Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

So since I've been playing 40k at my flgs, I've met a handful of the guys that play at the pauper nights at my flgs. I'm teaching a few of them 40k, they've been teaching me Magic.

I am still learning how to navigate certain types of decks, but I've seen a few energy decks get played in other formats, and they look really fun. Are there any energy decks that are particularly fun/interesting in pauper? I'm not looking for powerful decks to obliterate my opponent or anything, everyone that comes to pauper nights are chill and fun. I just wanted to play something unique, and different from burn and mono decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Dang. Thanks anyways :respek:. I like the idea of having other resources to mess with besides life and mana.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Go on... :pervert:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

So from my internet digging, I've found a few decks that seem like a bunch of fun to play.

Izzet Blitz, Infect, and this budget as gently caress deck

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/824480#paper

My buddy that's helping me said it could be fun with a few tweaks, and the thought of a sub $20 deck is intriguing. I'm not trying to jump into the scene to stop people or anything, I just wanna have some fun, maybe win a few games with weird decks.

My ideal scenario would be to be to be able to draft and play pauper to win some store credit to alleviate some of the price on 40k, while having some fun.

Edit: it seems as though I've contradicted myself regarding the Izzet Blitz and not wanting to stomp people :shobon: I know it's designed for a turn 3/4 win, and I guess the same could be said about infect, I just like the mechanics of building a combo to pump a creature, and/or having some other mechanic to work with besides Mana.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 14, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

So a buddy of mine straight up gave me his Eldrazi Poultice deck, and it's real gimmicky, and kinda hard to pull off, but it seems neat.

Is there any way to improve it, or, is there another deck I can build into easily using a few of these cards that would be more viable?

4 Battered Golem
4 Nettle Drone
4 Elusive Spellfist

2 Golem Foundry
4 Herbal Poultice
4 Welding Jar

1 Apostle's Blessing
4 Banishing Knack
3 Dispel
4 Ponder
3 Preordain
4 Retraction Helix

4 Swiftwater Cliffs
4 Evolving Wilds
10 Island
1 Mountain

2 Apostle's Blessing
1 Dispel
2 Electrickery
2 Hydroblast
1 Kozilek's Sentinel
2 Negate
3 Pyroblast
2 Smelt

Edit:

CompeAnansi posted:

In general, this is the absolute best resource for getting started in building pauper decks: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#paper

Here is a link specifically to the infect archetype: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/playing-pauper-mono-green-infect

Infect is no longer a major part of the metagame ever since Invigorate was banned. If you can get away with playing Invigorate with your playgroup, you'll murder them. Here is a link to the old UG archetype: http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/...r-pauper-infect

Thanks for this by the way! I did some asking around at the store and yeah, invigorate is legal there, though I was informed playing infect would make me "that guy", which was also encouraged because it would be funny. Especially with white border, terrible lands in nice sleeves.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 18, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

So this is the infect deck I've been running:

code:
2 Apostle's Blessing
1 Barren Moor
2 Doom Blade
4 Flensermite
12 Forest
4 Glistener Elf
2 Groundswell
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Phytoburst
4 Plague Stinger
3 Rancor
4 Seal of Strength
5 Swamp
1 Tranquil Thicket
4 Vines of Vastwood

2 Apostle's Blessing
2 Diabolic Edict
1 Ebony Charm
4 Fog
2 Kitesail
2 Nature's Claim
2 Tranquility
I really like it, but I have a hard time dealing with all the removal. My buddy is playing this U/W inside out/monarch deck with faeries that I just cant seem to beat. Some people suggested shifting the deck into U/B Infect or something for the counters. Any tips on how to make the deck better/faster/or more robust?

I've been playing a lot on xmage which helps me understand how the deck works, but when playing in real life, I don't have the hand holding of the software and I mess up a ton. Are there any fun little infographs or something that would help me remember the phases and what can be used when?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Oh sweet! That's just what I was hoping for. What do you think, drop the Ebony Charm and a fog for two ranger's guile in the sideboard?

Edit: I could maybe drop two phytoburst and mainboard 2 as well.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 14, 2017

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

That helps a lot thank you! I screen capped that post for a little reference card to look at.

I get the gist of it, I just really need to learn the keywords and how they read.

For instance, I wondered if I could cast Vines of Vastwood on a Coalition Honor Guard thinking it would allow me to use my pump spells on my own creatures again, but the wording of "opponents" didn't flip to me like I thought it would. It would however, make it so "my opponent" couldn't cast spells on that (their Honor Guard) creature, but I still couldn't target my own creatures with the Honor Guard still in play.

I know now the way it works is this:

Nina controls Standard Bearer. Alex casts Vines, targeting Standard Bearer. After Vines resolves, Alex cannot cast Rancor targeting his creature because the Standard Bearer is still a valid target for spells or abilities he controls. Nina would be unable to cast a spell targeting her own Standard Bearer.

This is because Alex controls Vines, and Vines says "your opponent", referring to Alex's opponent.

I thought "your opponent" meant the opponent of the card it was cast upon. It seems obvious now, but that's just one of those things I need to pay attention to.

Learning how the cards interact with whatever given keywords has been the hardest part.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

My buddy runs a slivers deck and he smashes people with it. Granted, I still don't know a lot about the game, but he has done well enough to have a few people build decks specifically to beat him.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Guys!

I played in my first pauper tournament and I placed high enough to win a free pack! :yayclod:

The fun part is that I got to pick any pack, and I chose an unstable pack for them sweet sweet borderless lands and got a forest. This was also my very first MTG pack I've ever opened, so I earned my first. I was super stoked!

There were only 16 people in the tournament, and my flgs does them every Wednesday, so it wasn't a big deal or anything, but I had a blast and played with my infect deck you guys helped me build. :3:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

PJOmega posted:

Are you in the Portland area by any chance?

Southeast Michigan actually. RIW hobbies in Livonia. They did a 2k event last Saturday that had 59 people in it. They do Unstable drafts on Thursdays that are a total blast. Everyone is running around and doing goofy rear end stuff.

If you live in the area, check them out.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

For sure. He's been helping me learn the game along with my friends at the store. There really is a good community of players there, regardless of format. They do a good job of weeding out the nonsense.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Yeah I hadn't realized how abundant they are until I heard about guys in the 40k thread talking about driving an hour or more to their closest store.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

My lgs (RIW Hobbies) has had weekly pauper events that fire every week. They recently had a 1k that evolved into a 2k since a gently caress load of people showed up. It just keeps gaining popularity.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I've been playing around with a reanimator deck and came up with this. It's real dumb, but extremely fun and a riot to play. When it works, there's nothing like throwing out an 11/11 ullamogs crusher with haste, vigilance and trample for the low low price of 1 and a black.

code:

4 Ulamog's Crusher
4 Exhume
2 Dismal Backwater
4 Careful Study
4 Stinkweed Imp
2 Dragon Scales
4 Dragon Breath
4 Striped Riverwinder
2 Viscera Seer
4 Contingency Plan
2 Dragon Fangs
2 Evolving Wilds
8 Island
6 Swamp
4 Ponder
4 Counterspell

I know this deck could be a whole lot better, but I love the dragon enhancements coming out for free on big boys. Especially when there's a ton in the graveyard and he goes through the roof. Any single one is really useful and makes crusher a nightmare, but multiples is just dumb as hell and I love it.

Edit: it also cost me like $19 to build so gently caress it.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Mulloy posted:

So my EDH group wants to add pauper as a side option. As a result I have been looking for control decks - I know pauper isn't super control oriented, but looking at the popular decks like delver and such I wasn't seeing anything that looked like it would be fun longer term. I saw Dimir Alchemy and I pieced that together, but I was wondering if there were any B/U/x control decks in existence in pauper or if I just need to grow up and learn to like tempo.

My local meta is mainly control and UB control is totally a thing. We have nicknamed it "Fun Police" because if it isn't chainer's edicting your monsters, it's counterspelling something, duressing, or some other removal while swinging in with gurmag anglers and augur of bolas. There's also insane mill, mono blue delver, mono black control, blue white flicker, among others.

I'm having a hard time playing dumb fun combo decks because of how control heavy it is around me. I played my Landfall deck today and went 0/4 against B control, UB control, Burn and Izzet blitz. The Izzet Blitz matchup was fun as hell because we were both trying to do the same thing, but in very different ways. The other three I just got trounced hard.

You need to be either hyper fast, or have enough control to set up to get there. Again, this is just my local, but two color and mono control is very doable. 3 color of you're crafty, but you need to cover a lot of bases. Like an inside out deck or something.

Also lol at Chainer's Edict getting bought out and is now a $13 pauper card. If wizards wants to keep the format around, they need to do something like they did with EDH or else we will end up with expensive-rear end pauper decks.

:thunk:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

No problem! I'll get my buddy to send me his list for your reference. It's nasty, and earns the name fun police.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

God drat! That's pretty rad. That's the best thing about pauper. I can go to other stores in my area that don't do pauper leagues, and score some great cards for real cheap.

A buddy of mine bought 4 Ash Barrens for .40 a pop from a local store because the owner is just in it for modern and standard.

Edit:

So I was thinking about dipping into white for some of the goodgood lands and landfall effects, plus access to Armadillo Cloak. Any suggestions? I know going 3 color is risky, but there's so much mana fixing it almost doesn't matter. The deck is fun where it sits, but it's left wide open to control and I was hoping to make it a bit more competitive.
code:

4 Adventuring Gear 
4 Crop Rotation 
4 Evolving Wilds 
5 Forest 
2 Gruul Turf 
4 Harrow 
2 Hooting Mandrills 
4 Lightning Bolt 
4 Makindi Sliderunner 
5 Mountain 
4 Plated Geopede 
4 Rancor 
2 Temur Battle Rage 
4 Terramorphic Expanse 
4 Valakut Predator 
4 Zektar Shrine Expedition 

4 Apostle's Blessing 
2 Mogg War Marshal 
3 Molten Rain 
3 Pyroblast 
3 Smash to Smithereens

Am I asking for the moon on a stick here?

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Feb 11, 2018

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Why not use terramorphic or evolving wilds? Sure it comes in tapped, but the cards are like .50 a pop. Ash Barrens is like $7 now, and gently caress a $28 playset when I spent less on the rest of the entire deck. :shrug:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

So I already play a bunch on xmage, but I've been considering getting on mtgo for pauper.

Is this a dumb idea? If not, what would be the best way to go about starting out? I've seen a few pages talking about buying cards from bots, and I tried to watch that Saffron Olive guy's video about getting started, but that dude's voice is worse than nails on a chalkboard.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I've got a pauper 1k coming up and this is the deck I plan on playing:

2 Temur Battle Rage
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Groundswell
2 Harrow
2 Swell of Growth
2 Adventuring Gear
4 Plated Geopede
4 Rancor
4 Evolving Wilds
1 Gruul Turf
3 Mountain
2 Valakut Predator
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Forest
4 Crop Rotation
3 Plains
4 Steppe Lynx
4 Wild Nacatl
1 Teetering Peaks
1 Boros Garrison
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Selesnya Sanctuary

Sideboard

3 Apostle's Blessing
2 Armadillo Cloak
3 Journey to Nowhere
3 Pyroblast
2 Smash to Smithereens
2 Molten Rain

Thoughts?

I've been doing alright with it, but I got my rear end handed to me in the last pauper event by burn, UB control and mono black. What could I side in to help with those decks? Or should I just pray to The Heart of the Cards for a decent hand?

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Yea Kiln Fiend has all the same weaknesses but kills much faster when uninterrupted.

That's what lead me to this deck in the first place actually. I was playing Izzet blitz, but wanted something different. Playing against kiln fiend with this deck is a ton of fun though! :unsmith:

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I have 3 decks I run at my lgs weeklys. Naya landfall, UB reanimator, and infect. I have a GB fungus deck and an izzet blitz deck too, but I still need to edit them a bit to make them more viable in the local meta.

The landfall deck came from playing izzet and just wanting a different way of doing the same thing basically.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Pauper is sanctioned!

:toot:

Something like 415 new cards added to the format. I can't wait to see how this shakes things up.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

That's my flgs! :dance:

He beefed up the name though, it's Livonia (Liv-own-yah)
I'm the guy prepping the new space for the tournament. Hopefully the drywall guys can get in soon so we can get this place in shape.

It's gonna be a blast, and a ton of people are showing just to meet him. If any of you guys are interested, here is the FB page for the event:

https://www.facebook.com/events/2395411484006177/?ti=as

The local pauper scene is pretty chill, and there will be free tacos for those participating in the event!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

The RIW pauper 1k is starting right now!

We officially made the largest pauper tournament in America with over 144 players!

You can watch our feature match here:
RIW Hobbies 1k Tournament Feature match

Edit: fixed

Edit2: Also, The Professor from the Tolarian Community College videos on YouTube is also here playing, and there's free tacos!

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 5, 2019

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Hellsau I'd love to hear your take on the tournament tonight!

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

We need to work on the streaming production and such, but it's still a relatively new thing at the store. The local meta is what you would expect with mbc, jeskai, elves, delver, Tron, affinity, goblins etc. But there's some weirdos like me that come through with dumb poo poo like land destruction, UG Infect, landfall, and durdel decks.

Unfortunately I had to work my other job last night so I could only hang around for the first two rounds, and could only watch the feature matches via twitch. I think they're going to stream pauper matches on Wednesdays and Fridays as well, so if you're bored, hit up the stores twitch

RIW Hobbies

This was the 4th pauper 1k event we had, and they keep getting bigger and better. We'd love to work with notable pauper podcasters, streamers, and vloggers and such to bring more players to the format and make events like this more exciting! If anyone knows someone in the biz that would be interested in collaborating, you can either drop me message here, or email Jon Wilkerson at the store directly.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I'd much rather just play my dumb decks that aren't top tier and have fun with it. Whenever I play pauper in paper, I never cut my opponents deck. If they need the win on a Wednesday night casual pauper game that bad that they feel the need to stack or cheat, they need the win more than i do.

I just want to bring my dumb brews and gently caress with people that aren't prepared for my bad decks.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

But in pauper, I can make dumb decks for less than $100 and still win games. I should mention I don't play online at all, and I'm not in it to win it. I just like playing decks that are mechanically fun for me to play. Most other formats have cards that are more expensive than what I'm willing to spend on a dumb idea for a gimmick deck.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

ShadeofBlue posted:

All Hellsau is saying is that your approach to the format has nothing to do with the banlist. The banlist is to help make the format fun for the people who do play to win. You can still bring your dumb decks and have fun with them if ephemerate is banned. The format will suffer if people leave it because of degenerate decks. I haven’t played pauper since foil was downshifted, and it made my favorite deck (ub delver angler) the best in the format. It just wasn’t interesting anymore.

I don’t really play to win either, but I do want the format to be fun and interesting and right now it’s not.

That makes sense. I didn't look at it that way. For me it's still fun because I don't know a whole lot about the nuances of how to actually play just yet, and the only meta I concern myself with is the local meta, and that's about 20+ people.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

I don't understand what's happening, I was just trying to illustrate how much of a casual player I was, not that my playstyle has anything to do with the ban list, nor was I implying anyone should be ashamed of whatever deck.

I play this game because it's cheap, and I can play with my friends as well as be a part of things like 1k's. Meanwhile helping my lgs. I have never even played any other format besides commander once or twice, which was pretty unfun and long as gently caress.

The pauper decks I play are mono green infect, RWG landfall, Spores, izzet blitz when that was a thing, and this BW lifegain soul eater deck. These decks are bad and I rarely win.

Not all that worried what the game does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Framboise posted:

Been watching a bit of Caleb Gannon's stuff now that I am aware of him and he has a really fun looking Soul Sisters build. I kinda want to build it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-KdQ0wJETo&t=3s

Also, looked at MTGGoldfish and apparently MBC is one of the most popular decks in the meta. What changed that made it popular again? I want to build it too.

Caleb is my guy! Me makes some amazingly weird and really fun decks. His decks are what I want pauper to be like. People coming up with weird combos you don't expect that are actually effective.

It's more fun to see all the weirdness people come up with, rather than just tweaking a top 8 net deck.