Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Adnor posted:

Just finished The Coming of Shadows. WELP.

"Our last best hope for peace" and still failed. I can't imagine how the reaction of this episode was when it first aired.

I watched it live and it was one of the only occasions I actually had a jaw drop happen. My mom was flipping out on the couch behind me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Adnor posted:

Just finished Season 4.

Fantastic show so far, can see that they thought this was going to be the last season because how the hell do you continue from that.

I think I'm going to watch The Beginning and start Season 5 during the weekend.

IIRC, they originally planned for it to go 5 seasons, but there was some question about that so they tried to wrap up the big stuff at the end of season 4. But then they got a surprise final season 5 so stuff gets a little dragged out in the wrap up. Still good though. Glad you like it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There were a lot of hidden butts in B5

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Londo stealth-adventure game where you balance scheming with avoiding your wives and G'kar.

Your end score only increases while you're watching dancers or gambling.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Or Kosh is just an introvert

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Perfect. On so many levels.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Discovery had so much promise, but that stupid klingon bullshit just killed it.

You know you've messed up star trek when Seth McFarlane's comedy space show is a better star trek than star trek.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Midjack posted:

Someone else said it recently, but the best parody X is itself a good example of X, such as Weird Al songs and Galaxy Quest.

I don't think it's really a parody tho. It's just a comedy take on a TV show format.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Some real judgey people up in here in a thread that includes the first season of babylon 5.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Just wait about 5 years, and we can deepfake a whole remake of the show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

https://twitter.com/i/status/1158835349931479040

If we can do this, we can do ANYTHING.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

You gonna link that one but not this one?

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByMoQ2MJB6Y/

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There are going to be some people who want it. That number is unknown and really kind of unknowable.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No one listens to Zathras

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'm the opposite. I already know the stuff I need to know from the worst episodes, so i'm more likely to skip them.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So, I was about to point out that the actor playing Sheridan is MANY inches shorter than the one playing Sinclair.

However, Sheridan is 6'2" and Sinclair is 6'1".

I never knew Boxleitner was a fuckin giant compared to most actors in hollywood. He just always comes off as being slightly above average height.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also: Voice, Intonation, and emotive range.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Sorry, meant to say it seemed strange to me that they'd live and act exactly as you would as being homeless on Earth. Stereotypically huddled around a space-version of a burning trash barrel.

That's the entire point of having them huddled around space-barrels. They're homeless.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TraderStav posted:

But it's not like they're outside in the elements. Needing a campfire seems really strange on a (presumably) climate controlled space station. I guess the down below could be colder than the rest but just seems too much on the nose that they'd use some magical space orb to generate heat and huddle.

The station is 2.5 million tons, 5 kilometers long. I doubt they climate controlled all of it.

(Of course it would probably need cooling and not heating, as space is a lovely radiator but the theme is B5 is "all alone in the night" which implies coldness)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

kilus aof posted:

I think that would be a universal problem rather than a Babylon 5 specific problem. In all of Outer Colonies and even the home system colonies there probably were people that flew there for work, maybe with corporate backed tickets and then work dried up or they got fired and simply didn't have the money to leave.

I can see this easily happening on mars for example, which from what we hear about it just a big company town, but like, planet sized.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TraderStav posted:

Half way though s02 opener and wow is this a real change of pace in a positive direction. All of season 1 was worth it to launch from this point on here.

E: Callain seems like he would be a goon

The openers and how they evolve over time makes b5 openers some of the best ones for television.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wikipedia has him as "Chief Warrant Officer"

And his uniform has the earth force pin on the collar, and the uniform is the same just a different color.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

e X posted:

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. I mean, besides that I'd still think it is weird that security isn't handled by EarthForce personal directly when everything else is, but I guess you could come up with a reasonable explanation for that (in universe). And I know that most creators tend to play it fast an loose with ranks when it comes to their fictional military, it just always bugged me because Garibaldi is so un-Officer like, but him being an NCO makes sense.

Well, Warrant Officers aren't NCOs. But they're promoted out of the NCO cadre.

As far as why the other security forces aren't military I just figured it's a diplomatic station, having the every day cops be military kind of goes against having B5 be the last best hope for peace.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There was someone in this very thread who had a bunch of VHS copies, recorded off broadcast.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think the teeth thing is just to make it look more like an airlock door. You'd imagine a pressure door would have extra bits and bobs to lock it harder, so they did.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Talking down an alien bioweapon is cool, but the bizarre subplot where all the normal cast talk down to a reporter and complain about how all the news media is just determined to make them look bad was uncomfortable.

This was a very normal feeling in the military when this was made. Since media representation of your average enlisted was someone too stupid to get a real job, and only barely kept from pissing indoors.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you JUST started season 3, remember that elevator. :D

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mira Furlan, Bruce Boxleitner, and Claudia Christian would be just fine reprising their roles.

Joe Keery as Marcus Cole obviously. Known for his hair, good with melee weapons.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Garibaldi - Timothy Olyphant
Ivonava - Cara Gee
Sheridan - Alexander Skarsgard
Bester - Walter Goggins

Comedy Options
Mr Mordin - Ryan Gosling ("What do you want?")
Zathras - Donald Glover

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Oct 15, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

implied sex.

Still mad it took me decades to realize the bit about the dark star it's an anus

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

You’re all starting to sound a lot like Kosh.

~Good~

~one spoiler of perfect beauty~

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm mostly okay with it, aside from the fact that it's entirely a retread of the time David Warner came to B5 looking for the holy grail without really adding much.

I just took it as another look at that episode you are referencing where it turns out he does have a mental health problem

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

It's really not good. Apologies for spoiling it nonetheless though, I thought it was s1 for some reason.

I think there's a tendency to lump all the bad shows into season 1.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

What is that planet that Babylon 5 is near that’s always in the background shots?

This is explained in an upcoming episode.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

Thats why I used it. If you're having trouble understanding my point, Minbari aren't called something other than Minbari. It's just Minbari even between themselves. Klingons are all Klingons et al.

The root of "Human" is the latin word humus, meaning "earth".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

That's what I keep telling myself! I mean TNG Season 1 was pretty atrocious. I'm going to stay the course, but some of these have shaken our confidence. There must have been madness going on behind the scenes.

The difference between Midnight on the Firing Line (s1e1) and Sleeping in the Light (s5e22) is at least 3 times bigger than the difference between Encounter at Farpoint and The Inner Light from TNG. It's a significant change as it goes on.

It's like that time you tried your friend's edibles and you kept snacking on the brownie because you weren't feeling anything then your friend is like "oh yea it's gonna take like an hour to kick in" and you've been eating them for an hour. The ride will be intense and you will think multiple times "Okay, i've peaked" and that will be incorrect.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

Or would Sinclair's new wife continue exploring the dark, outer reaches of the galaxy and mysteriously vanish on Khazaduum to provide the same hook that Sheridan had?

This is probably the right answer. (s3 spoiler) the setups are almost identical. Both women were basically frontier adventurers. Both poked at the Shadows. The only difference between the two is that Sakai and Sinclair were split before she was lost.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vavrek posted:

S2, mid-late spoiler: Given how much he talks about it being two years since his wife died, when he first really talks about that at length, I was struck by the fact that it's the same exact length of time since his last orange. Maybe he responded to grief by avoiding it, staying on his ship and at work (away from fruit), which would explain why it's still so raw for him when he confronts Morden.

IIRC Sheridan was basically shuffled off onto that ship and sent out into the hinterlands specifically to get rid of him. It wasn't a choice so much as being sent to coventry.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's interesting how the spacebattles of B5 are a much more realistic affair without any energy shields. Just a bunch of missiles ramming directly into metal. I do think it's weird that there's no lifeboat deals to escape dying, exploding ships, but I guess it's more particles to animate. It would've been neat to see some plots about POWs or targeting survivors with weapons or negotiations over recovering survivors from battlefields.

I think it fits better without them. When you see cruisers getting shot up it's not the slow slug fest. It's "pew pew pew now i'm dead"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RedSnapper posted:

And Newtonian physics on the starfuries. My favorite bit is form S2E22 (Fall of night) when they fight the Centauri warship and some furies cut their engines, turn, and keep drive-by shooting the ship.
Senn here at 3:36:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6GhW1dFDVs

It's entertaining how he specifically calls for a TOT strike but no one either advised the cgi team or explained what the term was.