Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
If anyone wants to play Pauper leagues online, just play UR Drake. People keep playing decks that just lose to a Bolt or two, or that can't outgrind the blue value engine, so you get to beat everything. Most opposing Drake players also don't play the mirror well, such as just tapping out for a Mulldrifter on turn 5 and allowing you to combo safely.

Basically UR Drake is the best way to go infinite+ right now. You could probably play a different deck for fun, just don't be surprised or salty if you can't beat Drake in the leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Do you think Drake will survive another b&r announcement?

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked - WotC are really, really dumb. I certainly hope they ban Drake and Delver at the same time, because the meta before Drake also wasn't entirely healthy, but they'll probably ban Drake this September, Delver will hit 30% of the meta and then they'll ban Delver after like a year.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Hey do you guys hate Peregrine Drake? Yes? Too bad I don't have anything for you. If you instead want to beat up all the decks people are playing to try to beat UR Drake and failing, how about UW Drake?

http://pastebin.com/eFuVz9SY

Familiars let you cheat on mana earlier, Stonehorn Dignitary plus Archaeomancer is an instant win combo against a large amount of the field, and other than that it's just Drake which has proven to be overpowered. Basically you are much worse in the mirror game one due to no Counterspell, and worse postboard due to no Pyroblast. You're also worse against Teachings since those white cards are really bad. On the other hand, Stonehorn Dignitary makes all those creature decks like Bogles and Stompy significantly easier to beat and makes Affinity find Atog + Fling which gives you a lot of time, and Lone Missonary plus Hydroblast and Stonehorn make Burn, RDW and Goblins trivial post-board. Plus, Familiar led to two different turn 4 combo wins, and that feels pretty filthy. Dignitary also helps against the fast Ulamog's Crusher decks, since it gives you something to do against a turn 4 Crusher.

I've gone 4-1, 5-0, 4-1 with this deck, and it's performed exactly as expected. Lost to UR Drake and felt very disadvantaged against multiple game 1 Counterspells and game 2 Pyroblasts, lost to Delver off a turn 3 Delver blindflip into a Counterspell and drawing 9 lands 9 spells with no ability to draw out the Counterspell. Beat a UR Drake due to just knowing the mirror better. Crushed a bunch of Stompy and Bogles and Affinity. If you're tired of winning every UR Drake mirror because the opponent just taps all five of their mana for a Drake, gets countered and you combo win next turn, this deck is for you!

You can't fit Counterspell in the deck because the manabase is really bad. You can cut the Familiars, swap the Vestiges out and just play white for only Stonehorn and sideboard cards, but I'd rather just play mono-blue at that point. Going Esper isn't great because you don't need more Familiars, stretching the manabase isn't worth it, and you don't need something like Reaping the Graves to outgrind people when you're already playing a bunch of 2-for-1 creatures. There's a chance that there's some sort of Jeskai Drake out there, where you just play red maindeck for Bolts and side into Stonehorn/Pyroblast, and that's what I'll try out next. Maybe some sort of Jeskai Drake Tron. Dignitary has been a game winner so far.

If you don't want to play Drake, see you in January!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

People always have and always will play mono-black even though it's terrible and doesn't have good match-ups against anything, let alone Drake.

Yeah basically this. I played against MBC twice with that UW Drake deck, a deck with 8 maindeck cards that just don't do anything (Familiars just eat removal, Stonehorn doesn't matter) and it just isn't a winnable matchup for MBC or any deck trying to do something similar. If you're trying to outgrind someone playing twelve 2-for-1 creatures, Compulsive Research, free 2/3 fliers and a combo kill you just won't win.

PJOmega posted:

How do non-black decks deal with Bogles?

Bogles loses to itself. It needs so many things to win -

A) Green and White mana, at least two, three if Mask or Cloak are involved
B) A hexproof creature
C) An Armor or Mask
D) A source of trample
E) A lifelink source if racing

I mean if the Bogles deck hits perfect they'll win turn four, but it's not consistent. Drake can just lose turn four when playing against Bogles, but most of the time the Bogles deck needs time to use Abundant Growths and Manamorphose to cycle through and find the enchantment they need, or get slowed down by tapped lands, or just never finds a source of trample and just get chump blocked once or twice and get comboed out.

Also the sideboard cards against Bogles are just brutal. It's basically impossible to win against something like an Aura Flux or Serene Heart or CoP:Green, and even stuff like Electrickery can be a massive blowout if the cards come out right. Basically,

little munchkin posted:

Also like Modern, a lot of people's Bogles plan is "hope you don't play against it".

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 21, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Please do not sideboard the card "Relic of Progenitus" in against Peregrine Drake combo decks. It will more often than not be actively harmful to your gameplan. Frequently, people will play it, then hold up a mana for multiple turns without cracking the drat thing, and when they finally get to pop the Relic to eat a Ghostly Flicker, the Drake player just plays another goddamn Flicker, because they've seen 35 cards or whatever. I just got out of a game against UB Teachings where game 3 they played a turn 1 Relic that did worse than nothing. They started game three at under 5 minutes on their clock. They were using the Relic to clear my graveyard out, while I was just using counterspells to force through 2-for-1 creatures to grind them out. As my creatures started dying, I would exile them to the Relic, because why not? It's not like I play a Reaping the Graves. A good number of turns later, after I have four creatures exiled from Relic tapping and a reasonable amount of power on the board, my opponent casts Mystical Teachings to tutor for Crypt Incursion.

So they paid a mana, discarded a card, and paid twelve life. I killed them with the combo. That is not a good magic card! That is a bad magic card! Don't loving side in graveyard hate against Drake decks, because they're just going to draw twenty more cards than you and still combo you out.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Well you can call me Mr. Only Idiot then, my White Weenie opponent that I beat twice in a row, because Drake is too goddamn good. I've gone 4-1 and 5-0 with this deck:

Instead of red removal, this deck just tries to combo out faster by using cantrips to setup Coiling Oracle flipping lands into play, and going for the combo before the opponent can mount a reasonable offense or defense. The fetchland manabase enables Brainstorms to shuffle away useless cards for a particular matchup, or shuffle away the third card from a Ponder, while also providing more support for the Oracle. This deck doesn't have an actual win condition aside from beating with creatures, but it has a Gigadrowse to tap the opponent down, then it can make lots of mana and Capsize the opponent's board away, and it can just put three Counterspells into its hand by looping Mancers and lock the opponent out. It takes a long time, but it's effective and efficient cardwise, if poorly time efficient. Since the deck is already playing a bunch of situational one-ofs, I don't think it can fit something like a Compulsive Research. It's already running only three Mulldrifters since it has Oracles to ensure that the Drake/Mancer/Flicker combo is actually lethal, and I'd rather have the fourth Mulldrifter over the first Compulsive.

This version of the deck is better in the UR Drake mirror game 1, and worse game 2, since it can ramp out faster than the opponent using Oracle and combo first, and it has Counterspells just like the UR deck does, and Capsize on a bounceland is usually game-ending. On the other hand, Pyroblast is really good, much better than Dispel, so post-board Gigadrowse and Capsize have to do a lot of work. The Moment's Peace(s) make matchups like White Weenie, Stompy and Bogles significantly easier, in addition to the Oracles helping the deck just combo faster, but unfortunately the Delver matchup is significantly worse without removal or Pyroblast, so this deck is going back on the shelf. It's just too stupid losing matches simply because in games 1 and 3 the opponent is playing first and just goes Delver blindflip counter counter counter oops you're dead.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Card Kingdom's next Pauper tournament is running the MTGO ban list plus the usual suspects and Drake banned as well. What should I run in a no-drake meta? Would love to play Teachings but opponents play slow as hell against the deck and closing out games quickly is tough when people don't concede and just start playing for the draw.

Thoughts? I'm pretty much comfortable playing everything other than Affinity. Last tournament there were a lot of Drake decks, prior ones I ran into a lot of mono white w/ soul sisters and mono black.

Just run Delver. The card Delver of Secrets leads to too many free wins to not just play it in a Drake-free environment. You'll probably want to run a good number of Bonesplitters if you expect MBC and stuff, since it turns all your dorks into sizable threats.

and then hopefully they'll ban Delver and we can go back to playing other colors.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Knowing the local meta there I would be a little worried about running just mono u delver but i think I could swing UB for peace of mind, will have to ht up MTG Pulse review some lists and do some testing

If you're expecting a bunch of MBC, reducing the number of threats you have and making your threats worse against their removal doesn't seem great. One deck has a bunch of cheap weenies that can carry a Bonesplitter and have additional effects that give you value like the Faeries and Ninja, and the other has a 5/5 that gets Edicted. It's also way better to be playing a bunch of fliers and Spellstutter Sprites against White Weenie than some ground fatties and removal.

Of course you could just play Teachings and beat MBC and White Weenie all day long.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

I really should just play teachings, but some sort of faster build that can close out the game a lot quicker.

Creature-based Teachings is great, either using Anglers as a quick clock, or Oracles/Mulldrifters for value, or going full on combo finish by having Chittering Rats, Mnemonic Wall and a Ghostly Flicker to lock the opponent out of a draw step while also providing some value creatures, and you can have a Capsize to bounce the opponent's board.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Yo pauper goons, I just had a crazy thought - is Rhystic Study just a mirror breaker for Drake decks? It's a must-counter threat that comes down early, requires no more input and just taxes the opponent forever. Any counter war results in you drawing lots of cards or getting a massive mana advantage, and the opponent is obligated to find a Pyroblast fast or it will just put the game out of reach for them. I'd test it myself but Studies are like 3 tix.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Play UR Drake, get all the chests, get nothing in the chests, repeat. I got 80 Play Points which is 10 more than I would have gotten with the old system, a Solemn Simulacrum invention which is selling for 5 tix and being bought for 2.5 tix, and nothing else. Nice system, WotC. Solemn Simulacrum would be a sick card in UR Drake, too. I tried adding it to my deck but it wouldn't let me join a league :(

There's gotta be something going on, I've never felt more advantaged in Magic than with this deck since never played Caw Blade. It's much more ubiquitous than Twin or Pod were in Modern, and significantly more powerful compared to everything else in the format, and there isn't any good sideboard cards to bring in against Drake. That last match was against UG Land Destruction where I countered a Sylvan Ranger (I thought they were on Temur Tokens) and walked a bounceland into Temporal Spring and still won because Drake is a stupid deck.

also yet again I played against someone who brought in Relic of Progenitus and proceeded to pay five mana and discard a card to accomplish nothing, nice work Stompy opponent.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

The only "reliable" counter I can figure to jam into non-drake decks is Faerie Macabre, and that still isn't great.

It'd be fantastic in Dead Dog except that Dead Dog is a fragile joke of a deck that I so desperately want to be good.

Faerie Macabre, again, only deals with the first Archaeomancer trigger or eats the first Ghostly Flicker. That's not worth spending a card on. If there were something like Scavenging Ooze or Withered Wretch, maybe, but you just cannot afford to spend mana and cards guarding against one triggered ability from your opponent, when they're very capable of just going turn 5 Drake, Drake, Flicker both for 12 mana, Archaeomancer targeting Flicker, and then play a second Flicker once you've blown the graveyard removal spell you've spent resources on.

When a Burn deck goes turn 1 Relic, turn 2 Insolent Neonate which gets bolted, and then waits until turn 12 to pop the Relic, they can't win because they're playing cards that don't do anything against a deck that, if they trade one of their cards for one of your cards seven times, you'll be left with nothing and they'll still have seven cards in hand! That was my opponent's line, and they claimed to have a 70% winrate against Drake, which seems unlikely.

Also I beat someone with active Tortured Existance and Faerie Macabre back when Drake first came out and it hadn't yet beaten everyone's spirits down - end of turn Gigadrowse, oops I have two Flickers in hand because you gave me twelve turns to play a bunch of good cards.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Geez, I count 16 5-0's in leagues with Drake decks for you? That's only published results, so I'm sure there are more? That's a lot of tickets from packs though, what've you been doing with all the extra tickets, cashing out or building decks for other formats?

For the record, regarding treasure chests, every time I've seen players open them on stream they are always garbage.

Yeah they didn't publish my 5-0s with either UW or UG Drake, but got all the UR Drake results around it. I really wish Drake would have been banned immediately upon release of Eternal Masters, because I had been goldfishing and posting stuff in the main thread about how bullshit the card was like a month before the set was even online. I've bought into Legacy and Vintage, and I'm currently just banking tickets to either branch out into more Vintage decks, or buy into Standard/Modern and play MOCS events, and it's all from winning a shitton with Drake. Turns out if you win 80% of your matches, it doesn't really matter how much WotC cuts down prizes, you'll still end up in a good spot.

Also I opened 3 chests today, got 15 play points and two rares and I was like, this is bullshit, but I opened Submerge, an uncommon, which is apparently 21 tix because Masques draft is the worst thing ever. Most valuable card opened in ~100 chests is an uncommon.

PJOmega posted:

I'm well aware that Drake is amazing. I'm playing it in paper so I don't even need to worry about clock.

I'm the only one playing it and I'm the one asking the group to ban it. Other people argue with me that it isn't imbalanced as I go 3-0 or 4-0 for a fifth week.

Jesus Drake has to be WAY better in paper, since you can just combo off and gain infinite life with a Cliffs in play. A small portion of my games are tough, where I need to judge whether I can throw away my Oracle chump blocking when I have the combo, but don't have a second creature to go with the Mancer to actually do anything, and I need to make a decision whether I can spend 7 minutes to gain 40 life and if that'll buy me enough time to find a win, while still having enough time to actually win the match.

Given how unwinnable the matchup is for MBC online, I can't really imagine that Hymn and Sinkhole really make it that much better.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

loving finally. Now they just need to ban

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Thank heavens.

To reply to the previous point, my playgroup goes by online Pauper legality so MBC doesn't get Sinkhole and Hymns.

Then yeah UR Drake isn't beatable in a normal metagame, so it's a good thing Drake is banned. Now to wring all the value from them over the next two weeks before going back to playing Flicker Rats and Delver variants.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Want a really fun Teachings deck for paper? Skred Teachings. Here's the list I made in paper:

quote:

4 Brainstorm
4 Counterspell
4 Evolving Wilds
2 Exclude
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Snow-Covered Forest
4 Swirling Sandstorm
4 Mystical Teachings
3 Shimmering Grotto
4 Skred
4 Accumulated Knowledge
8 Snow-Covered Island
3 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Sprout Swarm
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Flame Slash
4 Prohibit

4 Gurmag Angler
2 Ancient Grudge
3 Hydroblast
4 Pyroblast
2 Electrickery

Sprout Swarm is a very fast win condition in paper. It is very much not good for MTGO. This list was made a few months ago, so it'd be updated with more Ash Barrens soon.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Pauper League has closed, so Drake is now dead. Good night you scaly bastard, I'll always remember you. Now to wait a day for the treasure chests to be stocked with boosters instead of play points.

Stats since September: 264 games played in Pauper, 75% winrate. Winnings bought me into Legacy Miracles and Vintage Mentor/Paradox. Drake was totally unreasonable and I hope WotC has learned that a free 2/3 flier is better than a 1/1 flier, and that untapping 5 lands is more powerful than untapping 2 lands.

also probably should go ahead and ban stuff when it warps the metagame and has a high winrate and has the lion's share of the 5-0 spots

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Is there even a halfway decent combo deck remaining without Drake or Storm? There's 1 land burrito but that sure doesn't count.

Freed from the Real is fine, Midnight Gond would be fine if Delver didn't exist, and I plan on using the Chittering Rat + Mnemonic Wall + Ghostly Flicker combo to close out games with Teachings, but nothing nearly as dumb as Drake.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Voyager I posted:

How is Gond's problem Delver decks and no the fact that they're trying to stick an aura on a creature that dies to bolt in Spot Removal: The Format?

Because Gond decks can be built to just be a tokens deck that uses the Gond combo to go over the top when needed. Delver does not give a poo poo how many two mana 1/1s you play when it can just fly over and kill you, while also countering your Scatters and Snapping anything you try to enchant.

PJOmega posted:

What's your experience with Freed? It seems way, way too fragile at a glance.

Gigadrowse is a messed up Magic card and goes a long way to giving you free reign to go off, or let you go off with only enough mana for one Counterspell. We'll see how quickly everyone goes back to MBC and junky Metalcraft value decks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Welp opened those 54 chests, got 118 tickets in stuff plus a bunch of new cards like Leovold which have literally no price right now. Good times. Packs being in boosters is real nice.

Also the art on Ash Barrens is actually really sweet.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PSA: Don't play Elves:

Hilarious when you face a removal-less creature deck, terrible when you face a deck with Bolts, and I've never been flooded more than with this stupid 13 land deck. This is the second League I've tried to play Elves and more games than not I've drawn 6+ lands. You can still win with that many lands because Timberwatch Elf is a messed up magic card, but still, there's a reason this deck doesn't play that many lands.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Finally settled on a deck - Flicker Rats is back, baby! Wall of text incoming.

http://pastebin.com/ufWULJD5

There's a lot of other people playing a stock list. The stock list is bad. People are just netdecking the first version to 5-0 without thinking about the card choices. Reasons it is bad:
  • Cycle lands suck. Tapped lands in general are crap - the gain lands are fine because they allow you to play Counterspell and Chittering Rats while also allowing you to win against Burn, and the bouncelands are great because the deck is mana hungry up until you have five to eight mana, depending on your hand, so a double land really helps. Cycle lands don't give you either of those options, and tapped lands are a significant cost when you're trying to cast a bunch of durdly creatures.
  • Brainstorm plus Ash Barrens is the real deal. There's a hell of a lot of value to be gained shuffling Doom Blades away against MBC, or shuffling graveyard-based cards away if your opponent is dumb enough to play Relic of Progenitus. Even if you play a different cantrip over Brainstorm, Ash Barrens helps shuffle away bad card with Ponder, and is actually reasonable mana fixing by itself.
  • 1 Unearth? 1 Reaping the Graves? No Teachings to find Flicker/Reaping? Come on.
  • Dead Weight in the graveyard instead of Disfigure is going to feel really bad when you have five mana, facing a flipped Delver or a Ninja, and have an Archaeomancer in hand.
  • Radiant Fountain in a deck with heavy color requirements is just greedy nonsense.
  • Sideboard: Nausea is extremely mediocre - the decks it crushes are bringing in Spidersilk Armor or Veteran Armorer/Lumithread Field to counteract it, and if you switch those with Crypt Rats you also get to bring them in against Kuldotha without just having a dead card against a mess of white value creatures.
  • Relic of Progenitus is not useful unless, somehow, there's a bunch of Tortured Existence or Reanimator that I haven't come across. It's still "Discard a card, pay 1 mana per turn: Slightly inconvenience your opponent if they draw one of three cards" which is not worth anything.
  • Stormbound Geist is crap in all your bad matchups, and even against Delver if you're hoping your three mana creature doesn't get countered or bounced, you're going to lose. Also it doesn't block Ninja even against Delver. It isn't like this deck cares about Edicts, it's playing a million 2-for-1 creatures!

So, there's some problems with that list. My changes:

• Brainstorm over Preordain is the biggest change. To support it, I've switched to an Ash Barrens-based mana base. It's been adequate. I've had to mulligan one landers where the only land is Ash Barrens - with or without Preordain/Brainstorm, you probably shouldn't be keeping one land hands anyway. This deck has plenty of ways to dig itself out of a card disadvantage hole, it really can't win if it just misses its third land drop twice. Brainstorm is adequate with Sea Gate Oracle, since it lets you bottom the worst card in your hand, which is frequently the only actual bad card in your hand because the deck is full of good cards.
  • To supplement the Brainstorms, I've got two Mystical Teachings as additional shuffle effects. I've rejiggered the spells to for that - one Flicker is enough, one Reaping is enough, a Snuff Out does things that nothing else will, and having a Diabolic Edict to search up helps against Bogles or Angler. Recoil is still bananas against bouncelands turn 3, and Recoiling a Journey to Nowhere or Oubliette that's eaten a Mulldrifter is just dirty.
  • Crypt Rats is not optional. It turns White Weenie, Bogles, Elves, and all the other crappy weenie decks into cakewalks. You also can keep it in against other decks full of X/2s to clear them out so your Edicts can get stuff done - I'll have 3-4 Crypt Rats in against Tron, for instance, to wipe their Oracles and Mulldrifters so I can Edict their Marauders and Crushers, and it's also really good against the versions that play Maul Splicer. Against Kuldotha Boros, apparently the meta has decided that playing extremely aggressively with Rebirth and Battle Screeches is a good idea, and being able to turn 4 Crypt Rats the opponents board away is great, and later you can use Crypt Rats to remove all the opponents white value creatures without expending a large number of cards. I was running one Crypt Rats in the main, but swapped an Edict out for a second one maindeck
  • Sideboard: More Mancers for the grindy matchups, the rest of the Edicts/Crypt Rats as needed, a few Choking Sands for Tron, the full set of Hydroblasts because Burn/Goblins, and 3 Dispels for the blue decks and Burn.

Note, I've played against zero Affinity decks in my previous 40 matches with this deck, which is concerning. In theory, a bunch of Edicts and counters should fare reasonably well against the normal Affinity draws while losing to the four 4/4s on turn 3 or triple-Thoughtcast draws, and the Hydroblasts help stop Atog shenanigans post-board, but I just haven't faced it yet.

Matches:

MBC - Easy matchup. Play lots of 2-for-1 creatures, grind your opponent out, eventually Reaping back four creatures and win the game. Brainstorm really gives its all this match, since you have a bunch of do-nothings sometimes. Kill/counter their creatures even if you think they have Unearth - there's no reason to let them develop for the times they don't. If you think they have Okiba-Gang Shinobi, you need to keep in Disfigure, and you should more aggressively use removal. All you want to do is trade off, play better creatures than them, and then win through card advantage. Some people play artifact lands specifically to deal with Wrench Mind, but I've run out of basics in my library before for Barrens, and if you discard two cards, you'll just make those cards back after playing some Oracles and Mulldrifters. If your MBC opponent plays a Relic, don't panic - if they keep it in play, they're effectively down a card, and you can use Brainstorms to shuffle graveyard cards away. If they keep mana up, they're also down mana and it should be easy enough to play your creatures without falling behind or leaving yourself open to shenanigans. If they tap out, you can play a spell and then Mancer it back immediately, and then their Relic basically only weakens Reaping (until they're forced to sacrifice their Relic to draw some removal and then you just get them with the Reaping you've been sandbagging.) If you go to game 3 and you know they're going to just keep the Relic in play forever, take out the Reaping for the fourth Crypt Rats. Mancer is still fine.
Sideboard: -2 Doom Blade, -1 Snuff Out ||| +2 Archaeomancer, +1 Crypt Rats

Elves - Easy. Kill Timberwatch and Huntmaster (or Vanguard when it gets big), kill Priest if you can't counter Distant Melody, and then just win because the opponent's deck doesn't do anything anymore. Crypt Rats is unbeatable for the opponents - they'll bring in Spidersilk Armor to stop Nausea/Wail of the Nim, and you can just play a turn 3 Crypt Rats and tell them to go to hell.
Sideboard: -1 Reaping, -1 Recoil ||| +2 Crypt Rats. Add more Mancers and Edicts if you want, I'd rather just have more 2/2s.

White Weenie - Don't walk into a Rally the Peasants, kill all the opponents stuff, aggressively trade your creatures away, etc. It's like Elves except with less good cards and no Distant Melody. Crypt Rats is nuts here, and Recoil makes a mockery of Journey to Nowhere. If they're not on the Tokens build, you can bring in more Edicts and take out some of the nonsense.
Sideboard: -1 Reaping, -1 Diabolic Edict ||| +2 Crypt Rats

Bogles - Crypt Rats away their X/1s, Edict their Voltron. Assuming their deck doesn't just fart itself out. Bogles is a terrible deck. Post-board, leave in enough removal for Aura Gnarlid. If you're feeling saucy, you can bring in Choking Sands to get them if they put a bunch of enchantments on a Forest - same thing works with Recoil. Remember that a 17/17 isn't actually a threat if it doesn't have trample, you can just block it with Oracle and Rats. This deck is well suited to crushing Bogles, so the stock list playing two Aura Flux seems like overkill. If they bring in Young Wolf for your Edicts, you can Rats for X=1 three times by holding CTRL (or X=2 while holding then CTRL X=1) to take it out.
Sideboard: -2 Disfigure, -1 Echoing Decay, -1 Reaping. -1 Flicker ||| +2 Edict, +2 Crypt Rats, +1 Archaeomancer

Burn - Game 1 is winnable but rough. You won't beat eight Bolts and two Fireblasts, but if the opponent plays a bunch of creatures into your removal, or if you get a bunch of gain lands and Chittering Rats and Counterspells, you can maneuver a Mancer + Flicker combo on either Chittering Rats to lock them out, or a gain land to just gain a bunch of life. Be careful of walking an Oracle or Rats into a Landfalled Searing Blaze - do everything you can to avoid that, but sometimes you just need to play a dude and pray. After sideboard you're vastly favored if they leave in creatures, and probably favored if they play correctly. Curse of the Pierced Heart is the most dangerous card in their deck, and you now get Hydroblasts. You have to leave some removal in just in case they have Alchemists still in the deck (or just to kill a Marauder to save three damage) but that's fine you had too many cards to take out already. Your gameplan is to counter everything - sometimes you need to let some Lava Spikes through to avoid letting a Curse resolve, but if you stay above 10 life and have counters in hand, you can eventually start Mancering back Hydroblasts and just negate anything they're doing. Be careful of Molten Rain on bouncelands.
Sideboard: -1 Recoil, -1 Reaping, -2 Crypt Rats, -1 Snuff Out, -2 Disfigure, -1 Echoing Decay, -1 Diabolic Edict ||| +3 Dispel, +4 Hydroblast, +2 Mancers.

Also, Burn players, please stop leaving in Thermo-Alchemists against any deck with removal. I keep winning easily against them because I get to trade 1-for-1 with the dorky creatures, and Burn cannot afford to trade 1-for-1 without dealing damage. They're also horrible topdecks, and they stop you from winning the traditional way against counter decks (use lots of burn to weaken the opponent, draw seven spells, end of turn spell spell spell, untap spell spell spell Fireblast.)

Kuldotha Boros - Kill their early pressure. Yes, it's card disadvantage to use a Disfigure on a Glint Hawk that returned a Prism, it doesn't matter. Apparently all the Kuldotha decks cut Mulldrifter, and if your opponents game plan is to try to outgrind you when you have Counterspell and Mulldrifter, good luck to them. The way you lose is if the opponent is allowed to keep four power on the table for a few turns, or get you down to 10 life and just burn you out. Sideboard you have Hydroblasts to stop early Rebirths, opposing Pyroblasts and to deal with them trying to burn you out, and Crypt Rats can just wrath the opponent to allow you to turn the game around. If the Jeskai deck comes back, you'll want to sideboard Choking Sands against them to cack their bouncelands, because that deck is absurdly mana hungry. Against the Boros deck they're probably too slow if the opponent doesn't just happen to play a turn 2 bounceland. If you can trick your opponent into playing Journey on one of your creatures and get to Recoil it, you'll feel like a god, but Recoil is also just fine at hitting early Bouncelands or keeping you alive.
Sideboard: -2 Disfigure, -1 Diabolic Edict, -1 Chittering Rats, -1 Snuff Out ||| +2 Crypt Rats, +3 Hydroblasts.

Tron - If they turn 3 Tron + Prophetic Prism and play a bunch of Mulldrifters, you're going to lose because they're the better Mulldrifter deck when Tron is on. If they just play a bunch of 5/5s and 8/8s, that's easily beatable. Try to cack a Tronland with Recoil if they're empty handed, counter Mulldrifter, etc. Prophetic Prism is the most important card to their deck, so keep an eye out if they're stuck off of colored mana and you see an opportunity to counter a Prism, feel free. Post board, Choking Sands can be great, or it can be terrible. Sometimes they hit Tron, play a Map, and you draw the Sands. Don't be afraid to shuffle it away with Brainstorm even if Tron is the only reason it's in the sideboard. Your gameplan post-board is to deny them Tron if possible, but otherwise you want to just Crypt Rats away their value creatures and kill their boom-booms.
Sideboard: Depends on the version. -2 Disfigure, -1 Echoing Decay ||| +2 Crypt Rats +2 Choking Sands for sure. If they have multiple Rolling Thunders, have at least one Hydroblast in. If you don't think they have Relics, bring in more Archaeomancers. If you know they have Relics, take out the Reaping but leave in at least a couple Archaeomancers. If they're on the mono-green version, play more Edicts. If they have a bunch of Condescends, consider bringing in some Dispels for it and Pulse. If you need to cut a card, Recoil is really only there for stealing wins when the opponent goes empty handed while also being able to just bounce a fatty when needed, so it's cuttable.

Delver - If they go turn 1 Delver blind flip and you can't remove it, you'll probably lose. Snuff Out is really good in this matchup, same with Disfigure. Try not to walk into Spellstutter Sprite, try to keep their board presence at bay, and work towards resolving a Crypt Rats or a Mulldrifter. Post-board, Dispel makes resolving Crypt Rats easier, and other than that it's just working through Stormbound Geists and Spire Golems with your other removal spells. Recoil buys a lot of time against a Geist, which you hopefully can use to wrath with Rats and then Edict.
Sideboard: -1 Reaping, -1 Ghostly Flicker, -1 Diabolic Edict, -2 Chittering Rats ||| +2 Crypt Rats, +3 Dispel

Stompy - Played it once, the opponent had a bad draw one game and walked into a Snuff Out on their creature they were targeting with Rancor in the other. Use your removal ASAP to kill their first creature to stop Bloodlust. Rancor is the only good card in Stompy, and trying to limit your exposure to allowing them to Rancor up a creature is the best plan. Will report back, this should be a rough matchup against a good draw.
Sideboard: -1 Reaping, -1 Flicker, -1 Recoil ||| +2 Crypt Rats, +1 Edict.

Other Mulldrifter decks (UB, UR, etc.) - Don't let Mulldrifter resolve, don't walk your spells into counter mana, etc. Run Rats and Oracles into counters while leaving your own counters up, and try to outgrind the opponent. If there's even a chance the UR deck has Spellstutter Sprite, don't walk your Brainstorms into them unless you can kill it with the trigger on the stack. If your opponent casts three Mulldrifters and you cast one, you're going to lose, so don't be amazed when that happens. Post-board you get Dispels to force your spells through, plus other cards depending on what you see.
Sideboard: Play it by ear. Did they have a bunch of Faeries and Ninjas? Keep in the Disfigures. Is it the Rats mirror? Take out most of the removal, bring in more Crypt Rats and Mancers and Dispels. Consider bringing in Choking Sands on the play if you want to steal a win by hitting an early bounceland. Hydroblast is usually bad against the UR deck unless you saw a weird spell, since it's not worth bringing in solely for Pyroblast.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 4, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Choking Sands in my Flicker Rats sideboard should 100% be Rancid Earth. You then can bring it in against the heavy Tokens builds for extra wraths. The two damage from Choking Sands should never matter.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Stompy is an insanely easy match when the opponent plays their pump spells out of order. I suspect that Stompy would benefit from some Gitaxian Probes for the Flicker matchup. Knowing when you can and cannot Rancor, or when to setup a Hunger of the Howlpack, would be good. Probe is the only thing that makes the Kiln Fiend deck playable, since you really do need to know when you can just go for it, and it seems like Stompy has so many vulnerable pump spells that knowing what to sequence would be valuable.

Obviously I'm not going to play Stompy enough to find out because I can't draw Rancors, the only good card in that deck, but someone else can.

Also, today I learned Magnify is symmetrical. I remember knowing that like fifteen years ago, but I figured they'd have printed "G, Instant: Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn" by now. I played a Crypt Rats against four 1/1 elves, tapped my last mana to Rats for 1, and they cast Magnify. I'm like, "okay, I've got a second rats, I'll just do it again next turn - hey wait why is my Rats alive." Turns out Elves is a terrible deck that can't beat Crypt Rats.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Aranan posted:

Is there a good control deck on pauper? I have some midrange, combo, and aggro decks buy mono B just isn't able to keep up. I saw some weird Myr Servitor deck but it looks kind of janky.

Mono Black Control is actually midrange. It's playing a bunch of 2/2s that try to grind the opponent out, or at least delay them long enough for your army of 2/2s to beat down. Its key card, the Merchant, requires a substantial board presence - that's not usually an indicator of a control deck. UB Flicker is midrange with a combo finish - it plays a bunch of removal and counters and 2/2s and just tries to grind the opponent out, or at least delay them long enough to assemble the Mancer/Rats/Flicker combo. The Metalcraft decks are all different flavors of midrange - you can try to aggro people out with tokens and Rally the Peasants, while falling back on grinding the opponent out with cantripping 2/2 and 2/3 fliers if the aggro plan fails, or you can build it splashing Mulldrifter to grind the opponent out, or you can play the Grixis version and use Bleak-Coven Vampires to gain some life to give you more time to grind the opponent out. Tron is also not a control deck, it's a ramp deck that sometimes doesn't get Tron early and resorts to playing a bunch of Oracles and Mulldrifters to grind the opponent out.

The Teachings decks are basically control, and are bad, because why put in all the effort to make a creatureless control deck when just adding 4 Oracles and 4 Mulldrifters let you get both card advantage and win conditions, and hey since you already have those creatures why not add a few Archaeomancers and a Flicker to tutor for? And then you're back into midrange. If you're playing paper, you can make a Teachings deck that wins via Sprout Swarm, but I played Drake forever and never timed out and even I would be afraid to time out trying to win casting a card that costs 5 and has Convoke a bunch. Tortured Existence plays like a control deck when it has their namesake, and is otherwise unplayable.

Pauper is just a bunch of midrange decks hoping their opponent doesn't blind flip multiple Delvers or play Rancor on Young Wolf.

little munchkin posted:

Universal Solvent could be good in tron if there was a way to loop it, I doubt one exists though.

There's Tron decks playing Sanctum Gargoyle, so if Solvent is really that much better than that 7 mana Eldrazi card from BFZ that exiles something, it could slot in there. Tron decks usually don't have trouble dealing with random permanents when they have Tron, though. If they ever put the loving Custodi Squire onto MTGO that also can bring it back if for some reason the Blink decks really need some way to kill permanents for lots of mana.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jan 9, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

Dear burn player who sideboarded in relic of progenitus and pyroblast against me, I appreciate getting a free win in one of my bad matchups, but you should really not be playing those cards.

Wait 'til you find the players who keep in Insolent Neonate post-board and draw it turn seven when you have a couple creatures in play.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

little munchkin posted:

why would they be playing neonate in the first place

why would they be playing any creature in the first place when it only enables the enemy's removal

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

isn't sac neonate->pitch firebolt-> draw a card basically ancestral recall?

(lol)

no one else plays firebolt because they think playing a bunch of horrendous topdecks is what a burn deck needs instead of a way to mitigate flood

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

That Abzan Tortured Existence deck is unbelievably bad if it doesn't have TortEx, and it's almost as good at grinding as the UB Flicker deck except without the counterspells or efficient creatures or interaction or inevitability.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

That deck is completely unplayable. Somehow they always have it turn 1 (or they draw it turn 2 if I have a turn 1 Duress.) I usually still beat it because they can't beat graveyard hate.

My opponent had it on 7 game 1 and 2. If I had drawn a Flicker or Teachings in my top 26 cards, they lose game 1. I drew a Teachings game 2 and depleted their clock down to 3 minutes, and then they mulled to five but it didn't matter because that deck is glacial. Graveyard hate unnecessary.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Thinking about putting together a Pauper deck since my store does a monthly FNM for the format. BG is my favorite color pair but it costs an arm and a leg in seemingly every format, so I'm wondering if there are any good BG decks in Pauper (with or without a third color)? MTGGoldfish had a couple different types of BG builds in its Pauper section and this BG Threshold list seems kind of cool but I don't know poo poo about the format-

These kind of decks really struggle to beat much of anything - it can't race Burn or a white tokens deck, it doesn't run enough removal to avoid getting crushed by a good Stompy draw, its threats get Spellstutter Sprited, and it can't win against a Mulldrifter deck like UB. There's probably some sort of Crypt Rats based deck to be had, where your green threats are beefy enough to survive a moderate Crypt Rats activation, but if I'm playing some midrange deck like that I'd rather play Mulldrifter.

There's probably a GBu Tortured Existence deck that doesn't 100% rely on keeping the enchantment in play to win and beats their opponents by playing lots of Mulldrifters, but I haven't tried making a deck like that.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Aw :( Maybe I'll look into UBx instead since you mentioned it a couple times.

Or what about Goblins? That's my other favorite archetype that I can't actually play anywhere.

Goblins is fine, since Goblin Bushwacker leads to some brutally fast draws, but it's got problems with a wide open metagame. It suffers if it draws 4+ lands or only draws 1 land for the first four turns and can't flood the board fast enough. You can overcome the flooding issue if you draw your good cards for a particular matchup, but if you draw your Sparksmiths against a control deck and draw your Death Sparks against a burn deck and draw your Goblin War Marshals against Delver, you're kind of in trouble.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Recoiling your opponent's turn 2 karoo is the most enjoyable play you can possibly make in this dumb, bad game.

Also Wail of the Nim is a good sideboard card.

I just moved to playing four Crypt Rats main. There are just too many decks that just roll over and die to a Crypt Rats, and even against Teachings it's a 1/1 beater that can dome each player for 8.

My Elves matchup is nice.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

What list are you on now Hellsau? If you don't mind sharing.

http://pastebin.com/6fzELkW0

Tron is an exceptionally good deck if you have turn three Tron and a Prism and have three Mulldrifters in the top twenty cards of your library. Actually, half the decks in Pauper are basically races to see who draws more Mulldrifters. Mulldrifter is great.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Probably no more than half a dozen, just for some variety. I haven't decided about sideboards.

Here's my battle box.

Basically a deck of each color, plus Affinity and two spicy multicolor decks. Currently I have:

White Tokens
Mono-Blue Delver
Mono-Black Control
Goblins
Stompy
Affinity
Kuldotha Jeskai
Slivers

Maybe add Teachings or some combo deck, but most people don't want to play against those. If you're only doing six, just do a deck of each color plus a Kuldotha value deck, or maybe Affinity. If you're making six decks, though, it should be cheap enough that maybe you want to make more decks....

Pucatrade was real good for turning a bunch of lovely EDH cards into a large number of lovely commons, without me needing to go through a bunch of long boxes of bulk at a bunch of different shops/venders. Pucatrade is currently dead as hell, even for a bunch of bulk, so I advise against wasting time on it. If you've got a good LGS you can probably make up some lists and pick all the cards up for like $100.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, I just looked at that third picture. There's a Pauper Oops All Spells?! I need a list for that and Song of the Damned.

Fair warning, you basically can't beat someone who plays counterspells or graveyard removal or just gains life. But that's part of the fun!

Oops All Spells

Songs of the Damned

oh also the Oops All Spells deck is absurdly expensive.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Notable common downshift:
Call of the Conclave
Dinrova Horror
Spike Jester
Gift of Orzhova
Magma Jet
Scourge Devil
Thunderous Wrath(!!!!!!!)
Mortician Beetle
Grixis Slavedriver
Falkenrath Noble
Cower in Fear
Augur of Bola
Tandem Lookout

Jesus Christ Burn is going to be insane.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Granted, 5 is a huge number for R, but in Burn you're never hardcasting it and you can't set it up.

It seems great for an Izzet deck though.

You lose with Burn when you flood out or when the opponent has a hate card. I'm just going to jam 4 Magma Jets 4 Thunderous Wraths and go bananas.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cactrot posted:

Legit cannot wait for an opponent to Chittering Rats my opening hand Thunderous Wrath back to the top of my deck.

lol that interaction and the lack of any creatures makes the MBC match STRONGLY in Burn's favor now.

Needle Drop is probably still fine, since you can just Drop on the opponent's turn with an instant or a Curse trigger. It definitely requires patience since just running out the drop on your turn and drawing a Miracle is pretty disasterous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

C-Euro posted:

Would Augur of Bolas be a straight upgrade over Sea Gate Oracle in UB control decks, or would you have to lean a little heavier towards spells vs creatures in order to make it work?

Missing on Augur is horrible. It's really, really bad. However...it's yet another enabler for Brainstorm, and it's the two drop blocker that was sorely needed. That version of Red Deck Wins that basically folds to two removal spells and a blocker is going to be substantially worse when you're getting to play your Sea Gate Oracles a turn earlier. I'm going to try 4 Augur, 4 Oracle, 4 Mulldrifters and some Mancers and one or two Rats, and see if that'll work.

Also no joke that Nightsky deck is actually almost real. Nightsky Mimic is basically Heart of Kiran - it's a 4/4 flier for two mana! It was really missing another card or two that were WB, and Gift of Orzhova is the kind of card that makes a complete mockery of creature races. I'm willing to try it out, anyway. Here's the list that I built for my box:

2 Blind Hunter
2 Castigate
2 Doom Blade
4 Edge of the Divinity
4 Kingpin's Pet
2 Mourning Thrull
4 Nightsky Mimic
4 Nip Gwyllion
2 Orzhov Basilica
4 Pillory of the Sleepless
9 Plains
4 Scoured Barrens
9 Swamp
4 Tithe Drinker
4 Unmake

Sideboard:
4 Beckon Apparition
2 Castigate
2 Disenchant
2 Echoing Decay
3 Guardian of the Guildpact
2 Rune of Protection: Green

Blind Hunter and Doom Blade can probably go.

also Jund

3 Gurmag Angler
4 Liliana's Specter
2 Phyrexian Rager
4 Putrid Leech
4 Satyr Wayfinder
3 Blightning
4 Chainer's Edict
3 Firebolt
2 Flame Slash
2 Raven's Crime
4 Lightning Bolt
2 Terminate
3 Bloodfell Caves
1 Bojuka Bog
2 Forest
2 Haunted Fengraf
3 Jund Panorama
2 Jungle Hollow
3 Mountain
2 Rugged Highlands
5 Swamp

1 Ancient Grudge
1 Duress
2 Electrickery
1 Evincar's Justice
2 Golgari Brownscale
1 Gorilla Shaman
2 Magma Spray
1 Pyroblast
2 Relic of Progenitus
2 Serene Heart

e: wait, gently caress. Augur + Thunderous Wrath + Brainstorm means I probably need to just make UR Control with 12 creatures (Augur, Oracle, Mulldrifter), 22 lands and 26 spells, and just abuse the hell out of Brainstorm and Wrath.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 4, 2017