Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly Lightning Bolt is probably the best "answer" there. It works some of the time even when you don't draw it (because your opponent chooses to play around it anyway), it actually blows your opponent out some proportion of the time instead of just slowing them down (if they end up playing into it), and it also interacts with the "beat you down with 2-power flyers" game plan. And it closes out the game by going upstairs for 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

evilweasel posted:

I may be missing something real obvious, but what's the difference between blue elemental blast (ten cents) and hydroblast ($5) for these decks? The decks all suggest hydroblast but that seems silly unless there's something I'm missing. Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast seem to be about the same price.

Red blast/Blue blast were only printed at uncommon on mtgo, so they aren't actually legal in mtgo pauper.

That fact is actually the entire reason for the price difference - blue blast is essentially just unplayable in general. Pyro/red blast have closer prices because they also see Legacy play.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Nice! I loved flicker rats when Drake was around, but I was a bit worried that not being able to slam a bunch of power to stabilise the board (and/or just combo off) on turn 5 would leave it a bit weak to the faster decks.

I guess playing evolving wilds for extra shuffles is just too slow?

I kind of like dead weight for dodging Dispel and loving up Atogs, but maybe recurring disfigure is more important.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Thunderous Wrath is pretty bad without Magma Jet, for every time you flip it off the top and get to hit them for 5 there'll be another time where it clogs up your opener doing 0. So ~2.5 damage for one card, which isn't great (but might be okay? I'm not familiar enough with what you'll be replacing it with to know if that's worthwhile). With Jet, you probably see enough cards in a game to make it worthwhile as far as damage-per-card goes, though it's still really high variance.

Honestly though I think it's mostly insane in UR delver or blitz decks where you have brainstorm to make it a basically a 100% hit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

Also :lol: at Nihil Spellbomb in the sideboard of the UW deck.

Obviously it's better than Relic because you're spending a card to do nothing, instead of spending a card to Stone Rain yourself.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You'll also get to randomly mana screw people who play artifact lands as wrench mind protection or whatever.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Always yield/always yes only applies to that specific source of that ability. If you flicker a wall, it counts as a new source, and so it forgets you want to always yield.

Just modo things.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Congrats Hellsau!

How many percentage points would the deck lose if both players started with 5 minutes less on the clock?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Is that three for three on making the finals? Congrats!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

on the other hand, you gotta replace searing blazes with something, and your only other option is usually smash to smithereens

I don't think you do. Tron is still going to have the dorky card draw creatures for you to target.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

little munchkin posted:

it's a conditional card. the floor is a complete blank and the ceiling is you paid two mana for a lightning bolt that also enables your opponent's spell that gains them six life

If you actually had something better then yeah, you'd swap them out. I don't think you take them out for a three-mana shock that enables Pulse.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It seems like you auto-lose to burn, and carnophage is no longer that impressive now that the blue aggro decks are packing a 3/2 flier as their 1 drop.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm a little confused here. You start off asking why noone plays suicide black anymore, and then when people tell you why you get very defensive about it, as though the deck not being very good any more is somehow a personal attack on you?

If you really want to find out first-hand then feel free to jump into a bunch of leagues with it I guess, mtgo is right there.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I guess Wizards is committed to the two-separate-digital-platforms thing, at least for the time being.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

Foil is broken and has broken Pauper.

would you believe that this is totally unsearchable on mtgowikiprice, lmao

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Rat Colony is very very mediocre in pauper. You will not have a good time.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GoutPatrol posted:

This is arena pauper where it can just overrun a bunch of other decks.

I'm aware. It loses to any competently-built deck that plays creatures and removal.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're suggesting that there will be a bunch of incompetently-built decks that you can score wins against, then sure, there will be. (For example, there'll be other people playing Rat Colony, and hopefully you can manage 50% in that matchup).

But you'll have even better odds against those with a better deck.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Every slow, mana-hungry deck probably just gets better if you jam tron into it instead of trying to get by on other lands.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Hellsau posted:

I can only believe they got the wrong Shaman and wanted to put in Gorilla Shaman, which is a bad card to board in but not as bad as that.

I'm on a 14 game winning streak with Creature Snow Tron. Deck is good. Check my list from the Challenge tomorrow whenever they post the lists, and swap the CoP Red for another Lone Missionary.

i was watching your challenge videos with it the other day, match 4 was a real hoot.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Tron isn't even especially busted in paper, the format where you can pick up draws because your opponent chooses to play slow

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Interesting that apparently every frequent player's opinion is "astrolabe has got to go".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Framboise posted:

How much worse is flicker tron if ghostly flicker gets banned and replaced with Displace? Still seems like it'd be super broken.

Builds would need to change, because the current lists would be significantly worse. Having displaces rot in your hand instead of flickering astrolabes to dig for your value creatures will slow you down a lot. Also, people can actually start running land destruction and expect it to do something.

Sure, once you actually get your engine going it's not a huge change, but you are significantly slower and more vulnerable while getting to that point.