Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viivac
Jan 5, 2005

I need a cheaper hobby

Data Graham posted:

"Born to the Purple"—nice, feels like a Trek TOS story. I'm a little confused, though: I'd gotten the impression that B5 was a highly serialized show, with a long-running story divided into little chunks in the vein of latter DS9. But it feels a lot more episodic here, I guess more like, well, early DS9. Is that an emergent thing that comes about later?
You'll find "stand alone" episodes all through the first 3 seasons, however as the seasons go along they get fewer and fewer. In season 1 there's about 15 or so more or less self contained episodes but with a lot of stuff that will be referenced later scattered in all plot lines, and for all characters. In season 2, the stand alones fall to something like 8-10, while still containing many smaller things either tying into the plot or character exposition and character development.

In season 3 this number falls to something like 3-5 episodes, where you can count them as "stand alone", while still useful to watch for small things and references. In season 4 there's not a single stand alone episode, perhaps with the exception of the very last, but not in a way you would think. Season 5 also contains a very miniscule number of stand alone episodes, 1 or 2 I think.

It's a very slow build up and it would never ever have been possible to make today. Season 1's name is Signs And Portens, which will tell you quite a bit as the season moves along.

Yes there's bad acting, yes there's very rough CGI and rough sets in season 1. There are some bad episodes overall, but oh boy does it improve.

Babylon 5 is my favourite TV series of all time. Just stick with it.

Viivac fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU