Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Drake vs Drake. Forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Dehtraen posted:

Do you think Drake will survive another b&r announcement?

Hopefully it'll get hit hard with a ban.

Look, i play the deck. It isnt unbeatable. But it is incredibly oppressive and unhealthy for the format at large.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Death of Rats posted:

Not that they even approach tier 1, but I run White Weenie and Nightsky Mimic Extort as my main Pauper decks. I also have Delver Fiend, but I l'm kind of down on it at the moment (not finding it as much fun as the other decks). I also built BG Tortured Existence Dredge pre-KTK, but haven't updated it since Angler was printed. I should look into that - it was fun for a while.

TE Dredge is really, really fun that unfortunately feels like you are racing a soap bubble. It's a grindy deck that shits itself if graveyard or enchantment removal look at it sideways, and doesn't Just Win to reward the vulnerability.

That said it's my go to "reasons I love Pauper" rando deck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
How do non-black decks deal with Bogles?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Thanks guys. I'm trying to put together a set of (non-drake) Pauper decks that can play against each other sans sideboard without being utterly broken. I run Drake and before that UB Teachings so Boggles has never really been a big issue to me.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The only "reliable" counter I can figure to jam into non-drake decks is Faerie Macabre, and that still isn't great.

It'd be fantastic in Dead Dog except that Dead Dog is a fragile joke of a deck that I so desperately want to be good.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm well aware that Drake is amazing. I'm playing it in paper so I don't even need to worry about clock.

I'm the only one playing it and I'm the one asking the group to ban it. Other people argue with me that it isn't imbalanced as I go 3-0 or 4-0 for a fifth week.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Thank heavens.

To reply to the previous point, my playgroup goes by online Pauper legality so MBC doesn't get Sinkhole and Hymns.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Depending on your friends group you may want to put Elves over Stompy, since some people love Elves and huge/huge kills.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
That's fine if and only if you call it "Izzet Blizzet."

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there even a halfway decent combo deck remaining without Drake or Storm? There's 1 land burrito but that sure doesn't count.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Freed from the Real is fine, Midnight Gond would be fine if Delver didn't exist, and I plan on using the Chittering Rat + Mnemonic Wall + Ghostly Flicker combo to close out games with Teachings, but nothing nearly as dumb as Drake.

What's your experience with Freed? It seems way, way too fragile at a glance.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Anniversary posted:

So I recently realized I have an MTGO account from years ago and am looking to get into Pauper.

Whats a good deck that's: 1) good for grinding 2) forgiving of someone still learning the interface 3) cheap?

General pauper / MTGO advice is also appreciated.

Burn. It's _the_ civic of Pauper street races.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Anniversary posted:

Oh. Oh no. I am not a burn player.

No worries. I'd steer you more towards Boros Metalcraft over Grixis, but both are reasonable interactive decks.

I misunderstood your request for a grindy deck, thought you meant for grinding points, not individual games!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Oh, and Kuldotha Rebirth is almost exclusively played in decks that run Ichor Wellspring. And KR is played less now that Angelic Purge is an option.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

I'd rather run angelic purge and perilous research over Kuldotha Rebirth

Yeah, I run 3 Angelic Purges/ 2 Kuldotha Rebirth in Boros. I want to run WUR (Jeskai? I was out during the clans thing) but if I put in Mulldrifters I feel wrong if I'm not running Cloudshift and Momentary Blink.

Then I run more positive EtB effects.

What I'm saying is i miss Astral Slide.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Has Tortured Existence ever just not had it on turn 1? I've literally never seen it happen. Which is really annoying when your deck is exactly one card and otherwise does nothing.

Edit: So obviously the 2nd game of this match my opponent doesn't have it. Until they draw it on turn 3.

Yes. In fact playing it Turn 1 is often not a good idea. Not that it matters since the deck is bad.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Anything besides Chandra's Revolution and Renegade Map sparking people's interest?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

Defiant Salvager could be nice in some sort of GB sacrifice deck with bloodbriar

I can't see Defiant Salvager seeing play over Carrion Feeder in such a hypothetical deck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What list are you on now Hellsau? If you don't mind sharing.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Thanks, yeah, it has the same ban list as modern.

So, to cover all the bases...

Does it include the pauper ban list as well?

Does a card have to be printed at common in a modern legality set? Or is it sufficient to have been printed at common in any printing and also have been printed in modern?

All that said, oof the modern ban list alone kicks affinity too hard. I'd go Tron or Stompy, since the format is so much of a question mark I don't know what answers to pack.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

If I wanted to put together a handful of decks to smash into each other, what would a good spread of interesting archetypes be?

Could do worse than going to MTGTop8 and looking at some league 5-0s.

How many decks did you want to throw together, and do you want to put together sideboards for them?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Fair warning, you basically can't beat someone who plays counterspells or graveyard removal or just gains life. But that's part of the fun!

Oops All Spells

Songs of the Damned

oh also the Oops All Spells deck is absurdly expensive.

It's fun to hand to someone without explanation, but it's a bad, expensive joke that wears real thin.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Rules question, since I hate miracle triggers.

I'm flicker rats playing against NuBurn. They draw Thunderous Wrath, reveal, and put the miracle trigger on the stack. Can I flicker a Chittering Rat to put the Thunderous Wrath back on top of their deck, preventing the Thunderous Wrath from being cast?

Addendum, if that's possible. Later in the turn, if they deal draw the Thunderous Wrath again would they be able to trigger Miracle? I'm assuming no because it is no longer their first card of the turn but you never know.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What do you see as the big, if any, movers and shakers from Amonkhet?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The Cartouches really bump boggles up. Especially in the burn heavy environment that people seem to like around here.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Dang. Thanks anyways :respek:. I like the idea of having other resources to mess with besides life and mana.

Could we interest you in the wide world of Infect?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

If you want to play a creature combo deck, Lead the Stampede (freshly downshifted to common in Iconic Masters) makes Elves substantially better. You run 38-40 creatures, and getting three to five creatures off of a Lead the Stampede makes it much less likely that the opponent can just kill your few cards that matter and ignore the rest. A control deck used to be able to kill your Timberwatches, Huntmasters, big Elvish Vanguards and early Priests and just ignore your random manadorks since they can just play a 1/3 and laugh. Now the Elves deck can run 4x Distant Melody and 4x Lead the Stampede and at least put some pressure on the control decks to answer their dorks.

Even though this deck runs 12 Forests, and therefore has to mulligan a lot, I also flood out an unreasonable amount, drawing 7+ lands in 20 cards. It's pretty dumb!

e: just went 5-0, against UG LD (how the gently caress are people still playing that garbage?), Tron with Moment's Peace AND Dinrova Horror which is apparently a thing now, Mono-blue Delver, Burn, and Elves in the finals who also was 4-0. Maybe Elves is great!? My build is almost certainly wrong, Nettle Sentinel should be swapped out for Vanguards and/or Visionaries, and it probably needs the full four Sylvan Rangers, but this is what I ran:

https://pastebin.com/G7b4pZ9m

What are your thoughts on cutting some Forests and running Land Grant in their place? Looks like the only time it'd bite you in the rear end is when your opening hand is Island and Land Grant.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

little munchkin posted:

i feel that giving away information is losing more value than you're gaining from the deck thinning. The challenge of playing against elves is wisely using a limited amount of removal/counterspells. Do you bolt that mana elf to slow down their development or save it for a payoff card? Land Grant gives your opponent the answer to that question.

Fair and reasonable. I'm getting worse because I've been playing local pauper and man is it not a good meta.w

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

So this is the infect deck I've been running:

code:
2 Apostle's Blessing
1 Barren Moor
2 Doom Blade
4 Flensermite
12 Forest
4 Glistener Elf
2 Groundswell
4 Ichorclaw Myr
4 Mutagenic Growth
4 Phytoburst
4 Plague Stinger
3 Rancor
4 Seal of Strength
5 Swamp
1 Tranquil Thicket
4 Vines of Vastwood

2 Apostle's Blessing
2 Diabolic Edict
1 Ebony Charm
4 Fog
2 Kitesail
2 Nature's Claim
2 Tranquility
I really like it, but I have a hard time dealing with all the removal. My buddy is playing this U/W inside out/monarch deck with faeries that I just cant seem to beat. Some people suggested shifting the deck into U/B Infect or something for the counters. Any tips on how to make the deck better/faster/or more robust?

I've been playing a lot on xmage which helps me understand how the deck works, but when playing in real life, I don't have the hand holding of the software and I mess up a ton. Are there any fun little infographs or something that would help me remember the phases and what can be used when?

Ranger's Guile is another anti-removal pump spell.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

Guys!

I played in my first pauper tournament and I placed high enough to win a free pack! :yayclod:

The fun part is that I got to pick any pack, and I chose an unstable pack for them sweet sweet borderless lands and got a forest. This was also my very first MTG pack I've ever opened, so I earned my first. I was super stoked!

There were only 16 people in the tournament, and my flgs does them every Wednesday, so it wasn't a big deal or anything, but I had a blast and played with my infect deck you guys helped me build. :3:

Are you in the Portland area by any chance?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

trillocity posted:

Assuming you mean Oregon, there are a couple stores that have dedicated Pauper nights. Time Vault (downtown on Broadway) has theirs Monday night and generally gets 6-8 people, and I think Red Castle Games (in the Southeast) has theirs on Thursday, but doesn't advertise it, so it doesn't fire consistently. If there are other stores that you know of that play Pauper, please let me know!

Retro Game Trader in Beaverton is trying to get Wednesday night Pauper going. So far it's a very (very) soft crowd, but it's no entry cost and the staff is friendly. I have never actually been out to Time Vault, I should hit it up one of these days.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Sinkhole is ~$3 in paper. Same for Chain Lightning.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
You mentioned binder. Are you playing at a store, and if so are they using the MTGO banlist.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

In actual Pauper news, apparently Ninjustu is bugged and you can only activate it after damage is dealt, making Delver effectively unplayable. Get out you decks that are dogs to UR/Mono-U Delver and play them before they fix this bug sometime three or four years from now.

Mtgo.txt

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Our local flgs pauper scene got destroyed. One friend of the owner asked that it be moved back from 6pm to start at 7:30 on a Wednesday so his other friend could show up. The store closes at 9. The matches became frantic races against a 30 minute clock, the attitude went from relaxed to rush rush rush. This put off a lot of newer players who were excited about a cheap format who stopped coming because they didn't want to be pressured.

For bonus points, the friend never materialized

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Matsuri posted:

True, but there's at least something to be said for a 2/3 that can block almost anything without issue and can attack through almost anything without issue too. I dunno if it's the right choice for Boros, but it may have a very welcome home in decks with pump spells.

Those pump spells would have to be multicolored as well.

It can block almost anything. That doesn't fly (Boros/Jeskai/Delver). And isn't unblockable or have shadow (Izzet Blitz). Or multicolored (Boggles).

It's an okay blocker against Elves until they overwhelm with the swarm and/or pump an unblocked dude for lethal. If Boggles geared up Gladecover then it is likely GG.

But in the end, it just doesn't do enough. And it was one of my first pet cards.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
I'm guessing Golgari Toolbox was Tortured Existence?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Building a set of loaner decks for local pauper nights. Does Stompy really not run any Bonesplitters or Garruk's Companions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Something with 4x Stonehorn Dignitary. Getting free wins against everything with Forests and most things with Plains is too good.

Yep. The only out Elves has to a active flicker Dignitary is a side boarded Mob Justice if they're still running Birchlore Rangers. And that requires 20+ elves on the field. Save your removal for their Huntmasters and they aren't getting there.