poo poo, man, some motherfucker spoileda major character death on this page

It's impossible to reply to this post without making something that wasn't a spoiler into one

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's nothing like you think. He means "Old age" death, not "oh yeah, he dies in episode X of Season Y". The series has some brief glimpses of the future in the later arcs.

This is what I meant when I said that clarifying would be a spoiler

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not really. Animals can be VERY good at hiding serious illnesses until it's too late.

Don't be rude about the markab

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

Also the plot didn't end in early S4, only the Shadow War. The Shadow War was always intended to end at the end of S4, with the Earth Civil War and Fall of Centauri Prime arcs being S5.

Source for this because JMS said that S4 was supposed to end with Intersections in Real Time, well into the Earth Civil War arc.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

And anything where people want to do it for reasons other than just getting paid - doctors, teachers, firemen, etc.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Plus in season 5, Zack Allen learns absolutely nothing from his him in the Night Watch and goes back to being a space nazi.

I mean he was always a cop

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I didn't miss anything.

That's not what you said in your earlier posts

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tiger, Tiger and The Demolished Man are both great; they manage to elevate themselves above the pulpy style a lot more than, say, Asimov's Foundation trilogy. They both have extremely recognisable backgrounds, though, so if you don't like The Count of Monte Cristo or detective fiction respectively they probably won't be for you so much. (If you like TT/TSMD, read TCOMC for sure)

One thing I really like about TDM is that the twist is there right at the start if you bother to look for it.

NB: don't read Bester's later works. They're pretty bad.

[edit] Tiger Tiger is aka The Stars My Destination

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 19, 2018

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You don't say

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

You can tell it’s fake because Lindeloff would never be able to identify the themes of the Shadow War.

Well, he doesn't so that checks out

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Anything you see in Babylon 5 has a point and a purpose. Unlike other shows, no plotlines are dropped or ignored throughout the entire run. Save for some weird first-season standalone stuff like the guy hunting the Holy Grail.

Well, that's not quite true. There are plenty of potential hooks that never really get followed up on.

Late game spoilers:

You can see how Ironheart's Gift was going to develop into the kind of super-telepath that Lyta became - the stuff about how that trick with Bester shouldn't have worked in A Race Through Dark Places, for example - which got promptly dropped when Thompson left the series.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

B5 is essentially framed as a docudrama of future historical events. The grand shape of things is always given in the past tense, while the specifics of time and descriptions of place are in the present tense.

Some kind of legend, of galactic heroes?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

B5 had a few alternate opening titles during its run but I don't think the DVDs maintain any of them.

The Psi Corps one is still there

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Isn't there also some sort of flow, or fluid dynamics, going on in hyperspace? I remember an episode where they were trying to find someone lost in hyperspace and kept drifting further and further out, but maybe that was just a mission on Freespace 2.
:ohdear:

I mean it's also a mission in Freespace 2

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's conspiracy theory. You don't get magically better writing - about unrelated topics - because you read a treatment for another programme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just because DS9 had good writers who were able to add original work doesn't mean the premise and much of the background wasn't stolen from the series book brought in by JMS before the whole thing was conceived.

Not sure how that relates to TNG getting better