Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

quote:

The day after taking down the Challenge, Hellsau talks shop; and his opinions may surprise you

I bet they won't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Interesting that apparently every frequent player's opinion is "astrolabe has got to go".

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Jabor posted:

Interesting that apparently every frequent player's opinion is "astrolabe has got to go".

The obvious answer is to ban all the frequent players.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

So I went 3-1 in the first half of the league I mentioned upthread, losing to UB Zuberas with 4 maindeck Dispel :/ Sniped me good I guess. Anyway, this round I'm paired against 2 unknowns who I'll jam Tron against, and a Burn player and a Tron mirror. For both those I'm best of switching decks right? What's Burn's worst matchup, and should I just be playing Burn against the Tron player?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Burn has no good matchups. Just play 5 Blue Blasts 2 Lone Missionaries in Tron board and you'll be fine.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Well on the plus side, Mystic Sanctuary will probably get Ghostly Flicker banned.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Hellsau posted:

Well on the plus side, Mystic Sanctuary will probably get Ghostly Flicker banned.

In 2021.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Hellsau posted:

please

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

God yes (eyes reality acids)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

So in the Pauper Playoff last Sunday, second place was a player playing mono green LD - 8 land enchantments, 4 Arbot Elf, 4 Thermokarst, 4 Mwonvuli Acid Moss, 4 Mold Shambler, 4 Ulamog's Crusher, and some green dorks. I played against that deck three times today and smoked them 3-0 6-0.

Ghostly Flicker should not allow Flicker decks to protect their lands and artifacts for free, and should be banned.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

As a follow up to this I’m definitely bringing acid trip to the local pauper night with ephemerate and mystic sanctuary. gently caress the haters

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

So in the Pauper Playoff last Sunday, second place was a player playing mono green LD - 8 land enchantments, 4 Arbot Elf, 4 Thermokarst, 4 Mwonvuli Acid Moss, 4 Mold Shambler, 4 Ulamog's Crusher, and some green dorks. I played against that deck three times today and smoked them 3-0 6-0.

Ghostly Flicker should not allow Flicker decks to protect their lands and artifacts for free, and should be banned.

How much worse is flicker tron if ghostly flicker gets banned and replaced with Displace? Still seems like it'd be super broken.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Framboise posted:

How much worse is flicker tron if ghostly flicker gets banned and replaced with Displace? Still seems like it'd be super broken.

Builds would need to change, because the current lists would be significantly worse. Having displaces rot in your hand instead of flickering astrolabes to dig for your value creatures will slow you down a lot. Also, people can actually start running land destruction and expect it to do something.

Sure, once you actually get your engine going it's not a huge change, but you are significantly slower and more vulnerable while getting to that point.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Framboise posted:

Likely worse enough that I'll try Familiars first. I cannot imagine Flicker stays legal with Mystic Sanctuary around.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Framboise posted:

Flickering lands is what makes is the brokenest.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds fair enough tbh.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

The RIW pauper 1k is starting right now!

We officially made the largest pauper tournament in America with over 144 players!

You can watch our feature match here:
RIW Hobbies 1k Tournament Feature match

Edit: fixed

Edit2: Also, The Professor from the Tolarian Community College videos on YouTube is also here playing, and there's free tacos!

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 5, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

dude says "cumulative upkeep trigger on my mystic remora?" and the opponent tanks for ten seconds. jesus christ i hate live magic so much

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

The RIW pauper 1k is starting right now!

We officially made the largest pauper tournament in America with over 144 players

Just watched Tron lose to Familiars and that was super fun! I’ll switch to the big screen TV for the next match. Thank you for posting this.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Just watched Tron lose to Familiars and that was super fun! I’ll switch to the big screen TV for the next match. Thank you for posting this.

I do want to say that playing a Mortuary Mire and/or Bojuka Bog in Tron is an enormous cost, since the Tron player had turn 4 Mulldrifter+Ephemerate, but had to just Evoke the Mull instead because they had a tapped land in hand. If that tapped land were another snow mana or, more likely, a Compulsive Research or Condescend or another sideboarded counterspell, they'd have had a much better turn.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Hellsau I'd love to hear your take on the tournament tonight!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Was fine. It would have been nice to have decklists for each featured deck prior to match start - I literally have never seen a Seeker of the Way with alternate art, but apparently there was a promo? I was like, is that Tethmos High Priest? Looks like some sort of lion....

Lotta downtime between some rounds.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

give me a rundown on the pauper 1k. any spicy lists? any great plays? give me stories

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Mezzanon posted:

give me a rundown on the pauper 1k. any spicy lists? any great plays? give me stories

Mono-Black Control won in the finals vs Mono-Blue Delver. Goblins and Jeskai Astrolabe were the other two decks in the top four. The field was incredibly diverse, a bit heavy on Elves from what the stream was showing, and The Professor brought Fling/Atog Affinity. They promised to post the top eight deck lists to MTGtop8 soon and The Professor will be doing a video on the event.

At least based on what we saw on the stream it looked like a fun, thriving and extremely diverse format.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

We need to work on the streaming production and such, but it's still a relatively new thing at the store. The local meta is what you would expect with mbc, jeskai, elves, delver, Tron, affinity, goblins etc. But there's some weirdos like me that come through with dumb poo poo like land destruction, UG Infect, landfall, and durdel decks.

Unfortunately I had to work my other job last night so I could only hang around for the first two rounds, and could only watch the feature matches via twitch. I think they're going to stream pauper matches on Wednesdays and Fridays as well, so if you're bored, hit up the stores twitch

RIW Hobbies

This was the 4th pauper 1k event we had, and they keep getting bigger and better. We'd love to work with notable pauper podcasters, streamers, and vloggers and such to bring more players to the format and make events like this more exciting! If anyone knows someone in the biz that would be interested in collaborating, you can either drop me message here, or email Jon Wilkerson at the store directly.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
No bans in any format announced today. :woop:

After the Pauper 1k above I'm thrilled to see it. Off the top of my head I remember seeing MBC, Mono-Blue Delver, Goblins, Jeskai Snow, Elves, Suicide Black, Stompy, Fog Tron, Affinity, Familiars and Mono-White Heroic. Those were just the feature matches on stream and I missed several rounds.

It's possible the naysayers will be proven right and in six months Jeskai Snow will be so oppressive bans are necessary, but as of right now it sure doesn't look that dominant.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

You are incorrect. The things you're saying are identical to the idiots who thought Treasure Cruise was fine, or Peregrine Drake was fine, or Gush was fine. People will play what they want to play in Pauper even if it isn't good. You cannot look at "total decks played" and then cherry pick spiked tournament results to say, "hey the metagame is fine!" because then you run into the awful results-oriented thinking that led people to see two MBC decks top 4ed last challenge and MBC won the 1k, and then a whole bunch of people played MBC this week and got ridicuously crushed because MBC isn't good against a huge percentage of the metagame.

Did you not see how utterly the Jeskai deck demolished the black aggro deck? That matchup looked shockingly bad for the black deck. If Jeskai is a quarter or a third of the metagame, playing that deck is a horrible idea....but people play whatever they want in Pauper, because why not? The decks cost basically nothing, so if you wanna play a deck you can build it for cheap and just jam it.

From my experience, Drake wasn't as popular in the leagues as Jeskai is now. Drake was way more busted than Jeskai or Tron is, but it still wasn't as popular because it required a lot of clicks. The metagame when Drake was around was quite diverse - if you didn't want to play Drake, you could play any number of decks you wanted to, but they all lost to Drake. People kept playing Elves or Stompy or White Weenie or blue control decks that all could never beat Drake, because that's how the format has always been.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I'd much rather just play my dumb decks that aren't top tier and have fun with it. Whenever I play pauper in paper, I never cut my opponents deck. If they need the win on a Wednesday night casual pauper game that bad that they feel the need to stack or cheat, they need the win more than i do.

I just want to bring my dumb brews and gently caress with people that aren't prepared for my bad decks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

you can bring your dumb brews in a format that isn't ~40% Ephemerate decks, nobody's coming for your Muscle Slivers or Goblin Bushwackers or Jace's Erasures.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

But in pauper, I can make dumb decks for less than $100 and still win games. I should mention I don't play online at all, and I'm not in it to win it. I just like playing decks that are mechanically fun for me to play. Most other formats have cards that are more expensive than what I'm willing to spend on a dumb idea for a gimmick deck.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

But in pauper, I can make dumb decks for less than $100 and still win games. I should mention I don't play online at all, and I'm not in it to win it. I just like playing decks that are mechanically fun for me to play. Most other formats have cards that are more expensive than what I'm willing to spend on a dumb idea for a gimmick deck.

All Hellsau is saying is that your approach to the format has nothing to do with the banlist. The banlist is to help make the format fun for the people who do play to win. You can still bring your dumb decks and have fun with them if ephemerate is banned. The format will suffer if people leave it because of degenerate decks. I haven’t played pauper since foil was downshifted, and it made my favorite deck (ub delver angler) the best in the format. It just wasn’t interesting anymore.

I don’t really play to win either, but I do want the format to be fun and interesting and right now it’s not.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Im in the same boat, I dipped out of my favorite format because of the dominance of astrolabe decks and the continued ignorance of Tron's toxicity by the RC

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

ShadeofBlue posted:

All Hellsau is saying is that your approach to the format has nothing to do with the banlist. The banlist is to help make the format fun for the people who do play to win. You can still bring your dumb decks and have fun with them if ephemerate is banned. The format will suffer if people leave it because of degenerate decks. I haven’t played pauper since foil was downshifted, and it made my favorite deck (ub delver angler) the best in the format. It just wasn’t interesting anymore.

I don’t really play to win either, but I do want the format to be fun and interesting and right now it’s not.

That makes sense. I didn't look at it that way. For me it's still fun because I don't know a whole lot about the nuances of how to actually play just yet, and the only meta I concern myself with is the local meta, and that's about 20+ people.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

That makes sense. I didn't look at it that way. For me it's still fun because I don't know a whole lot about the nuances of how to actually play just yet, and the only meta I concern myself with is the local meta, and that's about 20+ people.

And how will you feel when the inevitable arms race occurs that has half the field playing top tier decks that make your fun deck nigh unplayable? If you're going to rely on an unspoken and unenforced social contract to shame people for playing those decks you're going to drive people away. If you don't do anything you're going to have the other half leave because it's not fun to go to events week after with with no chance of winning.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I don't understand what's happening, I was just trying to illustrate how much of a casual player I was, not that my playstyle has anything to do with the ban list, nor was I implying anyone should be ashamed of whatever deck.

I play this game because it's cheap, and I can play with my friends as well as be a part of things like 1k's. Meanwhile helping my lgs. I have never even played any other format besides commander once or twice, which was pretty unfun and long as gently caress.

The pauper decks I play are mono green infect, RWG landfall, Spores, izzet blitz when that was a thing, and this BW lifegain soul eater deck. These decks are bad and I rarely win.

Not all that worried what the game does.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Holy shitasses mystic sanctuary is a hosed up card, and I’m probably playing it in the worst possible shell for it.

Evoke mulldrifter, ephemerate before sacrifice, next turn ephemerate again, play sanctuary put ephemerate on top, preordain, ephemerate, on upkeep ephemerate Kor skyfisher returning mystic sanctuary, play sanctuary put ephemerate on top of library.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I don't understand what's happening, I was just trying to illustrate how much of a casual player I was, not that my playstyle has anything to do with the ban list, nor was I implying anyone should be ashamed of whatever deck.

I play this game because it's cheap, and I can play with my friends as well as be a part of things like 1k's. Meanwhile helping my lgs. I have never even played any other format besides commander once or twice, which was pretty unfun and long as gently caress.

The pauper decks I play are mono green infect, RWG landfall, Spores, izzet blitz when that was a thing, and this BW lifegain soul eater deck. These decks are bad and I rarely win.

Not all that worried what the game does.

Even not so serious players should worry about what the game does, because if you play with 20+ other people you are not immune to what happens. If one deck is too good it has ramifications. People stop playing the decks they like to play 'the best deck' and/or they stop playing whatever format because they don't like what the overpowered deck does to the format as a whole. So either your LGS events can trend toward no fun, or see a reduction in players neither of which is what you want to have happen. The likelihood that 20+ people ignore the meta is probably low. Maybe you get lucky and they do though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mezzanon posted:

Holy shitasses mystic sanctuary is a hosed up card, and I’m probably playing it in the worst possible shell for it.

Evoke mulldrifter, ephemerate before sacrifice, next turn ephemerate again, play sanctuary put ephemerate on top, preordain, ephemerate, on upkeep ephemerate Kor skyfisher returning mystic sanctuary, play sanctuary put ephemerate on top of library.

now imagine if your fetchlands can get it untapped like it can in other formats

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Astrolabe is banned. Tron reigns supreme, forever broken in its glory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Framboise posted:

Astrolabe is banned. Tron reigns supreme, forever broken in its glory.

The Jeskai decks are still gonna be around because Ephemerate + Archaeomancer is gonna exist. Maybe they switch to UWB, maybe they just keep the snow lands and Skred, probably don't splash for green anymore. The Familiars/Mystic Sanctuary decks are gonna keep on trucking too.

god drat it i really didn't want to play tron anymore