Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Kuldotha Jeskai isn't bad. It loses to decks with better lategame like Teachings and Tron, but having a pile of undercosted flyers and cheap instant speed removal means it's quite favored against Delver and it generally hoses most aggro decks since you bolt all their early plays and then grind them out with your draw engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Hellsau posted:

Freed from the Real is fine, Midnight Gond would be fitne if Delver didn't exist, and I plan on using the Chittering Rat + Mnemonic Wall + Ghostly Flicker combo to close out games with Teachings, but nothing nearly as dumb as Drake.

How is Gond's problem Delver decks and no the fact that they're trying to stick an aura on a creature that dies to bolt in Spot Removal: The Format?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If you like grindy as gently caress BG decks there's always Tortured Existence.

If you like good decks that win games, though, it's probably not the deck for you. Sultai Morbid might do it better?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

I never liked that card in any deck, but I really don't like it in this one. If you're a glorified burn deck like UWR then sure, getting in a few damage with some random idiots is fine. But this deck usually plays out more like a control deck. It's especially bad considering all the artifacts are pretty important. Late in the game sure, throwing away an extra land is fine but by then the 3 1/1s are pretty irrelevant anyway.

Making three 1/1s for one mana is a really good rate, and it offers a lot of utility. Sure, sometimes you just swing three idiots into two blockers to get in one point of damage, but more often you're using them to clog up the ground so you can win the game with flyers in two turns or totally poop on Chainer's Edict.

Of course, it's more a card that Jeskai gets to get away with because it runs 8 cantrip rocks as part of its engine, so having a spare artifact around doesn't require any additional deckbuilding costs. If you actually need all your artifacts then yeah, that's probably not the card for the deck.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 14, 2016

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
3 purges seems like a lot just in terms of mana cost. Having one in the maindeck as a flexible hard answer feels good, and I could probably be talked into two of them, but there's only so many three mana spells you want to be casting in a deck that's already trying to cast two mana bricks as many times as possible. Running two Rebirths in addition that seems like you're taxing your artifact base pretty hard, too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

Elves in a nutshell: one of your 2 creatures that actually matter die and then your second one dies and then you lose.

Then everyone brings in three board wipes for game 2.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

Has Tortured Existence ever just not had it on turn 1? I've literally never seen it happen. Which is really annoying when your deck is exactly one card and otherwise does nothing.

Edit: So obviously the 2nd game of this match my opponent doesn't have it. Until they draw it on turn 3.

Good thing the deck somehow loses G1 versus most of the format even when everything goes to plan and then completely hosed by like, a singleton hate card in the sideboard since the game will go to 45 cards.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
In addition to being too slow against aggro decks, Rewinds also seems really daring in a format with Daze, Counterspell, and a whole bunch of other 1-2 mana counters. In a format practically defined by the power and efficiency of its interaction, you have to be doing something really good to justify tapping four lands for one spell, and I don't think Value Rewind passes the bar.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Tortured Existence is dumb because not only does it need a single irreplaceable buildaround card to function and completely fold to very common hate, but the deck can have everything go according to plan and still just lose to getting outvalued somehow.

Like a ton of decks can play an ordinary Game 1 against their nut draw and just win.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Losing to a three color deck with six (6!!!) loving bouncelands while playing LD sounds pretty goddamn shameful.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
While we're on the subject, what's the deal with Sakura-Tribe Scout over any mana dork that doesn't need you to have extra lands in your hand in order to make mana? Apparently they're like 50 cents a pop online, so I suppose there's something to it?

EDIT: Also Temporal Springs seems really questionable as an LD card since the goal is not just to slow them down, but ideally to run them out of lands entirely. Putting it back on top for them to draw next turn doesn't seem as good as just killing it.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 20, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

we haven't played since ash barrens was printed you dingus

Float > bounce > cycle has already been a pauper thing forever with the regular cycling lands though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Hellsau posted:

So I just won on a mull to 3 against the 90+ card Teachings deck with no win conditions while playing Familiars. Don't play a control deck with no win conditions.

So is 90-card Teaching just a pile of counters and removal with literally no win condition other than waiting for your opponent to run out of cards / run out of time / find something better to do with their life?

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

little munchkin posted:

that's the backup wincon, with the primary one being pristine talisman + casting evincar's justice over and over again

That's regular teachings (with maybe a single copy of Capsize and Curse of the Bloody Tome as well). I was figuring the point of the extra 30 cards was so you could just dispense entirely with petty things like 'win conditions' and just rely on having a thicker library than your opponent.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
How the gently caress does White Weenies get clocked by a flicker combo deck????

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Suicide Black is kinda bad since it needs some kind of nut draw to win and also dies to mulligans. Your great hands can be downright unfair, but you don't get them very often and you don't do anything impressive if you end up playing a normal curve.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Silhouette posted:

Edit: I'm gonna slam 4x Goblin War Party into my goblin tokens/impact tremors deck and see if pauper 8-whack could be a thing

4x seems like a lot for how expensive it is, but in a world where Brightstone Ritual exists you can do some *silly* things with Goblin tokens

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Can you jam Astrolabe into the Glint Hawk / Skyfisher shell, or is trying to have snow lands *and* artifact lands in the same mana base going in too many directions at once?

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 16, 2019

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
So it looks like the old Jeskai Kuldotha decks have fallen to the wayside, with the U splash for Mulldrifter getting cut for Monarch cards and a smoother manabase. I definitely wouldn't miss the 3c manabase in pauper, especially since Snow lands are a thing now, but man giving up on Mulldrifter is a hell of a beat.

It was also fun clowning on Delver decks with 8 bolts, a better value engine, and a dozen two-power flyers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Emphasizing again as someone who played the old Jeskai Skyfisher decks, Delver does not like playing against a grindy deck with a never-ending stream of spot removal and cheap flyers.