Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

People always have and always will play mono-black even though it's terrible and doesn't have good match-ups against anything, let alone Drake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Foreskin Problems posted:

oh no what will hellsau post about now

Delver.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hot take: UWR Metalcraft is a really bad deck. Build Grixis Metalcraft instead.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

Acid Trip is another deck that you should build instead of jeskai metalcraft.

Acid Trip is probably worse than UWR but it's so much more fun.

Aranan posted:

Teaching seems like a decent control deck, but I can see bogles being unfun.

Teachings is pretty fun.

Bogles is every bit as fun as it is in modern*, except at least in pauper edicts are playable.

* negative fun is how much it is in modern

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Aranan posted:

Something like this?

I was playing something like this before they screwed everything up, with some random changes - usually to the removal - depending on what people were playing. Haven't really played pauper since then but I was pretty successful with it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dehtraen posted:

Gigadrowse makes the all kill spells or all counters matchup a lot smoother. I have found the tougher matchups are fast aggro where you don't have the time to set up due to your life total being pressured and the t1 delver, t2 blind flip, counter everything you play gameplan.

A lot of players play the matchup improperly, tap out at the wrong time, or a gigadrowse just wrecks them

You forgot to mention that it blind Flipped on a Daze. Which it always does.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

UB Control is fine. Grixis Metalcraft is grindy af and pretty fun. RUG Tron is alright if you don't mind not beating aggro ever in game 1.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

For an answer that actually fits your first requirement and also requires :ohdear: interaction :ohdear: try Grixis Metalcraft.

My list, more or less, is here.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Anniversary posted:

Oh. Oh no. I am not a burn player.

Oh thank goodness.

I have another list I found elsewhere that runs Kuldotha Rebirth - what're your thoughts on that?

I never liked that card in any deck, but I really don't like it in this one. If you're a glorified burn deck like UWR then sure, getting in a few damage with some random idiots is fine. But this deck usually plays out more like a control deck. It's especially bad considering all the artifacts are pretty important. Late in the game sure, throwing away an extra land is fine but by then the 3 1/1s are pretty irrelevant anyway.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I've got a bunch of lists along with the one I posted. Also feel free to add me: just add 44 to the end of my name.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Elves in a nutshell: one of your 2 creatures that actually matter die and then your second one dies and then you lose.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Unironically ban half the cards in Delver. The fact that that deck exists is so stupid.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Has Tortured Existence ever just not had it on turn 1? I've literally never seen it happen. Which is really annoying when your deck is exactly one card and otherwise does nothing.

Edit: So obviously the 2nd game of this match my opponent doesn't have it. Until they draw it on turn 3.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 22, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Voyager I posted:

Good thing the deck somehow loses G1 versus most of the format even when everything goes to plan and then completely hosed by like, a singleton hate card in the sideboard since the game will go to 45 cards.

Well yeah. I didn't say I ever lost to it. But man it would be nice to just always have your 4-of that makes your deck function.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Vital Signs posted:

I ran an MTGO Pauper League for local Ann Arbor folks for a couple months, and it fell apart during the holidays. Essentially everyone pays in 5 or 10 tickets and we do a round robin tournament where you play everyone once within the month. Then top 4 or top 8 based on standings. If anyone wants in on this, PM me or email me at d(dot)vanderlooven(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll add you to the facebook group. This is casual

This sounds interesting.

Vital Signs posted:

so don't be an asshat.

nm I'm out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I made the mistake of playing another league.

Delver still needs to be banned.

Ninja should probably go too tbh. It's kinda ridiculous that that deck somehow has the best early, mid, and late game.

Edit: Stompy, Delver, Stompy, Bogles, Delver. Awesome format.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 7, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

evilweasel posted:

Bogles collapses hard to the flickering rats deck in this thread as long as you keep up with removal, using chainer's edict to whack the bogles.

Yep. I saw 34 cards game 1 without finding an edict, mulled to 4 game 2, got a 5-for-1 with an edict, then lost to them ripping another Bogle off the top on the very next turn and me missing my 7th mana or another edict for 8 turns or so.

Screw Rancor is the moral of the story.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

evilweasel posted:

I loving hate that card. It is so, so, so satisfying though when they cast it and you kill the creature they're trying to cast it on though.

Same. Too bad it usually has hexproof, the worst ability ever printed!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

So I threw away another league and a few 2-mans just to burn all my play points.

Kiln Fiend, Burn, Bogles, UR Tron, Kiln Fiend.

Burn, Kiln Fiend, Affinity x2.

So 1 of my last 14 matches were not against aggro. And I averaged over 1 mulligan per game. :thumbsup:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hellsau posted:

That Abzan Tortured Existence deck is unbelievably bad if it doesn't have TortEx, and it's almost as good at grinding as the UB Flicker deck except without the counterspells or efficient creatures or interaction or inevitability.

That deck is completely unplayable. Somehow they always have it turn 1 (or they draw it turn 2 if I have a turn 1 Duress.) I usually still beat it because they can't beat graveyard hate.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I've also just ground them down by playing a fair game. Reaping the Graved for like 8 is pretty good against them when the game is going long. Pillar of Flame is also pretty good against them.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Goblins is a deck. It's not good but it's fine. It's pretty much 1 mana 2/2s that can't attack alone or if you didn't cast a creature this turn the deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Does anyone running UB Control have some secret tech they want to share, or should I just start with a standard UB list off of Goldfish and play around with it from there?

Recoiling your opponent's turn 2 karoo is the most enjoyable play you can possibly make in this dumb, bad game.

Also Wail of the Nim is a good sideboard card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tron doesn't really lose anything aside from some sideboard cards like Tangle or Moment's Peace. I can't think of anything that Stompy loses.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Needle Drop into Thunderous Wrath on their turn. Live the dream.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

The line of bolt->Needle Drop->blind flip Thunderous Wrath is so absurdly optimistic that it shouldn't be used as a selling point for the card

You mean my obviously magical Christmasland scenario isn't guaranteed?!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I can confirm that Recoil on a Journey to Nowhere on a Mulldrifter is the dream. Also a delight is EOT Ray of Revelation both of your Journeys on both of my Mulldrifters.

Also yeah I've been saying pretty much everything you've been saying for like a year and a half. Ban Delver and Rancor, probably Flicker and maybe Displace. I got really bored of pauper and I haven't bothered playing it in a long time so I can't say anything about Gush being too good or whatever. But I do know whenever I played against Delver in the past, Gush followed by Brainstorm followed by a shuffle was the exact point where I lost so many games that I had previously stabilized.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Hellsau, as pauper whisperer, I need you to explain this thing to me:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-ubg-39542#paper

I guess the joke is that you're ramping into 3 and 4 mana land destruction spells and then... ???

are pauper mana bases that land-light and bad that this works?

As with everything, the joke is Ghostly Flicker + Mnemonic Wall.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i know this reveals me to be a terrible magic player but ash barrens into bounceland, float colorless, landcycle ash barrens was.... well it was erotic

I made that same play against you in paper before! :argh:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Why would you spend $35 on a $25 promo just to give someone else a bye and a wasted hour?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Matsuri posted:

Why isn't Acid Trip a deck in the meta right now, anyway? It seems legit. Too easily bowled over by aggro strats?

It's unimaginably slow, extremely easy to disrupt, and doesn't actually do anything while also having a bunch of cards that are really bad if you don't have a Reality Acid in play.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

There's not a lot of removal that deals with it either. Edicts obviously but other than that it's like, Terminate and Recoil kinda sometimes. Of course it's still just a 4 mana 2/3 that's hard to interact with.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

PJOmega posted:

I'm guessing Golgari Toolbox was Tortured Existence?

The most infuriating deck. Somehow they always have a copy of the card that makes their deck halfway playable in their 7. The only exception is if you have a Duress, then they have 2 or 0 and it's their top card.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TCGPlayer. Just check the TCGPlayer direct box and you can buy a ton of stuff and get it all in one package.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I played against a deck like that once. I turn 1 discarded Ulamog's Crusher to hand size.
:smuggo:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Here's my list I haven't updated in like 2 years.

https://deckbox.org/sets/1340476

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Mezzanon posted:

Played my first round of paper pauper league and won 2-1 vs 4-colour tron as u/w acid trip.

Game 2 involved all 4soreadimg seas and at least 6 reality acids.

G3 I beat a T4ulamogs crusher.

Reality Acid on Crusher, sac Reality Acid to annihilator is the only sweet thing I ever did with that stupid deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I generally play them as late as possible or when it doesn't mess with the curve. So like, tap land, island, tap land, bounce land lets you have plays on every turn if your hand allows it where playing the bounce land on turn 3 shuts you off for an entire turn. If you somehow don't have a turn 2/3 play then get them out there, but be aware of how awkward they can make your mana.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Isn't Thought Scour just a Strictly Better Mental Note?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Why_I_Quit_MTGO.png