Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Someone playtest this poo poo for me por favor
I don't have MTGO or anyone to play against in person :\

Lands
18 Mountain

Instants
4 Fireblast
4 Flame Burst
4 Gut Shot or Shock
4 Incinerate
4 Kindle
4 Lightning Bolt

Sorceries
4 Chain Lightning or Lava Spike

Creatures
4 Bloodcrazed Neonate or Gore-House Chainwalker
4 Emberwilde Augur or Firebrand Archer
4 Mogg Fanatic or Jackal Pup
2 Reckless Reveler

Sideboard
SB: 4 Electrickery
SB: 3 Molten Rain
SB: 4 Pyroblast
SB: 4 Smash to Smithereens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Whatever happened to Suicide Black? There's a bunch of modern cards that make it better than it could have ever been in the old 4th through 6th Standard and Extended formats, but nobody ever seems to play it any more. Are people just afraid of going full aggro and never blocking?

btw here's a suicide black decklist I just brewed up a few minutes ago :v: :

Lands
16 Swamp

Artifacts
4 Lotus Petal

Instants
4 Dark Ritual
2 Diabolic Edict
4 Geth's Verdict

Sorceries
4 Duress
4 Raven's Crime
2 Wrench Mind

Creatures
3 Carnophage
2 Dauthi Marauder
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Gurmag Angler
4 Vampire Lacerator
3 Vault Skirge

(Shadow is underrated in every format)

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I had considered those guys, but I prefer the raw power of a 2/2 over a 1/1, since the 2/2s can eat chump blockers and still swing away on consecutive turns. Carnophage and Lacerator have downsides, but your opponent should be dead before the life loss from them even matters, which is the entire point of Suicide Black.

edit: also, the deck has really good odds of a turn 1 or 2 Angler, which is pretty much a guaranteed win 70% of the time. Ideal hand would probably be something like Swamp, Swamp, Ritual, Ritual, Angler, Lotus Petal, Duress. Turn 1, Swamp, Petal, sac Petal for B->Duress to possibly get rid of any early creature removal, tap Swamp for B, Ritual->Ritual->spend BBBBB and delve 2 for Angler.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 25, 2018

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I ain't afraid of no Fog

Suicide Black is all about trading security for raw speed and power, so small setbacks shouldn't really disrupt the deck's tempo.

edit: also, there are 10 discard spells in the deck including 4 Duress, so fog-likes aren't really a concern

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 25, 2018

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jabor posted:

It seems like you auto-lose to burn, and carnophage is no longer that impressive now that the blue aggro decks are packing a 3/2 flier as their 1 drop.

Burn is a bad matchup, but decent draws can see it outpaced, and delver still dies to an edict or verdict

GoutPatrol posted:

moments peace has flashback

Silhouette posted:

I ain't afraid of no Fog

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

If you're going to do that, I would honestly just load up on every 2 power one drop you can, including Pulse Tracker and its ilk.

Which includes Night Market Lookout and Thornbow Archer.

You know what, you're right. Lookout would be better than Skirge and the 3-drop Dauthi Marauders, and would help insulate a bit against burn.

Revised decklist:

Lands
16 Swamp

Artifacts
4 Lotus Petal

Instants
4 Dark Ritual
2 Diabolic Edict
4 Geth's Verdict

Sorceries
4 Duress
4 Raven's Crime
2 Wrench Mind

Creatures
4 Carnophage
4 Night Market Lookout
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Gurmag Angler
4 Vampire Lacerator

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jabor posted:

I'm a little confused here. You start off asking why noone plays suicide black anymore, and then when people tell you why you get very defensive about it, as though the deck not being very good any more is somehow a personal attack on you?

:confused: No?

I gave some honest answers about hypothetical matchups, how the hell does that constitute getting defensive and taking statements as a personal attack?

Matsuri posted:

traditional hellsau answer: it dies to stonehorn tron

that said suicide black seems like a lot of fun for more casual pauper beatdowns

I had to look up that deck and holy poo poo that's kinda nasty :aaaaa:

And yeah, i'm a filthy casual these days (haven't played competitive MTG in close to 20 years), so i'm not trying to make some meta-defining masterpiece, just trying to maybe resurrect a relic from a bygone age~

Next up: i'll refer to RDW as Sligh and run CoP:R and CoP:B in every white sideboard

edit:

always be closing posted:

I've played it in paper twice at pauper night and it's a ton of fun, but I lost every match in 3. My list was all in but instead of the discard ran bump in the night and tyrants choice

:hfive:

Tyrant's Choice might actually make a better fit in my list than Diabolic Edict, actually.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 26, 2018

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yeah, the deck already has 4 instant-speed removal spells, so Choice is a win-win.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Oh, it's almost certainly just 4 damage to the dome, but that's perfectly fine. I'm looking at it in the same terms as something like Skullscorch: the removal is basically a secondary benefit against players not willing to trade off 20% of their starting life total. Either way, i'm coming out ahead on the deal.

Also, why the hell is Hymn to Tourach banned in paper pauper? I mean, I know why, but...whyyyyyyy?

I love Hymn :(

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I think this might be the last iteration of this deck, unless the Immolating Souleaters turn out to be a bust. Gonna proxy this poo poo up this weekend and try it out, so maybe it'll be a fun deck after all's said and done?

Deck: Suicide Black
//Lands
16 Swamp

//Artifacts
4 Lotus Petal

//Instants
4 Dark Ritual
4 Foul-Tongue Shriek
4 Geth's Verdict

//Sorceries
4 Duress
2 Raven's Crime

//Creatures
2 Barrow Ghoul
4 Carnophage
4 Carrion Feeder
2 Gurmag Angler
2 Immolating Souleater
4 Night Market Lookout
4 Vampire Lacerator

//Sideboard
2 Bojuka Bog
2 Diabolic Edict
2 Dry Spell
3 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 Gurmag Angler
4 Mental Misstep
1 Raven's Crime

Display deck statistics

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Matsuri posted:

Gary is not a good choice.

Mental Misstep is uncommon.

fffff

I forgot to check the 'common' tag in magiccards.info. Now I have to find something to take its place.

Gary was just a backup bomb in case the game goes on longer than it should, but I guess i'll replace it with something else. Suggestions on a late-game punch to the face that doesn't require combat damage?

god I wish it was 1999 and I still had every single card memorized

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ok, adjusted a few things. I moved all of the Anglers to the sideboard, and I may just drop them completely. Added another Raven's Crime and Dry Spell to the SB, swapped in 2 main deck Blind Creepers for the Anglers. Shepherd of Rot replaces Gary and the Souleaters (which is now my new psychobilly band name).

Deck: Suicide Black

//Lands
16 Swamp

//Artifacts
4 Lotus Petal

//Instants
4 Dark Ritual
4 Foul-Tongue Shriek
4 Geth's Verdict

//Sorceries
4 Duress
2 Raven's Crime

//Creatures
2 Barrow Ghoul
2 Blind Creeper
4 Carnophage
4 Carrion Feeder
4 Night Market Lookout
2 Shepherd of Rot
4 Vampire Lacerator

//Sideboard
2 Bojuka Bog
2 Diabolic Edict
3 Dry Spell
3 Gurmag Angler
2 Immolating Souleater
2 Raven's Crime
1 Shepherd of Rot

Display deck statistics

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 27, 2018

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Super late, but I agree. Necro was great in its heyday, but it's been outclassed by a ton of other life-for-card draw engines since then.

Also, my hot take: I think that the pain lands should be downshifted to common, since they're not great in Modern or Legacy any more, and Pauper doesn't really have legit good multicolored lands.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Mulloy posted:

List? We have a dude who runs choking sands/witches/bob and it's pretty neat but not sure if that's what you're referring to.

Deck: Pest Control

//Lands
2 Barren Moor
3 Bojuka Bog
2 Mortuary Mire
13 Swamp

//Instants
4 Dark Ritual
4 Geth's Verdict

//Sorceries
4 Choking Sands
4 Duress
2 Icequake
4 Rancid Earth
4 Wrench Mind

//Creatures
4 Chittering Rats
2 Crypt Rats
4 Gnat Miser
4 Gurmag Angler

//Sideboard
4 Chainer's Edict
2 Icequake
4 Nausea
1 Relic of Progenitus
4 Victim of Night

Display deck statistics

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hellsau posted:

Depends on how much scrutiny the format gets. If any real focus gets put on the format, there's no way Probe and Gush survive because they're both broken cards, Delver is next on the chopping block, and then Tron if they have any sense. There isn't even anything they can ban other than the Tron lands, since there's so many different, totally nonsense builds of Tron, that they can't just ban something to weaken the archetype as a whole.

Agreed 100%.

WotC should just ban Urza's Mine, but leave the other two legal :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Cards that need to be banned, in my Super Expert Totally Legit Opinion:

Daze
Gush
Foil (ban it before it even hits the format)
Urza's Tower/Mine/Power Plant
Pulse of Murasa
Ghostly Flicker

thank you for your attention

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Its also why I've been putting a singleton CoP: Shadow in all of my W/x sideboards, because Tribe uses shadow rift to make Tireless Tribe unblockable :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

^all that, plus Snap, Pulse and Fireblast can gently caress off too.

poo poo, I wouldn't be averse to just banning everything with Phyrexian mana in the cost.

edit: these feelings come from playing like 30 games today and ~26 of them being against one of the three Delver variants (U, U/R and U/B) or the exact same loving Burn deck played by like 4 different people (i swear if I see Lava Spike into Needle Drop one more goddamn time, i'll set my laptop on fire). I got wrecked by Stonehorn Lock, and I enjoyed every second of it because it wasn't just loving Delver or Burn again.

Not a single Tron matchup, though. Which was nice.

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Nov 24, 2018

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm torn between my hatred of Tron and my hatred of G/W Slivers

That's a hilarious board state though :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'm shocked

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Gush into Foil has me seriously rethinking my commitment to Pauper.

:golfclap:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The entire format would be so much better if Gush, Gitaxian Probe and Ghostly Flicker were banned.

It would improve even further if every other Phyrexian mana card was banned afterward.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jesus christ

4 for 4, got blown out by Delver decks running probe/gush/foil in the last hour in the "just for fun" queue

wotc fix pauper please

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Angler is fine

Especially compared to a turn 1 Canker Abomination :getin:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

January 26, 2019 Rules and Ban List Update:

-Cloud of Fairies and Treasure Cruise are now unbanned in Pauper
-Urza's Mine, Tower and Power Plant are now subtype Basic Land
-Forest is now banned

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nothing for Delver, but red and black got some good poo poo. Skewer the Critics is gonna make Burn better,Font of AgoniesGrotesque Demise* might be good to get rid of Mulldrifter and Mnemonic Wall before Tron can set up their flicker combo, Ill-Gotten Inheritance will be fun to build around, Undercity Scavenger is pretty spicy and basically has Exploit 2, and Undercity's Embrace is a new Edict with upside but for 1 more mana.

Green's got some decent stuff, like Rampaging Rendhorn which may show up in the newer Dreadmaw Stompy archetype, Sagittar's Volley is almost good, but since it's only 1 damage vs 2, it's worthless against Delver. Saruli Caretaker is Springleaf Elf, and Sauroform Hybrid is possibly playable.

Tron's gonna abuse Growth Spiral, and it's going to be degenerate as gently caress. Maybe Scuttlegator, too.

*derp, i was checking the scryfall visual spoiler and got the names mixed up :v:

Silhouette fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 14, 2019

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Gush and Foil? A-OK!

Circle of Flame? BAN THAT poo poo.

wotc, age 5

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

how unlucky is it that pteramander isn't a common

i feel like I want 4 more good threats in UB Delver. I only have 8

Jace's Phantasm exists

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hellsau posted:

It's difficult to play Jace's Phantasm when everyone is inexplicably playing Bojuka Bog and Relic of Progenitus.

Sadly yeah, I tried a Delver/Mill variant build a few months ago that basically just used Mind Sculpt and Vision Charm to enable Phantasm, and it had a mostly bad record. I did jank out a few Delver players by disrupting their flips and a Tron player by milling every single one of their Power Plants (who then ragequit), so altogether i'd rate the deck a success :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I just played a few matches after getting sick and tired of nonstop Delver matchups a few months ago, and apparently mono-G Tron is back in vogue, because I ran into it twice in a row.

I still loving hate Fangren Marauder, goddamn.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'll never play tron because I enjoy having a soul and not being repulsed by the laughter of children or natural sunlight

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hellsau posted:

See you in three months to a year when they finally fuckin' ban Tron, Flicker, Foil and Delver then.

lol just kidding they're gonna downshift another obviously broken blue card in Horizons, it'll be busted as hell and ruin the format for nine months when they finally getting around to banning it, and then it'll take another year for them to know how bad the format is, just in time for the next obviously broken downshift

I wouldn't be surprised if they reprinted Brain Freeze at common in MH

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Torchlighter posted:

Turns out magic is just running broken cards and cards that get broken by other cards. Who da thunk it?

Anyway, how likely are we to see something out of Horizons?

Goblin War Party basically allows pauper 8-Whack, so i'm looking forward to that.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Soul Sisters has a new toy to play with

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I'll die laughing if they ban everything but the Urza's lands

B&R update, june 2019:

Pauper: Expedition Map, Chromatic Sphere, Chromatic Star, Prophetic Prism

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

20 islands, 40 persistent petitioners

20 swamps, 40 rat colony

mono red

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Some Numbers posted:

What colors do you want to play?

Petitioners is banned.

lmao

Rat Colony stampedes over like 99% of other decks, and mono red is pretty easy to do in standard pauper

Maybe white weenie?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jabor posted:

I'm aware. It loses to any competently-built deck that plays creatures and removal.

Again,

GoutPatrol posted:

This is arena pauper where it can just overrun a bunch of other decks.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Would you say that it's not worth it to put Scattershot Archer in the Elves sideboard any more, since Delver has been kinda neutered, or is it still a 2-3 of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Ahh, I forgot that decks other than Delver and Tron exist. It's been a while since i've run across Monarch/Bully :v: