Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Welcome to the best eternal format around, Pauper! This is the thread to discuss magic's cheapest entry point. This thread is inclusive of all versions of Pauper, including Pauper Standard, Pauper Legacy, Pauper Modern, and Pauper Commander.

Why play Pauper?

Cheap, cheap, and cheap! The entry point for Pauper is way less than that of any other format. Many viable decks cost $10-$20 dollars and no deck in the format is over $100.

What about Online?

Pauper is very popular online and cost even less. Here is a list of current meta and prices: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#online.

What is Pauper?

Pauper is a Magic Online format in which all cards used must have been printed at the common rarity in a Magic Online set or product. Common promo cards are only legal if the card has been printed at the common rarity in a set or product. Other than that, the usual rules for Constructed decks apply (a minimum deck size of 60 cards in the main deck, an optional 15-card sideboard, and so on). If a common version of a particular card was ever released on Magic Online, any versions of that card printed at other rarities are also legal in this format.
The MTGO-Pauper banned list is: (http://magic.wizards.com/en/gameinfo/gameplay/formats/pauper)
Treasure Cruise
Cloudpost
Cranial Plating
Empty the Warrens
Frantic Search
Grapeshot
Invigorate
Temporal Fissure
Cloud of Faeries
Note: Paper Pauper has no official banlist, so it's up to your playgroup and/or tournament organizer.

^^^Thanks to reddit for above^^^

A great resource in the community: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pauper/

Feel free to comment or PM with suggestions for this thread/info to add to the OP.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Decks

Pauper Online Meta
Pauper Paper Meta

Home Brews:
Give me your list!

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 30, 2017

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Reserved.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Just getting into the format and learning about how pricey random cards are online. Gorilla Shaman, Pyroblast, and Hydroblast were all pretty hilarious moments for me.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Hellsau posted:

If anyone wants to play Pauper leagues online, just play UR Drake. People keep playing decks that just lose to a Bolt or two, or that can't outgrind the blue value engine, so you get to beat everything. Most opposing Drake players also don't play the mirror well, such as just tapping out for a Mulldrifter on turn 5 and allowing you to combo safely.

Basically UR Drake is the best way to go infinite+ right now. You could probably play a different deck for fun, just don't be surprised or salty if you can't beat Drake in the leagues.
I'm getting a league together of people I know from when I worked at a card shop in college. I think we are going to have 12-16 people. I put together UR Drake, because it only cost me $10 (no blasts or shamans in the SB though). We'll see how the first month goes, but if it is just everyone playing drake decks we may ban it. So, I guess the question is what deck(s) are the best without drake?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Pete Zah posted:

I'm thinking about putting together a couple pauper decks to play when my gf and I get bored. What's a fun matchup? We're just casual players so it doesn't have to be tier 1 stuff, just fun.

What about Affinity vs. Stompy? Both of those look pretty fun. I don't know how they match up with one another though.
The cool part is the core of any deck is pretty cheap, so you guys can have a few different put together so you don't get bored with a matchup. Affinity and Stompy seems like a good starting point too. Have fun!

Death of Rats posted:

Not that they even approach tier 1, but I run White Weenie and Nightsky Mimic Extort as my main Pauper decks. I also have Delver Fiend, but I l'm kind of down on it at the moment (not finding it as much fun as the other decks). I also built BG Tortured Existence Dredge pre-KTK, but haven't updated it since Angler was printed. I should look into that - it was fun for a while.
Those decks look super fun/cool. One thing I really like so far with pauper is all the different decks/home brews that are out there and have a decent chance of winning. Angler is such a sick card, what are you thinking for an updated list?

PJOmega posted:

Hopefully it'll get hit hard with a ban.

Look, i play the deck. It isnt unbeatable. But it is incredibly oppressive and unhealthy for the format at large.
I agree. I've lost with my UR build plenty of times, but when I win... I win big and it is insane how unfair it is.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 29, 2016

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Glad to see this thread really took off when I wasn't paying attention. I've really enjoyed running Goblins. I think something to keep in mind when you're getting into Pauper, and MTGO specifically, is that you want to play a faster deck so that you do not time out as you learn the online system and various decks in the format. Part of me really wants to play some sort of combo in the format, but I don't really like any of the decks. Goblins for now will have to do.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
When I said combo, I was mostly referring to the reanimator deck in the format that seems super fringe. I also play TTB and Goryo's Vengeance in Modern, so I'm drawn to that kind of deck.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I ran an MTGO Pauper League for local Ann Arbor folks for a couple months, and it fell apart during the holidays. Essentially everyone pays in 5 or 10 tickets and we do a round robin tournament where you play everyone once within the month. Then top 4 or top 8 based on standings. If anyone wants in on this, PM me or email me at d(dot)vanderlooven(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll add you to the facebook group. This is casual, so don't be an asshat.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

This sounds interesting.

nm I'm out.
Sorry for the strict rules.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I've been wrecking face all week with my goblin deck. It's fun to play mostly mindless games of magic.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I play goblins and love it.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-goblins-23317#paper

I play this, but replace the Gorilla's.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
These spicy downshifts are spicy. I'm excited.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

PJOmega posted:

What do you see as the big, if any, movers and shakers from Amonkhet?
Embalm could be interesting.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Took a bit of a break from SA and I come back to a lot of posts on here. My local MTGO Pauper league kind of died. Do we have enough interest to try to do a goon league?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Southeast Michigan actually. RIW hobbies in Livonia. They did a 2k event last Saturday that had 59 people in it. They do Unstable drafts on Thursdays that are a total blast. Everyone is running around and doing goofy rear end stuff.

If you live in the area, check them out.
Jon is a good dude and did a lot of work for that event. Was pretty great to see it do so well.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
As a former employee of a SE Michigan LGS, I will say that area is really fortunate to have a lot of really great stores and store owners/employees. I miss being able to drive 30 minutes and get to pick from 10 stores to attend an event at.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
So Pauper at GP's. What cards will we see jump up to $5 or $10? Will the current $5-$10 dollar cards go up? This is going to be fun.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Monarchs?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I've heard some suggestions that they could see a jump, but who knows.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Hellsau posted:

They could see a jump to two quarters instead of one I guess.

little munchkin posted:

they're draft chaff from a recent set that get played as a 2 or 3 of. the only reason they cost so much online is that the set they're from was never released
The idea that they could see a jump was suggested by someone who plays a lot more Pauper than I do, so I was just curious. Investing in a common always seems like a bad idea, as a reprint wrecks it. I have trouble consistently playing MTGO, so I am very hopeful that Pauper on paper becomes a thing both locally and at larger events.

What are the most expensive cards in the format on paper currently?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Be careful with making assumptions. I still know stores that use the multiplayer EDH ban list for 1 vs 1 tournaments. I suggest speaking with the TO and strongly urging then to follow online legality to stop unfairness. There will be player's who will work to take advantage of lazy rules, even in a Pauper tournament.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Matsuri posted:

I didn't realize how it worked, I've never done this before.

And it's less about instant gratification and more me wanting to be home before it gets too late (I'm staying in Indy over the weekend to visit a friend, if the Pauper event was on Saturday I'd stay and play the entire time), and I live a couple hours away. Playing it all through would keep me there longer than I'd like to be.

Because I didn't understand how it worked and I do now?

That's kind of why I asked in the first place.
If you have never been to a GP and just plan to play fun games and hang out with friends, that is totally cool. There will be lots of vendors for you to check out for the GP promo, singles, packs, supplies, so on. It is public space and you are not required to enter any event or spend any money. Have a blast!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Are people seeing traction locally for Pauper events? I know it has been around for a long time, but I'm interested in progression since adding it to larger weekend events. I remember holding a 50 person Tiny Leader event a few years ago and that format died pretty fast. Not that Pauper and Tiny Leaders are similar in anyway, but curious if it can remain popular enough where an average LGS is holding weekly events a year or two from now, similar to Standard or Modern.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

My lgs (RIW Hobbies) has had weekly pauper events that fire every week. They recently had a 1k that evolved into a 2k since a gently caress load of people showed up. It just keeps gaining popularity.
Yeah, not sure if I posted this or not previously... But that store is kinda skewed because Jon invests a decent amount of time promoting events and advertising. RIW/Pam is also a mainstay in the Michigan MTG community, so that helps too. Hopefully they can continue the success and some of their sponsored pros take an interest and write about it.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

I've been looking at MTGGoldfish lists and seeing what appeals to me and won't break the bank, and I think I'm leaning toward something around this UB Angler/control deck:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-ub-40728#paper

or this Izzet spells decks:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-ub-40728#paper

The former is cheaper and for whatever reason the graveyard element appeals to me, but I'm not sure how tricky it would be to play. The latter seems cool too, and while it's more expensive, it includes staples I see across a lot of decks.
What decks have you played in other formats? Also, you used the UB link twice. I am also deciding between these two and I think Ill go with an Izzet variant.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I'm working on building my Pauper collection. I don't mind buying something like Gush for $5 a pop, because it is a lot harder to find a place to reprint it. Ash Barrens does not have that feel at all. I guess losing like $20 value at most on a playset is one advantage of Pauper, as any other format can easily be $20 per card or more.

When a worked at an LGS people would leave behind draft leftovers, and usually that combined with purchasing a few of the better uncommons in the set would get me 4 of each of the commons and uncommons. I also started building backwards for common and uncommon sets. Then, like an idiot, I sold these off when I moved from the area because I didn't want to move them. I didn't play Pauper at the time, so now I'm looking back at how convenient that collection would have been as I continue to delve into this format makes me sad. So, as usual, getting rid of chunks of your collection will always eventually provide regret.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I may post this in the buy/sell/trade thread, but thought this may be a good place to ask. Where should one go to begin accumulating staples for paper Pauper? I think I've maxed out on what I can get locally, and have a lot of cheap stuff to fill in. Obviously things like Ash Barrens I can go on eBay, but it would be nice to get good pricing on the .15-$2 cards in one shot.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

Just won a G3 against mono blue delver with acid trip. Finished the game with 4 cards left in library, drew 20 cards off assorted mulldrifter triggers.
Legend.

I've been spending my lunch breaks at the local LGS looking at box after box of commons. Where I moved from, nothing that is even a dollar survives being out in a common box. So finding 10 moments peace was pretty great. The owner is also nice enough to charge me a reduced rate for stacks. Bought around 200 cards of assorted pauper playables and paid $15 bucks.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Mikeyr00r00's "paupular deck" series is amazing. It really gives a good look at a ton of different decks in the format, and I like his style of recording/playing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSvVF_hfN08

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I just bought a set of Ash Barrens. Didn't think it fit the concept of Masters 25, but now I can pick up more for cheap so I'm not too bummed.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
As the "pauper guy" in my friend group, I've been asked about 5 times if relentless rats pauper is going to be a thing. My answer is yes, because it will get at least two people to taste sweet sweet pauper nectar and be hooked, even if that deck is garbage.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Hellsau posted:

lol the deck's delver match is actually good which is why I'm still playing the deck, the Pauper subreddit don't know poo poo about poo poo.

Holy poo poo does MTGO like to do absurd poo poo like giving me 18 lands, 3 Maps and 2 Prisms in 30 cards, or having 3 Mulldrifters, 3 Walls, 2 Sea Gate Oracles and a Compulsive in the bottom 11 cards.
Tron is a very tough deck to play, but it has a lot of ways where the decisions you make and the grind you can do wins games. A string of really good plays can turn a game around pretty quickly. It's hard to play and easy to time out, so that's why people are dumb about it IMO.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Oh yeah timing out is a real and present danger in basically every matchup. Fortunately the majority of MTGO players are super slow, even with aggro decks, and I'm absurdly fast at MTGO clicks so the only thing I need to worry about is client lag.

Also I got another 5-0 tonight, gonna finish my write-up on the deck with sideboarding guides. The deck is exceptional specifically because I believe it has a favorable Izzet Delver matchup and a substantially favorable Mono-Blue Delver matchup while still crushing all the other grindy decks. The deck is so close to UW Flicker but the matchup tradeoffs are bizarre. Somehow the Swamp/Island matchups are much better (and they were already very favorable aside from Tron/Delver), the Forest/Plains decks are MUCH worse, and Burn is very difficult.
For sure. Incase it wasn't clear, I was complimenting you on your ability to play a very difficult, yet very good deck.

I do kinda wonder what kind of decks are better or worse in paper, because of not having a time out or clicking issue. Have not been able to play many paper games, but it seems like some decks just will outright not be any good on paper when you take away those factors.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Is it possible that online vs paper will eventually have a different ban list? Seems unlikely, and most likely if a deck is too good or unfair on one platform, it will just stay banned on both.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I just didn’t know if it was possible if/when Pauper has a paper ban list and gets recognized as an “official format.” I did also state I believed it to be unlikely.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Wow, fantastic write up. I want to add that kind of stuff to the OP I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I wanted to know, how often do you switch deck while playing at your lgs?

In yesterday's pauper event, we were only eight, and it's pretty much always the same people coming at the events, does it play into how you build or choose your decks?
Quite a few years ago Legacy was like this at my LGS. I’d craft my deck based on regulars for sure.