Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Would you recommend getting into this business? How much money can be made? Why didn't you quit your job and make them full time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Dildomancer posted:

I never put one up for sale. That would be super unclassy. And besides, I already used up the world's supply of polydimethylsiloxane making up the first one.

Hmmmmmm... the most popular color scheme is probably Lucario. Even then, that's only ~10 cocks. People have very diverse and specific interests.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you really enjoy customer service and working with your hands. If you charge the same as the other manufacturers, you can make $50/dong profit, and it takes 5-10 minutes to make a typical one, once you have the mold ready. I was charging far below that (making $5-20 apiece) and doing custom orders that took a good deal longer sometimes - stripes, multiple firmnesses, special glow-in-the-dark color schemes, that kind of thing. If you made it a business, you could expect to make a decent profit, especially if you worked 40 hours a week. You'd need a few grand in vacuum chambers, pumps, and other various equipment to make more than a couple toys at a time, but those are one-time costs that will quickly be offset by revenue.

So being conservative and saying $20/toy, 6 toys per hour, 40 hours a week, that's nearly $5k/week profit. That's about $200k/year after taxes. HOWEVER, this assumes you can keep finding customers. Most of the small manufacturers have more customers than they can handle, and the large ones have multiple employees. Slot in among them and you stand to make some serious cash.

So why didn't I? Quite a few reasons.
1) I am pretty soft-hearted and hand out free stuff / no-questions-asked refunds / very low prices. I'd feel bad charging significantly more than what something cost me to make.
2) I live with my wife in a tiny little apartment that was already a quarter taken up by dick-making apparatus.
3) My day job and night job are both pretty good.
4) I don't think I could live with myself if I only ever made dicks for the rest of my life. Maybe making a bunch of cash would change that, maybe not, but from my current perspective that just seems depressing.
5) There is unending drama and stress. If you don't have thick skin, you won't make it far.

drat, as an unemployed recent graduate with student loan payments keeping me down, that doesn't sound too unappealing.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Dildomancer, would you be willing to share more about the your experiences with the actual ecommerce elements? My girlfriend and I are both relatively unhappy with our current careers and are considering starting online businesses to sell hand made / made products (the conversation actually started. She has the skill to make high quality products, and I have a history in web development and online marketing.

What what was simply starting your store like? Did it take long to get enough orders to be profitable (I know this will differ with different products)? What web/sales platforms would you recommend starting with?

I never would have thought to start a blog about dildos, but after reading this thread it seems as though it was a big part of the production. Did you use other social media?

Does ecommerce deserve its own thread?

• Locked thread