Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

3-0d my local pauper weekly with Dinrova Tron. It is everything Magic should be about - slowly not losing until you turn the corner and now your opponent can't ever win they just don't know it yet. Beat UR delver twice, 2-1 2-0 and UB reanimator once 2-0.

Edit: I'd never picked the deck up before so going to time was a real concern. We didn't, but I felt the time pressure in two out of three matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

feeling good about tomorrow's challenge

Is this your stonehorn list? Good luck!

E: I might take it for a spin tomorrow, if you have time could you do a quick writeup of rough SB plans?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

okay seriously gently caress Delver of Secrets

My UB control opponent opponent is playing Delver of Secrets in their Evincar's Justice deck. It might not be incorrect since a one mana 3/2 flier is kind of busted, but if the card is so powerful that people are playing it in the same deck as Evincar's Justice there's a problem.

Also I'm writing a big effort post on Stonehorn Tron. Expect a wall of text soon.

I just bought all the cards to convert Murasa Tron to Stonehorn to run it next tournament. Excited about this!
edit: also I think I lose to Delver more than any other card in Pauper, so busted.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Kurtofan posted:

My lgs is going to start doing pauper events by the end of april, any good primers when starting out? I've never played constructed magic before, should I look up online to see what decks look cool?

I'm really interested, and I already have a poo poo ton of unused commons.

If you've never played constructed before, it's very unlikely that you'll be able to build a competitive deck from what you have. That said, you should be able to use some, and decks are very inexpensive. Take a look at these and see if any strategies catch your eye and once you think you've found something, watch some youtube games.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

2-1 in our pauper weekly today with Boros Monarch, deck is great fun to play with every game being interesting. It does sometime draw a lot of air though compared to the Mulldrifter decks I've previously played though.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

Any sort of Rats deck is going to be a tremendous dog to Tron, either removal or Moment's Peace/Stonehorn-based. Whether you mean the UB Flicker deck that uses Chittering Rats, the Mono-Back Rats decks that play Ravenous/Chittering/Liliana's Spectre, or some sort of Relentless Rats or Rat Colony brew, Tron is going to beat it since the opponent just can't apply pressure fast enough.

e: also waiting on tiebreakers for the challenge, holy moley another 9th is gonna hurt...

e2: not 9th, top 8 time

Good luck! Are you streaming?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Congrats on 2nd Hellsau, awesome effort. Maybe I should get gud and build Tron online instead of just paper.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

My recordings from last Sunday's Pauper Challenge are up on Youtube. I played pretty bad in multiple rounds and there is no justice in the world so I won a bunch anyway.

Also I redid the in depth deck tech because the first one was terrible.

Been watching these, some at 1x and some at 1.5x. On to round 7 right now, this is good stuff and I'm learning a lot. Your clicking isn't annoying, you berating yourself for it is though a little bit. If it bugs you, can you set your mic up in a way that it doesn't pick it up? Just a thought. More content like this please!

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Jesus Hellsau, I would have been heaps saltier after that loss in the finals. MODO whitelist much?

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hey Hellsau, I had your deck in my cart in Cardhoarder before you came second and it's gone up a whole 6 tix when I went to order it right now, thanks a lot jerk.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Matsuri posted:

I take it Tron plays better in paper where you can explain a combo rather than demonstrate it ad infinitum?

Yes and no, I find that my opponents play on too long and waste both our time and I win 1-0-0 like 20% of the time even though I'm a fast player irl. It's a hell of a lot more convenient to play though, yeah.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hey Hellsau, any tips on the Tron mirror? Been matched twice against Dinrova in this league and I've squeaked through by my opponents being unlucky in one case and bad in the other but it's a lot more stressful than other matches where I always feel in control or at least like I have a clear gameplan. Post board it seems like Pyroblast is the most important card, and our gameplan is Capsize them off tron then off lands, but they have a lot more ways to disrupt our tron with Horrors than we do.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

Get Tron first. The mirror is stupid.

poo poo, I was hoping there was more to it than that haha

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

I thought I was a fast mtgo player, I've literally never timed out except when my connection has dropped.

This deck beat me :(

(I went into this game with 4 minutes remaining after I lost game 2 to a topdecked burn spell before I could draw a pulse or teachings after I stonehorn locked him. I did lose connection twice, but that's not why I timed out)

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

What should I cut for some Dinrova Horrors? Compulsive Research isn't doing it for me as a win condition.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau is back! Awesome.

I'm playing in a bunch of pauper at GP Melbourne, I have Tribe, Monarch and Stonehorn Tron in paper. Slightly more experience with Boros, then Tron, then Tribe trails a way back. I should just play Tron right? Concerned about finishing matches in time, but I guess I only have to win game one...

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

I can't imagine playing Stonehorn Tron in paper and actually finishing matches. You'd basically need to call a judge to watch for slowplay every game and also hope they actually do anything about slow play.

Went 2-0-1 today, deck felt great as usual, beat UG Turbofog and Boros Monarch easily then drew against UR Delver after I landed a turn 3 COP:Blue but fetched a Tron land instead of a green source in game 3. I then drew a lot of Tron lands instead of coloured sources. I eventually drew out of it but was two turns short of bouncing all his blockers and finishing him with Mulldrifters. Will run it back twice tomorrow and see how I go.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hey Hellsau, I have an untimed pauper league coming up, how would you build Tron if time wasn't a concern? If expect a few mirrors

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Just wanted to say I watch all your videos Hellsau, I learn a lot about sequencing and lines. Looks like the second mystical teachings being back in the deck enables a lot, will have to make that change. I'm 3-1 in that league, lost to UB Zuberas lol.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

@Hellsau, grats on winning the Challenge. Tron is so busted, esp the new configuration with less Stonehorns and Moments Peace when you play against nothing but Jeskai.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

44-9 is no joke, jesus.

If people haven't watched Caleb Gannon's Fishelbrand deck yet, this is a pro click

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Framboise posted:

In some fairness, how much of that is Tron being busted, and how much of it is Hellsau just being really good at Magic?

The best pros have lifetime winrates around 65%, Hellsau is close to 80% winrate. You can't really extrapolate that into anything beyond that even if Hellsau is very, very good and that sample is representative (probably not) then Tron is totally busted (it still definitely is)

Flea Bargain fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 11, 2019

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

So I went 3-1 in the first half of the league I mentioned upthread, losing to UB Zuberas with 4 maindeck Dispel :/ Sniped me good I guess. Anyway, this round I'm paired against 2 unknowns who I'll jam Tron against, and a Burn player and a Tron mirror. For both those I'm best of switching decks right? What's Burn's worst matchup, and should I just be playing Burn against the Tron player?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Hellsau posted:

to be fair astrolabe should have been banned in July and then maybe people wouldn't have been heavily incentivized to switch from basics to snow basics at a huge cost relative to the rest of the format

also it really pisses me off that they went for a half-measure ban, inexplicably leaving Ephemerate and Flicker around, meaning they are going to need to ban stuff either shortly before or shortly after the Format Championships, literally the most important Pauper tournament with an enormous first place prize

Are you just back on your old list but with Ephemerates? I don't think Mystic Sanctuary can make the cut without Astrolabe right?