Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

CainFortea posted:

Call me a fool but I think this is the announcement of the reimagining. Cause not only is the image a reimagining of the original but he mentioned "it can't be for the reimagining"

I swear he said before this is not connected to the reboot at all. I'd like to be wrong though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My safe bet is audio drama. Out there one is animated series.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Holy poo poo my out there guess was right(ish).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah. If it's already finished I doubt they're going to sit on it all that long.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I hope Bester's in it. Koenig did some voice work in the last season of Picard and still sounds great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It was so long ago I can't remember, but yeah Newkosh does not exactly come across well from jump. I was surprised when it went full on oh these guys are just as bad or worse than the Shadows though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Huh. Not at all what I was imagining.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Summer release? Do they mean 2024?

No. It's not a production announcement, the movie's finished.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Narsham posted:

My assumption is that they're going to see how the animated movie performs before making any decisions.

Yeah, I agree with this. It'd be real stupid to make a decision one way or another before you release a movie and find out how much interest there is in the project.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Not exactly. He said Mumy insisted that Lennier is secretly in love with Delenn and JMS was like "are you sure you want me to take this path?" and Mumy said yes, so JMS obliged. I don't think Mumy understood he was dealing with a D&D Wish spell situation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Trailer tomorrow. Tiny clip:

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1669011815446249475

Looks pretty good in motion to me.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Well, it didn't seem like Shadows themselves are particularly tough. Sheridan fights his way out of the room on Z'ha'dum with just a PPG, and that one gets killed by the Centauri guards just spraying it. Vorlons were a lot more personally imposing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Torrannor posted:

I just question where they would come from in the first place. Two seemed to always oversee Morden, but why would they come aboard B5 like this instead of blowing it up like they did in the bad B4/B5 future? I know it's a small nitpick, but it's the only thing bugging me about the teaser (no pun intended).

Didn't they board the station in the bad future? Garibaldi seemed to be fighting them. This is supposed to be like universe jumping stuff, so I'm guessing that's what we're seeing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Looks great. Please don't be Legend of the Rangers. :pray:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think the point was that looters were just showing up in whatever and blowing up the jump gate ended that. Yeah there are ships that can make their own jump points, but those are major high-tech ships, not junky haulers that go graverobbing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Londo's core characteristic is he's a patriot who puts the Centauri above everything. It leads him to do horrible things, but it also makes him willing to sacrifice himself for his people. It's totally consistent and great writing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ConfusedUs posted:

The choreography of the space battles is top notch. They didn’t have a lot of pixels or polygons to spare, but they made up for it with very well-constructed scenes

Yeah. The artistry is great and makes it so the lack of technical quality really doesn't matter much, especially after the first season.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wish they'd done something more with how terrifying hyperspace is in B5. There were the bits about getting lost but it also looks like that. Freaky poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That gets cited a lot and I think is JMS' reasoning for PPGs but doesn't actually make any sense. We see the ships and B5 get hit by ship weapons that don't just go through the hull, no small arm is going to do poo poo. And even if it did somehow pierce the hull you just patch it up when you get a chance. A bullet size hole isn't a big deal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SlothfulCobra posted:

No idea what's supposed to be different about the big rifle version that the bring out for the more serious fighting.

A longer gun that you can shoulder is easier to aim accurately than a pistol. That'd be true for energy weapons just like with modern guns, unless it has some kind of smartlink autoaim thing that makes it irrelevant. Presumably since it's bigger it would have more power and ammo capacity too. Probably could fire larger and more rapidly accelerated plasma globs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I believe all the book stories are JMS approved and considered canon though. All of them are long out of print but you can find them on the high seas. I've never gotten around to reading them but IIRC the Centauri, Technomage, and Psi Corps ones are well thought of.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I said come in! posted:

How many doctors were there at any one time on Babylon 5? I was just thinking how Dr. Franklin being the only? doctor to care for 250,000 people had to have been brutal as gently caress.

They never gave a number but Franklin was just the chief of the department and head of Medlab 1. There were at least five Medlabs and staffs for them, lots of doctors and nurses and such.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hey, related to recent discussion. I think this is the first time I've seen JMS explain part of Lady Morella's prophecy.

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1685108066759643136

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

As long as you buy it when you get the chance. Those sales are important.

And stream it, they count the watch numbers.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Video game rear end self destruct system.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I think people tend to A) remember the Byron stuff being worse than it is--it's not good but it's not that bad and B) remember there being a lot more of it than there actually is.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They'd be in the floor which isn't very handy, but the main reason is the station has multiple hull layers. The parts of the station intended for habitation are inside the inner hull. If you had a window you'd just be able to look into downbelow.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

JMS has said it would be a complete reinterpretation. He also said that the cartoon alternate universe is different, but if they get to do more animated stuff he'd like to set it there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Minbari were part of the Babylon project so I don't think it's super weird to think there'd be worker caste as part of the station crew.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Well, given the intelligence of their ships they probably don't need much in the way of crews. I can imagine most Vorlon ships only having one or two of them aboard.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I watched it ages ago, my memory of Lost Tales is one of them was pretty good and the other one sucked rear end.

I've been watching Crusade for the first time. Good lord what a weird show. I can see why it got cancelled, though occasionally it's brilliant. The X-Files episode is nuts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Clouseau posted:

It is a bummer we never got to see the later arc stuff he had planned out for it, because it does sound pretty interesting.

What was the plan? I know the plague was going to be cured relatively early and then the show would do other stuff, but I don't know any details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Q_res posted:

That last universe "our" Sheridan was in before Delenn rescues him, with Lochley and Sinclair present as Earth Force ship Captains. That's the universe the reboot is going to take place in if it ever gets off the ground, right?

No. JMS said if they do more cartoons he's thinking about exploring that one, but the reboot is a completely different thing.