Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

This sounds interesting.

nm I'm out.
Sorry for the strict rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Want a really fun Teachings deck for paper? Skred Teachings. Here's the list I made in paper:

Sprout Swarm is a very fast win condition in paper. It is very much not good for MTGO. This list was made a few months ago, so it'd be updated with more Ash Barrens soon.

so i've played this a little bit and holy poo poo is swirling sandstorm a powerhouse.

any thought to adding a rewind or two in here? they're really good once you get to the sprout swarm part of the game

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

so i've played this a little bit and holy poo poo is swirling sandstorm a powerhouse.

any thought to adding a rewind or two in here? they're really good once you get to the sprout swarm part of the game

It's too slow. 1-drop aggro decks are a huge part of the pauper meta and you need your interaction to be cheap. If you're stabilized in the late game with a counterspell and a sprout swarm in your hand, you've won the game already.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I've been wrecking face all week with my goblin deck. It's fun to play mostly mindless games of magic.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
In addition to being too slow against aggro decks, Rewinds also seems really daring in a format with Daze, Counterspell, and a whole bunch of other 1-2 mana counters. In a format practically defined by the power and efficiency of its interaction, you have to be doing something really good to justify tapping four lands for one spell, and I don't think Value Rewind passes the bar.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Dear burn player who sideboarded in relic of progenitus and pyroblast against me, I appreciate getting a free win in one of my bad matchups, but you should really not be playing those cards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

little munchkin posted:

Dear burn player who sideboarded in relic of progenitus and pyroblast against me, I appreciate getting a free win in one of my bad matchups, but you should really not be playing those cards.

Wait 'til you find the players who keep in Insolent Neonate post-board and draw it turn seven when you have a couple creatures in play.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Wait 'til you find the players who keep in Insolent Neonate post-board and draw it turn seven when you have a couple creatures in play.

why would they be playing neonate in the first place

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

why would they be playing neonate in the first place

why would they be playing any creature in the first place when it only enables the enemy's removal

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

isn't sac neonate->pitch firebolt-> draw a card basically ancestral recall?

(lol)

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

isn't sac neonate->pitch firebolt-> draw a card basically ancestral recall?

(lol)

no one else plays firebolt because they think playing a bunch of horrendous topdecks is what a burn deck needs instead of a way to mitigate flood

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I made the mistake of playing another league.

Delver still needs to be banned.

Ninja should probably go too tbh. It's kinda ridiculous that that deck somehow has the best early, mid, and late game.

Edit: Stompy, Delver, Stompy, Bogles, Delver. Awesome format.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 7, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

you should be playing UG Turbofog. bogles can't beat 8 moment's peace

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bogles collapses hard to the flickering rats deck in this thread as long as you keep up with removal, using chainer's edict to whack the bogles.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Bogles collapses hard to the flickering rats deck in this thread as long as you keep up with removal, using chainer's edict to whack the bogles.

Yep. I saw 34 cards game 1 without finding an edict, mulled to 4 game 2, got a 5-for-1 with an edict, then lost to them ripping another Bogle off the top on the very next turn and me missing my 7th mana or another edict for 8 turns or so.

Screw Rancor is the moral of the story.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Yep. I saw 34 cards game 1 without finding an edict, mulled to 4 game 2, got a 5-for-1 with an edict, then lost to them ripping another Bogle off the top on the very next turn and me missing my 7th mana or another edict for 8 turns or so.

Screw Rancor is the moral of the story.

I loving hate that card. It is so, so, so satisfying though when they cast it and you kill the creature they're trying to cast it on though.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I loving hate that card. It is so, so, so satisfying though when they cast it and you kill the creature they're trying to cast it on though.

Same. Too bad it usually has hexproof, the worst ability ever printed!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So I threw away another league and a few 2-mans just to burn all my play points.

Kiln Fiend, Burn, Bogles, UR Tron, Kiln Fiend.

Burn, Kiln Fiend, Affinity x2.

So 1 of my last 14 matches were not against aggro. And I averaged over 1 mulligan per game. :thumbsup:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

That Abzan Tortured Existence deck is unbelievably bad if it doesn't have TortEx, and it's almost as good at grinding as the UB Flicker deck except without the counterspells or efficient creatures or interaction or inevitability.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

That Abzan Tortured Existence deck is unbelievably bad if it doesn't have TortEx, and it's almost as good at grinding as the UB Flicker deck except without the counterspells or efficient creatures or interaction or inevitability.

That deck is completely unplayable. Somehow they always have it turn 1 (or they draw it turn 2 if I have a turn 1 Duress.) I usually still beat it because they can't beat graveyard hate.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

That deck is completely unplayable. Somehow they always have it turn 1 (or they draw it turn 2 if I have a turn 1 Duress.) I usually still beat it because they can't beat graveyard hate.

My opponent had it on 7 game 1 and 2. If I had drawn a Flicker or Teachings in my top 26 cards, they lose game 1. I drew a Teachings game 2 and depleted their clock down to 3 minutes, and then they mulled to five but it didn't matter because that deck is glacial. Graveyard hate unnecessary.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I've also just ground them down by playing a fair game. Reaping the Graved for like 8 is pretty good against them when the game is going long. Pillar of Flame is also pretty good against them.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Tortured Existence is dumb because not only does it need a single irreplaceable buildaround card to function and completely fold to very common hate, but the deck can have everything go according to plan and still just lose to getting outvalued somehow.

Like a ton of decks can play an ordinary Game 1 against their nut draw and just win.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Thinking about putting together a Pauper deck since my store does a monthly FNM for the format. BG is my favorite color pair but it costs an arm and a leg in seemingly every format, so I'm wondering if there are any good BG decks in Pauper (with or without a third color)? MTGGoldfish had a couple different types of BG builds in its Pauper section and this BG Threshold list seems kind of cool but I don't know poo poo about the format-

1 Barren Moor
3 Evolving Wilds
4 Forest
3 Swamp
3 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Tranquil Thicket
3 Tree of Tales
3 Vault of Whispers
4 Chainer's Edict
2 Dead Weight
2 Doom Blade
1 Executioner's Capsule
2 Golgari Brownscale
4 Grisly Salvage
4 Gurmag Angler
4 Moldgraf Scavenger
4 Nimble Mongoose
1 Pulse of Murasa
3 Stinkweed Imp
4 Vessel of Nascency
4 Werebear

Sideboard:
4 Choking Sands
1 Echoing Decay
1 Golgari Brownscale
2 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Pulse of Murasa
2 Quiet Disrepair
1 Seal of Primordium
2 Shrivel

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Thinking about putting together a Pauper deck since my store does a monthly FNM for the format. BG is my favorite color pair but it costs an arm and a leg in seemingly every format, so I'm wondering if there are any good BG decks in Pauper (with or without a third color)? MTGGoldfish had a couple different types of BG builds in its Pauper section and this BG Threshold list seems kind of cool but I don't know poo poo about the format-

These kind of decks really struggle to beat much of anything - it can't race Burn or a white tokens deck, it doesn't run enough removal to avoid getting crushed by a good Stompy draw, its threats get Spellstutter Sprited, and it can't win against a Mulldrifter deck like UB. There's probably some sort of Crypt Rats based deck to be had, where your green threats are beefy enough to survive a moderate Crypt Rats activation, but if I'm playing some midrange deck like that I'd rather play Mulldrifter.

There's probably a GBu Tortured Existence deck that doesn't 100% rely on keeping the enchantment in play to win and beats their opponents by playing lots of Mulldrifters, but I haven't tried making a deck like that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Hellsau posted:

These kind of decks really struggle to beat much of anything - it can't race Burn or a white tokens deck, it doesn't run enough removal to avoid getting crushed by a good Stompy draw, its threats get Spellstutter Sprited, and it can't win against a Mulldrifter deck like UB. There's probably some sort of Crypt Rats based deck to be had, where your green threats are beefy enough to survive a moderate Crypt Rats activation, but if I'm playing some midrange deck like that I'd rather play Mulldrifter.

There's probably a GBu Tortured Existence deck that doesn't 100% rely on keeping the enchantment in play to win and beats their opponents by playing lots of Mulldrifters, but I haven't tried making a deck like that.

Aw :( Maybe I'll look into UBx instead since you mentioned it a couple times.

Or what about Goblins? That's my other favorite archetype that I can't actually play anywhere.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Goblins is a deck. It's not good but it's fine. It's pretty much 1 mana 2/2s that can't attack alone or if you didn't cast a creature this turn the deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Or what about Goblins? That's my other favorite archetype that I can't actually play anywhere.

I don't think a dedicated goblins deck exists, but look up mono-red aggro, it plays a handful of goblins and is moderately competitive. Not as good as mono-green or blue but still lot better than threshhold. If your store goes with paper legality than you can play goblin grenade which would make it even stronger.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Aw :( Maybe I'll look into UBx instead since you mentioned it a couple times.

Goblins is fine, since Goblin Bushwacker leads to some brutally fast draws, but it's got problems with a wide open metagame. It suffers if it draws 4+ lands or only draws 1 land for the first four turns and can't flood the board fast enough. You can overcome the flooding issue if you draw your good cards for a particular matchup, but if you draw your Sparksmiths against a control deck and draw your Death Sparks against a burn deck and draw your Goblin War Marshals against Delver, you're kind of in trouble.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I play goblins and love it.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-goblins-23317#paper

I play this, but replace the Gorilla's.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does anyone running UB Control have some secret tech they want to share, or should I just start with a standard UB list off of Goldfish and play around with it from there?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Does anyone running UB Control have some secret tech they want to share, or should I just start with a standard UB list off of Goldfish and play around with it from there?

Recoiling your opponent's turn 2 karoo is the most enjoyable play you can possibly make in this dumb, bad game.

Also Wail of the Nim is a good sideboard card.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Recoiling your opponent's turn 2 karoo is the most enjoyable play you can possibly make in this dumb, bad game.

Also Wail of the Nim is a good sideboard card.

I just moved to playing four Crypt Rats main. There are just too many decks that just roll over and die to a Crypt Rats, and even against Teachings it's a 1/1 beater that can dome each player for 8.

My Elves matchup is nice.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What list are you on now Hellsau? If you don't mind sharing.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

What list are you on now Hellsau? If you don't mind sharing.

http://pastebin.com/6fzELkW0

Tron is an exceptionally good deck if you have turn three Tron and a Prism and have three Mulldrifters in the top twenty cards of your library. Actually, half the decks in Pauper are basically races to see who draws more Mulldrifters. Mulldrifter is great.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

http://pastebin.com/6fzELkW0

Tron is an exceptionally good deck if you have turn three Tron and a Prism and have three Mulldrifters in the top twenty cards of your library. Actually, half the decks in Pauper are basically races to see who draws more Mulldrifters. Mulldrifter is great.

Can you explain the Rancid Earths? I understand what it would be good against but I'm not sure why it would make the cut over other stuff.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Cavern Harpy is sweet and there is a 50% chance your opponent misreads the card and wastes a removal spell trying to kill it. Unfortunately it's not good enough and you should stuck to stock lists.

I've put in a Bojuka Bog, Mortuary Mire, and Radiant Fountain to try and get more value out of the bouncelands. Pretty nice, but 1-drop aggro is really popular right now and those decks punish tapped lands pretty hard.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Posted this in the MTG main thread, but looking for advice. My Friday Night Magic group is setting up a Pauper Modern tournament. I was thinking of setting up an Aggro/Control deck for this, but I've never actually made a deck proper before, because I am super new and only have done drafting. Does anyone have any ideas or websites? I really just need to find a list, because the store it's at has a poo poo ton of singles for cheap.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Does it have the same ban list as modern? If it does you can look at some place like mtggoldfish and then just start whacking cards that aren't legal. Based on decks that I expect to lose the least, I'd look at:

Stompy
Goblins
Tron

If the ban list is different, then you can look at:
Affinity
Izzet Blitz (this is real good if you get to play treasure cruises and probes, ponder, preordain, plus your opponents lose access to hydro/pyroblast)
Tron again since you get Cloudposts

blue decks get way worse if you can't play ponder or preordain, since you for sure are losing Counterspell and Brainstorm (where appropriate)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Thanks, yeah, it has the same ban list as modern.