Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Welcome to the best eternal format around, Pauper! This is the thread to discuss magic's cheapest entry point. This thread is inclusive of all versions of Pauper, including Pauper Standard, Pauper Legacy, Pauper Modern, and Pauper Commander.

Why play Pauper?

Cheap, cheap, and cheap! The entry point for Pauper is way less than that of any other format. Many viable decks cost $10-$20 dollars and no deck in the format is over $100.

What about Online?

Pauper is very popular online and cost even less. Here is a list of current meta and prices: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#online.

What is Pauper?

Pauper is a Magic Online format in which all cards used must have been printed at the common rarity in a Magic Online set or product. Common promo cards are only legal if the card has been printed at the common rarity in a set or product. Other than that, the usual rules for Constructed decks apply (a minimum deck size of 60 cards in the main deck, an optional 15-card sideboard, and so on). If a common version of a particular card was ever released on Magic Online, any versions of that card printed at other rarities are also legal in this format.
The MTGO-Pauper banned list is: (http://magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/pauper)
Treasure Cruise
Cloudpost
Cranial Plating
Empty the Warrens
Frantic Search
Grapeshot
Invigorate
Temporal Fissure
Cloud of Faeries
Note: Paper Pauper has no official banlist, so it's up to your playgroup and/or tournament organizer.

^^^Thanks to reddit for above^^^

A great resource in the community: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pauper/

Feel free to comment or PM with suggestions for this thread/info to add to the OP.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Decks

Pauper Online Meta
Pauper Paper Meta

Home Brews:
Give me your list!

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 30, 2017

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Reserved.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Just getting into the format and learning about how pricey random cards are online. Gorilla Shaman, Pyroblast, and Hydroblast were all pretty hilarious moments for me.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Vital Signs posted:

Just getting into the format and learning about how pricey random cards are online. Gorilla Shaman, Pyroblast, and Hydroblast were all pretty hilarious moments for me.

Daze was the worst, pre-reprint it was something silly like $25-30. I think Shaman is the most expensive of the bunch right now. The blasts were around 5 but dipped hard at the reprint announcement online and have been slowly working their way back up to where they were after EMA had such poor value online.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
If anyone wants to play Pauper leagues online, just play UR Drake. People keep playing decks that just lose to a Bolt or two, or that can't outgrind the blue value engine, so you get to beat everything. Most opposing Drake players also don't play the mirror well, such as just tapping out for a Mulldrifter on turn 5 and allowing you to combo safely.

Basically UR Drake is the best way to go infinite+ right now. You could probably play a different deck for fun, just don't be surprised or salty if you can't beat Drake in the leagues.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Hellsau posted:

If anyone wants to play Pauper leagues online, just play UR Drake. People keep playing decks that just lose to a Bolt or two, or that can't outgrind the blue value engine, so you get to beat everything. Most opposing Drake players also don't play the mirror well, such as just tapping out for a Mulldrifter on turn 5 and allowing you to combo safely.

Basically UR Drake is the best way to go infinite+ right now. You could probably play a different deck for fun, just don't be surprised or salty if you can't beat Drake in the leagues.
I'm getting a league together of people I know from when I worked at a card shop in college. I think we are going to have 12-16 people. I put together UR Drake, because it only cost me $10 (no blasts or shamans in the SB though). We'll see how the first month goes, but if it is just everyone playing drake decks we may ban it. So, I guess the question is what deck(s) are the best without drake?

wigglin
Dec 19, 2007

I'm thinking about putting together a couple pauper decks to play when my gf and I get bored. What's a fun matchup? We're just casual players so it doesn't have to be tier 1 stuff, just fun.

What about Affinity vs. Stompy? Both of those look pretty fun. I don't know how they match up with one another though.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Drake vs Drake. Forever.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

Do you think Drake will survive another b&r announcement?

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Dehtraen posted:

Nope, and good riddance.

I play a decent amount of pauper online, and typically split time between either Izzet Blitz or MBC, which are both drastically different deck types. Izzet Blitz can be super fun but it's absolutely a glass cannon and gets completely wrecked by removal. However, pulling off a turn 3 kill is so unbelievably satisfying. MBC is an absolute bastard (Chittering Rats will ruin your day if you're trying to draw gas), but not really up there with tier 1 decks in terms of power.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked - WotC are really, really dumb. I certainly hope they ban Drake and Delver at the same time, because the meta before Drake also wasn't entirely healthy, but they'll probably ban Drake this September, Delver will hit 30% of the meta and then they'll ban Delver after like a year.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

Hopefully it'll get hit hard with a ban.

Look, i play the deck. It isnt unbeatable. But it is incredibly oppressive and unhealthy for the format at large.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Vital Signs posted:

I'm getting a league together of people I know from when I worked at a card shop in college. I think we are going to have 12-16 people. I put together UR Drake, because it only cost me $10 (no blasts or shamans in the SB though). We'll see how the first month goes, but if it is just everyone playing drake decks we may ban it. So, I guess the question is what deck(s) are the best without drake?

Not that they even approach tier 1, but I run White Weenie and Nightsky Mimic Extort as my main Pauper decks. I also have Delver Fiend, but I l'm kind of down on it at the moment (not finding it as much fun as the other decks). I also built BG Tortured Existence Dredge pre-KTK, but haven't updated it since Angler was printed. I should look into that - it was fun for a while.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Death of Rats posted:

Not that they even approach tier 1, but I run White Weenie and Nightsky Mimic Extort as my main Pauper decks. I also have Delver Fiend, but I l'm kind of down on it at the moment (not finding it as much fun as the other decks). I also built BG Tortured Existence Dredge pre-KTK, but haven't updated it since Angler was printed. I should look into that - it was fun for a while.

TE Dredge is really, really fun that unfortunately feels like you are racing a soap bubble. It's a grindy deck that shits itself if graveyard or enchantment removal look at it sideways, and doesn't Just Win to reward the vulnerability.

That said it's my go to "reasons I love Pauper" rando deck.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Pete Zah posted:

I'm thinking about putting together a couple pauper decks to play when my gf and I get bored. What's a fun matchup? We're just casual players so it doesn't have to be tier 1 stuff, just fun.

What about Affinity vs. Stompy? Both of those look pretty fun. I don't know how they match up with one another though.
The cool part is the core of any deck is pretty cheap, so you guys can have a few different put together so you don't get bored with a matchup. Affinity and Stompy seems like a good starting point too. Have fun!

Death of Rats posted:

Those decks look super fun/cool. One thing I really like so far with pauper is all the different decks/home brews that are out there and have a decent chance of winning. Angler is such a sick card, what are you thinking for an updated list?

PJOmega posted:

Hopefully it'll get hit hard with a ban.

Look, i play the deck. It isnt unbeatable. But it is incredibly oppressive and unhealthy for the format at large.
I agree. I've lost with my UR build plenty of times, but when I win... I win big and it is insane how unfair it is.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 29, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey do you guys hate Peregrine Drake? Yes? Too bad I don't have anything for you. If you instead want to beat up all the decks people are playing to try to beat UR Drake and failing, how about UW Drake?

http://pastebin.com/eFuVz9SY

Familiars let you cheat on mana earlier, Stonehorn Dignitary plus Archaeomancer is an instant win combo against a large amount of the field, and other than that it's just Drake which has proven to be overpowered. Basically you are much worse in the mirror game one due to no Counterspell, and worse postboard due to no Pyroblast. You're also worse against Teachings since those white cards are really bad. On the other hand, Stonehorn Dignitary makes all those creature decks like Bogles and Stompy significantly easier to beat and makes Affinity find Atog + Fling which gives you a lot of time, and Lone Missonary plus Hydroblast and Stonehorn make Burn, RDW and Goblins trivial post-board. Plus, Familiar led to two different turn 4 combo wins, and that feels pretty filthy. Dignitary also helps against the fast Ulamog's Crusher decks, since it gives you something to do against a turn 4 Crusher.

I've gone 4-1, 5-0, 4-1 with this deck, and it's performed exactly as expected. Lost to UR Drake and felt very disadvantaged against multiple game 1 Counterspells and game 2 Pyroblasts, lost to Delver off a turn 3 Delver blindflip into a Counterspell and drawing 9 lands 9 spells with no ability to draw out the Counterspell. Beat a UR Drake due to just knowing the mirror better. Crushed a bunch of Stompy and Bogles and Affinity. If you're tired of winning every UR Drake mirror because the opponent just taps all five of their mana for a Drake, gets countered and you combo win next turn, this deck is for you!

You can't fit Counterspell in the deck because the manabase is really bad. You can cut the Familiars, swap the Vestiges out and just play white for only Stonehorn and sideboard cards, but I'd rather just play mono-blue at that point. Going Esper isn't great because you don't need more Familiars, stretching the manabase isn't worth it, and you don't need something like Reaping the Graves to outgrind people when you're already playing a bunch of 2-for-1 creatures. There's a chance that there's some sort of Jeskai Drake out there, where you just play red maindeck for Bolts and side into Stonehorn/Pyroblast, and that's what I'll try out next. Maybe some sort of Jeskai Drake Tron. Dignitary has been a game winner so far.

If you don't want to play Drake, see you in January!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

If you don't want to play Drake, see you in January!

I've done a bunch of leagues this week and people seem to be adjusting to drake a bit. I see mono-blue delver and green 1-drop aggro more than I do Drake combo. It does seem to be pushing all of the midrange value decks out of the format though, except for mono-black, which I don't really get since the deck seems awful vs. drake.

Here's a deck I built, I don't know how good it is but I've been winning 60% of my matches or so with it. Been winning some sick rear end draft commons from treasure chests.

Deck: Dmir Trinket Control

//Main
1 Capsize
1 Cavern Harpy
3 Chainer's Edict
3 Counterspell
4 Dimir Guildgate
3 Disfigure
4 Dismal Backwater
2 Duress
2 Evincar's Justice
2 Evolving Wilds
3 Executioner's Capsule
2 Gurmag Angler
5 Island
1 Mortuary Mire
4 Mulldrifter
2 Negate
4 Preordain
4 Sea Gate Oracle
2 Seat of the Synod
2 Swamp
1 Tragic Slip
3 Trinket Mage
2 Vault of Whispers

//Sideboard
1 Chainer's Edict
1 Counterspell
2 Diabolic Edict
2 Dispel
1 Duress
1 Evincar's Justice
2 Negate
1 Relic of Progenitus
2 Remove Soul
1 Tanglebloom
1 Viridian Longbow

Display deck statistics

Would not mind some critiques or suggestions for Trinket Mage tech.

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 21, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

People always have and always will play mono-black even though it's terrible and doesn't have good match-ups against anything, let alone Drake.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
How do non-black decks deal with Bogles?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Either sideboard hate (Standard Bearer or Serene Heart are pretty brutal) or a combo kill since Bogles can't interact at all. Some decks like Tron run a bunch of fog effects.

Also like Modern, a lot of people's Bogles plan is "hope you don't play against it".

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

People always have and always will play mono-black even though it's terrible and doesn't have good match-ups against anything, let alone Drake.

Yeah basically this. I played against MBC twice with that UW Drake deck, a deck with 8 maindeck cards that just don't do anything (Familiars just eat removal, Stonehorn doesn't matter) and it just isn't a winnable matchup for MBC or any deck trying to do something similar. If you're trying to outgrind someone playing twelve 2-for-1 creatures, Compulsive Research, free 2/3 fliers and a combo kill you just won't win.

PJOmega posted:

Bogles loses to itself. It needs so many things to win -

A) Green and White mana, at least two, three if Mask or Cloak are involved
B) A hexproof creature
C) An Armor or Mask
D) A source of trample
E) A lifelink source if racing

I mean if the Bogles deck hits perfect they'll win turn four, but it's not consistent. Drake can just lose turn four when playing against Bogles, but most of the time the Bogles deck needs time to use Abundant Growths and Manamorphose to cycle through and find the enchantment they need, or get slowed down by tapped lands, or just never finds a source of trample and just get chump blocked once or twice and get comboed out.

Also the sideboard cards against Bogles are just brutal. It's basically impossible to win against something like an Aura Flux or Serene Heart or CoP:Green, and even stuff like Electrickery can be a massive blowout if the cards come out right. Basically,

little munchkin posted:

Also like Modern, a lot of people's Bogles plan is "hope you don't play against it".

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 21, 2016

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Thanks guys. I'm trying to put together a set of (non-drake) Pauper decks that can play against each other sans sideboard without being utterly broken. I run Drake and before that UB Teachings so Boggles has never really been a big issue to me.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Please do not sideboard the card "Relic of Progenitus" in against Peregrine Drake combo decks. It will more often than not be actively harmful to your gameplan. Frequently, people will play it, then hold up a mana for multiple turns without cracking the drat thing, and when they finally get to pop the Relic to eat a Ghostly Flicker, the Drake player just plays another goddamn Flicker, because they've seen 35 cards or whatever. I just got out of a game against UB Teachings where game 3 they played a turn 1 Relic that did worse than nothing. They started game three at under 5 minutes on their clock. They were using the Relic to clear my graveyard out, while I was just using counterspells to force through 2-for-1 creatures to grind them out. As my creatures started dying, I would exile them to the Relic, because why not? It's not like I play a Reaping the Graves. A good number of turns later, after I have four creatures exiled from Relic tapping and a reasonable amount of power on the board, my opponent casts Mystical Teachings to tutor for Crypt Incursion.

So they paid a mana, discarded a card, and paid twelve life. I killed them with the combo. That is not a good magic card! That is a bad magic card! Don't loving side in graveyard hate against Drake decks, because they're just going to draw twenty more cards than you and still combo you out.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
I've been working on an Eggs style deck ever since Reckless Fireweaver was spoiled. Here's the version of have currently.

Creatures (12)
4 Disciple of the Vault
4 Etherium Sculptor
4 Reckless Fireweaver

Spells (16)
4 Faithless Looting
4 Galvanic Blast
2 Ideas Unbound
2 Scrapyard Salvo
4 Thoughtcast

Artifacts (20)
4 Lotus Petal
4 Chromatic Sphere
4 Chromatic Star
4 Conjurer's Bauble
4 Pyrite Spellbomb

Lands (12)
4 Great Furnace
4 Seat of the Synod
4 Vault of Whispers

The deck is OK. It seems to be missing some consistency. When it goes off it really can stack the damage. However it can also just durdle without really doing anything. Counter magic really is a problem for the deck. Any feedback is appreciated.

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 21, 2016

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Please do not sideboard the card "Relic of Progenitus" in against Peregrine Drake combo decks. It will more often than not be actively harmful to your gameplan. Frequently, people will play it, then hold up a mana for multiple turns without cracking the drat thing, and when they finally get to pop the Relic to eat a Ghostly Flicker, the Drake player just plays another goddamn Flicker, because they've seen 35 cards or whatever. I just got out of a game against UB Teachings where game 3 they played a turn 1 Relic that did worse than nothing. They started game three at under 5 minutes on their clock. They were using the Relic to clear my graveyard out, while I was just using counterspells to force through 2-for-1 creatures to grind them out. As my creatures started dying, I would exile them to the Relic, because why not? It's not like I play a Reaping the Graves. A good number of turns later, after I have four creatures exiled from Relic tapping and a reasonable amount of power on the board, my opponent casts Mystical Teachings to tutor for Crypt Incursion.

So they paid a mana, discarded a card, and paid twelve life. I killed them with the combo. That is not a good magic card! That is a bad magic card! Don't loving side in graveyard hate against Drake decks, because they're just going to draw twenty more cards than you and still combo you out.

Relic lets you tap down low during your turn without having to worry about dying to the combo kill. Seems pretty bad in teachings though since the deck operates at instant speed anyways.

I agree it's not great, but of course it's not great against Drake combo. If there was a card that was good against multiple resolved mulldrifters than I would be playing that card instead.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Well you can call me Mr. Only Idiot then, my White Weenie opponent that I beat twice in a row, because Drake is too goddamn good. I've gone 4-1 and 5-0 with this deck:

Instead of red removal, this deck just tries to combo out faster by using cantrips to setup Coiling Oracle flipping lands into play, and going for the combo before the opponent can mount a reasonable offense or defense. The fetchland manabase enables Brainstorms to shuffle away useless cards for a particular matchup, or shuffle away the third card from a Ponder, while also providing more support for the Oracle. This deck doesn't have an actual win condition aside from beating with creatures, but it has a Gigadrowse to tap the opponent down, then it can make lots of mana and Capsize the opponent's board away, and it can just put three Counterspells into its hand by looping Mancers and lock the opponent out. It takes a long time, but it's effective and efficient cardwise, if poorly time efficient. Since the deck is already playing a bunch of situational one-ofs, I don't think it can fit something like a Compulsive Research. It's already running only three Mulldrifters since it has Oracles to ensure that the Drake/Mancer/Flicker combo is actually lethal, and I'd rather have the fourth Mulldrifter over the first Compulsive.

This version of the deck is better in the UR Drake mirror game 1, and worse game 2, since it can ramp out faster than the opponent using Oracle and combo first, and it has Counterspells just like the UR deck does, and Capsize on a bounceland is usually game-ending. On the other hand, Pyroblast is really good, much better than Dispel, so post-board Gigadrowse and Capsize have to do a lot of work. The Moment's Peace(s) make matchups like White Weenie, Stompy and Bogles significantly easier, in addition to the Oracles helping the deck just combo faster, but unfortunately the Delver matchup is significantly worse without removal or Pyroblast, so this deck is going back on the shelf. It's just too stupid losing matches simply because in games 1 and 3 the opponent is playing first and just goes Delver blindflip counter counter counter oops you're dead.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Card Kingdom's next Pauper tournament is running the MTGO ban list plus the usual suspects and Drake banned as well. What should I run in a no-drake meta? Would love to play Teachings but opponents play slow as hell against the deck and closing out games quickly is tough when people don't concede and just start playing for the draw.

Thoughts? I'm pretty much comfortable playing everything other than Affinity. Last tournament there were a lot of Drake decks, prior ones I ran into a lot of mono white w/ soul sisters and mono black.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Card Kingdom's next Pauper tournament is running the MTGO ban list plus the usual suspects and Drake banned as well. What should I run in a no-drake meta? Would love to play Teachings but opponents play slow as hell against the deck and closing out games quickly is tough when people don't concede and just start playing for the draw.

Thoughts? I'm pretty much comfortable playing everything other than Affinity. Last tournament there were a lot of Drake decks, prior ones I ran into a lot of mono white w/ soul sisters and mono black.

Just run Delver. The card Delver of Secrets leads to too many free wins to not just play it in a Drake-free environment. You'll probably want to run a good number of Bonesplitters if you expect MBC and stuff, since it turns all your dorks into sizable threats.

and then hopefully they'll ban Delver and we can go back to playing other colors.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Knowing the local meta there I would be a little worried about running just mono u delver but i think I could swing UB for peace of mind, will have to ht up MTG Pulse review some lists and do some testing

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Knowing the local meta there I would be a little worried about running just mono u delver but i think I could swing UB for peace of mind, will have to ht up MTG Pulse review some lists and do some testing

If you're expecting a bunch of MBC, reducing the number of threats you have and making your threats worse against their removal doesn't seem great. One deck has a bunch of cheap weenies that can carry a Bonesplitter and have additional effects that give you value like the Faeries and Ninja, and the other has a 5/5 that gets Edicted. It's also way better to be playing a bunch of fliers and Spellstutter Sprites against White Weenie than some ground fatties and removal.

Of course you could just play Teachings and beat MBC and White Weenie all day long.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I really should just play teachings, but some sort of faster build that can close out the game a lot quicker.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

I really should just play teachings, but some sort of faster build that can close out the game a lot quicker.

Creature-based Teachings is great, either using Anglers as a quick clock, or Oracles/Mulldrifters for value, or going full on combo finish by having Chittering Rats, Mnemonic Wall and a Ghostly Flicker to lock the opponent out of a draw step while also providing some value creatures, and you can have a Capsize to bounce the opponent's board.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Yo pauper goons, I just had a crazy thought - is Rhystic Study just a mirror breaker for Drake decks? It's a must-counter threat that comes down early, requires no more input and just taxes the opponent forever. Any counter war results in you drawing lots of cards or getting a massive mana advantage, and the opponent is obligated to find a Pyroblast fast or it will just put the game out of reach for them. I'd test it myself but Studies are like 3 tix.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Play UR Drake, get all the chests, get nothing in the chests, repeat. I got 80 Play Points which is 10 more than I would have gotten with the old system, a Solemn Simulacrum invention which is selling for 5 tix and being bought for 2.5 tix, and nothing else. Nice system, WotC. Solemn Simulacrum would be a sick card in UR Drake, too. I tried adding it to my deck but it wouldn't let me join a league :(

There's gotta be something going on, I've never felt more advantaged in Magic than with this deck since never played Caw Blade. It's much more ubiquitous than Twin or Pod were in Modern, and significantly more powerful compared to everything else in the format, and there isn't any good sideboard cards to bring in against Drake. That last match was against UG Land Destruction where I countered a Sylvan Ranger (I thought they were on Temur Tokens) and walked a bounceland into Temporal Spring and still won because Drake is a stupid deck.

also yet again I played against someone who brought in Relic of Progenitus and proceeded to pay five mana and discard a card to accomplish nothing, nice work Stompy opponent.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The only "reliable" counter I can figure to jam into non-drake decks is Faerie Macabre, and that still isn't great.

It'd be fantastic in Dead Dog except that Dead Dog is a fragile joke of a deck that I so desperately want to be good.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

The only "reliable" counter I can figure to jam into non-drake decks is Faerie Macabre, and that still isn't great.

It'd be fantastic in Dead Dog except that Dead Dog is a fragile joke of a deck that I so desperately want to be good.

Faerie Macabre, again, only deals with the first Archaeomancer trigger or eats the first Ghostly Flicker. That's not worth spending a card on. If there were something like Scavenging Ooze or Withered Wretch, maybe, but you just cannot afford to spend mana and cards guarding against one triggered ability from your opponent, when they're very capable of just going turn 5 Drake, Drake, Flicker both for 12 mana, Archaeomancer targeting Flicker, and then play a second Flicker once you've blown the graveyard removal spell you've spent resources on.

When a Burn deck goes turn 1 Relic, turn 2 Insolent Neonate which gets bolted, and then waits until turn 12 to pop the Relic, they can't win because they're playing cards that don't do anything against a deck that, if they trade one of their cards for one of your cards seven times, you'll be left with nothing and they'll still have seven cards in hand! That was my opponent's line, and they claimed to have a 70% winrate against Drake, which seems unlikely.

Also I beat someone with active Tortured Existance and Faerie Macabre back when Drake first came out and it hadn't yet beaten everyone's spirits down - end of turn Gigadrowse, oops I have two Flickers in hand because you gave me twelve turns to play a bunch of good cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly Lightning Bolt is probably the best "answer" there. It works some of the time even when you don't draw it (because your opponent chooses to play around it anyway), it actually blows your opponent out some proportion of the time instead of just slowing them down (if they end up playing into it), and it also interacts with the "beat you down with 2-power flyers" game plan. And it closes out the game by going upstairs for 3.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

There's gotta be something going on, I've never felt more advantaged in Magic than with this deck since never played Caw Blade. It's much more ubiquitous than Twin or Pod were in Modern, and significantly more powerful compared to everything else in the format, and there isn't any good sideboard cards to bring in against Drake. That last match was against UG Land Destruction where I countered a Sylvan Ranger (I thought they were on Temur Tokens) and walked a bounceland into Temporal Spring and still won because Drake is a stupid deck.

Geez, I count 16 5-0's in leagues with Drake decks for you? That's only published results, so I'm sure there are more? That's a lot of tickets from packs though, what've you been doing with all the extra tickets, cashing out or building decks for other formats?

For the record, regarding treasure chests, every time I've seen players open them on stream they are always garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm well aware that Drake is amazing. I'm playing it in paper so I don't even need to worry about clock.

I'm the only one playing it and I'm the one asking the group to ban it. Other people argue with me that it isn't imbalanced as I go 3-0 or 4-0 for a fifth week.