Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Welp. Astrolabe ban cost us a few more local paper players. It was enough to get the LGS to cancel Pauper events entirely and go back to holding Commander events twice a week.

Closest paper Pauper event now is over four hours drive by car. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

BGrifter posted:

Welp. Astrolabe ban cost us a few more local paper players. It was enough to get the LGS to cancel Pauper events entirely and go back to holding Commander events twice a week.

Closest paper Pauper event now is over four hours drive by car. RIP

Uh, sounds like your local pauper scene was full of babies if banning a broken card was enough to get them to drop a format.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Cactrot posted:

Uh, sounds like your local pauper scene was full of babies if banning a broken card was enough to get them to drop a format.

It wasn’t on super solid ground to begin with. People were upset after dropping $40 CAD for a playset of Skreds and a bunch more on Snowy lands.

It only took losing a small handful of players for the LGS owner to bail. He was reluctant to run Pauper events in the first place. The problem is more our terrible local game stores than the format. But it sucks nonetheless.

Edit: You’re not wrong to say our local paper MTG scene is overrun with babies. It’s... not great.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Oct 26, 2019

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
If a 50 cent card banning makes you abandon the entire format in a huff you’re probably an rear end in a top hat anyways.

Skred and snow lands are still good. You just don’t get to play a broken deck. You just get stuck with a top tier deck.

If oko got banned Monday I’d be pretty loving livid that I’d spent $30-$40 each for it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
Edit: Honestly the rest is unnecessary fluff and my disappointment. This is the real meat of it:

Really the bottom line is the LGS owner was happy for an excuse to say "Well, we tried it and it didn't work, back to Commander!".

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 26, 2019

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Izzet Delver has been a deck for years, you don't need to play Astrolabe to get into it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

GoutPatrol posted:

Izzet Delver has been a deck for years, you don't need to play Astrolabe to get into it.

I agree! The pieces are all useful for other stuff. But they nerdraged it up. :shrug:

Hell, they could even sell them online and get a good chunk of what they paid back.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
to be fair astrolabe should have been banned in July and then maybe people wouldn't have been heavily incentivized to switch from basics to snow basics at a huge cost relative to the rest of the format

also it really pisses me off that they went for a half-measure ban, inexplicably leaving Ephemerate and Flicker around, meaning they are going to need to ban stuff either shortly before or shortly after the Format Championships, literally the most important Pauper tournament with an enormous first place prize

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Hellsau posted:

to be fair astrolabe should have been banned in July and then maybe people wouldn't have been heavily incentivized to switch from basics to snow basics at a huge cost relative to the rest of the format

also it really pisses me off that they went for a half-measure ban, inexplicably leaving Ephemerate and Flicker around, meaning they are going to need to ban stuff either shortly before or shortly after the Format Championships, literally the most important Pauper tournament with an enormous first place prize

Honestly you're probably right. Had they banned it back then it would have happened before our LGS started running weekly Pauper events.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

Are you just back on your old list but with Ephemerates? I don't think Mystic Sanctuary can make the cut without Astrolabe right?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Flea Bargain posted:

Are you just back on your old list but with Ephemerates? I don't think Mystic Sanctuary can make the cut without Astrolabe right?

There's possibly a blue version of Tron that runs like 2 Sanctuary 9-10 Islands and a pile of Tron lands, but that version would just lose to Stompy. I should be playing more Pauper and finding an optimal Tron list but...eh.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

yeaaaaaaah tron is as good as Drake was

bold fuckin' statement but there just aren't enough people who can play Tron because it takes even more time/clicks than Drake did, so people can't even try to prepare for it or they'll get owned by the tremendously less effective but still good midrange/control decks that people could play if they're too slow to play Tron.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah feels bad to mull to 4 to not get that Pauper Cube trophy. Always good to update this thread that some Pauper stuff is still fun.

edit: next league was going to end with me attacking for lethal with and we both had 0 cards in library

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 15, 2020

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
https://www.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/articles/pauper-storm-is-back/

Creature (26)

2Deadshot Minotaur
4Street Wraith
4Tinder Wall
4Drannith Healer
4Drannith Stinger
4Horror of the Broken Lands
4Imposing Vantasaur
Sorcery (3)

3Land Grant
Instant (18)

4Cabal Ritual
2Dark Ritual
4Manamorphose
4Reaping the Graves
4Songs of the Damned
Artifact (6)

4Chromatic Star
2Lotus Petal
Land (7)

4Barren Moor
3Forest
Cards 60

Look at this fuckin thing

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Looks amusing. But is it good?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgLrXjnKQPY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkOSIaWgfMM&t=1778s

It's good

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

owns

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Deck is gas.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Been watching a bit of Caleb Gannon's stuff now that I am aware of him and he has a really fun looking Soul Sisters build. I kinda want to build it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KdQ0wJETo&t=3s

Also, looked at MTGGoldfish and apparently MBC is one of the most popular decks in the meta. What changed that made it popular again? I want to build it too.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Framboise posted:

Also, looked at MTGGoldfish and apparently MBC is one of the most popular decks in the meta. What changed that made it popular again? I want to build it too.

looking at mtgtop8 all of the recent results are from tournaments organized by gatherling.com, a website i've never heard of. i checked one at random and there were 80 entrants so they're decent sized. zero recent placings in official mtgo tournaments though so it's probably just performed well against a more casual field.

it's not super terrible if you want to build it, it's just suboptimal. if you like the playstyle and are ok with a 40% winrate then go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Framboise posted:

Been watching a bit of Caleb Gannon's stuff now that I am aware of him and he has a really fun looking Soul Sisters build. I kinda want to build it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KdQ0wJETo&t=3s

Caleb is my guy! Me makes some amazingly weird and really fun decks. His decks are what I want pauper to be like. People coming up with weird combos you don't expect that are actually effective.

It's more fun to see all the weirdness people come up with, rather than just tweaking a top 8 net deck.