Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Vital Signs posted:

Just getting into the format and learning about how pricey random cards are online. Gorilla Shaman, Pyroblast, and Hydroblast were all pretty hilarious moments for me.

Daze was the worst, pre-reprint it was something silly like $25-30. I think Shaman is the most expensive of the bunch right now. The blasts were around 5 but dipped hard at the reprint announcement online and have been slowly working their way back up to where they were after EMA had such poor value online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

Basically UR Drake is the best way to go infinite+ right now. You could probably play a different deck for fun, just don't be surprised or salty if you can't beat Drake in the leagues.

Do you think Drake will survive another b&r announcement?

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Card Kingdom's next Pauper tournament is running the MTGO ban list plus the usual suspects and Drake banned as well. What should I run in a no-drake meta? Would love to play Teachings but opponents play slow as hell against the deck and closing out games quickly is tough when people don't concede and just start playing for the draw.

Thoughts? I'm pretty much comfortable playing everything other than Affinity. Last tournament there were a lot of Drake decks, prior ones I ran into a lot of mono white w/ soul sisters and mono black.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Knowing the local meta there I would be a little worried about running just mono u delver but i think I could swing UB for peace of mind, will have to ht up MTG Pulse review some lists and do some testing

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
I really should just play teachings, but some sort of faster build that can close out the game a lot quicker.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

There's gotta be something going on, I've never felt more advantaged in Magic than with this deck since never played Caw Blade. It's much more ubiquitous than Twin or Pod were in Modern, and significantly more powerful compared to everything else in the format, and there isn't any good sideboard cards to bring in against Drake. That last match was against UG Land Destruction where I countered a Sylvan Ranger (I thought they were on Temur Tokens) and walked a bounceland into Temporal Spring and still won because Drake is a stupid deck.

Geez, I count 16 5-0's in leagues with Drake decks for you? That's only published results, so I'm sure there are more? That's a lot of tickets from packs though, what've you been doing with all the extra tickets, cashing out or building decks for other formats?

For the record, regarding treasure chests, every time I've seen players open them on stream they are always garbage.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

Gigadrowse is a messed up Magic card and goes a long way to giving you free reign to go off, or let you go off with only enough mana for one Counterspell.

Gigadrowse makes the all kill spells or all counters matchup a lot smoother. I have found the tougher matchups are fast aggro where you don't have the time to set up due to your life total being pressured and the t1 delver, t2 blind flip, counter everything you play gameplan.

A lot of players play the matchup improperly, tap out at the wrong time, or a gigadrowse just wrecks them

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Some Numbers posted:

Wait, I just looked at that third picture. There's a Pauper Oops All Spells?! I need a list for that and Song of the Damned.

It is usually called One land spy, it sucks and you shouldn't bother.

CK runs pauper tournaments every couple of months so their pauper cards usually get bought out and then need to be restocked.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

PJOmega posted:

Yep. The only out Elves has to a active flicker Dignitary is a side boarded Mob Justice if they're still running Birchlore Rangers. And that requires 20+ elves on the field. Save your removal for their Huntmasters and they aren't getting there.

My favorite moment of top 4-ing one of the rags to riches with elves was killing my opponent with mob justice in the last round of Swiss

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
LGS is going to start running pauper, I have no ash barrens but have almost everything else for pauper. What should I run for an unknown field? I’ve played the familiars, the drake flicker deck, UB Teachings, mono blue delver, freed from the real combo, and elves before but haven’t been actively playing lately

Expecting elves, mono blue delver, and probably whatever has been most recently featured on mtggoldfish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

Elves is good against Elves and Delver, assuming you know the matchup better that the opponent and are willing to play two maindeck Viridian Longbows and the other two in the side to crush the mirror, though you'll probably run into an above average amount of Boros and MBC at a local paper tournament. If you trust yourself to play fast and are willing to politely but firmly insist that your opponents make plays, you can try the Stonehorn Tron deck I posted above - it kind of murders Elves and other Forest decks and Mono-blue Delver is a good matchup because they don't get Pyroblast or really any threatening sideboard cards. Tron will also beat the midrange grinding junk people love playing. You will never finish three games against the average LGS midrange/control player though, and you're lucky if you complete two.

I like playing elves if there are less MBC players in the room and you don’t have to play the mirror. I feel like with other decks the mirrors are interesting but the Elves mirror is just boring. I stopped playing the deck in paper after the last paper tournament I played against 4 MBC decks in a row after round 2.

I can pilot the flicker decks quickly and don’t mind requesting my opponents make a play - got the latest greatest list with your changes you noted? I’ll see if I can throw it together and borrow some Ash Barrens from the dude that buys all the commander decks.

Edit - rechecked your list, no Ash Barrens, sounds like a plan!

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 27, 2018